The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Top 12 Rank 'em"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences So You Think You Can Dance Forum (Protected)
Original message

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-09-09, 10:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Top 12 Rank 'em"
Here they are in order of appearance (descriptions taken from the ECT). Who should the Top 10 be?

Melissa and Ade
Dance 1 = Disco (Doriana Sanchez), Move On Up, Destination
Dance 2 = Waltz (Ron Montez), Natural Woman (MJ Blige)

Kayla and Kupono
Dance 1 = Contemporary (Mia), Gravity, Sara Bareilles
Dance 2 = Broadway (Joey Dowling), The Dance At the Gyme, West Side Story

Caitlin and Jason
Dance 1 = Foxtrot (Tony Meredith), Minnie the Moocher, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Dance 2 = Jazz (Mandy Moore), Show Me Heaven, Maria McKee

Jeanine and Phillip
Dance 1 = Russian Folk Dance (Youri and Lila),Kalinka,Barynya
Dance 2 = Jive (Tony Meredith), Stuff Like That There, Bette Midler

Randi and Evan
Dance 1 = Hip Hop (Nappy Tabs), Halo, Beyonce
Dance 2 = Samba (Pasha Kovalev and Anya Garnis),Ritmo de Bam Bam,Jujuba

Janette and Brandon
Dance 1 = Argentine Tango (Miriam and Leonardo),Libertango, Forever Tango
Dance 2= Pop Jazz (Wade Robson), Rubey Blue, Roisin Murphy

Tribe made me wave

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Top 12 Rank 'em DoodleBug 07-09-09 1
 RE: Top 12 Rank 'em Glow 07-09-09 2
   RE: Top 12 Rank 'em frodis 07-09-09 10
 RE: Top 12 Rank 'em aethelstan 07-09-09 3
   RE: Top 12 Rank 'em DoodleBug 07-09-09 4
       RE: Top 12 Rank 'em aethelstan 07-09-09 5
 RE: Top 12 Rank 'em emydi 07-09-09 6
   RE: Top 12 Rank 'em DoodleBug 07-09-09 7
 RE: Top 12 Rank 'em tribephyl 07-09-09 8
 RE: Top 12 Rank 'em SilverStar 07-09-09 9
 Summary aethelstan 07-10-09 11
   RE: Summary Glow 07-10-09 12
   RE: Summary DoodleBug 07-10-09 13
       RE: Summary tribephyl 07-10-09 14
 RE: Top 12 Rank 'em djandy 07-12-09 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

07-09-09, 10:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Top 12 Rank 'em"
LAST EDITED ON 07-09-09 AT 09:00 PM (EST)

I ranked my dances based on the "wow" factor and the ones that really moved my emotions last night....

1. Kayla and Kupono - (Contemp) - I love Mia's choreography and this dance had me in tears after beat 4. It was stunningly beautiful and well executed. Kupono never broke character and Kayla was fierce. Biggest wow factor for me.

2. Janette and Brandon - (Argen Tango) - the best tango on SYTYCD! This was a very close second... These two are amazing together. Seeing them paired with someone else will be very interesting.

3. Janette and Brandon - (Jazz) - loved this, so good, synchronized and hard hits - brilliant! Wade is awesome.

4. Jeanine and Phillip - (Jive) - Jeanine's expressions during this dance really made it wonderful (she was crackin' me up) and Phillip looked great. I really liked this one a lot.

5. Melissa and Ade - (Disco) - the lifts were crazy good and they were really fun to watch.

6. Melissa and Ade - (Waltz)- Melissa was stunning in this dance and the spins of Ade - whoa..... I sighed a lot during this dance.

7. Randi and Evan - (Hip Hop) - while I didn't quite get the story of her pregnancy (other than a couple tummy touches), I thought it was an adorable dance and they did a good job.

8. Jeanine and Phillip - (Russian) - very corny, extremely boring in places, but they did well with what they were given. And I sad "wow" a time or two with Phillip's footwork. And it would have been an absolute mess if any other couple danced this.

9. Caitlin and Jason - (Contemp/Jazz) - it was good but was missing something - would have liked to have seen Melissa and Ade dance this one.

10. Kayla and Kupono - (Broadway) - not enough acting going on there, I liked the choreography, they just didn't execute it well enough

11. Caitlin and Jason - (Foxtrot) - meh

12. Randi and Evan - (Samba) - that was awkward looking

Tribe made me wave

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

07-09-09, 11:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Top 12 Rank 'em"
This is really tough. 1, 2, 3 is easy. 11, 12 is easy. The rest is tough.

1. Kayla and Kupono - Dance 1 = Contemporary (Mia), Gravity, Sara Bareilles - I think she's fabulous all the time but I thought Kupono was exceptional in this. I'm sure a lot of it came from the performance aspect of it moreso than the actual dance part... but he was really great to watch in this. And Mia really did an outstanding job with the choreo. You could really see what it was about. The way he ran his mouth up her leg was seductive in that destructive way that addiction is. The way he was keeping his hold on her, not letting her go. He really knew what he was doing here... where he was supposed to be taking his part of the choreo. Kayla did her part well. Trying to break free only to be pulled right back into his grasp. Brilliant. Heartwrenching. Mia really outdid herself. Just brilliant.
2. Janette and Brandon - Dance 2= Pop Jazz (Wade Robson), Rubey Blue, Roisin Murphy - I had this at number one until I started describing why I had these numbered the way I do. Janette and Brandon are, I think, the two best dancers in the competition at this point. They portrayed the characters well. They remained in sync. The stair work was fab. Wade is a genius. Fun!
3. Janette and Brandon - Dance 1 = Argentine Tango (Miriam and Leonardo),Libertango, Forever Tango - sexy. Janette is a beast. mmmm... Miriam and Leonardo. Can we keep them? Please.
4. Melissa and Ade - Dance 2 = Waltz (Ron Montez), Natural Woman (MJ Blige) - so pretty
5. Kayla and Kupono - Dance 2 = Broadway (Joey Dowling), The Dance At the Gyme, West Side Story - Dear Uncle Nigel, Joey told them they had just fallen in love at first sight. Why would they act "tough"? They portrayed the characters as described and danced well.
6. Randi and Evan - Dance 1 = Hip Hop (Nappy Tabs), Halo, Beyonce - I liked the choreo and they danced well enough.
7. Caitlin and Jason - Dance 1 = Foxtrot (Tony Meredith), Minnie the Moocher, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - it was okay
8.Jeanine and Phillip - Dance 2 = Jive (Tony Meredith), Stuff Like That There, Bette Midler - she can do anything. He did fine.
9. Melissa and Ade - Dance 1 = Disco (Doriana Sanchez), Move On Up, Destination - it was okay
10. Caitlin and Jason - Dance 2 = Jazz (Mandy Moore), Show Me Heaven, Maria McKee - this should have been better.
11. Randi and Evan - Dance 2 = Samba (Pasha Kovalev and Anya Garnis),Ritmo de Bam Bam,Jujuba - it just didn't fit them
12. Jeanine and Phillip - Dance 1 = Russian Folk Dance (Youri and Lila),Kalinka,Barynya - not their fault. Not the choreographer's fault. It's just not a fit for this competition.

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

07-09-09, 09:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Top 12 Rank 'em"
I normally like to do my own rankings, but didn't have time today, so I will just ditto Glow.

Tribe got my groove back

aethelstan 4348 desperate attention whore postings

07-09-09, 11:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Top 12 Rank 'em"
LAST EDITED ON 07-09-09 AT 11:55 AM (EST)

I'm never available for the performance feeds so I'll put my comments in here.

All around a good night. I suspect that two or three of these numbers will come back for the finale.

1. Brandon/Jeanette Jazz. For once, the camera work was excellent for this piece. The close-ups worked. Excellent use of the stairs, excellent timing, excellent characters, just excellent.

2. Karla & Kupono. A very powerful piece. My spouse's first chills of the season. My favourite part was when Kupono was behind Kayla and she tried to throw him off again and again. It started off slow and then built to frantic (for her) while Kupono kept the same "you're not getting away" grin.

3. Brandon/Jeanette Tango. Best tango on this show. My spouse wanted to watch it a second time, which never happens. The final lift across stage and closing drop was priceless. We both gasped as we momentarily worried that she'd fall. I love how Janette had the 'pained - I hate you but I love you' look on her face which is typical of a good tango. The professionals had it a few weeks ago.

BIG GAP

4-9 really bunched together.

4. Randi/Evan - Samba. Here Evan showed me he can do lifts. I was impressed here even though here, more than in other dances, you could tell they were short. My spouse and I both think that Randi's very cute too.

5. Philip and Jeanine - Jive. A fun number but it was not nearly as difficult as Randi and Evan's earlier this year. There was no critique on kick retractions because there were no kick retractions! Still, it was entertaining. Jeanine is clearly way better and more versatile than Philip, not to mention one of the more attractive women this year.

6. Caitlin/Jason - Jazz. Finally something in their own style. It was good but not great. It's kind of here by default, I suppose.

7. Melissa /Ade - Disco. Another lift-fest though the splits lift was spectacular. It's quite something to see someone be able to drop into the splits at the drop of a hat. Impressive.

8. Caitlin/Jason - Foxtrot. It wasn't overly great but not bad either. It's here because the others were worse, imo.

9. Melissa and Ade - Waltz. That wasn't a waltz. They almost never danced in closed position. That was just an excuse to get Ade to life Melissa.... again! Nice pirouettes though.

another gap

10. Karla and Kupono - Broadway. It was danced well enough but didn't have a spark to make me go wow.

11. Randi and Evan Hip Hop. This just didn't work for me. The story was silly. Evan didn't even react to Randi suggesting she was pregnant. They could have dropped that entirely. The lifts looks very awkward and there were timing issues. But they are still a cute couple together.

12. Jeanine and Philip Russian Folk dance. I thought they did well for what was attempted but I wasn't tempted to see it a second time.

In sum:
Janette/Brandon 4
Karla/Kupono 12
Caitlin/Jason 14
Randi/Evan 15
Melissa/Ade 16
Philip/Jeanine 17

Hmmm. That's an interesting bottom 3!

Edited a bit for doodle

07-09-09, 11:39 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Top 12 Rank 'em"
On the waltz, the Choreographer said it wasn't a traditional waltz and that they would be breaking contact and not in closed position the whole time. So it wasn't the fault of the dancers...

07-09-09, 11:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Top 12 Rank 'em"
LAST EDITED ON 07-09-09 AT 11:57 AM (EST)

That's true but it seemed to me a lot like their previous numbers and was there any closed position in there at all? Their rumba didn't seem to have much rumba in there, either. There were elements of the pas de deux in there; there were elements of their contemporary from week 1 as well.

Overall, outside of the top 3, I had issues for each of the other dances. If we were giving marks instead of ranks, the top three would be A to A+ while the rest would be C on down, but largely bunched together.

Ok. I looked at it again and there was some closed position and waltz elements in there. I could probably have upped this dance a few spots since they were all so bunched together. But don't get me wrong. I really like this couple. I just think that it seems like week after week we are seeing a similar story: He lifts her gracefully and they spend some time flirting with each other like they are newly in love.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

07-09-09, 12:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Top 12 Rank 'em"
I haven't read anyone's yet. My DVR's hard drive died last nite in the middle so I didn't see many of the dances and judges comments but here goes

1. Brandon Janette-Pop Jazz Wade--he is a choreo god. This was the best dance of the season for me I loved the story and Brandon and Janette really sold it. I think Brandon is the best overall dancer in the comp, wh he will win is another story...but he has a better chance now than at top 20. I think this is a definite tour dance

2. Kayla Kupono Cont Mia--this was an amazing choreo dance and Kupo and Kayla were fab in this. Also a def tour dance. I loved how he kept grabbing at her and she was no make up and his was so dark (like he should have been last week as vampire!)

3. Phillip Jeanine Jive Tony and Melanie I love Tony and Melanie!! This was an amazing dance and Phillip really stepped up and Jeanine was so cute shaking her oobies in his face. I think Jeanine may be the Kris of SYTYCD this year

4. Brandon Janette Arg Tango--This was a great dance...I'm not sure if they did it perfectly (qpie?) but I really liked it

5. Evan Randi HH Nappy Tabs I really loved the story and they were very good, better than I thought like mary said

6. Melissa Ade Waltz- I really like this The lines were great and Ade's spin was great, not as good this week as in past ones for me

7. Jason Caitlin Jazz Mandy--I like that they finally got to to their styles. But they seemed out of synch, esp Caitlin

8. Evan Randi Samba-Pasha Anya- This was good but not as good as their hh

9. Phillip Jeanine-I thought this was ok but it was a weird genre...this but no country or tap?

10. Melissa Ade-Disco..I didn't like this much. Melissa looked out of sorts and her outfit was blech and her hair btw. It seemed very cheesy to me.. The lifting ability of Ade is great though

11. Jason Caitlin Fox trot--I really did not like this at all..it was all messy imo and the lifts were off but what do I know

12. Kayla Kupono Broadway this was cheesefest 09 I really do not like this new Broadway choreo. She's a biyotch w/o the talent of Mia....

Averages:

Brandon Janette 1-4 = 2.5
Phillip and Jeanine 3-9 = 6.0
Evan Randi 5-8 = 6.5
Kayla Kupono 2-12 = 7.0
Melissa Ade 6-10 = 8.0
Jason Caitlin 7-11 9.0

Hence my Should Be B3, but everyone but Brandette could be in B3

07-09-09, 01:46 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Top 12 Rank 'em"
this but no country or tap?

Good point! Where is the west coast swing (and Benji and Lacey)?

And if Melissa can perform en pointe, then Evan should be able to do some soft shoe on stage.

tribephyl 9688 desperate attention whore postings

07-09-09, 04:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Top 12 Rank 'em"

1. Janette and Brandon ~ Argentine Tango
2. Janette and Brandon ~ Pop Jazz
3. Kayla and Kupono ~ Contemporary
4. Melissa and Ade ~ Waltz
5. Jeanine and Phillip ~ Jive
6. Melissa and Ade ~ Disco
7. Caitlin and Jason ~ Foxtrot
8. Caitlin and Jason ~ Jazz
9. Kayla and Kupono ~ Broadway
10. Randi and Evan ~ Hip Hop
11. Randi and Evan ~ Samba
12. Jeanine and Phillip ~ Russian Folk Dance

I never would have believed that I'd see an Argentine Tango done with such attention to detail, such intensity, such heat, in my life-time. Thank you, Brandon and Janette. Not to mention the absolutely incredible and entertaining Wade Robson number. These two were just flawless this week.

Top Three:
Janette and Brandon: 23
Melissa and Ade: 16
Kayla and Kupono: 14

Bottom Three:
Caitlin and Jason: 11
Jeanine and Phillip: 9
Randi and Evan: 5

SilverStar 6205 desperate attention whore postings

07-09-09, 05:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SilverStar Click to send private message to SilverStar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Top 12 Rank 'em"
1. Kayla/Kupono, Contemporary-- Wow. This was just amazing. The part when Kayla was reaching her hand up, reaching for the stars, and Kupono was just holding her arm and not letting her go actually made me cry. It's been awhile since a routine moved me as much as this one. I hate Mia, but I love her choreo. LOVE this dance. I'm so upset that they will probably end up in the bottom again because a lot of people hate on Kayla since she is praised so much. But I think she deserves it. She's amazing and I think Kupono is wonderful, too. I will be devastated if either of them are sent home tonight.

2. Brandon/Janette, Jazz-- I love this couple so much already, and then you add WADE into the mix? A recipe for absolute awesomeness. I loved everything about this; the music, the costumes, the movement, the story. It was perfect.

3. Brandon/Janette, Argentine Tango-- Man, they are just so good at everything! I don't know what else to say about them. They're just wonderful. Period.

4. Caitlin/Jason, Jazz-- Finally we get to see them both dance in their style and I liked it a lot. They don't have a lot of chemistry together and I'd be fine with either or both of them leaving, but I really think they did this dance beautifully.

5. Kayla/Kupono, Broadway-- It wasn't amazing or anything, but I enjoyed this dance. I like this new choreographer so much more than Tyce. His broadway was always just a bunch of frantic running around and I feel that Joey's choreo is actual dance. They did a good job.

6. Melissa/Ade, Disco-- Nice to see them do something more fast and upbeat. This was the first time I actually liked Ade. I thought they did really well.

7. Phillip/Jeanine, Jive-- Very surprising! I thought this would be a trainwreck for Phillip, but he did a great job. He was kinda slipping all over the place, but he still had strong movements and sharp footwork. I can't get the song out of my head right now. Jeanine is gorgeous and a wonderful dancer.

8. Melissa/Ade, Waltz-- Meh. It was lovely and graceful, but that's nothing new. It was just more of the same from them.

9. Caitlin/Jason, Foxtrot-- Nice, but not exciting.

10. Randi/Evan, Hip Hop-- I'm really sick of NappyTabs routines. Randi and Evan did a good job, but not good enough to make me actually like this.

11. Randi/Evan, Samba-- What a disappointment. The choreography was awesome and Randi did a great job, but Evan just sucked all of the energy out of this dance. He had no spice or fire, no hip movement, no fun.

12. Phillip/Jeanine, Russian Folk-- Blah. This was awkward and boring and I agree with Nigel that it wasn't really the dancers fault. It's just not a good style for the show and I hope they never bring it back again.

Flashy moves by Tribe!

07-10-09, 10:20 AM (EST)
11. "Summary"
Here's the summary for this week. Everyone had the same 3 dances in the top 3. As a result, Janette and Brandon easily won this week. The average scores really tell the story.

Oh. This is based on 7 people putting in their picks. Regulars djandy, citywitch and Belle Book didn't put in their preferences this week but tribe did for the first time and Glow did for only the second time.

Rank Girl Guy Average Rank, Worst Rank, Best Rank
1 Janette Brandon 2.40 2.5 2
2 Kayla Kupono 4.90 7 3
3 Melissa Ade 7.00 8 5.5
4 Jeanine Philip 8.00 10 6
5 Caitlin Jason 8.20 10 6.5
6 Randi Evan 8.50 10.5 6.5

The best possible would have been 1st+2nd / 2 = 1.5 average rank. The worst would have been 11.5.

There is no change in the cumulative ranks.

Bounced by IceCat!

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

07-10-09, 12:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Summary"
only the second time? I better get with it, eh.

07-10-09, 02:11 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Summary"
This is why I'm surprised it was Melissa and Ade in the B3 instead of Evan and Randi. They all made the tour anyway but still. Would the judges have gotten rid of Evan over Phillip? Probably not....

tribephyl 9688 desperate attention whore postings

07-10-09, 09:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Summary"
Would the judges have gotten rid of Evan over Phillip? Probably not....

I dunno about that.
In the judges eyes, Evan and Phillip are BOTH incapable of adapting to new styles with any sense of technical acuity. (Or are verrrry slow to show improvement) but Phillip has a way better stage-presence. Even with ripped pants Phillip carried on with excitement and believability. Evan is mostly, visibly, concentrating (or mugging). Which is not fun to watch.

But I also understand, completely, the need to nip-this-fan-base-in-the-bud "opportunity" the judges were making with removing Phillip BEFORE the eliminations were to be switched to America's Choice.

djandy 1711 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

07-12-09, 05:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail djandy Click to send private message to djandy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Top 12 Rank 'em"
Doing this late since I'm tracking their ranking week to week.

Dance Rankings:
1.) Janette & Brandon - Argentine Tango
2.) Janette & Brandon - Pop Jazz
3.) Jeanine & Phillip - Jive
4.) Kayla & Kupono - Contemporary
5.) Randi & Evan - Hip Hop
6.) Caitlin & Jason - Jazz
7.) Melissa & Ade - Waltz
8.) Randi & Evan - Samba
9.) Melissa & Ade - Disco
10.) Caitlin & Jason - Foxtrot
11.) Kayla & Kupono - Broadway
12.) Jeanine & Phillip - Russian Folk Dance

Couple Rankings:
1.) Janette & Brandon (3)
2.) Randi & Evan (13)
3.) Jeanine & Phillip (15)
3.) Kayla & Kupono (15)
5.) Melissa & Ade (16)
5.) Caitlin & Jason (16)

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •