The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Commentary on the Friday Night Figh..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Conferences BlowsVivor Forum (Protected)
Current Message

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-28-01, 08:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "Time for my two cents..."
I started this as a private e-mail to someone on this board, but after writing it, I feel it has a message that needs to be shared with all:

I was in chat late last night, watching over this board that I have come to call home. As I speak to people about what has become of this game, the majority opinion of the board is that they'd like to pretend that this entire thing never happened... a lot of us are asking ourselves at what point this went wrong, and what we could have all done to stop it.

Personally, I think that we should have pulled the plug on it as soon as shakes stopped writing, and although it's been GREAT FUN!!! to watch all of the other writers work on it, it's also resulted in a catastrophe of hurt feelings, all built on good intentions.

My opinion has swayed on what would be the right thing to do several times during the last week. Part of me wants BV to be immediately cancelled, but that would only be a superficial solution to the problem, and would obviously cause bad feelings among the final four, the final writers, and the loyal readers by not allowing their game to play to its conclusion.

I believe that what has happened is miscommunication to the n'th degree... At heart, this is a community of bashers and spoilers, and we tried to play that out within the context of a story... Our mistake was in allowing the real people behind the screennames to become involved emotionally, physically, and in reality... and this was, perhaps, and inevitable mistake, because how long can a person watch while their name is dragged through the mud, before they take offense... even if it's with the best of intentions... just ask Debb Eaton who (all bashing aside for a minute) is in a committed and happy relationship with a man who she loves, but who happened to have been, at one time, her step-son.

In the last week, I have answered flames with sarcasm and humor, hoping to re-direct our community back to what it used to be... Sadly, the situation has elevated, and I hope that it hasn't yet reached an irreparable state.

In a week, BV will be over.

Already, there is Survivor spoiling to be done, as the cast list has been announced, and people are en-route to check for weight loss, and to try to get people to slip-up and spill some secrets. There is a post on the bashers board, inviting people back to the art of bashing for the new season. Off Topic continues to flourish, as our community is built on love, praise, sharing, and friendship. For those that can't wait for "the main event", Big Brother offers its own set of bashing, and Love Cruise, set to premeire in a little over a week promises to bring spoiling back to our community. Finally, our bar is still open 24 hours, and is still a safe-haven for all those that choose to enter with a smile on their face.

My genuine hope is that when BV reaches it's conclusion, we will all go back to the other parts of the board, and re-discover what it was that made us a community... as the alums of Survivor have said, "Let what was said in the game, stay in the game!!!"

I still view all of you as my friends, and to see friends fight is a horrible thing. Please... I beg everyone on both sides of this issue... no matter how right you feel, or who you believe is on "your side"... please take one step back from all of this, and look at what we've become. Let's not place blame... if you can still go back in the archives, and read about our community in the old threads without feeling some guilt about what has happened, then you are a far better person than I (or much less realistic). Truly, I feel that, at some level, we are all to blame.

Instead of focusing on blame, let's focus on healing. I know that some feelings have been hurt. I know that some mean things have been said. I don't expect everyone to pick up where they left off, and pretend that it didn't happen. I can only hope that each person can start to take steps in the right direction.

If something amuses you, say so. If you think that someone is talented, say so. If you can't think of anything nice to say, don't say anything at all... as cliche as it may seem, it's what's best for all of us, right now.

Soon, I hope to see all of us allied in our outrageous quest to outspoil and outspoof a new season of Survivor. Until then, I'll be in the bar, waiting for all of us to come back to our senses. When you do come back, I promise that I won't be the one to judge you. I won't even be the one to bring up what happened. But I will get you a drink, laugh at your jokes, and maybe tell one myself. And hope in every recess of my heart that each of you will offer the same promise.

It's the biblical story of the prodigal son, and it's asking a lot of everyone in forgiveness... but "if we keep demanding an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth, we will all end up blind and toothless." And where's the fun in that?

I'll be waiting...

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents
  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Commentary on the Friday Night Figh...   AyatollahKhomeini     08-27-01       
   RE: Commentary on the Friday Night ...   dangerkitty     08-27-01     1  
     RE: Commentary on the Friday Night ...   ItzLisa     08-28-01     15  
         Agree   AyaK     08-28-01     16  
             Amen   LadyT     08-28-01     17  
   RE: Commentary on the Friday Night ...   Ronnet     08-27-01     2  
   RE: Commentary on the Friday Night ...   Drive My Car     08-27-01     3  
   A Pause for Thought...   IceCat     08-27-01     4  
     RE: A Pause for Thought...   Drive My Car     08-27-01     5  
         RE: A Pause for Thought...   Jizzy     08-27-01     6  
   RE: Commentary on the Friday Night ...   Drive My Car     08-27-01     7  
   RE: Commentary on the Friday Night ...   Kismet     08-27-01     8  
     RE: Commentary on the Friday Night ...   LadyT     08-27-01     9  
         RE: Commentary on the Friday Night ...   Drive My Car     08-27-01     10  
     RE: Commentary on the Friday Night ...   Jizzy     08-27-01     12  
   None so blind. . .   George Tirebiter     08-27-01     11  
     RE: None so blind. . .   Drive My Car     08-28-01     13  
     Perhaps you're right   AyatollahKhomeini     08-28-01     14  
   Time for my two cents...   sleeeve     08-28-01     18  
     RE: Time for my two cents...   VampKira     08-28-01     19  
         RE: Time for my two cents...   LadyT     08-28-01     20  
             RE: Time for my two cents...   Monkeyboy     08-29-01     21  
                 To Echo Lady T and Monkeyboy...   ItzLisa     08-29-01     22  
   RE: Commentary on the Friday Night ...   PepeLePew13     08-30-01     23  
     RE: Commentary on the Friday Night ...   Drive My Car     08-30-01     24  
         RE: Commentary on the Friday Night ...   PepeLePew13     08-30-01     25  
   And now a word from our sponser.......   Superman     08-31-01     26  
     RE: And now a word from our sponser...   VampKira     08-31-01     27  
     RE: Leif has a question.....   Leif Eriksen     09-01-01     28  
         RE: Leif has a question.....   dabo     09-01-01     29  
         RE: Leif has a question.....   VampKira     09-02-01     30  
         RE: Leif has a question.....   IceCat     09-02-01     31  

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •