The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Cindy's parents"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

newsomewayne 9065 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-21-11, 04:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Cindy's parents"
Anybody else think they could be a bit racist? Perhaps I could've heard incorrectly, but I swear I heard Cindy say she believes her parents would prefer she marry a Chinese guy, but hoped they would accept Ernie.

Perhaps its just me, but I'm pretty sure the roof would've been blown off this place if the statement had been made by Ernie about his parents accepting Cindy.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Cindy's parents jbug 11-21-11 1
   RE: Cindy's parents Starshine 11-21-11 2
 RE: Cindy's parents Snidget 11-21-11 3
 RE: Cindy's parents Estee 11-21-11 4
 RE: Cindy's parents Belle Book 11-21-11 5
   RE: Cindy's parents kidflash212 11-21-11 6
 RE: Cindy's parents Max Headroom 11-21-11 7
 RE: Cindy's parents Colonel Zoidberg 11-22-11 8
 RE: Cindy's parents finallytyping 11-22-11 9
   RE: Cindy's parents olathejoe 11-22-11 10
 RE: Cindy's parents gretae 11-27-11 11
   RE: Cindy's parents agman 11-27-11 12
       RE: Cindy's parents jbug 11-27-11 13
           RE: Cindy's parents agman 11-27-11 14
   RE: Cindy's parents mindy23 12-15-11 18
 RE: Cindy's parents michel 11-30-11 15
 RE: Cindy's parents HobbsofMI 12-13-11 16
 In her parents' defense udg 12-13-11 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

11-21-11, 04:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Cindy's parents"
You heard correctly.
& yes, the statement by Ernie would have been blasted big time.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

11-21-11, 05:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Cindy's parents"
One respectfully disagrees, had Cindys parents been, lets say Italian, then I don't think there would be a furore about them wanting her to marry an Italian man. As first generation immigrants they are always going to feel more at home with people who at least are familiar with the culture that they grew up in.

Lovely cheese Mooney

Just another Sleeperbloke

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

11-21-11, 05:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Cindy's parents"
On the one hand, yes it can be a bit racist.

But a lot of people would prefer their kids marry "one of their own".

I do think some people get more flack for it, but it is pretty common for immigrants of any ethnic to kind of want their kids to marry someone familiar rather than go straight for another minority or the majority ethnic.

A lot depends on how insular they have been, and often immigrants find an area where they can be surrounded by other people that eat the same things, and speak the same language.

Even when people are fully invested in "everyone gets paid the same, and can live where they want, work where they want, go to school where they want" there can still be residues of "just as long as my kids don't date/marry them.

I do think that sentiment is as prevalent in the minorities as it is in the majority.

Not to excuse it, but it isn't something that surprises me with her being the first in her family to be born here. Somehow it surprises me more from people who have been here many generations.

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings

11-21-11, 08:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Cindy's parents"
Oh, you really don't want me commenting on this...

If either set of parents doesn't like it, I believe they know where the airport is.

Belle Book 3556 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

11-21-11, 09:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Cindy's parents"
It certainly could come off as being racist, but they might also be just more comfortable with Chinese Americans than with white people if Cindy's parents are immigrants. Also, they might worry that the ethnic differences between Ernie & Cindy might be insurmountable.

kidflash212 3854 desperate attention whore postings

11-21-11, 09:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Cindy's parents"
Isn't being "comfortable" just a nicer way of saying racist? We can't have a double standard.

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

11-21-11, 11:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Cindy's parents"
Cindy worries about everything else, so why shouldn't she fret about her parents' approval of Ernie?

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings

11-22-11, 01:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Cindy's parents"
Keep this in mind - it's entirely possible that the quote was either edited or taken out of context. Production has a way of doing that. Look back to Brian and Ericka four seasons ago, in which Brian was edited to appear to call his mother-in-law a racist...however, he later explained that the quote was butchered and that Ericka's mother's issue with Brian had nothing whatsoever to do with race.

Also, keep in mind that this is the first time all season that either of them has even made mention of being an interracial couple, a fact Brian and Ericka didn't seem to shut up about. And maybe if Cindy's parents have a problem with Ernie, it has less to do with him being white and more to do with him being a total doofus.

finallytyping 400 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-22-11, 02:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail finallytyping Click to send private message to finallytyping Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Cindy's parents"
I don't want to get flamed for this, but I don't think their marriage issues would stem from being an interracial couple. I think Cindy might be his beard. I just got a different impression of Ernie during and directly following the body building challenge. He was skipping gaily out of the room, and I mean that in the most joyous of meanings. A little too joyous, I would say.

And fortunately this show isn't The Amazing Racist. They all get along.

olathejoe 72 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-22-11, 10:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail olathejoe Click to send private message to olathejoe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Cindy's parents"
Not only was he skipping out of the room in a speedo, the quote "I even locked eyes with one of the men in the audience a couple of times....' did not go unnoticed at my house.

I guess what I don't understand is why would someone who wants their children to marry one of their kind, move 6000 miles away from where most of their kind lives before they have and raise said children? At the very least they should no be surprised if/when their kid falls for one of the locals.

gretae 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

11-27-11, 10:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail gretae Click to send private message to gretae Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Cindy's parents"
cindy sucks

agman 11158 desperate attention whore postings

11-27-11, 11:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Cindy's parents"
Well, I'm sure Ernie would be the one who could verify that!

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

11-27-11, 11:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Cindy's parents"
LAST EDITED ON 11-27-11 AT 11:22 PM (EST)

agman 11158 desperate attention whore postings

11-27-11, 11:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Cindy's parents"
LAST EDITED ON 11-27-11 AT 11:41 PM (EST)

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

12-15-11, 10:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Cindy's parents"
>cindy sucks

ITA!!!

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

11-30-11, 07:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Cindy's parents"
Is a preference really racism? I think that we have plenty of important issues where racism comes into play that we don't have to raise the issue when it's a question of parental preference. If the parents were to disown their daughter and refuse to love their grand-kids then it could be an issue but a preference? Not only is it normal but I'd say it's none of our business.

HobbsofMI 15959 desperate attention whore postings

12-13-11, 03:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Cindy's parents"
I know nothing of this subject.

sig Syren, bouncy by IceCat, bobble head by Tribephyl, and snoglobe by agman

udg 3038 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

12-13-11, 07:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "In her parents' defense"
Cindy didn't say, "My parents hate Ernie because he's white." What she said was way more ambiguous, something along the lines of, "I'm sure they'd rather..." They may or may not "rather", but apparently they haven't said so out loud to her.

Thanks to tribephyl for the sigpic!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •