The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"6/15 Design Star episode"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences HGTV Design Star Forum (Protected)
Original message

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-16-08, 07:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"6/15 Design Star episode"
Just in case anyone has the show taped and hasn't watched it yet, I want to be sure that these first couple of sentences are long enough to fill up the thread preview. Don't want to spoil the experience of the 5 people who watch this show, right?

Hopefully that's enough.

So what did you think of Clive's big joke about the "build a house in a week" challenge? I was skeptical when the challenge was announced, but didn't figure they'd throw it out entirely. Color me surprised.

My main observation was that Scottie made a fatal strategic error in choosing to decorate the upstairs bedroom by himself. He forgot that the goal of the early rounds is not to finish first in the judges' eyes, but rather to avoid finishing last in their eyes. By going it alone, he took the risk that a poorly-received design would result in his elimination, and stood to gain almost nothing had he done a fantastic job. And that strategic mistake made him the first to get his show canceled.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: 6/15 Design Star episode starshyn99 06-16-08 1
 RE: 6/15 Design Star episode jbug 06-16-08 2
   RE: 6/15 Design Star episode mindy23 06-16-08 3
 RE: 6/15 Design Star episode TxMom2011 06-16-08 4
   RE: 6/15 Design Star episode JessicaRN 06-16-08 5
 RE: 6/15 Design Star episode flipxcyd 06-16-08 6
   RE: 6/15 Design Star episode jase 06-16-08 7
 RE: 6/15 Design Star episode DrKegel 06-17-08 8
   RE: 6/15 Design Star episode riverrocker 06-17-08 9
       RE: 6/15 Design Star episode Sunny_Bunny 06-20-08 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

starshyn99 174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

06-16-08, 08:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail starshyn99 Click to send private message to starshyn99 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: 6/15 Design Star episode"
As soon as he decided to work alone, it through up a huge red flag for me. Both the first cancellations in the last two seasons were the ones who worked alone. When you do that, you have no one else to shift some of the blame to. Should he have gone first, I would probably say no, but with no team to hide behind, it was clear every decision was his own.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

06-16-08, 08:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: 6/15 Design Star episode"
Stand up to be counted as one of the 5.

As for building the house, I thought someone would come up with the idea of calling a building contrator to subcontract the building,etc. and they could do the decorating. Not that I've had experience, bu don't some of the houses for humanity groups build houses really fast? I know our church mission group has helped put up a building in one week - sure nothing fancy but no $100,000 budget either.

I agree on Scottie. Wanting to 'go it alone' was a big red flag. But even with the advice of the other 2 guys, he could not be talked out of the orange spray-on tan paint.

So, anyone up for playing footies/tooties all night?
I want to see how they move those beds around before they go to sleep.

The one gal who was so vocal at teh judging but not during the challenge? Needs to go home next - but I'm afraid they'll keep her for the drama she will cause during the season.

Every day is Springummer with Agman

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

06-16-08, 09:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: 6/15 Design Star episode"
Oh yeah, that Trish, or Tess, whoever, sure is the back-stabbing drama queen, ain't she?? But she got her just from the judges, as well as a few of the other contestants! Go Police Man, what's-your-name!!

I'm afraid Michael is a Sparkle Josh wanna-be, in name, only. But that boy can decorate! He really has some class, without the sparkle. I was surprised. And HE was the one who suggested a pre-fab to put on that property. THAT would have been MY suggestion! Just go with a modular or mobile home, and the heck with it. They come already decorated, even! Show over already!! LOL.

I guess I'm number 6 who watches, but only on TiVo after Hubby watches something on the new Green Channel about Greenburg, Kansas. I think the Chef Competition and other shows out there may take over this season and it may just be the hangin' of the Design Team once and for all. After all, HOW MANY design stars can there be, anyway???

As for Scott, I kept wondering who would have the pleasure of either butting heads or toes with another person-not cool, dude! But as far as the colors, et, al. I wasn't all that put out. I think you all are on the mark about him going it alone. He should have taken one of the sun room people with him. Oh well...so long to Orville Redenbacker. We hardly knew ye.

TxMom2011 188 desperate attention whore postings

06-16-08, 10:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TxMom2011 Click to send private message to TxMom2011 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: 6/15 Design Star episode"
Don't want
>to spoil the experience of
>the 5 people who watch
>this show, right?
>

*snort*

I thought Scotties room was awful, but I thought that the dining room was worse. I cannot BELIEVE those idiot women PAINTED that beautiful table! And that faux wood treatment on the mantle looked like a crayon drawing. I absolutely hated that room and think one of those gals shouldve gotten the boot.

OK.... and maybe it's just me... but wtf with all that crying?!?!?! Sheesh... they were crying over on Food Network Star too. I am done with all the tears. Toughen up already!!!

JessicaRN 1070 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

06-16-08, 12:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JessicaRN Click to send private message to JessicaRN Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: 6/15 Design Star episode"
Ok, I'll take number 7 for watching the show, also after everyone else has gone to bed. I kept trying to figure out why the thought of sleeping toe to toe is so disgusting, but I never came up with a legitimate reason other than it seems creepy.

I agree about the crying, especially Stephanie at the end who needed to be consoled by the poor guy that got kicked off. She seems a bit too emotional for reality TV, although the whole trick of little sleep could probably do that to me also.

flipxcyd 1053 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

06-16-08, 03:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail flipxcyd Click to send private message to flipxcyd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: 6/15 Design Star episode"
It just felt weird sleeping toe to toe or head to head with that bed configuration. Put something in between. Overall, SCottie's color pick was just awful. I'd say put the bottom cast members of the last episode in that room.

I did like the other bedroom though; a four-poster bed with 4 separate beds with one on top.

jase 187 desperate attention whore postings

06-16-08, 09:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jase Click to send private message to jase Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: 6/15 Design Star episode"
Jerome made two key errors I think that resulted in his elimination.

#1- Color choice: When Michael told him that that type of color was used in the previous season (the 1st/2nd episode nevertheless), he should have picked a different one plain and simple. There was time to make the change, but he was too smug and unwilling to at least consider other people's advice.

#2- The overall design of the room was very poor: Setting aside his color choice, he really didn't come up with a creative room design/layout and I think that this was his biggest mistake. While I didn't like the dining room, at least they took chances/risks and Jerome didn't.

Good start to what I know will be another great season of DS.

DrKegel 430 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

06-17-08, 12:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DrKegel Click to send private message to DrKegel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: 6/15 Design Star episode"

>I thought Scotties room was awful,

---------------------

Totally agree. It looked cheap, barren and like a dorm room. It had nothing to do with great design nor proper use of space. Was there anything on the wall even? It added to the sense of the room being barren except for that god awful tie-dyed cheapo bed in the bag comforters. And there's nothing wrong with bed in the bag, but don't pick cheap looking ones if you're trying to win a design star title.

==========================================

>but I thought that the
>dining room was worse.
>I cannot BELIEVE those idiot
>women PAINTED that beautiful table!

---------------------------

Me neither! If I were there I would have thrown myself on that table to prevent it. There must have been a battle that wasn't seen since both those women said that others didn't agree with their design choice. You know, conceptualizing a white table is one thing, but you gotta go with the flow and what you luck out on getting. Like they originally wanted the walls black, but decided to go with the grey primer color instead. When they lucked out getting that solid wood table, they should have eliminated the paint job from their minds - especially if they wanted it to be a focal point. Painting it made it sink into the room and become inconspicuous - but that beautiful, naturally-arched wood was spectacular!!!!

====================================

> And that faux wood
>treatment on the mantle looked
>like a crayon drawing.
>I absolutely hated that room
>and think one of those
>gals shouldve gotten the boot.
------------------------

Throw them both off the show and take away their design licenses! They are not allowed to practice design anymore.

But truthfully, I think all three should have gone. Scottie's room was terrible! The girl's did have a sophisticated style in mind that would have been enhanced with the natural wood. They had differing height levels thanks to the gold leaf paintings on the wall. Scottie's room had nothing of that. He just had the boxy beds, god awful comforters and a lamp?

============================================
>
>
>OK.... and maybe it's just me...
>but wtf with all that
>crying?!?!?! Sheesh... they were
>crying over on Food Network
>Star too. I am
>done with all the tears.
> Toughen up already!!!
--------------

Can't agree with you here since I cried when I saw that primer go on the table.

WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I swear, I would have spent all night and all day getting that stupid paint off there and restoring it to it's natural beauty.

riverrocker 298 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

06-17-08, 10:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail riverrocker Click to send private message to riverrocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: 6/15 Design Star episode"
Guess I'm one of the few that watches also DH doesn't like it, so he says, but I notice he won't go out of the room when it's on.

What a crew this time! I would have booted the dining room crew AND Tracee and saved everyone the grief. Painting that gorgeous table was hideous...then painting the fireplace made no sense at all. Poor Scottie. While the room was blah & bland, at least it wasn't ridiculous. Michael will never have the personality of Sparkle, but the design of the living room was good IMHO, but the sun room reeked.

DH has a "design theory" we've noticed on all these shows: if it's light, paint it dark; if it's neutral, paint it bold; if it's classic, make it shabby or modern or hodge-podge...anything that doesn't "fit" the style of the house. And, of course, let's not give anyone nearly enough time to get the job done...or any assistants to assist--like there would be on a "real" show. I think we're getting jaded to these shows...but we're "hooked" on them anyway!

Sunny_Bunny 5581 desperate attention whore postings

06-20-08, 09:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: 6/15 Design Star episode"
Count me in as a viewer as well. I enjoy this show, and even got Ra to watch it with me.

As for the table. Both Ra and I cringed when she tossed paint on top of it!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •