The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"New technology is not my friend..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-20-07, 08:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"New technology is not my friend..."
or how my tv world went flat.

I went on a little fact finding mission today. Hit the big box stores looking for a new tv after doing some research on the dubdubdub. I have a few comments, mostly on the RANT side. It appears that CRTs are being phased out and I was willing to embrace the flatty flatness until I discovered something it seems I cannot accept.

Why are these new flat screens in SILVER cabinets? What happened to BLACK? A silver space age looking LCD TV has no place in my home. I want black! Considering the expense they should come in every damn color of the rainbow.

Also, it is a sad day indeed when you are searching for a tv and many of them are larger than the wallspace you have to put it on. I can only imagine that watching tv on a screen that big would be like sitting in the first row at the movie theater.

Will I have to return to CRT land, and find one of the few good ones left around? Does anyone here have an LCD TV? Is it silver? Do you find the frame around it distracting? Has your experience been good?

Thank you for reading

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: New technology is not my friend... Snidget 01-20-07 1
   Thank you! moonbaby 01-20-07 2
   RE: New technology is not my friend... Buggy 01-21-07 23
 RE: New technology is not my friend... anotherkim 01-20-07 3
   RE: New technology is not my friend... Snidget 01-20-07 4
 RE: New technology is not my friend... Maroonclown 01-20-07 5
   RE: New technology is not my friend... Snidget 01-20-07 6
       RE: New technology is not my friend... Seana 01-20-07 11
       Just for Snidget arkiegrl 01-20-07 13
           RE: Just for Snidget Snidget 01-21-07 19
           RE: Just for Snidget TheFabulousLurker 01-21-07 20
           RE: Just for Snidget HistoryDetective 01-21-07 22
               RE: Just for Snidget Buggy 01-21-07 24
   RE: New technology is not my friend... RollDdice 01-22-07 30
 RE: New technology is not my friend... mysticwolf 01-20-07 7
   RE: New technology is not my friend... HobbsofMI 01-20-07 10
       RE: New technology is not my friend... mysticwolf 01-20-07 14
 Bestbuy? IceCat 01-20-07 8
 RE: New technology is not my friend... HobbsofMI 01-20-07 9
 Thanks! moonbaby 01-20-07 12
   Sears TV selection IceCat 01-21-07 15
       RE: Sears TV selection frisky 01-21-07 16
           Also... IceCat 01-21-07 18
 RE: New technology is not my friend... Ante Bellum 01-21-07 17
   Well... moonbaby 01-21-07 21
       RE: Well... Ante Bellum 01-21-07 26
 RE: New technology is not my friend... Buggy 01-21-07 25
 Moonie! Meemo 01-22-07 27
 RE: New technology is not my friend... Brownroach 01-22-07 28
 *sits waiting patiently* IceCat 01-22-07 29
 RE: New technology is not my friend... RollDdice 01-22-07 31

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-07, 08:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: New technology is not my friend..."
LAST EDITED ON 01-20-07 AT 08:29 PM (EST)

Sears.com still has a fairly decent assortment of CRT TV's and it looks like maybe the Toshiba LCD's are in a dark if not black case.

Hope that helps.

ETA: I'm not looking forward to replacing my TV that won't turn off. I've got a small 15" TV and that may be the TV I end up using for the next several years. I don't have the space for a 42" TV nor the couple of thousand dollars they cost, and since I listen more than watch the darn thing anyway it seems a waste. It does seem that is all they want to sell these days at a lot of places.

01-20-07, 08:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Thank you!"
Going to check that out right now!

Buggy 5089 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-07, 11:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Buggy Click to send private message to Buggy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: New technology is not my friend..."

Snidge, we bought this one for our daughter for her room, last month for Xmas.
24", reasonably priced, name brand. It is silver, but maybe a good replacment for your dying one. It has a good picture.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3757012

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-07, 08:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: New technology is not my friend..."
I'll make you feel more techno-savy, moonie. What is CRT?

Kimmah Says
--we got our newest tv when one of our renters left it behind. sure wish they'd embraced the flatty flatness, but at least it's big, very stereo and working.

01-20-07, 08:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: New technology is not my friend..."
If I remember it stands for

C athode
R ay
T ube.

Basically what they sold before they had those flat panel things.

It's a tribe creation!

Maroonclown 5829 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-07, 09:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Maroonclown Click to send private message to Maroonclown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: New technology is not my friend..."
I know it may sound unpallatible but spray paint can change your world.

Craft stores have the most amazing things.

01-20-07, 09:42 PM (EST)
6. "RE: New technology is not my friend..."
It may be the bourbon talking but I just had a vision of a TV covered with little fake jewels or pompoms.

It might take a bit of experimentation but you could probably find a paint that would stick and look OK with the right technique.

It's a tribe creation!

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-07, 10:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: New technology is not my friend..."
It may be the bourbon talking but I just had a vision of a TV covered with little fake jewels or pompoms.

Hahahaha!

Our new TV is silver. I never even thought about colour, but now that moonie mentions it, there wasn't any choice. Unless we wanted to go with the Dora TV or the Superman one.

arkiegrl 9421 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-07, 11:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "Just for Snidget"

01-21-07, 07:36 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Just for Snidget"
*gigglesnort*

TheFabulousLurker 165 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-21-07, 08:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TheFabulousLurker Click to send private message to TheFabulousLurker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Just for Snidget"
hmmmm... Where oh where is my glue gun???

I'm picturing.... multi colored fake rhinestones in a multitude of shapes and sizes...

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-07, 10:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Just for Snidget"
Please keep Tana away from the televisions!

01-21-07, 11:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Buggy Click to send private message to Buggy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Just for Snidget"
*LAUGH*

I was picturing jewels all over it.
Bedazzled!

RollDdice 5949 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-07, 11:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RollDdice Click to send private message to RollDdice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: New technology is not my friend..."
I know it may sound unpalatable but spray paint can change your world.

I smell a Bedazzler!

We're pretty fond of our HD Samsung which is mostly black, with a little silver.

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-07, 09:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: New technology is not my friend..."
We looked at LCD's. And, I'm pretty sure some of them came in black. Some that we even liked. HP makes one, as does LG (which got very high marks from every site I looked at, and looked good by comparrison in the store) both had black. Check out Best Buy for a selection.

We weren't going to wall mount, however, and ultimately decided that we'd get more for our money - along with something heavy enough the cats and dogs won't knock it off the stand - with a DLP. It's a Samsung, definitely black, larger than any LCD we could have afforded, and we got it for considerably less. Matter of fact, as we've been looking since we bought it to make sure we can't take advantage of the 60-day "best price" guarantee, we're realizing that we got it at a phenomenally good price.

For size, we looked only at 42" and up. We ended up with a 56". We sit about 12' away, and it's a great picture. Turn the lights off and zoom the movie to full-screen, and turn on all of the speakers? It's an amazing experience. And, I HATE sitting too close at a movie theatre.

A Tribal Christmas blogging's scary

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-07, 10:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: New technology is not my friend..."
My Pioneer 42" is on a stand and is about 6' from the couch. That is too close but the room it's in won't get bigger until we move.

What I really need is a good 7.1 suround...wireless preferred but I just don't know how good they are or should I stay with something that is wired.

Save the Cheerleader Save the World
sig by Syren and bouncy by IceCat

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-07, 11:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: New technology is not my friend..."
I can't really help you there, my friend. We have (and had) speakers coming out the wazoo, some of which DH made years ago. They're all wired. I'd like to try wireless, too - but I wasn't about to spend extra money for stuff we didn't need. Wired, or wireless, your money needs to go into the best amp you can find. (And, we already had multiples of those.)

From a purely technical standpoint, if you go wireless and you're in an apartment building, or live close to a neighbor, you could be doing battle royal if they also have a wireless system. At least until you both figure out what's going on, compare notes, and figure out a way to get onto different frequencies.

Unless you can assure you're well out of the way of any possible interference, I'd still say that wired is a better - or at least more stable and controllable - way to go.

A Tribal Christmas blogging's scary

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-07, 10:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Bestbuy?"
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7711201&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050005&type=product&cmp=++&id=1138086487510

42" Samsung

Appears to have a black case.

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-07, 10:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: New technology is not my friend..."
I know there are seveal smaller HD plasma in black at Costco. I think they are ranging from 24" to 32".

Save the Cheerleader Save the World
sig by Syren and bouncy by IceCat

01-20-07, 10:36 PM (EST)
12. "Thanks!"
Just went on a whirlwind tour of more sites. The largest size I can go with is 27"-the moonbase is kinda small. I did find some tvs in basic black-that was a relief. Probably going to check out Sears. Ya know, the place where America shops? I hope not all at once or it will be very crowded. Heeeehee.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

01-21-07, 00:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "Sears TV selection"

Don't forget that, due to the change in aspect ratio, a 27in widescreen has less viewable area than a 27in regular screen. You may want to consider slightly wider than 27in.

Sears TV selection

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-07, 00:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Sears TV selection"
*tries to cook up really good "27 inches is too small" joke*

Rolly made this.

01-21-07, 07:24 AM (EST)
18. "Also..."

... the phrase 'aspect ratio' has some potential; ie: the classic length vs girth debate.

Ante Bellum 3762 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

01-21-07, 03:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ante%20Bellum Click to send private message to Ante%20Bellum Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: New technology is not my friend..."
LAST EDITED ON 01-21-07 AT 04:05 AM (EST)

Did she just say "how my tittie world went flat?"

Edit: I mean really... I thought we were going to be bashing Allergan.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

01-21-07, 10:41 AM (EST)
21. "Well..."
I am looking for a new boob tube

Ante Bellum 3762 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-07, 12:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ante%20Bellum Click to send private message to Ante%20Bellum Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Well..."
See? I knew it!

Handcrafted by RollDdice

01-21-07, 11:15 AM (EST)
25. "RE: New technology is not my friend..."
I know what you mean about black TV's, black appliances of all kinds just seem to be less visible.

Meemo 3519 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-07, 09:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Meemo Click to send private message to Meemo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "Moonie!"
I just went through the tv buying process about 3 months ago.

We ended up with a 32" LG LCD. And it's black!

One thing to keep in mind, is that unless you plan on upgrading your programming (to HD), a flat panel will likely give you less picture quality than a CRT.

Based on basic cable feed, I would rather watch our 10 year old 25" Zenith CRT than the new LG. But we have HD programming, which makes it worthwhile.

Hope that helps!

Half man, half amazing, all DAW
Oh, and be prepared for the upsell. From mounts to stands to HDMI cables....there's alot they'll throw at you. Send me a PM or e-mail if you have any questions.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-07, 11:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: New technology is not my friend..."
I've been looking at flat-screen TVs and it seems to me I've seen a fair number with black frames, IceCat's recommended Samsung being one of them. To me the Samsungs seem to have the best picture, that is probably what I will get eventually.

Blowin' the blues away, courtesy of tribephyl

01-22-07, 11:18 AM (EST)
29. "*sits waiting patiently*"

With a box of microwave popcorn, the economy size pack of Junior Mints, and a gallon of Merlot in a giant cup with two crazy straws.

RollDdice 5949 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-07, 11:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RollDdice Click to send private message to RollDdice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: New technology is not my friend..."
As I mentioned above, Samsung is definitely worth a look.

And if you find a LCD you like, don't worry too much about the p or i at the end of the model number -- unless you're a video engineer doing QC (Quality Control) on network television programs every day, you won't see the difference between Progressive and Interlace scanning.

Stay away from the kerosene-powered sets, though.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •