The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Cornertime Forum (Public)
Original message

weltek 16003 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-09-10, 12:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
LAST EDITED ON 09-22-10 AT 02:27 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 09-10-10 AT 08:11 PM (EST)

I was all set to have you make Chicken Sate/Satay, but given the difficulty peeps seem to have this summer making the recipes, I decided to go with something simpler, but still in the vein of chicken on a stick. So, while this isn't fancy, it's a quick dinner. Pics will be posted over the weekend, as I've encountered some obstacles this week in getting myself in order.

This recipe is based on something Dave made on Top Chef Season 1. It can be made on the grill, or on your stovetop in an oiled pan.

Tangy Chicken Skewers

1 lb. chicken breasts
2 Tbsp. cumin
1 1/2 Tbsp. oregano
salt
black pepper
5 Tbsp. honey (1 for marinade, 4 for sauce)
2 fresh oranges, juiced, or about 3/4 c. orange juice (used in both marinade and sauce)
1 Tbsp. vegetable, olive or canola oil
4 Tbsp. butter
Oil or cooking spray for skewers
Skewers (approximately five)

Optional (but highly recommended):
hot sauce and/or fresh, finely chopped hot pepper
about 1/4 c. chopped cilantro
orange zest

1. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes.

2. Mix cumin and oregano in small bowl.

3. Slice chicken breasts into strips (to eventually lace on skewers). Season strips liberally with salt and pepper. Sprinkle on cumin and oregano.

4. Mix 1/4 orange juice (and orange zest, optional, but highly worth it), 1 Tbsp. oil and 1 Tbsp. honey in a container or ziploc for marinating. Add chicken strips. Marinate for about 30 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, in a saucepan on your stove, mix butter, 4 Tbsp. honey, optional hot pepper or sauce, and about 1/2 orange juice in saucepan. Bring to a low boil. Cook about 10 minutes. You want it to be thick enough to stick to the chicken, but still be a "finishing sauce." Salt if needed.

6. Grease skewers with cooking oil or spray. Lace on chicken (I "weave" the slices on) and grill/cook. It only takes about 4 minutes per side, depending on how thin they are sliced. Keep a close eye on them.

7. Place finished skewers on plates or take off all the meat and place the chicken pieces, sans skewers, on a plate. Pour sauce over skewers. Top with fresh chopped cilantro, if desired.

ETA: This easily makes enough for four adults, and could stretch it to serve five.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers Tummy 09-09-10 1
   RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers weltek 09-09-10 6
 RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers Silvergirl1 09-09-10 2
   RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers Tummy 09-09-10 3
       RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers Silvergirl1 09-09-10 7
 RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers Starshine 09-09-10 4
   RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers weltek 09-09-10 5
       RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers Tummy 09-09-10 8
           RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers samboohoo 09-10-10 9
       RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers CTgirl 09-14-10 15
 RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers VisionQuest 09-10-10 10
 RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers Tummy 09-11-10 11
 RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers VisionQuest 09-11-10 12
   RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers weltek 09-15-10 17
 RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers qwertypie 09-11-10 13
 RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers Tummy 09-14-10 14
   RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers weltek 09-15-10 18
       RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers Tummy 09-15-10 20
 Tangy! Karchita 09-15-10 16
   RE: Tangy! weltek 09-15-10 19
       RE: Tangy! Karchita 09-15-10 21
 RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers Starshine 09-15-10 22
   qwerty? Karchita 09-15-10 23
   RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers Starshine 09-16-10 24
       RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers weltek 09-16-10 25
 RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers samboohoo 09-22-10 26
   RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers weltek 09-22-10 27
 RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers Snidget 09-24-10 28
 RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers CTgirl 09-27-10 29
 8 thumbs up! qwertypie 10-21-10 30

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Tummy 1988 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

09-09-10, 01:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
This sounds good. What side dish/es do you normally serve them with?
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

09-09-10, 03:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
I just made a lettuce salad this weekend (as you may have read, I had to throw this together for lunch at the last minute).

I've served it with rice and grilled veggies (and made extra sauce), but honestly have only made it a few times. Some cornbread might go nicely with the skewers, as it has a sweet mexican flair.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Silvergirl1 8694 desperate attention whore postings

09-09-10, 02:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"

This looks delicious, and I have everything to make it. Thanks!

I'll be making a new recipe for eggplant parmesan from allrecipes, too, and I wanted something to go with it. It think this will work fine. I might add some red and orange bell pepper to the skeweres.

An IceCat original, 2009

09-09-10, 02:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
Did you ever try out you're newfangled grilling pizza pan?

Silvergirl1 8694 desperate attention whore postings

09-09-10, 03:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"

No. Unfortunately, DH hasn't had time to show me how to use the grill, because of going to the DMV to get plates, and replacing a hot water heater, among other activities. I'll get to it, though. Maybe next week, as this week has been hectic.

I'm hosting the book club on Friday.

Starshine 3425 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-09-10, 03:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
This sounds really nice, will definitely buy skewers as well as yeast this weekend.

Lovely cheese Mooney

Just another Sleeperbloke

Bit worried now that my recipe is a little not summery

09-09-10, 03:11 PM (EST)
5. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
The weather is starting to turn chilly here and it's football season, so that means my cooking habits will be in flux between comfort foods and lighter foods.

-A Tribetastic Creation

09-09-10, 07:31 PM (EST)
8. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
Same here. Some days it's still hot, some days chilly.

I wouldn't worry Starshine.

samboohoo 15170 desperate attention whore postings

09-10-10, 09:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
I have a very comforting recipe coming up in just a few weeks. And it involves my crock pot.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

CTgirl 5879 desperate attention whore postings

09-14-10, 09:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
I got home late and didn't feel like making dinner and it was chilly out. I remembered that I had one more container of soup in the freezer from one of last winter's OT recipes. Yay for the OT cooking club! But I also can't believe that it's time to start making cool weather foods again!!

But then again, it also means that I will be able to catch up on some of the recipes that I haven't made yet.

VisionQuest 649 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-10-10, 09:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VisionQuest Click to send private message to VisionQuest Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
I was just making up my menu for the week. I had only come up with two meals and thought to myself, go to OT to get some inspiration. Lo and behold - this was the first topic. This will be tomorrow night's dinner. I can't wait to try this.

09-11-10, 05:48 PM (EST)
11. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
LAST EDITED ON 09-12-10 AT 09:30 AM (EST)

Thank goodness for my iphone. Made a grocery list that included the ingredients for this dish. Left it at home. Logged on with the phone and wa-la - I will now be making this tomorrow without having to go to the grocers AGAIN!

VisionQuest 649 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-11-10, 10:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VisionQuest Click to send private message to VisionQuest Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
Good reviews on this recipe from my household. Served it with quinoa, rice (dd hates quinoa), and an artichoke. DD took the sauce and spooned it over her rice. DH loved the taste. Really easy to make, really flavorful. I wish I had pics, but by the time I remembered the plates had nothing left on them.

Note: I forgot to add the cilantro at the end, but still was a success.

09-15-10, 10:28 AM (EST)
17. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
The sauce on rice sounds good-like chinese-american food!

-A Tribetastic Creation

qwertypie 7918 desperate attention whore postings

09-11-10, 10:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
Sound yummy.

Looks like this will be a catch up week for recipes

09-14-10, 10:16 AM (EST)
14. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
I couldn't find my camera , so I used an old, crappy camera for just one pic. I found MY camera after the meal had already been consumed. *sigh

I had some jalepenos that had gone to the red stage, so I finely chopped one of those and put in the sauce. Next time I will add a few pepper flakes as well, because it could have taken a little more heat. The sauce reminds me a little of The Cheesecake Factory's avocado rolls sauce. I love that sauce - it has tamarind in it though.

I doubled my batch of sauce and took half and added some red wine vinegar and a tiny bit of stone ground mustard and made it into a vinegarette for the salad. Oh my goodness - I loved it! and will do this again! And for us - the cilantro is a must. We're huge cilantro freaks and there's something about cilantro and honey together that is perfect.

The chicken was really good and spicy - and this was a super easy meal. Thanks Weltek!

not the best picture I've ever taken

09-15-10, 10:30 AM (EST)
18. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
Glad you thought it was easy. I was hoping peeps would find it simple. Unlike the asian shortrib noodle soup I made last night. It was good, but it was a lot of work for glorified ramen, but I digress...

Your skewers look like cute little lollipops.

-A Tribetastic Creation

09-15-10, 11:27 AM (EST)
20. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
I used the rest of the sauce for some grilled steaks last night and drizzled a bit on baked sweet potatoes. Yum! It was great on the sweet potatoes.

Karchita 3533 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

09-15-10, 02:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Tangy!"
I could tell from the recipe that this is the sort of food we like to eat around here and, sure enough, we liked it a lot. The chicken seemed exceptionally tender and the spices were just right and pleasingly unusual in combination.

I served it with plain jasmine rice and extra large cucumber-tomato salads in honor of you, Wellie.

The only changes I made were to use frozen cilantro, which looks disgusting, so I mixed it in the sauce, and I left out the honey. Neither Mr. Karchita nor I care much for fruit or sweetness in savory dishes and even without the honey, I was a bit concerned about the OJ making it too sweet, but it was delicious. I wouldn't have wanted it any sweeter, but with all the other flavors going on and the slight bitterness from the zest, it was fine.

I diced half of a fresh jalepeno for the sauce and it was nice and hot. I poured the extra over my rice. Yum, yum, yum. This is something I will serve to guests in the future.

Bouquet by c2p

09-15-10, 10:31 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Tangy!"
Glad you enjoyed! Did the sauce thicken a little, even without the honey, or was it pretty runny? I'm curious if the sugar in the oj helped it thicken at all.

-A Tribetastic Creation

09-15-10, 02:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Tangy!"
The sauce was thin but especially when eaten with the rice, it didn't matter. The globs of cilantro bulked it up a bit. I did add some salt and black pepper to it as well.

I also thought this recipe was easy. I like to make something like this when we have people over because most of it is make-ahead and DH is involved because he does the grilling. Otherwise, he isn't exactly a huge help. So if he grills, I have time to I do everything else, and he gets all the accolades, but I digress. I am very glad to have it in the rotation.

Bouquet by c2p

09-15-10, 04:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
Da*n Oregano

I have a bowl with salt, pepper and cumin in it all ready to rock and roll, thank heavens I hadn't squeezed the oranges yet!

Where the heck is the oregano and yeast that I purchased?

09-15-10, 06:37 PM (EST)
23. "qwerty?"
Is that you?

*giggle*

Bouquet by c2p

09-16-10, 04:02 PM (EST)
24. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
OK purchased Oregano and yeast today.

I added 4 dashes of Tabasco and ate it with rice and sweetcorn.

Abso-blooming-lutely brilliant, this is a 100% keeper I can see myself cooking this again and again.

And if I go to a barbie taking the sauce for a microwave and the marinade in a bowl this would make me insanely popular.

09-16-10, 04:47 PM (EST)
25. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
OTCC: Making us more popular with our friends since 2009.

Glad you liked it!

-A Tribetastic Creation

samboohoo 15170 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-10, 10:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
I made last night. I will have to post a picture from the house.

Prep:

I did not have an orange, but I had orange juice. I also had cilantro, but I didn't use it. I forgot and was somewhat rushed.

I bought chicken tenders by Perdue, so I didn't have to worry about the cutting process. My lacing was simply folding them - they actually looked like shrimp on the skewers.

We have very long metal skewers. I did not read all of the instructions before assembling. You tell us to lace them in Number 3 and in Number 6, so I laced them and then couldn't put them in a bag to marinate. But it worked out. I put the meat part in a shallow dish, and I just rotated them every 5 minutes. I also made a double batch of the marinade.

I served them on a plate with some Green Giant Steamed Veggie packs - corn for him, the cauliflower, cranberry & carrot for me. They were so good. I poured the sauce on both, but I gave him a little bowl for dipping extra. My sauce wasn't super thick, but it worked. It thickened more after cooking.

The chicken was super juicy.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

09-22-10, 02:26 PM (EST)
27. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
Ooopsie-guess I should go change that!

-A Tribetastic Creation

Snidget 35571 desperate attention whore postings

09-24-10, 05:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
Finally got around to this.

Was not in the mood for the skewers so I just did whole chicken breasts then did them on the indoor grill and they turned out really good, the marinade and sauce are definitely a keeper.

Served with Rice and sauteed spinach.

CTgirl 5879 desperate attention whore postings

09-27-10, 01:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: OTCC: Tangy Chicken Skewers"
I made these last week before I went on vacation so I don't remember much except that my DH loved them! Thanks Weltek! Easy and delicious is my kind of cooking.

I followed the recipe but used OJ and Penzey Spices grated Orange peel instead of fresh. I followed Starshine's suggestion to use Tabasco for the hot sauce. I had cilantro but forgot to chop it. Next time! My sauce was kind of thin and I wonder if it was because of the honey I used. I used honey from a local beekeeper that was mostly crystallized.

qwertypie 7918 desperate attention whore postings

10-21-10, 08:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "8 thumbs up!"
(because Mr. Qwerty isn't home yet).

I chickened out at the last minute and didn't broil the chicken on skewers because of the Sammo Whammo blammo factor (even with DD watching him, he managing to dump a full dishwashing liquid bottle on the floor of the bathroom. I have a lovely bruise on my elbow when I wiped out).

It was really good and the house smelled great. I am trying to catch up on the recipes so I served this with Ma Starshine's Baked Rice which was a great compliment.

Hopefully, I save some for when Mr. Qwerty gets home.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •