The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"S35Wk01 VidCap Analysis *No Sources..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Current Message

Sheldor 4639 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

09-25-17, 05:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sheldor Click to send private message to Sheldor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "How a teen came up with the 1st cha..."
LAST EDITED ON 09-25-17 AT 06:48 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 09-25-17 AT 06:32 PM (EST)

Survivor: How a teen came up with the first challenge twist of season 35

Here’s what happens when your daughter pitches a ‘Survivor’ challenge idea

DALTON ROSS@DALTONROSS
POSTED ON SEPTEMBER 21, 2017 AT 10:00AM EDT
http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/21/survivor-heroes-healers-hustlers-challenge/

(Here is the text of the article with thumbnail images linked to the Full Size images.)

Children always want to outdo their parents. At least my children do. My daughter Violet already showed me up by publishing her first EW music review at the age of 3 (Her review of Raffi: “This CD closes my eyes, because it makes me sleepy.”) Now 14, she is trying to displace me as Entertainment Weekly’s resident Survivor expert. Even worse, she is now getting her ideas on the show.

About a year ago, after watching me successfully lobby Survivor producers to start hiding immunity idols at challenges, Violet had her own idea. Instead of giving tribes the same choice in a challenge — like selecting between a 5, 10, or 50 piece puzzle — Violet’s twist was that the first team to arrive at that section of the competition was allowed to choose between all three options, the second team must select from the remaining two choices, and the last tribe was stuck with what’s left.

So I sent host Jeff Probst and challenge producer John Kirhoffer an email with her idea. Like most pitches, it seemed to go nowhere — until the two started discussing the first immunity challenge of the upcoming Heroes v. Healers v. Hustlers season (which premieres Sept. 27 on CBS). “When our new challenge came up,” says Kirhoffer. “I think it may have been Jeff who said, ‘Do you think Dalton’s daughter’s idea works here?'”

Apparently, the answer was yes. The challenge is titled “Tracks of My Tears,” and here’s how it maps out: “On ‘Go!’ the tribes sprint to a tall platform and climb a cargo net to the top,” explains Kirhoffer.

Click for Full Size Image

“They then work together to pull a very heavy wooden cart from a field to the top of the tower. Once at the top, they all get in, release the cart and careen down a steep ramp, and crash through a huge pile of sawdust.”

Then we get to the new twist. “They run to a station containing three different table mazes, each one unique in its way to approach getting a ball through it, but playing to different mind and skill sets,” says Kirhoffer. “The first tribe to reach this station has their choice of which of the three they will use, the next tribe to arrive gets their choice of the remaining two, and the last tribe to arrive is stuck with what is left.”

After that, “They then transport the table to the top of another, even taller tower, where two players work together to get three balls through the maze to the end,” explains the producer.

While watching my daughter get her idea on the show is pretty cool, I couldn’t help but wonder: Does Violet’s new job as a “Survivor Challenge Consultant” prohibit her from being a future contestant? “I don’t think so,” notes Kirhoffer. “I believe it’s her dad’s reviews of the show and challenges that will sway that decision either way.” (Note: Uh-oh.)

But that’s not the only Entertainment Weekly connection to challenges you will see in Heroes v. Healers v Hustlers. Last fall, EW hosted a convention out in Los Angeles called PopFest in which Survivor fans could attend and compete in actual challenges from the show against contestants like Ozzy, Woo, Tai, Peih-Gee, Abi-Maria, Mari, Rob Cesternino, and more. Kirhoffer was there to oversee the festivities. “We were doing the challenges at PopFest,” he explains. “It was super fun. And this kid walks up, ‘Man, I’m a big fan of Survivor.’ And he goes on to explain a challenge. ‘Can I pitch you a challenge?’”

Kirhoffer gave him his card and told the fan to send him an email. “So he did the Photoshop and worked up a nice sketch and had a write-up,” says the producer. “And it was really good. It was a really great idea. So I said ‘Hey, here’s the deal. Send me another one. Send me more pitches, and if you have one more that’s as good as that, maybe there’s a job in it for you.’”

So that’s exactly what Will Arbuckle did. “Sure enough, he sent a couple more that were solid,” says Kirhoffer. “So I hired him as a consultant. He came into the office in January and we started brainstorming. And two of the original puzzle ideas that he had you will see in the first five episodes of Heroes and Healers and Hustlers. So I hired him on the Dream Team and he’s having the time of his life.”

The moral of both of these stories is clear: Pester Survivor challenge producer John Kirhoffer whenever and wherever possible.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents
  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 S35Wk01 VidCap Analysis *No Sources...   Sheldor     09-18-17       
   Jeff Probst's Castaway Assessment   Sheldor     09-18-17     1  
   I'm Not Crazy, I'm Confident (Previ...   Sheldor     09-18-17     2  
   Heroes, Healers & Hustlers (Preview...   Sheldor     09-18-17     3  
   S35Wk01 Press Images   Sheldor     09-19-17     4  
     RE: S35Wk01 Press Images   Flowerpower1     09-22-17     5  
   How a teen came up with the 1st cha...   Sheldor     09-25-17     6  
   Jeff Probst promises one of the bes...   Sheldor     09-25-17     7  
     RE: Jeff Probst promises one of the...   Flowerpower1     09-25-17     8  
   Jeff Probst reveals the HHH players...   Sheldor     09-25-17     9  
   RE: S35Wk01 VidCap Analysis *No Sou...   Sheldor     09-25-17     10  
   Jeff Probst on if there are too man...   Sheldor     09-25-17     11  
   Survivors Speak Out   Sheldor     09-25-17     12  
   First 6 minutes video   CTgirl     09-26-17     13  
     RE: First 6 minutes video   Sheldor     09-26-17     14  
         RE: First 6 minutes video   CTgirl     09-26-17     18  
             RE: First 6 minutes video   Sheldor     09-27-17     21  
                 RE: First 6 minutes video   CTgirl     09-27-17     28  
   BTS Challenge Preview of “Track of ...   Sheldor     09-26-17     15  
   HHH - Ben, Desi, Patrick ad   Sheldor     09-26-17     16  
   HHH Ashley, Joe, Ali ad   Sheldor     09-26-17     17  
     RE: HHH Ashley, Joe, Ali ad   Flowerpower1     09-27-17     19  
         RE: HHH Ashley, Joe, Ali ad   Flowerpower1     09-27-17     20  
             RE: HHH Ashley, Joe, Ali ad   kingfish     09-27-17     22  
                 RE: HHH Ashley, Joe, Ali ad   Sheldor     09-27-17     24  
             RE: HHH Ashley, Joe, Ali ad   Sheldor     09-27-17     23  
                 Testing   Flowerpower1     09-27-17     25  
                     RE: Testing   Sheldor     09-27-17     26  
   HHH - Ben, Jessica, Ryan ad   Sheldor     09-27-17     27  

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •