The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Players, The Game, The Editing ..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Current Message

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-03-06, 10:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
84. "Episode 3 music and end game predic..."
I want to talk about the 4 tribes and their music and editing prior to the merge and how I think it affects their longevity in this game.

Puka and Aitu

They had mostly serious music surrounding them and their confessionals. For Aitu I think there was much foreshadowing of their doom. Episode 1 Billy saying "I'd like to win this challenge but if we lose it won't be that big a deal this early in the game." Ozzy saying "We'll be the strongest tribe as long as we stay happy with each other." Jeff Probst in the challenge "Billy is holding Aitu back." In episode 2 we saw that they did not stay happy with each other and it caused Ozzy to decide on throwing the challenge to get rid of dead weight saying "It will help us in the short run and in the long run"

Apparantly not since after the merge Aitu was split down the middle and Cece was the boot. I have a strong feeling that JP and Cristina are in serious trouble in the next few episodes as the hispnaic tribe with the exception of Ozzy will become extinct. Ozzy's edit is for the long term and he will make the jury. I really think that the amount of snake rattles Ozzy received in his music editing in episode 2 will have him set up as a villian and he will not have a chance to win this season, even though his edit softened in episode 3.

Puka is a mixed bunch within the asian community as pointed out by Jenny in episode 1. Yul and Becky were shown to bond because of their like ethnicity and that continued stronger than ever in episode 3. Cao Boi said in episode 1 that "asians are always being underestimated, they fly under the radar so easy." I think that won't be the case as eventually each one of them will be noticed and picked off. In every season so far the eventual winner of that season has always been seen questioned at the first time they attend a tribal council. Becky and Cao Boi did not get shown to be asked a question, even though Becky was a boot target and Cao Boi was a big part of the voting story. This does not bode well for either of them as I have ruled them out as having any possibility to win this season.

Hiki and Raro

These two tribes were always surrounded with the happy percussive and playful type music, this bodes well and to me it says that the eventual winner of this season will come from either one of these tribes. I also have seen plenty of editing evidence that points to a woman winning rather than a man. How interesting will it be in a season segregated by race that it comes down to a gender war instead?

Episode 1 was a gender battle at Hiki. Sekou had told Nate "If they boot one of us, they are stupid." After Sekou's boot Nate made the episode 2 statement "These women have turned into strong sisters, they have stepped up." (Or something to that effect)

Other episode 1 tidbits:

Sundra “I could care less (about ethnic division)… when it comes to surviving, it’s a human effort”

Parvati “…different ethnic groups. Is that kosher? I don’t know but it’s a cool social experiment I think”

Adam “The tribes were divided by ethnicity but it doesn’t matter to me if its all white or any other type of race; the issue is what kind of people you have, their personalities and if you get along with them”

Jonathan “It is truly going to be a social experiment; fascinating to see how it plays out. I don’t believe that just because these groups have cultural similarities that that will make them more cohesive. This is Survivor and someone is gonna win a million dollars and they are gonna have to cut the throat of the guy next to him at some point”

Now we also know that Parvati's plan is to flirt and manipulate the men. She will "bite off their head and suck their blood." As noted by VS et al, this is a very different edit than the one Misty got as Nate even makes the comment "You are on top of it girl!"

Parvati's edit is also very different from Jerri's edit in S2. Jerri was edited as a black widow spider, a villianess edit. So far if anything Parvati is not getting a villianess edit despite the fact that she wants to manipulate the men, and her music edit is also very positive.

Episode 4 previews indicate some more gender riffs, if only as misdirection. In any case, Parvati is very visible in each episode even if she doesn't have a whole lot to say.

I get a strong feeling that a Hiki or Raro woman will win this season. Parvati is still my number one pick, followed by Sundra, and Rebecca. Sundra had a question asked of her at TC this week that was odd given that she wasn't much of the story at camp. Her reply “You can say vulnerable or valuable and I don’t give credit to either… use my gut… no way to guarantee the results of playing this game”

Candice' edit has had more chance to get fleshed out and yet hasn't, like the omission of her at exile island last week. I don't think she has a shot. Stephannie is an enigma to me, at times I think she could have a shot, and at others I think she will be doomed. Jessica is also an enigma and I haven't decided what her fate will be yet.

James Barber from another site made the following observations which I also agree with:

The editing for this season is bizarre. According to Becky, Cecilia was seen as the leader of the Aitutaki alliance, if not it's strongest member. However, almost anything interesting about her that could have been shown wasn't shown.

I'm not sure if this is yet more of Burnett's obsession with alpha males/"daddy" figures (this season Jonathan and Yul), but in every episode so far, women have been edited into the most subservient of roles -

left behind in E1 while Sekou/Nathan chose who should go to Exile; in E2 the men decided to throw a challenge, with Cecilia's role kept to a minimum and Cristina shown as having futile objections, while on Raro the women were there to observe the measuring contest between Jonathan/Adam. Stephannie was shown only because she was crucial to the outcome of E1. Most of Candice's role has been based on what a man thinks of her (Adam, Billy). The biggest "star" of the women so far has been Parvati, who talks only about flirting with men; after her comes Flica, who has been a perpetual screw-up. Rebecca has been spotlighted several times for starting a fire and doing well in challenges, but she never gets any airtime of her own. The big decisions all come from men.

I don't know if any season has ever had such a consistent, deliberate minimizing of women in the first three episodes. This might be setting viewers up for something - the women working together to get rid of JP, or the women banding together at the merge, the final players of the game being women. I have no idea. But it's so heavy-handed, the way the women have been edited, the only positive explanation I can think of is we're supposed to be shocked when they take over later in the game.

So in the final analysis when we look back at S13 the season that separated the tribes by race, the social lines are still drawn between the genders.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents
  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 The Players, The Game, The Editing ...   VerucaSalt     09-11-06       
   RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   Brownroach     09-11-06     1  
     RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   Capn2patch     09-12-06     11  
   RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   KObrien_fan     09-11-06     2  
   RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   Pretty_Kitty     09-11-06     3  
   RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   michel     09-11-06     4  
     RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   Brownroach     09-12-06     7  
   RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   RudyRules     09-11-06     5  
   RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   dreamerbeliever     09-11-06     6  
     RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   VerucaSalt     09-12-06     8  
         RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   Flowerpower     09-12-06     9  
             RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   Chez     09-14-06     17  
         RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   KObrien_fan     09-12-06     10  
             RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   geg6     09-14-06     12  
                 RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   Brownroach     09-14-06     13  
                     RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   geg6     09-14-06     15  
         RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   Brownroach     09-14-06     14  
             RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   geg6     09-14-06     16  
   RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   Velcrohead     09-14-06     18  
     RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   VerucaSalt     09-14-06     19  
         RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   geg6     09-14-06     20  
             RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   Velcrohead     09-14-06     21  
   RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   Outfrontgirl     09-14-06     22  
   RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   PepeLePew13     09-15-06     23  
     RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   Corvis     09-15-06     25  
         RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   Georgianna     09-16-06     30  
   RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   Brownroach     09-15-06     24  
     RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   emydi     09-15-06     27  
   Episode 1- The music and some quote...   KObrien_fan     09-15-06     26  
     RE: Episode 1- The music and some q...   PepeLePew13     09-15-06     28  
         RE: Episode 1 Thoughts   VerucaSalt     09-15-06     29  
             RE: Episode 1 Thoughts   Quest     09-16-06     31  
             RE: Episode 1 Thoughts   michel     09-16-06     32  
                 RE: Episode 1 Thoughts   Outfrontgirl     09-16-06     33  
   RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   Velcrohead     09-16-06     34  
   RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   KObrien_fan     09-16-06     35  
   Ep 1 comments   emydi     09-16-06     36  
     RE: Ep 1 comments   KObrien_fan     09-16-06     37  
     Visuals   michel     09-17-06     38  
         RE: Visuals   KObrien_fan     09-17-06     39  
             RE: Post 1 Editing   VerucaSalt     09-17-06     40  
                 RE: Post 1 Editing   Brownroach     09-18-06     42  
                     RE: Post 1 Editing   emydi     09-18-06     43  
         RE: Visuals   emydi     09-17-06     41  
             RE: Visuals   VerucaSalt     09-18-06     44  
                 RE: Visuals   Brownroach     09-18-06     45  
                     Episode One   VerucaSalt     09-18-06     46  
   RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   architecturegirl     09-19-06     47  
     RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   VerucaSalt     09-19-06     48  
         RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   forehead     09-19-06     49  
             Just an aside...   Brownroach     09-19-06     50  
                 RE: Just an aside...   emydi     09-19-06     51  
                     RE: Just an aside...   VerucaSalt     09-20-06     52  
                         RE: Just an aside...   forehead     09-20-06     53  
                             RE: Just an aside...   architecturegirl     09-20-06     54  
                                 RE: Just an aside...   VerucaSalt     09-20-06     55  
                                     RE: Episode 2 thoughts   VerucaSalt     09-22-06     56  
                                         RE: Episode 2 thoughts   Brownroach     09-22-06     57  
                                         RE: Episode 2 thoughts   architecturegirl     09-22-06     58  
                                             RE: Episode 2 thoughts   Outfrontgirl     09-22-06     59  
                                             RE: Episode 2 thoughts   Brownroach     09-23-06     62  
                                         RE: Episode 2 thoughts   Outfrontgirl     09-22-06     60  
                                             RE: Episode 2 thoughts   Flowerpower     09-23-06     61  
                                             RE: Episode 2 thoughts   Brownroach     09-23-06     63  
                                             RE: Episode 2 thoughts   michel     09-23-06     64  
                                             RE: Episode 2 thoughts   mavs_fan     09-23-06     65  
                                             RE: Episode 2 thoughts   Velcrohead     09-24-06     69  
   The music editing of Episode 2   KObrien_fan     09-23-06     66  
     RE: The music editing of Episode 2   emydi     09-23-06     67  
   Ep2--White Birds, Hermit Crabs and ...   emydi     09-23-06     68  
     RE: Ep2--White Birds, Hermit Crabs ...   VerucaSalt     09-24-06     70  
         RE: Ep2--White Birds, Hermit Crabs ...   Brownroach     09-25-06     71  
             RE: Ep2--White Birds, Hermit Crabs ...   VerucaSalt     09-26-06     72  
                 RE: Ep. 3 Thoughts   VerucaSalt     09-30-06     75  
   Episode 3 Thoughts   Velcrohead     09-30-06     73  
      Episode 3 Thoughts   michel     09-30-06     74  
          Episode 3 Thoughts--Flicka I am yo...   emydi     09-30-06     76  
             RE: Episode 3 Thoughts   Velcrohead     10-01-06     78  
   Ep 3 Animals and Ep 4 White bird ch...   emydi     10-01-06     77  
     RE: Ep 3 Animals and Ep 4 White bir...   VerucaSalt     10-02-06     79  
         RE: Ep 3 Animals and Ep 4 White bir...   michel     10-02-06     80  
             RE: Ep 3 Animals and Ep 4 White bir...   emydi     10-02-06     81  
             RE: Ep 3 Animals and Ep 4 White bir...   VerucaSalt     10-03-06     83  
     RE: Ep 3 Animals and Ep 4 White bir...   architecturegirl     10-02-06     82  
   Episode 3 music and end game predic...   KObrien_fan     10-03-06     84  
     RE: Episode 3 music and end game pr...   phatl     10-03-06     85  
   Episode 3 Analysis - sorry so late   architecturegirl     10-05-06     86  
     RE: Episode 3 Analysis - sorry so l...   forehead     10-05-06     87  
         RE: Episode 3 Analysis - sorry so l...   architecturegirl     10-05-06     88  
             RE: Episode 3 Analysis - sorry so l...   Brownroach     10-05-06     89  
                 RE: Episode 3 Analysis - sorry so l...   architecturegirl     10-05-06     90  
   EP 4--Just what do little oobies ta...   emydi     10-08-06     91  
     RE: EP 4--Just what do little oobie...   Flowerpower     10-08-06     92  
         RE: EP 4-- Teamwork   michel     10-08-06     93  
   Episode 4 Thoughts   Velcrohead     10-08-06     94  
     RE: Episode 4 Thoughts   michel     10-08-06     95  
         RE: Episode 4 Thoughts   VerucaSalt     10-09-06     96  
             RE: Episode 4 Thoughts   michel     10-09-06     97  
             RE: Episode 4 Thoughts   Flowerpower     10-09-06     98  
             RE: Episode 4 Thoughts   Flowerpower     10-11-06     99  
             RE: Episode 4 Thoughts   architecturegirl     10-12-06     100  
                 RE: Episode 4 Thoughts   VerucaSalt     10-12-06     101  
                     RE: Episode 5 Thoughts   VerucaSalt     10-13-06     102  
                         EP 5 EEK!! The Centipede is BACK!!   emydi     10-14-06     103  
                             RE: EP 5 EEK!! The Centipede is BAC...   Outfrontgirl     10-21-06     109  
                         RE: Episode 5 Thoughts   VolcanicGlass     10-14-06     104  
                             RE: Episode 5 Thoughts   Flowerpower     10-14-06     105  
                         RE: Episode 5 Thoughts   michel     10-14-06     106  
                             RE: Episode 5 Thoughts   VerucaSalt     10-16-06     107  
                                 RE: Episode 6 Thoughts   VerucaSalt     10-20-06     108  
                                     RE: Episode 6 Thoughts   michel     10-21-06     110  
                                         RE: Episode 6 Thoughts   VerucaSalt     10-22-06     111  
                                         RE: Episode 6 Thoughts   mimo     10-23-06     112  
                                             RE: Episode 6 Thoughts   forehead     10-23-06     113  
                                             RE: Episode 6 Thoughts   Flowerpower     10-24-06     114  
   Ep 6 the animals   emydi     10-24-06     115  
     RE: Ep 6 the animals   Flowerpower     10-25-06     116  
     RE: Ep 6 the animals   architecturegirl     10-25-06     117  
         RE: Ep 6 the animals   VerucaSalt     10-25-06     118  
             RE: Ep 6 the animals   Flowerpower     10-25-06     119  
                 Ozzy's insider gems   forehead     10-25-06     120  
                     RE: Ozzy's insider gems   architecturegirl     10-25-06     121  
                         RE: Ozzy's insider gems   tikigirlie     10-26-06     122  
                             RE: Ozzy's insider gems   architecturegirl     10-26-06     123  
   How about some recap?   michel     10-28-06     124  

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •