The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Switch - Pro and Con"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Current Message

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-06-02, 08:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "Disagree: Swap will happen!"
LAST EDITED ON 10-06-02 AT 08:24 PM (EST)

>IMHO,
>Paschal, Kathy and Neleh saved
>the game's popularity by switching
>sides and abandoning the Rotu4,
>saving Sean and Vecepia.
>But that might have happened
>ANYWAY!

I must disagree with you there... The act of Kathy, Paschal, and Neleh allying with Vee was instrumental in keeping the show interesting, and if Kathy had won, I really think that it would have been the best of the four Survivor series.

However, you claim that would have happened anyway??? I sincerely doubt it!... Kathy, Neleh, and Paschal were left out of the Rotu-4 alliance as a result of the switch. Without that swap, the Rotu alliance would have likely been structured differently (Kathy would have been gone first, but do you really think that Gabe, Paschal, and Neleh would have been next by coincidence????)

The swap worked perfectly last season. It broke up the Sarah/Rob/Sean/Vee alliance, and also forced smaller, more fluid alliances to dominate the game. This ultimately resulted in a game of surprise (if there had been large, rock-solid alliances, Kathy never would have been able to strike a deal with Vee, who, in turn, would have been unable to strike a deal with Neleh).

The goal of the swap is to encourage small fluid alliances of 2-3 people working together to save each other at any cost, thus resulting in larger, but unconsistent alliances (making the game much less predictable).

Yeah... we knew that Paschal and Neleh would never betry each other, but we had no clue how the final game play would go down with Kathy and Vee in the mix.

So how can we rationalize a swap in the upcoming episodes???

Well here's a wild guess:
E4: GDiva is voted out unanimously by her tribe in an obvious boot... necessary to produce hatred that we've heard about. The obvious outcome is clouded only by a "gender alliance" created in the editing room with bits of unrelated conversations strung together (sound familiar???) Meanwhile, Shii Ann is confident in her position in her tribe... they have crushed the outlying lazy group, Robb falls into line, and Steph is the isolated obvious boot for the next episode.

E5: SWAP!!! Shii Ann, who was confident last episode finds herself in the minority after the swap, her up-front semi-confrontational attitude paints a large target on her back, and she is removed from the game when her new tribe loses immunity (Note: She would fall into the minority if she was in a tribe with any four CG's or with 3 CG's AND Steph, so this is a very real possibility)

E6: Robb's attitude doesn't go over well with his new tribe. He is eliminated, having made few friends in SJ, and no friends in CG.

(It is possible that Shii and Robb could be in the reverse order, but MB likes showing the irony of the swap destroying a strong alliance, and I have a hard time imagining him painting Robb as being in a strong alliance.)

E7: MERGE!!! Old CG has taken advantage of the various in-fighting in the other tribe. The merge occurs at 5-5, but outcast Stephanie recieves no support from her own tribe, and may even choose to try to ally with th CGs. She is voted out, as no one is willing to vote with her, giving the CG-Five the majority AND validating all weight-loss spoilers to date.

Without the merge, I have a hard time getting Shii-Ann voted off to validate GDiva's smoker's list, which I have faith in.

Okay, now let's talk mechanism of swap.

I actually see a third possibility...

The problem with S3's swap was that the new tribes were too even, and it resulted in one betrayal, one tie-vote (with previous votes breaking the tie), and one tribe came out dominant.

So for S4, MB attempted to fix this by doing a random, uneven (MUST be, if this is pre-planned, and there are only 3 people voted off) swap, to encourage new alliances (hey... if you're suddenly in a losing position, it's time to bargain for your life!!!)... However, this resulted in an unexpectedly weak tribe, which made for bad television (and obviously rigged challenges).

So it's time to combine elements that worked from each... There will still be a random swap, to encourage new alliances, but why should the tribes be uneven??? Instead, why not form 2 new tribes of six... this DEFINATELY encourages new alliances, because it's like starting from square one... each tribe has an equal advantage in the challenges, and no one wants to risk being voted out.

It also makes for an interesting merge, because we have old tribe alliances and new tribe alliances to sort out (which was the whole point of the swap in the first place).

Summary: For the short of attention span...

• Swap is likely, because it has worked in the past.
  • Swap could still produce the results that we expect from GDiva spoilers (results that may be difficult to reproduce without a swap).
  • Swap may have a new format, involving random redivision into two tribes of six, regardless of profile of original tribes

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents
  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 The Switch - Pro and Con   TechNoir     10-04-02       
   RE: The Switch - Pro and Con   dabo     10-04-02     1  
     RE: The Switch - Pro and Con   Drive My Car     10-05-02     8  
         RE: The Switch - Pro and Con   ShowMeTheWinner     10-06-02     16  
   RE: The Switch - Pro and Con   munson     10-04-02     2  
     RE: The Switch - Pro and Con   Drive My Car     10-05-02     9  
         RE: The Switch - Pro and Con   dabo     10-05-02     14  
   RE: The Switch - Pro and Con   ejm92     10-04-02     3  
   RE: The Switch - Pro and Con   hrc2u     10-04-02     4  
     RE: The Switch - Pro and Con   erikman     10-05-02     5  
         RE: The Switch - Pro and Con   TechNoir     10-05-02     6  
             RE: The Switch - Pro and Con   erikman     10-05-02     7  
                 RE: The Switch - Pro and Con   BMH     10-05-02     10  
                     RE: The Switch - Pro and Con   ejm92     10-05-02     11  
                         RE: The Switch - Pro and Con   BMH     10-05-02     13  
   RE: The Switch - Pro and Con   Spidey     10-05-02     12  
   "The Ocean's Surprise" is the switc...   Krautboy     10-05-02     15  
     RE: "The Ocean's Surprise" is the s...   Outfrontgirl     10-06-02     17  
   My $0.02   SurvivinDawg     10-06-02     18  
     RE: My $0.02   Outfrontgirl     10-06-02     19  
         RE: My $0.02   Chrissy gal     10-06-02     20  
             RE: My $0.02   Outfrontgirl     10-06-02     21  
         RE: My $0.02   munson     10-06-02     22  
         RE: My $0.02   SurvivinDawg     10-07-02     32  
         RE: My $0.02   GuessItRains     10-07-02     41  
     Disagree: Swap will happen!   sleeeve     10-06-02     23  
         RE: Disagree: Swap will happen!   BMH     10-06-02     24  
             RE: Disagree: Swap will happen!   munson     10-06-02     25  
                 *sigh*   dabo     10-06-02     26  
                     RE: *sigh*   BMH     10-06-02     27  
                         RE: *sigh* TY   dabo     10-07-02     29  
                             RE: *sigh* TY   SurvivinDawg     10-07-02     33  
                                 RE: *sigh* TY   idiotcowboy     10-07-02     35  
                                     RE: *sigh* TY   SurvivinDawg     10-07-02     38  
             RE: Disagree: Swap will happen!   sleeeve     10-07-02     28  
                 RE: Disagree: Swap will happen!   Krautboy     10-07-02     30  
                 RE: Disagree: Swap will happen!   hearkittykitty     10-07-02     36  
                     RE: Disagree: Swap will happen!   Krautboy     10-07-02     37  
                     RE: Disagree: Swap will happen!   sleeeve     10-07-02     39  
                         RE: Disagree: Swap will happen!   SurvivinDawg     10-07-02     40  
                             RE: Disagree: Swap will happen!   dabo     10-07-02     42  
                         RE: Disagree: Swap will happen!   true     10-07-02     43  
                             RE: Disagree: Swap will happen!   sleeeve     10-07-02     44  
                                 RE: Disagree: Swap will happen!   true     10-07-02     45  
                                 RE: Disagree: Swap will happen!   idiotcowboy     10-07-02     47  
                             RE: Disagree: Swap will happen!   dabo     10-07-02     46  
         RE: Disagree: Swap will happen!   corcam     10-07-02     31  
   And one Addendum...   SurvivinDawg     10-07-02     34  

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •