The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Signs of Survival: Sort of ... "
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Current Message

Georjanna 1316 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

01-03-13, 02:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Georjanna Click to send private message to Georjanna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of ....."
LAST EDITED ON 01-03-13 AT 12:45 PM (EST)

Keep up the great work!

Well, what do you think, Pepe? ‘Cause, I’m pretty darned pleased with our reference library …

We have Eastern and Western profiles for every Sign and each is accompanied by a list of every native of the Sign to ever play the Game with the exception of sixteen players from South Pacific (Mark, Stacey, Jim, Edna, Rick and Albert), One World (Bill, Jonas, Michael, Leif, Tarzan, Alicia and Chelsea) and Philippines (Carter, Katie and Roxanne). And, I had (as I said earlier) thought to not include any of the Survivors from those Seasons in the lists until I could include them all. And hopefully, I’ll have identified the 16 well before the premiere of Caramoan.

But I’ve decided that it’s a little silly to toss away what the behaviors and accomplishments (and/or failures) of 38 players might teach us in the meantime: I’ve edited the lists to add them.

So, the (Eastern/Western) Profiles gathered here represent some of Astrology’s best efforts to communicate it’s predictions of the common social behaviors and traits that the natives of the Signs are most likely to exhibit in the ordinary course of events. And, the lists of - 387 - Survivors grouped by (Western)Element and Sign, are my best effort to catalog and illustrate (via our collective memory of them) those behaviors and traits as they have been exhibited during the course of an extraordinary event – Survivor.

In addition, as nice as it certainly is to have all of the research that she’s contributed, the thread now contains several of OFG’s signature – concise, insightful, accurate and entertaining – observations of the Signs’ unique behaviors. And, because I am, regrettably, usually oblivious to the finer points of strategies, alliance-building and editorial manipulation – and to the subtleties of a personality - her reminders like this one - “I think of the planets and ascendant as ingredients in our personal cocktail of attributes, and one is not going to be just like anyone else ... As with a recipe, even one different ingredient or a different amount of it can altogether change the impression, but if one is a good taster, one can perceive the underlying ingredients.” – are, always very welcome, reality checks for me.

Too, I do read all of the Forum’s threads and it has not escaped me, sir, that you are no slouch at critical observation and analysis, either. So, for that fact – and for your good company – it’s going to be very nice to have you around.

And now come the cautions:

1. Because the Game is a crisis environment for its players, I try to pay particular attention to those portions of the Profiles that discuss the traits and behaviors of the Signs’ natives when they are under duress: familiarity with those behaviors can sometimes – see the Counterfeit Clause in #2, below – help me to recognize the Survivors who are playing the Game outside ‘their own skin’ – usually to no good end. The midst of a crisis is not an optimal time to attempt to reinvent a personality.

2. The two faces of Stephenie/Coach/ Jerri, etc. are shining examples of Survivor’s editors’ extraordinary talent for sleight-of-edit. And knowing the core traits and behaviors of the Signs predicted by the Profiles can be a huge help in determining whether you’re seeing an honest … or a counterfeit … portrayal of a player’s behavior. Too, the Profiles can certainly be invaluable as a primary source in the identification of the Signs/Survivors who are ‘Most likely to (do/be)_________’ when they show up on our screens.

But, relying solely on the Profiles to provide our answers to those ‘Most likely … ’ questions presents a problem precisely because so much of what we see of the Survivors' behaviors is so extensively - and often disingenuously - edited.

And that’s where, I think, our curious (and cooperative) village - and our pigeonholed lists of former players - come in.

For instance, you've asked if we might be able to associate a particular Sign (or Signs) with the Survivor Character of Narrator. And in that case, we could begin, I suppose, with a list of probable candidates: Sun Signs whose Profiles and reputations in other discrete venues indicate that they have produced excellent communicators. For instance – from the world of Politics – Aquarius (Ronald Reagan, FDR and Abraham Lincoln), Gemini (JFK) – Note: George H.W. Bush is the other Gemini to have served as the United States’ Chief Executive - Leo (Bill Clinton and Barack Obama), Scorpio (Theodore Roosevelt), Virgo (Lyndon Johnson) and Sagittarius (Winston Churchill) come to mind.

And while it is true that the sometimes-less-than-eloquent George W. Bush is a Cancer, it is also true that so are Bill Cosby and Cirie.

But …

We’re not hoping to identify the next silver-tongued President or Prime Minister. So, rather than take the long way around, I think that the most expedient way for us to pursue your questions would be for you - and everyone else who would like to join in - to furnish a list of the players that each of you recognize as Survivor’s Narrators – I can’t be helpful with that simply because over the years I have paid little attention to who was delivering the Game’s story lines unless that delivery irritated me. And my attention to anything that irritates me is very short-lived.

Note ...

In fact, I won’t be much help with the ‘Character’ lists at all. It just is not the way I watch Survivor. Instead, I am fascinated by the display of the Signs’ core behaviors in the Game and I watch each Season as a contest between the compatible Earth and Water Signs (Capricorn, Taurus, Virgo, Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces) and the compatible Fire and Air Signs (Aries, Leo, Sagittarius, Libra, Aquarius and Gemini).

And I think of ‘roles’ only in terms of the players’ innate predisposition to those of Strategist/Leader (Superior), Tactician/Supporter (Subordinate) or Anarchist/Independent (Soloist).

So, I’m afraid that, instead of Femme Fatales (for instance), I see scratched, bruised and bug-bitten young women with filthy hair, nails and scraps of clothing. And, to me, every male who plays the Game seems to think of himself as an Alpha! But I do see Capricorn, Scorpio, Aries and Leo as Alpha Signs.

However …

I can reconcile the lists and then match the Narrators with their Signs. And we’ll see if we can discover patterns that will allow us to reliably identify the Series’ most likely storytellers – before they appear on our screens in Caramoan..

In other words, the past being the most accurate predictor of the future, what we need to know is which Signs its producers and editors have consistently trusted to tell Survivor’s stories. Because, in analyzing both editing and casting, ’Pattern’ is the name of the game.

As for the Villains …

The identification of the Game’s Narrators will be pretty straightforward, I would think, for those of you who, unlike me, have given them the attention that they deserve.

But ...

The identification of its Villains is, I think, going to be very subjective. And referring to the rosters for Heroes and Villains doesn’t help much. Because it would seem that in the opinion of the show’s producers, Amanda (the Leo) is a Hero. But Sandra (the Leo), is a Villain. And the Aries, Randy and Courtney, are Villains. However, the Aries, Colby, is labeled a Hero. No ambivalence about Virgo, though. All three of these hapless Earth natives were adjudged - Villains.

So …

I’ll suggest that we approach all of the 'Character Projects' in the same - Lists (of Survivors who have ‘played’ the Character) + Their Signs = Pattern – fashion. As I mentioned in my short post above, whatever the outcome, I think that the discussions are going to be a lot of fun.

And I’ll venture some guesses:

I think that the Water Signs (Cancer and Pisces) will turn up often as “Quiet Types”. And I think that Virgo will be the most popular Sign on the Villains, Troublemakers - and, with Pisces - Angry with a Chip on the Shoulder, lists.

Taurus will appear frequently as an Appeaser - and, with Capricorn - as an Alpha Male. And the Thinkers/Analysts lists will feature Libra and Aquarius.

G

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents
  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Signs of Survival: Sort of ...   Georjanna     12-16-12       
   RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Outfrontgirl     12-17-12     1  
     RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   PepeLePew13     12-17-12     2  
         RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Georjanna     12-20-12     4  
             RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Outfrontgirl     12-20-12     6  
                 RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Georjanna     12-20-12     9  
             RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   PepeLePew13     12-22-12     26  
                 RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Georjanna     12-29-12     32  
                 RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Georjanna     01-03-13     37  
                 RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Georjanna     01-03-13     38  
                 Some Fun Shorthand ...   Georjanna     01-04-13     39  
     RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Georjanna     12-18-12     3  
         RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Outfrontgirl     12-20-12     5  
             RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Georjanna     12-20-12     8  
                 RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Outfrontgirl     12-21-12     11  
                     RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Georjanna     12-21-12     12  
             RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Georjanna     12-20-12     10  
         RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Outfrontgirl     12-20-12     7  
   RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Georjanna     12-21-12     13  
     RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Georjanna     12-21-12     14  
     RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Georjanna     12-21-12     15  
     RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Georjanna     12-21-12     16  
     RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Georjanna     12-21-12     17  
         RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Outfrontgirl     12-21-12     18  
             RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Georjanna     12-21-12     19  
                 RE: Signs of Survival: Sort of .....   Outfrontgirl     12-22-12     20  
   S26 Faves Chinese Lunar Signs   Outfrontgirl     12-22-12     21  
     A comparison of Chinese and Western...   Outfrontgirl     12-22-12     22  
         RE: A comparison of Chinese and Wes...   Georjanna     12-22-12     24  
             RE: A comparison of Chinese and Wes...   PepeLePew13     12-22-12     27  
                 RE: A comparison of Chinese and Wes...   Outfrontgirl     12-22-12     29  
                     RE: A comparison of Chinese and Wes...   Georjanna     12-31-12     34  
                     RE: A comparison of Chinese and Wes...   Georjanna     12-31-12     35  
             RE: A comparison of Chinese and Wes...   Outfrontgirl     12-23-12     31  
         RE: A comparison of Chinese and Wes...   Georjanna     12-22-12     25  
             RE: A comparison of Chinese and Wes...   Outfrontgirl     12-22-12     30  
                 RE: A comparison of Chinese and Wes...   Georjanna     12-29-12     33  
     RE: S26 Faves Chinese Lunar Signs   Georjanna     12-22-12     23  
     RE: S26 Faves Chinese Lunar Signs   Outfrontgirl     12-22-12     28  
     RE: S26 Faves Chinese Lunar Signs   Georjanna     12-31-12     36  

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •