The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"OTCC: Steak, Jack Black Sauce, and Pepin Potatoes -- by Tummy"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Cornertime Forum (Public)
Original message

AyaK 8476 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-20-11, 02:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"OTCC: Steak, Jack Black Sauce, and Pepin Potatoes -- by Tummy"
Oops, let this thread and another drop into the archives. Here it is, in its entirety.
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: OTCC: Steak, Jack Black Sauce, ... AyaK 06-20-11 1

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

AyaK 8476 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-20-11, 02:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: OTCC: Steak, Jack Black Sauce, and Pepin Potatoes -- by Tummy"
URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 36221

Original Message
"OTCC - Steak, Jack Black Sauce and Pepin Potatoes"
Posted by Tummy on 12-08-10 at 10:57 AM

LAST EDITED ON 12-08-10 AT 01:11 PM (EST)
After much batting of eyelashes and pleading I'm taking pity on our Dear Buggy. She's so busy during this time of year, so I'm filling in. But thank goodness we still have Fuzzy Buggy Ball soup from her.

So I'm going fairly simple. Steak and potatoes.

Jack Black sauce

1/4 stick butter
1/2 onion - finely - really finely - chopped
1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
2 Tblspoons brown sugar
3 Tblspoons teryaki sauce
1 to 2 Tbl Jack Daniels

Saute onions in butter until the onions are clear. Add garlic saute a few minutes and then add the brown sugar. Stir until sugar is melted. Add teryaki sauce and Jack and heat through.

(note - I never measure for this so I'm approximating - a restaraunt we use to go to made a similar sauce and wouldn't give their recipe. So I went home and experimented until it tasted close. I'd add the Jack a little at a time until it suits your taste. Mushrooms are good in this also.)

2 steaks - whichever cut you want. Marbling is good
1 Tblspoon butter- softened
salt and pepper - or Montreal steak seasoning <--good stuff

Pre heat broiler. Pat steaks dry. Rub butter over steaks. Sprinkle with seasoning. About 5" from broiler place steaks, halfway thru cooking time flip steaks. Or however you like to cook your steaks - this recipe is really about the sauce and the potatoes. This is just my "it's too cold outside to grill" way to cook steaks.

Drizzle sauce over steaks.

About 4 min per side - rare
5 - med rare
6 - med
7 - med well
8 - well

Pepin Potatoes

Baby butter or other small potatoes
chicken stock
handful of rosemary - preferrably fresh but can use dried
1/2 stick butter
salt and pepper

In a skillet crowd potatoes in a single layer. Pour chicken stock over potatoes until it reaches halfway up sides. Throw in rosemary. Dab 1/4 stick of butter around. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook until tender. Take a large spoon and press on each potato (BE CAREFUL) until it cracks open slightly. Dab the rest of the butter around and continue to cook uncovered. The stock will absorb/evaporate. Continue cooking until a nice brown crust forms on bottom then flip. Brown both sides. Salt and pepper to taste.

I don't have pictures yet but will post in a day or so.

*snort - edited to add that it's actually Black Jack sauce. I guess Jack Black was thinking of me when I wrote that.

Table of contents
RE: OTCC - Steak, Jack Black Sauce and Pepin Potatoes,qwertypie, 12:23 PM, 12-08-10
RE: OTCC - Steak, Jack Black Sauce and Pepin Potatoes,Tummy, 04:08 PM, 12-08-10
RE: OTCC - Steak, Jack Black Sauce and Pepin Potatoes,weltek, 12:32 PM, 12-08-10
RE: OTCC - Steak, Jack Black Sauce and Pepin Potatoes,Snidget, 10:26 PM, 12-08-10
RE: OTCC - Steak, Jack Black Sauce and Pepin Potatoes,weltek, 11:04 AM, 12-09-10
RE: OTCC - Steak, Jack Black Sauce and Pepin Potatoes,moonbaby, 02:11 PM, 12-09-10
RE: OTCC - Steak, Jack Black Sauce and Pepin Potatoes,Tummy, 02:39 PM, 12-09-10
RE: OTCC - Steak, Jack Black Sauce and Pepin Potatoes,kidflash212, 02:42 PM, 12-16-10
RE: OTCC - Steak, Jack Black Sauce and Pepin Potatoes,qwertypie, 02:10 AM, 12-13-10
RE: OTCC - Steak, Jack Black Sauce and Pepin Potatoes,qwertypie, 06:36 PM, 12-15-10
RE: OTCC - Steak, Jack Black Sauce and Pepin Potatoes,qwertypie, 08:59 PM, 12-15-10
RE: OTCC - Steak, Jack Black Sauce and Pepin Potatoes,Tummy, 10:27 AM, 12-16-10
Yummmers!,weltek, 11:14 AM, 12-13-10
RE: Yummmers!,Tummy, 05:56 PM, 12-14-10
RE: OTCC - Steak, Jack Black Sauce and Pepin Potatoes,Tummy, 10:47 AM, 12-16-10
Hmmmm,weltek, 11:29 AM, 12-17-10
RE: Hmmmm,Tummy, 11:33 AM, 12-17-10
Results of THAT experiment,weltek, 02:03 PM, 12-20-10
RE: Results of THAT experiment,Tummy, 02:31 PM, 12-20-10
RE: Results of THAT experiment,weltek, 04:53 PM, 12-20-10
RE: Results of THAT experiment,Tummy, 05:06 PM, 12-20-10
Need recipes!,weltek, 09:39 PM, 12-22-10
RE: Need recipes!,Tummy, 00:47 AM, 12-23-10
RE: Need recipes!,weltek, 09:40 AM, 12-23-10
RE: OTCC - Steak, Jack Black Sauce and Pepin Potatoes,Snidget, 07:46 PM, 12-24-10
Messages in this discussion
"RE: OTCC - Steak, Jack Black Sauce and Pepin Potatoes"
Posted by qwertypie on 12-08-10 at 12:23 PM
OOOH - Can't wait to try this. I am glad you choose steak and potatos, mine is based on chicken and rice.
I assume all the Jack Daniels is used for the sauce and any amount thet chef chooses to drink is extra?

Posted by Tummy on 12-08-10 at 04:08 PM
I assume all the Jack Daniels is used for the sauce and any amount thet chef chooses to drink is extra?
Uh, yeah! Of course I take mine with a little Coke Zero.
Posted by weltek on 12-08-10 at 12:32 PM
LOL-I was thinking maybe you have a mad crush on Jack Black.
The timing is perfect. We are trying to use up our 2009 beef for the 2010 delivery in a few weeks. Just some steaks and burgers left. And liver. My MIL will be getting the liver on our Christmas visit.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Snidget on 12-08-10 at 10:26 PM
So...um...is that because you love your MIL and she loves liver, or because she doesn't like it and well, better her than you eating it?

Posted by weltek on 12-09-10 at 11:04 AM

Oh, and crap, I forgot to pull the steaks out to thaw.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by moonbaby on 12-09-10 at 02:11 PM
Whose liver will you deliver?
Oh, and is it so wrong to have maybe a small crush on Jack Black? It's something I can't explain

Posted by Tummy on 12-09-10 at 02:39 PM
"What became of your lamb, Clarice?"
Posted by kidflash212 on 12-16-10 at 02:42 PM
"Oh, and is it so wrong to have maybe a small crush on Jack Black?"
Yes.

Capn2patch put me in motion!

Posted by qwertypie on 12-13-10 at 02:10 AM
Got Mr. Qwerty to get all the ingredients for this, except I forgot to put steaks on the list *SMACKS HEAD*
So I picked up some today, I don't really know much about cuts of meat, but they look good (kind of on the expensive side, lots of marbling).

Hopefully (if I recover from the dentist) I'll try these tomorrow

Posted by qwertypie on 12-15-10 at 06:36 PM
Making this now, it smells divine
Posted by qwertypie on 12-15-10 at 08:59 PM
YUMMMM!
The potatoes were a big hit (DD calls them smashed potatoes). They didn't crisp up like I expected, but I was too lazy to make them in my preferred skillet. The sauce was great, DS loved it (he drank half before I could stop him). Definitely will do again (excuse to keep JD in the house) and I can see it going very well with chicken.
Posted by Tummy on 12-16-10 at 10:27 AM
My potatoes didn't crisp one time, I never figured out why. I always do them in the same skillet. Usually they get a nice, brown crust.
I could eat the sauce by itself. And it does go well with chicken.

Glad you enjoyed!

"Yummmers!"
Posted by weltek on 12-13-10 at 11:14 AM
Tried the steak (but not the potatoes) over the snowy weekend. The sauce is certainly a keeper and will now be a standard in our house! I didn't have teriyaki sauce, so substituted with just some soy sauce, apple juice (I had to work with what I had) and a little more brown sugar. Turned out just fine!

-A Tribetastic Creation

"RE: Yummmers!"
Posted by Tummy on 12-14-10 at 05:56 PM
Yay - glad you liked the sauce. Hope you try the potatoes.
My brother was over for the weekend. He and Rob went flyfishing for trout. Crazy men, it was freezing. So I had the steaks, sauce and potatoes waiting for them when they got home. When he packed up to leave he asked it if could take the left-overs home and asked that I send the potato recipe to his wife. I have pics but can't find the danged cord that attaches the camera to the computer. Will post if I find it. Urgh!

Posted by Tummy on 12-16-10 at 10:47 AM
Bonus hint: If you need to kill some time pull up some Jacques Pepin shows on youtube. I love this guy. Jacques Pepin More Fast Food My Way. He has a few cookbooks out too.
"Hmmmm"
Posted by weltek on 12-17-10 at 11:29 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-17-10 AT 11:31 AM (EST)
Well, I don't own a pressure canner, but I bet if make small bottles of this (thinking old hot sauce bottles we have) to give as Christmas gifts, it would store well in the fridge for awhile. Thoughts?

ETA: I'm tempted to label it "Nacho Libre Sauce," but I don't want to imply it's for nachos.

-A Tribetastic Creation

"RE: Hmmmm"
Posted by Tummy on 12-17-10 at 11:33 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-17-10 AT 11:33 AM (EST)
I don't see why not, it doesn't really have anything in it that would go back if refrigerated and the alcohol would help that anyway.

*a snort and an evil eye Maybe you could call it Gulliver Sauce
eta or better yet...School of Rock Sauce

"Results of THAT experiment"
Posted by weltek on 12-20-10 at 02:03 PM
Made it and realized the amount of butter was going to make it solidify in the fridge, and the butter would float to the top and the onions would sink to the bottom. Decided to pulverize it with the stick blender=great consistency! Put it in jars with instructions to scoop some out and heat before serving.

-A Tribetastic Creation

"RE: Results of THAT experiment"
Posted by Tummy on 12-20-10 at 02:31 PM
Are you making food baskets for everyone and what are you putting in them so far?
Posted by weltek on 12-20-10 at 04:53 PM
Yep-gifted yesterday! Not everything I wanted to do, but close.
-steak sauce
-beef ravioli
-cheese tortellini
-gnocchi
-spent grain bread
-cookie dough

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Tummy on 12-20-10 at 05:06 PM
Yummy!
I'm doing the apple/pear/pumpkin/sweet potato butters. Toffee and spicy nuts. I may attempt Breezy's bacon/bleu cheese cookiescoins also.

"Need recipes!"
Posted by weltek on 12-22-10 at 09:39 PM
Sweet potato butter has me curious, as I have an influx of them from Thanksgiving to use up before they go bad.
And I've always wanted a good pear butter recipe. Are they all generally the same? I've made apple butter, but never others.

-A Tribetastic Creation

"RE: Need recipes!"
Posted by Tummy on 12-23-10 at 00:47 AM
They are generally the same.
With the sweet potatoes - I bake them until soft. Then scoop them out and into the slow cooker they go. I add 1/4 cup liquid (with sweet potatoes I use orange juice) sugar to taste, cinnamon, cloves, some grated orange rind and pumpkin pie spice. 8 hrs on low, 4 on high.
Then puree in the food processor or blender.

Pear butter - I slice up my pears. I use the soft kind so I don't even peal, just wash really good. 1/4 cup apple cider. Sugar to taste. Cinnamon, nutmeg, ground ginger and a handful of candied ginger. Cook 8 hrs on low, 4 on high. Then puree in the food processor or blender. I just started adding the candiedd ginger and we really like it.

I want an apple peeler/corer for apple butter!

"RE: Need recipes!"
Posted by weltek on 12-23-10 at 09:40 AM
Thank you!
I might make some today while I'm feeling homemakery.
I think I need one of those apple peelers soon. Our apple trees planted years ago (as sticks) are just started to ramp up to where I can make batches of stuff. Maybe another year before I need one.

I bought a Cuisinart small ice cream maker last night.
http://www.cuisinart.com/products/ice_cream/ice-21.html
I had a $20 coupon to Best Buy and I've been wanting an easier one for awhile. Our other one is one where you pour salt in the bucket, and we never want to drag it out.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Snidget on 12-24-10 at 07:46 PM
Made a very nice Christmas Eve Dinner from this.
Sopped up the extra sauce with the potatoes, yummilicious!!!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •