The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"OTCC- Just desserts"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Cornertime Forum (Public)
Original message

woeisme1 3980 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

01-06-12, 02:47 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"OTCC- Just desserts"
LAST EDITED ON 01-08-12 AT 11:06 PM (EST)

I am posting a tad early as it is not the 6th in every time zone but it would be later tomorrow (for me) before I could post.

I would like 2 share 2 as I cannot choose between them, they are the most requested in my home, one takes less than 10 minutes (I kinda tried to share this before but called it by the wrong name since I didn't have the recipe at the time) and the other a bit longer overall but both are very simple.

As I have stated before I am more inclined to bake and the only recipe people ask for is a family secret so I can't share that one anyway.

First up is Turtle Pumkin Pie

Ingredients:

1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. caramel ice cream topping, divided
1 HONEY MAID Graham Pie Crust (6 oz.)
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. chopped PLANTERS Pecans, divided (I don't use the nuts myself)
2 pkg. (3.4 oz. each) JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding
1 cup cold milk
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed, divided

Process:

POUR 1/4 cup caramel topping into crust; sprinkle with 1/2 cup nuts.

BEAT next 5 ingredients in large bowl with whisk until well blended. Stir in 1-1/2 cups COOL WHIP; spoon into crust.

REFRIGERATE 1 hour. Top with remaining COOL WHIP, caramel topping and nuts just before serving.

Ingredients:

Mixture in bowl:

Caramel in crust:

Mixture in crust:

Finished:

The next thing I made was Cinnimon Rolls and the basic recipe is Freezer Bran Bread. I got this recipe from a package of Fleischmann’s yeast back in the late 70’s and loved it so much I attached it to a little recipe card and still use it today! It is designed to make 3 round loaves that you put into the freezer to use later but I usually double it if I plan to freeze any as I make cinnamon rolls with it or even pizza crusts, yummy. I know it seems like a lot of work but it really isn’t at all. It is the fastest bread recipe I have ever used.

The basic recipe: Freezer Bran Bread

Ingreients:

9 ½ Cups flour
3 Cups whole bran cereal
¼ Cup sugar
2 tsps salt (recipe says 4 but it is WAAAY too salty with that much, if you use the 4, triple the gugar to balance it but they are better just using the 2 to begin with, 1 1/2 is best)
3 packages of Fleischmann’s active dry yeast (I have used every variety of their yeast—all work wonderfully)
½ Cup butter or margarine (I only buy real butter)
3 Cups hot tap water (120*-130* F)
1/3 Cup dark molasses (at room temperature)
Butter/margarine (for coating)

Combine 2 cups flour, cereal, sugar, salt and yeast. Add butter.
Add water and molasses; beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Add 1 cup flour. Beat at high speed 2 minutes. Stir in more flour to make a stiff dough. Turn out onto floured board; knead until smooth and elastic (it will start to make a “squeaking” sound). Cover; let rest 15 minutes. Roll out into 3 pieces, 6 x6 inches each. Brush with butter. Place on greased baking sheet, brushed side up. Cover tightly with plastic wrap; freeze. When frozen, wrap each piece of dough with plastic wrap. Keep frozen up to 4 weeks. (I have left it longer and it was perfectly fine.)

Remove from freezer. Let thaw, about 2 ½ hrs (I find it doesn’t take that long but YMMV). Knead to form a ball (or if you want, loaf shape), Place in greased pan (or baking sheet if you are doing round). Cover; let rise until doubled, about 2 ½ hrs.

Bake at 350* for 40 to 45 minutes.

Now that you have the “basic” recipe, the only difference this time is I didn’t freeze it all, so I skipped the “butter top before freezer” part as I went ahead and rolled it out to make the rolls.

ROLLS:

On lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/8th in. thickness (about, can be thinner or thicker—it’s not precise). Brush on butter, all the way to edges. Cover with brown sugar (I have found a thick coating of this just melts out when it is baked anyway so I use a lighter coating). Sprinkle on Cinnamon—here it is a matter of preference, I tend to go heavy unless I am using Saigon Cinnamon as it has a bite to it if I use too much, but enough to basically cover the brown sugar.

Roll tightly. If your rolled dough isn’t perfectly square and more rectangular you can go either way, if you roll widthwise the rolls will be fatter and length wise will yield more rolls. Cut 1 inch slices. Pinch end closed and place on greased baking pan with sides (cookie sheets are flat and your gooey goodness will drip off the sides). Usually when I pinch the ends closed I will dip the bottom in the flour on the board and pat off the excess—this helps to keep it from sticking or burning.

Let rise to double; bake at 350* for about 15 minutes. Since ovens vary you want them to be very lightly browned on top (in reality they just look sort of dry on the outside and browned on the bottom) as they will continue cooking a little when you pull them out—this also makes for a softer roll.

After I pull them from oven I use this frosting immediately:
8 oz. package cream cheese, 1 TBS flour and enough powdered sugar to make a nice frosting. This can be as thick or thin as you want so if you want to add vanilla it is okay too. Spread heavily on rolls (the heat will melt it into the roll) and let cool. Sometimes after they cool I will spread a little more frosting on top to make them look pretty. ENJOY!!

Ingredients:

Dry ingredients mixed and butter added:

Add Molasses:

Add Water:

Beat 2 minutes:

Add 1 cup flour:

Add flour to make stiff dough:

Turn out onto FLOURED SURFACE:

Knead until smooth and elastic:

After Kneading:

Cover and let rest 15 minutes:

Split dough into 3:

Roll out to 1/8th in. thickness:

Smother with butter:

Cover with Brown Sugar:

Sprinkle on the cinnamon:

Roll snugly:

Cut into 1 ½ in. slices:

Pinch end and place on greased baking sheet with sides:

Plated:

ETF the description of done on the rolls and add I am trying to download the finished photo from my Tmobile album but am not having any luck getting it open.
Edited again to fix the salt amount and add plated roll. Finally!

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: OTCC- Just desserts qwertypie 01-06-12 1
   RE: OTCC- Just desserts woeisme1 01-07-12 4
 RE: OTCC- Just desserts Tummy 01-06-12 2
   RE: OTCC- Just desserts woeisme1 01-07-12 3
 RE: OTCC- Just desserts Penelope Le Pew 01-07-12 5
 RE: OTCC- Just desserts tribephyl 01-07-12 6
   RE: OTCC- Just desserts woeisme1 01-07-12 9
   RE: OTCC- Just desserts woeisme1 01-08-12 14
       RE: OTCC- Just desserts tribephyl 01-08-12 15
           RE: OTCC- Just desserts woeisme1 01-09-12 16
 Woe-question! weltek 01-07-12 7
   RE: Woe-question! woeisme1 01-07-12 8
       RE: Woe-question! weltek 01-07-12 10
           RE: Woe-question! woeisme1 01-08-12 11
               RE: Woe-question! weltek 01-08-12 12
                   RE: Woe-question! Karchita 01-08-12 13
 Adventures in Qwertyland (it's a lo... qwertypie 01-10-12 17
   RE: Adventures in Qwertyland (it's ... woeisme1 01-11-12 18
       RE: Adventures in Qwertyland (it's ... jbug 01-11-12 20
           RE: Adventures in Qwertyland (it's ... woeisme1 01-11-12 24
   RE: Adventures in Qwertyland (it's ... Tummy 01-11-12 19
       RE: Adventures in Qwertyland (it's ... qwertypie 01-11-12 23
           Salsa? woeisme1 01-11-12 25
               RE: Salsa? qwertypie 01-12-12 28
                   RE: Salsa? woeisme1 01-14-12 29
   RE: Adventures in Qwertyland (it's ... suzzee 01-12-12 26
 Square? jbug 01-11-12 21
   RE: Square? woeisme1 01-11-12 22
       RE: Square? suzzee 01-12-12 27
 Sticky Rolls Karchita 01-16-12 30
   RE: Sticky Rolls qwertypie 01-16-12 31
       RE: Sticky Rolls Karchita 01-17-12 32
   RE: Sticky Rolls woeisme1 01-22-12 35
       RE: Sticky Rolls Karchita 01-23-12 36
 RE: OTCC- Just desserts frodis 01-22-12 33
   RE: OTCC- Just desserts woeisme1 01-22-12 34

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

qwertypie 9579 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-06-12, 03:43 AM (EST)
1. "RE: OTCC- Just desserts"
They both look yummy! I think I'll let the girls help with these.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

01-07-12, 03:36 AM (EST)
4. "RE: OTCC- Just desserts"
And indeed, they both ARE yummy! And simple. The girls will enjoy that!

Tummy 3418 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-06-12, 10:29 AM (EST)
2. "RE: OTCC- Just desserts"
We're having company this weekend so homemade cinnamon rolls will be a treat. I'll have to make half with pecans and raisins to keep Rob happy.

He makes cinnamon rolls almost every Christmas morning so he thinks he's the master roll maker. We will see.

01-07-12, 03:30 AM (EST)
3. "RE: OTCC- Just desserts"
It has been my experience, with these rolls, that people are willing to pay money for me to make them after they try them. I will make them anyway, they really are so quick and easy, the longest time is when they are rising before baking. I will sometimes turn the light on in the oven, cover them with the towel and stick them in the oven to rise and this speeds up the "doubling" time when I am in a hurry.

He may think he is the master but after this you will be the queen of roll making.

Penelope Le Pew 2023 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

01-07-12, 10:51 AM (EST)
5. "RE: OTCC- Just desserts"
Drooling... maybe I would try cinnamon rolls.

tribephyl 8955 desperate attention whore postings

01-07-12, 05:22 PM (EST)
6. "RE: OTCC- Just desserts"
I keep waiting for the finished picture but to be honest I'm tempted to eat the cinny-buns at their pre-cooked stage, they look so amazing. *drool*

01-07-12, 08:21 PM (EST)
9. "RE: OTCC- Just desserts"
For some reason I can't get the album in TMobile to open up before my "session" is timed out. I did order a nice new camera with a 30X lense as a birthday gift to myself and it should be here in a week or so. Then pics will never be an issue again.

Besides, the whales are in and I want to be able to see them better from my office

01-08-12, 11:10 PM (EST)
14. "RE: OTCC- Just desserts"
I made them again today since I wanted a loaf of bread So I took a pic with my little digital camera and though the lighting didn't do it justice, I did update and added it. I forgot to take a pic when they came out of the oven though.

tribephyl 8955 desperate attention whore postings

01-08-12, 11:40 PM (EST)
15. "RE: OTCC- Just desserts"
Thank you. Got all the ingredients and am gonna whip up a batch in the morning. I'm excited.

01-09-12, 00:18 AM (EST)
16. "RE: OTCC- Just desserts"
They smell so wonderful when you put them in the oven. Today one of my neighbors stopped by and he told me so

weltek 16861 desperate attention whore postings

01-07-12, 06:21 PM (EST)
7. "Woe-question!"
LAST EDITED ON 01-07-12 AT 08:10 PM (EST)

I'm making the bread dough now...is the butter supposed to be hard, soft or melted when added to the dry ingredients??
ETA: Woops, I see in your photo it looks soft. Luckily that's what I did!

-Handcrafted by RollDdice

01-07-12, 08:18 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Woe-question!"
It's easier when it's soft but if you use it cold the hot water will eventually melt it. I really hope you like these!

I will make more tomorrow.

01-07-12, 11:21 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Woe-question!"
These are definitely unlike any cinnamon roll I've made! I like the little crunch the bran adds. It's almost like soft nuts, but without the calories. They were nice and moist-not dry like some I've tried.

I used fake low fat butter for the brown sugar/cinnamon/butter filling, and it worked out fine, but did use regular butter in the dough itself.

I think I prefer a more brioche style dough with eggs, but these are certainly a tasty twist and I like the healthy bran aspect. Everyone should try these.

01-08-12, 01:28 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Woe-question!"

What kind of bran cereal did you use? Mine are never crunchy but I just use bran flakes. They come out light and tastey for me.

I am glad you tried them and though not your preference, that you liked them

And the dough was pretty easy to whip up don't you think?

01-08-12, 02:52 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Woe-question!"
I didn't use bran flakes-I the bran that looks like chow mein noodles. Guess that solves that mystery!

It was easy-and I had help from my Kitchen Aid, but still had to dump it on to the counter for the last cup of flour. It filled up my big 6 qt. bowl!

Karchita 4297 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-08-12, 03:28 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Woe-question!"
I went to the bran flakes department of my grocery store yesterday and got all confuzzled. Now I know that I want the flakes.

01-10-12, 11:56 PM (EST)
17. "Adventures in Qwertyland (it's a long one)"
It's ultimately my fault, really. I should have made the recipes (this and the gnudis) when the kids were in school. But I was so tired (Sam only sleeps a bout 6 hours a night) and decided that kidless portion of the first day back to school would be better spent doing a workout and sleeping.

I cleared off the table and gathered all the ingredients to make the bran cinnamon buns. Lucky me, I had exactly enough flour. So far so good. Then, I tried to find a large metal bowl to mix the ingredients. I know I have at least 3, but the only two I can find have serious convex dents in them. Now I know how Sam spent his time the one time we were able to get a sitter over the holidays. I checked Sam's room for the 3rd bowl -- no such luck. But, I was able to find one of the beaters for hand mixer with one of the edges really bent out of shape. I straightened out the beater, as best I could (I pretended I was bending jail cell bars -- I figure I could use the practise).

I ask the girls if they have seen the metal bowl. Kate thought a moment and exclaimed "Oh I used one for my pet worms."
"Pet worms? Honey, where are your pet worms now?" I was not sure I wanted to hear the answer.
"Outside, I think I left them behind the garage." Well, at least they weren't in her room.

So I went outside to check on the status of the worm palace and decided to grab a hammer from the garage on the way back in.
I then spent several mintues trying to pound the metal bowls back into a semi concave shape. Sam starting freaking at the noise (funny, it obviously didn't to bother him when he was pounding the bejeebus out of the bowls in the first place.)

I dumped all the flour, sugar and cereal in the bowl. Just before I added the yeast, I stopped. Something didn't seem right. I got Sarah to re-read the recipe and realize I was only supposed to put 2 cups of flour, not the full 9 1/2 cups (my only defense is that I was distracted by Sam). Kate is now conscripted to sift the cereal from the flour.

I put 2 cups of flour, the yeast, the cereal, the sugar, the water and molasses and start the mixing. It quickly became obvious that I did not straighten the beater enough because the dough became very lopsided on one beater and threw the balance off.

*mental note to pick up new mixer*

Then a call from oldest DD that Sam had locked himself in the bathroom. Actually, barracaded is a better description. It seems Sammo Whammo had rolled his mini-trampoline into the bathroom, tipped it over and wedged it between the door and the bathtub. Thankfully I was able to open the door just enough that I could partially tip the tampoline get into the room.

Sam, of course had dumped a bunch of cereal in the sink, blocking the drain. I figured I would deal with that later as a crash and a "OH NO!!!!!" came from the kitchen. Kate, who was almost done sifting the flour, accidently knocked over the bowl. I was now 3 cups short for the flour. But I didn't give up because I had whole wheat flour in the fridge and replaced the 3 cups with that.

I worked the dough as best I could manually (Woe is right -- it actually squeaks when you roll it!). One thing I will say, it gives you a good arm workout.

We rolled out the dough (which looked no where near as nice as Woe's) and made the cinnamon buns (rolls for you Yanks), covered them and let them rise. Well, we tried to let them rise because Sam kept taking off the towels.

Just before I was ready to pop them in the oven, I took one last look at the computer to make sure I didn't forget anything. And immediately get sprayed in the face with diet Coke which is now spewing from a punctured, depressurizing can. (Thanks Sam.) I rush to cover the keyboard which is now getting diet Coke dripped on from the ceiling.

After coralling the can, drying off the ceiling and the keyboard, I put the cinnamon buns in the oven. Except the two that Sam ate raw.

TBC.

01-11-12, 01:43 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Adventures in Qwertyland (it's a long one)"
LAST EDITED ON 01-11-12 AT 01:44 AM (EST)

I can't wait to hear the rest of the story

I love stories *claps hands and shrieks with glee* lol
ETF wierd link that shouldn't have been there

jbug 16144 desperate attention whore postings

01-11-12, 11:08 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Adventures in Qwertyland (it's a long one)"
You can't beat this kind of entertainment.

Agman has my heart 2012

01-11-12, 10:48 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Adventures in Qwertyland (it's a long one)"
I know! Ain't it great?

Tummy 3418 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-11-12, 10:36 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Adventures in Qwertyland (it's a long one)"
Holy crap - I hope those were the best cinnamon buns you've ever had in your life!

01-11-12, 04:04 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Adventures in Qwertyland (it's a long one)"
Pretty close. I think any points deducted were on my end rather than Woe's.

SO, after calming Sam down who was crying after I yelled when I was showered with diet Coke (at least it wasn't my last one -- that would have been a major melt down (by me)) --ASIDE Did you know Sam actually cries "Boo Hoo Hoo!"? The kid hasn't spoken a word since he was 2, but when he cries, "Boo Hoo Hoo!" comes out. Very strange.

Anyways, the buns/rolls come out of the oven and I slather them with cream cheese frosting.

Woe is perfectly correct when she says the buns will soften up a bit (and taste much better) when you let them sit for awhile when they come out of the oven. I am not a patient person and had one right away. It wasn't bad, but it tasted and had the texture of being 'healthy' (and I think I violated some tipping point ratio of whole wheat to regular flour for baking). About 20 minutes later the rest of the crew tried some and raved about how good they were, so I tried another. What a difference! The flavours mellowed and became 'less serious'(I think it was because the molasses wasn't as noticeable)and the texture softer.

I am interested in trying these again (without the help of the crew), when I have working equipment and the correct ingredients, because I am curious how they are supposed to taste.

OTHER NOTES: Don't skimp on the butter when spreading the dough before the brown sugar and cinnamon. The ones that Kate buttered were tastier than mine because I tended to be very stingy (again, forgetting that the dough had much less butter than my usual recipe so I could afford to splurge abit on the filling). Sam preferred his baked cinnamon buns in salsa. YMMV

01-11-12, 10:59 PM (EST)
25. "Salsa?"
You might enjoy this one and Sam might, too, kids love it!

SALSA

This was originally my sisters “recipe” (if one can call it a recipe as there are absolutely NO measurements) and it is NOT a “hot” salsa. I use to make it by the gallon as I always had a “salsa” garden growing, everything you see here except the salt and pepper I can’t tell you how much of any one thing to use, it is more according to how much you want to make but I will give you the amounts of the items I did use for this batch.

Ingredients:
9 Roma tomatoes (Though you can use any large tomatoe, these were just the least expensive that day)
7 Tomatillos
1 Large onion (Here you can use any type of large onion also, I chose the yellow as it is hotter to add a “bite” since I can’t really have “hot or spicy”)
1 “Bunch” of Chinese Parsley (Mainlanders call it Cilantro but it is, in fact, Chinese Parsley)
½ of a “head” of Garlic (I forgot to count the actual “cloves”)

Process:
I find it easiest to de-skin and chop the tomatillos first, along with the garlic, this way they can be on low heat and “reducing” while you chop everything else.
As you chop the tomatoes, throw them into a strainer/sieve/colander so the juices can run off until you are almost ready to add the tomatillos. When you are nearly ready, transfer to a bowl, add the onions, then the “reduced” tomatillos and cilantro last. Salt and pepper to your liking (I sometimes will throw in some garlic salt as well). Get out your chips and watch it disappear! Also good on eggs or any time you would add salsa to something.

Ingredients:

Skin tomatillos:

Tomatillos and garlic into skillet:

Strain chopped tomatoes:

Chop cilantro:

Chop onions:

Added to chopped tomatoes:

“Reduced” tomatillos, will have consistancy of oatmeal, sorta:

Add to tomatoes and onions:

Add cilantro last, salt and pepper to your taste:

“Plated”

It is vital to drain tomatoe juices off as it will become liquidy when refridgerated, just drain this off as well, it doesn't affect the flavor at all.

Okay, I'll stop sliding recipes in. I promise.

01-12-12, 05:58 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Salsa?"
Looks promising

01-14-12, 03:35 AM (EST)
29. "RE: Salsa?"
When the kids were older and enjoyed a "hotter" salsa I would very finely chop a Serrano Pepper and throw in. It still wasn't as hot as the hot salsas one can buy but it was very yummy. I am making it again this weekend, with the Serrano in it

suzzee 4345 desperate attention whore postings

01-12-12, 12:30 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Adventures in Qwertyland (it's a long one)"
You Canadians sure know how to party!!

Where else would a hammer be a kitchen utensil. BTW I keep a hammer in the kitchen anyway. It's my pink handled girl hammer that hopefully the men would be too afraid to take into the manly garage area. So far so good. I'm getting pink tools from now on.

Besides I use them more then they do anyway.

Tribe made me flaky

jbug 16144 desperate attention whore postings

01-11-12, 11:10 AM (EST)
21. "Square?"
I just noticed; you mix in a square bowl!
How do you get the buns to turn out round?
I do not own a square bowl

Agman has my heart 2012

01-11-12, 12:29 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Square?"
There's a short (very short) story to the "square bowl" My grandmothers bread recipe calls for 16 cups of flour and so I bought a dishpan since none of my bowls were big enough to accomodate the mass that I would also let rise in said bowl. And usually I double THIS recipe which means 19 cups of flour plus the other stuff, so you can see why I needed a bigger tub Plus it stores more easily.

suzzee 4345 desperate attention whore postings

01-12-12, 12:33 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Square?"
That's not a bad idea, I bet it's more stable when you mix, stops all that wobbling around.

A Tribe masterpiece

01-16-12, 09:40 PM (EST)
30. "Sticky Rolls "
LAST EDITED ON 01-16-12 AT 10:45 PM (EST)

I am not a cinnamon roll fan. As I understand it, there are the cinnamon roll fans, and then there are the sticky roll fans. I fall very soundly on the sticky side of the divide. My mother used to make sticky rolls that were to die for and I have never found anything remotely as good as her homemade ones. All my siblings just drool at the memory of them. I know I am spoiled, but after many disappointments of sampling other rolls, I do not even see the point of eating any others.

I had to start making them myself, but since there are just the two of us, we seldom have company for breakfast, and DH isn’t much of an eater of sweets anyhow, I rarely make them, like once every few years. When I do make them, I follow her recipe using white flour, a few currants, no nuts, and a super delicious caramel topping.

So this recipe definitely caught my eye. I have been getting all the ingredients assembled and when it started to snow yesterday (which in Seattle means it’s not a good idea to leave the house since there are crazy people driving cars who will try to kill you), I figured it was the perfect time to make sticky rolls and I would try not to eat them all. I followed the dough recipe, but otherwise made them like my mom’s. I halved it, froze two thirds, and made mini pans of the half batch thinking I might freeze some or give some away. Ha! Apparently, I was fooling myself because I pretty much ate them all anyhow. But, man, were they good.

With the bran, they are practically a health food. That’s my story and I am ‘sticking’ to it.

Woe, thanks for sharing a great recipe. I would certainly make them this way again and will relish the other two batches that are in the freezer.

01-16-12, 11:18 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Sticky Rolls "
So what do you change to make it a 'sticky roll'?

01-17-12, 01:26 AM (EST)
32. "RE: Sticky Rolls "
They are really similar, but for sticky rolls, you make a caramel sauce, pour it in the bottom of the pan, put the cut rolls on top of the sauce close enough that they will be touching when done, let rise, bake, and then flip the pan over so the caramel is on top. They turn out looking like this:

A lot of times there are nuts on top of the sticky stuff, but I don't do that.

I took a few pictures but who knows if I will ever post them. Probably not.

01-22-12, 09:03 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Sticky Rolls "
I am so glad you liked this recipe I had been thinking maybe nobody would want to try my recipes or like them the way I do before I committed to participating so it makes me feel so much better about my contributions to OTCC.....Thank YOU!

Am thinking I will try it your way with the caramel, do you just use the caramel dipping sauce like for apples or ice cream?

01-23-12, 00:22 AM (EST)
36. "RE: Sticky Rolls "
This recipe is great! I used to make yeasted things all the time but don't do it very often any more. One of the best things about OTCC is how it gets me out of my ruts.

For the sticky stuff, just make it yourself. For one 13x9" or two 8" cake pans, use 1 cup of brown sugar (dark is better), 1/2 cup of butter and 1-3 tablespoons of honey or corn syrup. The more you use the more runny the caramel will be in the end. I like it almost chewy, so I don't use it at all.

Just heat everything together in a saucepan or in the microwave until it boils and the sugar is dissolved. Then pour it while it is still hot into your cake pans. If you want to use pecans, sprinkle them on the syrup. If making them with the sticky topping, I would use a bit less of the butter/sugar/cinnamon filling, but obviously it's personal taste. Place the rolls pretty close together, maybe about an inch apart, so after they have risen they'll be touching. Have fun!

frodis 4407 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-12, 03:21 PM (EST)
33. "RE: OTCC- Just desserts"
Yummy yummy.

We had snow Friday, so I figured I'd surprise my family Saturday morning with hot fresh cinnamon rolls. They were a big hit!

I did not have bran flakes, so I subbed in whole wheat flour for some of the all purpose. I also cut the recipe down a bit since my Kitchenaid would struggle with a recipe this large, and I'm very lazy when it comes to mixing things by hand, (sad but true.)

I made the dough and let it rise til double before punching down and rolling it out into the cinnamon rolls. One dozen rolls got nestled into a 9x13 pan, covered, and set on the counter to rise so that they were puffy and ready to toss in the oven in the morning. Delicious. 8 rolls were nestled into a round cake pan and put into the fridge. We baked and ate those today. The final dozen were popped into the freezer right after rollling and slicing them, and will be a breakfast treat some other weekend.

I will never, ever buy cinnamon rolls again. This was an easy, after dinner project on Friday night and the reaction from my family Saturday morning was priceless.

Thanks, Woe!

01-22-12, 08:53 PM (EST)
34. "RE: OTCC- Just desserts"
They are wonderful, aren't they? I never thought to make the rolls and put in the freezer, I just always followed the recipe and put the flats of dough in for a later day. Thanks for that wonderful tip.

I am so glad you liked them. I have a friend visiting who found my loaf of bread in the fridge and asked what kind it was. I said I made it and after he tried it said it was the best bread he'd had in forever

I just love that it is so simple and easy to make and store.

My lvoe to you and your family

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •