The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rank the top 8"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences So You Think You Can Dance Forum (Protected)
Original message

aethelstan 4348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

07-24-08, 08:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rank the top 8"
LAST EDITED ON 07-24-08 AT 08:43 AM (EST)

Since Emy is in Canada, I'll start this one. Actually, I can't since my DW took off the VCR timer so I missed the first half of the show. For everyone's second numbers, I'd have to go in this order.

Josh and Chelsie - Jazz. That was lots of fun though it looked like Josh almost fell right at the beginning.
Katee and Twitch - Broadway. So that's two male dancers that Katee has seduced in her past two broadway numbers?
Will and Courtney - Hip hop. This number didn't do anything for me.
Mark and Comfort - Foxtrot. This number either.

I suspect, based on the clips they show at the end and the comments here, that I would have liked a number, if not all, of the first half numbers better than the second half numbers.

As far as solos go. I generally prefer the partner numbers to the solos. A lot of them seem to be repeating similar moves week after week. Chelsie does the hip thing and swivels. Mark does that playing the piano move and semi hip hop. Twitch, Josh and Comfort all have their signature hip hop moves. It would have been interesting to see Will's since he did a character.

PS. Does anyone else see any irony that America is voting for either a black man, someone born in Hawaii or a woman?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Rank the top 8 Glow 07-24-08 1
   RE: Rank the top 8 LostAddict 07-24-08 2
       RE: Rank the top 8 Glow 07-24-08 3
           RE: Rank the top 8 LostAddict 07-24-08 10
               RE: Rank the top 8 Glow 07-24-08 11
   RE: Rank the top 8 aethelstan 07-24-08 7
       RE: Rank the top 8 Glow 07-24-08 9
 RE: Rank the top 8 DoodleBug 07-24-08 4
   RE: Rank the top 8 Glow 07-24-08 5
       RE: Rank the top 8 DoodleBug 07-24-08 6
           RE: Rank the top 8 Glow 07-24-08 8
 RE: Rank the top 8 SilverStar 07-24-08 12
   RE: Rank the top 8 aethelstan 07-24-08 13
 RE: Rank the top 8 Snidget 07-24-08 14
 RE: Rank the top 8 aethelstan 07-25-08 15
 RE: Rank the top 8 Sagebrush Dan 07-25-08 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-24-08, 09:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Rank the top 8"
This was REALLY hard.

Solos:
1. Mark – “piano move”? *head tilt* Do you mean the Bo Rhap routine from the audition shows? He hasn’t done that since. *sigh* Anyhoo… I love Mark and his musicality and his hair.
2. Twitch
3. Will – yay for awesome cheese!
4. Chelsie
5. Katee
6. Joshua
7. Comfort (I actually thought this one was pretty good and thought she must have had some help with it from Twitch or maybe Mark because it showed some pretty good musicality and as far as I've seen, those are the only two that "get" musicality enough to try to coach it... she has worked with those two in the past two weeks. hmmm)
8. Courtney

Couples rank:
1. Comfort and Mark Hip Hop – I would have never guessed that one of these pre-performance packages would ever warm me up to Comfort. She was quite adorable. They seemed to have the best connection of all the couples, imo. You could tell they are friends and feed off each other. This? Was the best hip hop of the season by a pretty large margin (and that Comfort and Twitch one last week was awesome).

---HUGE GAP---

wow. the rest is hard. Almost impossible. I've sat with it way too long. I kept trying to rearrange it because it will come across as biased but I swear it isn't (I mean, it has some bias flavor but I am being honest with my rankings).

2. Katee & Twitch Broadway – you could have held a gun to my head and I wouldn’t have told you this would be my #2. I really didn’t like it all that much. But I guess it was performed well. It wasn’t as stupid as the boat but boy howdy I need a break from Tyce’s Broadway. Katee was adorable, as usual, and I loved the pre-package. I could see what Toni was saying though, believe it or not, about Katee’s portrayal of the character.

3. Comfort & Mark Foxtrot – shut up! shut up! shut up Mary! because this was actually pretty good. Pretty choreo. Loved Mark in the beginning. The lift at the end was really good. There are three of the things that I liked about this and that’s more than I liked about the rest of them.

4. Courtney & Will Samba – hmmm. I kept getting distracted by Will’s belt buckle so I don’t remember much about it. Look shiny! Was it good? I have no idea. I even just tried to watch it again and I still can’t stop staring at his belt buckle.

5. Courtney & Will Hip Hop – uuuuuuuuuugh. Because and only because of Will. No connection. No emotion. Choreo svcked. Wardrobe was atrocious. Hmmm. This one would have probably been bottomed almost every other week this season.

6. Katee & Twitch “Contemporary” – You see? I put that in quotes. I've about had enough of Mia and her hiding lack of technique with props. And? I almost want to give this bottom because of that grotesque kiss but it was still better than the other two.

7. Chelsie & Joshua Argentine Tango – no! no! no! *bittercakes with syrup on top* plus it svcked anyway. I guess Mr. Gorgeous Dmitri tried to make it sleazy enough for Nigel but it was a mess. Josh was a mess. Poor boy. Chelsie was gorgeous. Poor girl.

8. Chelsie & Joshua Disco – yeeeeesh. I was uncomfortable watching it. Here’s how I’m supposing we were supposed to watch that: “OMG! Omg! Omg! HE'S GOING TO DROP HER! he’s going to drop her! he’s going to drop her! Whew! HE DIDN'T DROP HER! Wow! THAT WAS REALLY GOOD!!!!!1” Except that it wasn’t.

Mark – 5
Twitch – 10
Comfort – 11
Will – 12
Katee – 13
Courtney - 17
Chelsie - 19
Joshua – 21

But. If I had to rank them individually on last night’s performances it would look much different. Funny that.
1. Mark (maybe Chelsie)
2. Chelsie (maybe Mark)
3. Will
4. Katee
5. Twitch
6. Comfort
7. Courtney
8. Joshua

And I swear I really like Joshua! Boy was just a mess last night.

A ho's (and Snidge's) work is never done.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

LostAddict 420 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

07-24-08, 10:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail LostAddict Click to send private message to LostAddict Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Rank the top 8"
LAST EDITED ON 07-24-08 AT 10:50 AM (EST)

okay, here are mine:

Individual
1. Will- This suprised me. I don't get much emotion from him, but I loved him "in character" doing a James Brown dance.
2. Twitch- I could watch his hip-hop all day.
3. Josh- I love his hip hop too.
4. Katee- Of the girls, I like her best, but she's still pretty meh.
5. Mark- I hate to rank him this low, but I just don't get his idividual style. I like it, I just don't get the technical side of it.
6. Comfort- Why here? Because I feel like she tried harder than the bottom 2.
7. Chelsie- boring.
8. Courtney- boring.

Group
1. Twitch & Katee- Contemporary. I'm loving Mia Michaels CHOREOGRAPHY, I could do without her comments. This was such a great story, and I just loved how emotional it all seemed. And I had to watch it over because I liked it so much.
2. Mark & Comfort- Hip Hop. I loved this. The story was great, they did great. Fan-friggin-tastic
3. Josh & Chelsie- disco. This is only here because of the tricks. The dancing, well, what dancing? But the tricks were awesome. That whole airplane flippy thing freaked me out.
4. Will & Courtney- hip hop. It was good, but I didn't feel it the way the judges did.
5. Twitch & Katee- broadway. I didn't feel like there was much dancing, just katee chasing twitch around the stage. but she chased good and he ran good, so here they are.
6. Will & Courtney- samba. maybe this should be higher, I don't really know, I too was distracted by the belt.
7. Josh & Chelsie- Argentine Tango. I think this is so low because of Nigel's gushing. Sure it was good, but was it really THAT good?
8. Mark & Comfort- foxtrot. She was beautiful, he tried hard, but that's it.

I forgot to add totals:
1. Twitch (8)
2. Katee (10)
3. Will (11)
4. Josh (13)
5. Mark (15)
6. Comfort (16)
7. Chelsie (17)
8. courtney (18)

Surfkitten summer sigshop

07-24-08, 11:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Rank the top 8"
*sigh* I feel like such a nag and I am truly so sorry but I have to comment about this:
"5. Mark- I hate to rank him this low, but I just don't get his idividual style. I like it, I just don't get the technical side of it."

Somebody here said this better than I could ever dream of so I'll just quote some from it (and believe me, it's difficult for me to not just quote the whole thing).

"His true strength has to be his musicality, and when Shankman told Comfort and Chris after their jazz that it felt like they were dancing to the music instead of feeling the music move through them, I thought immediately of Mark."

"Because Mia can talk all she wants to about how his acting may be covering his technical failures, and the judges can talk all day long about lines and pirouettes and whatever else, but before anyone had a name for techniques, there was simply dance."

"People simply moved to sounds as they were inspired to, and every culture moved a little differently, and sometimes those movements intertwined and sometimes they didn't, and that's one of the beauties of dance. Over time, these movements became refined and taught and we call them technique, but dance wasn't born of technique, of boxes labeled ballet or ballroom or hip hop or Nigel's loathsome "too twee" for TV. It was born of music. A deep sensitivity to the beauty and power of sound. And that's what Mark has. Musicality."

I always, always, always, in my personal life and on reality shows (some of those I have been lucky enough to have come together) root for people that can make me feel. Mark's spirit is so incredibly moving to me. I can't even explain it. I would have never expected him to move me the way he does, to make me feel as passionate as I do but there you have it. I wasn't prepared for Mark.

Again, I am truly sorry for force-feeding him to you because, God, I effing hate that. I just can't sit quietly when it comes to him. I'll try though. Promise. *zips lips*

LostAddict 420 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

07-24-08, 01:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LostAddict Click to send private message to LostAddict Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Rank the top 8"
Don't appologize, I understand. Well, or maybe the problem is that I don't understand. Do you understand? ;) I LIKE Mark, and I love his choreographed dances, I just don't really feel the same about his individual dances. But hey, Twitch and Josh move me, so who's to say what each of us wants right?

Surfkitten summer sigshop

07-24-08, 01:58 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Rank the top 8"
I understand totally!
I can absolutely see people being moved by anybody. Twitch is amazing and sunshine and hard-working and for some reason, I am so in love with him today... I'm not sure where that came from. Joshua is adorable and he's a total force and he's so young and dedicated. I imagine him to be in this world of dance for a very long time because he should be. Will is beautiful and elegant and can hypnotize you with his shiny belt buckles. Katee is stunning and versatile (though it's tough to remember that since it feels like she's only gotten contemp and broadway for the past billion weeks). Chelsie is gorgeous and so great at what she does and has really grown. Comfort is learning and growing. Courtney is... cute.

07-24-08, 12:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Rank the top 8"
“piano move”?

Last night, Mark did this thing where he puts his hands in front of him and brings them up and down in alternating fashion, like he's playing the piano or like he's taking Kleenex out of a box.

Later addition: In the Bohemian Rhapsody solo in the top 10 routine, it was just one hand and not very long, so I was misremembering there. And he didn't do it in the Black Betty routine either. (Thank you, you tube!) So what do I know? </addition>

That being said, my comment wasn't about Mark in specific. I think that all the dancers have some stock moves/moves that they feel most comfortable with and these keep popping up in their solos. As a result, I usually find most or all of the pair numbers to be better than the solos.

The other thing I don't like is all the finger pointing and hamming for the camera when Cat mentions which number to call. I understand they need to look animated but I still find it annoying. Here Mark is the worst for it.

Bounced by IceCat!

07-24-08, 12:32 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Rank the top 8"
LAST EDITED ON 07-24-08 AT 02:12 PM (EST)

"or like he's taking Kleenex out of a box"
hee! Hold on. *runs to youtube* *waits for boss to leave office*
crap! I'll get back to that.

ETA: OMG. Somebody (I'm looking at you, Dick Clark) is cracking down on the tubeys. WAAAAAAAAAAAH! I deleted last night's show from my DVR.

"The other thing I don't like is all the finger pointing and hamming for the camera when Cat mentions which number to call. I understand they need to look animated but I still find it annoying. Here Mark is the worst for it."

I think it is cute.

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

07-24-08, 11:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Rank the top 8"
Solos:
1. Will - pure entertainment and very creative
2. Josh - I like his hip hop more than Twitch.
3. Katee - I can "feel" her more than any of the other girls
4. Twitch - the running around the stage thing had me saying huh?
5. Mark - I just don't quite get his solos - and Glowie - it's just a personal perference, that's all.
6. Chelsie - nice moves
7. Courtney - boring
8. Comfort - didn't like this one at all

Couples rank:
1. Comfort and Mark Hip Hop – ok, I must first say that I am biased towards hip hop because I consider myself a hip hop/jazz dancer. So I really get into these routines, love the moves, love the "stories" with them and judge them pretty tough. I loved this one.

2. Katee & Twitch "door routine" – I loved this. Call it what you want (didn't see much contemporary) but I thought it was well-danced and very creative choreo from Mia. I'm a sucker for prop routines. I think only Twitch (or Mark) could have pulled this off. Mia did Twitch a HUGE favor with this routine. And Katee was awesome.

3. Katee & Twitch Broadway – I thought Katee wasn't raw enough in it but I still enjoyed it more than the others. Her dancing was awesome and Twitch's character was great.

4. Courtney & Will Samba – Will was only halfway there but Courtney really shined on this routine - mega fun!

5. Mark and Comfort Fox Trot - I put them this high only for Mark. He looked great.

6. Chelsie and Josh Tango - I loved Chelsie in this routine. I'm not going to judge the authenticity of the style - just what they were given to work with. I believed it but Josh was kinda rough with his moves.

7. Chelsie & Joshua Disco – super difficult with too many tricks. This is not a competition for America's Strongest Dancer - it's America's FAVORITE dancer. I didn't have high expectations with this routine which is probably why it is not #8 for me.

8. Courtney and Will Hip Hop - too much judge pimping on this routine. Didn't feel it. Thought the outfits were horrible. Hits were not hard. I hate Will in a hip hop routine. Period. Not even CLOSE to "Bleeding Love" or "No Air". If Josh and Katee had done this? It would have ranked higher....no doubt.

Rankings
Katee 8
Twitch 9 (thanks to Katee)
Mark 11
Will 13 (thanks to his solo)
Comfort 14 (thanks to that first number)
Josh 15 (poor Josh - bad draw on styles)
Chelsie/Courtney 19 (poor Chelsie - see Josh)

Personal Rankings:
Katee
Josh
Chelsie
Will
Mark
Twitch
Courtney

BIG GAP....

Comfort

07-24-08, 12:14 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Rank the top 8"
Personal preference I totally get, love. Nothing I can say to that. The last comment I made was in response to this: "I just don't get the technical side of it." And I was merely commenting on the getting the technicality in his solos. I was in no way commenting on his placement in anybody's rankings. I certainly don't begrudge anybody their personal preference. Heck, I'm the last person to tell somebody they can't have preferences. I'm a ho!

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

07-24-08, 12:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Rank the top 8"
Gotcha. Just wanted to clarify.

And I'd love to see Mark and Katee dance so I'm hoping he sticks around! I voted for him!

07-24-08, 12:25 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Rank the top 8"
Yay for voting! I just wish I was sure he wasn't leaving. If he leaves tonight *dramatically places back of hand on forehead* I will be okay because I LOVED that hip hop so very much. I would love to see him dance with Katee though and if he leaves I will feel robbed of that.

SilverStar 6205 desperate attention whore postings

07-24-08, 02:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SilverStar Click to send private message to SilverStar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Rank the top 8"
Alrighty. Well, I have to say that I really, really liked pretty much all of the dances last night, even the disco and broadway which I usually HATE, so this is a tough ranking for me.

Partner routines
1. Mark/Comfort, Hip Hop-- This was awesome! I loved it.

2. Courtney/Will, Samba-- Yeah, work those hips! I thought they were both great in this dance.

3. Katee/Twitch, Contemporary-- They are here because of Katee. She is a.ma.zing.

4. Katee/Twitch, Broadway-- See above. Katee rocks my world. That girl must have some serious ab muscles to hold herself up the way she did in some of those lifts. I love Twitch, but I think I'm ready for him to go now.

5. Mark/Comfort, Foxtrot-- Mark was awesome and this is the best Comfort has ever done in ballroom, IMO. It was quite good.

6. Chelsie/Josh, Argentine Tango-- I don't know why, but I liked it.

7. Chelsie/Josh, Disco-- I don't like routines that seem to be all tricks, but I have to give it up to them because those lifts all seemed really hard, and I thought they did great. They are only this low because I did notice a few stumbles here and there.

8. Courtney/Will, Hip Hop-- I thought it was danced well, but I just didn't get much from it. Disappointing.

Solos
1. Mark
2. Will- Ha!
3. Courtney
4. Twitch- stop with the IV Real shoulder thing. FOR REAL!
5. Katee
6. Joshua
7. Chelsie
8. Comfort

Overall
1. Mark 7
2. Twitch 11 (I liked his solo better than Katee's, but he should not be this high)
3. Katee 12
4. Will 12
5. Courtney 13
6. Comfort 14
7. Joshua 19
8. Chelsie 20

Flashy moves by Tribe!

07-24-08, 03:26 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Rank the top 8"
I don't like routines that seem to be all tricks

To me, that routine was like watching pairs figure skating, where lifts are common. So, I never expected him to drop her, nor did I fear it.

However, pairs figure skating in an entirely different event than the dance figure skating event.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

07-24-08, 06:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Rank the top 8"
Some of these dances I did not like as much on the rewatch. I ranked as I replayed the dances

Solos

1. Will - Who knew he had a sense of humor about himself.
2. Mark - What can I say, I like surreal and quirky.
3. Joshua - Had some cool moves that we haven't seen a million times already.
4. Courtney - Pretty standard angsty contemporary solo, had a nice spin and a few other nice moves.
5. Twitch - I liked using the whole stage but I'm done with that Super T thing.
6. Chelsie - She shimmies pretty good.
7. Katee - She can leap pretty good, and fling herself around.
8. Comfort - Really good if she were dancing in a club

Couple

1. Comfort and Mark - Hip Hop I didn't want to like her in this but that was really cool and they both did really well.
2. Katee and Twitch - Broadway Liked it more than the Samba, surprised I have this higher than their Contemporary, but at least they danced more of the time.
3. Courtney and Will - Samba Pretty hot, but nothing spectacular
4. Katee and Twitch - Contemporary, would be higher if they danced the whole time, too much standing.
5. Mark - Foxtrot Loved the lines he had and seemed so elegant
5. Courtney and Will - Hip Hop I didn't like this as much on the rewatch, maybe the judges comments from last night had me wanting it more cathartic, and it just wasn't.
6. Chelsie and Joshua - Disco Liked the tricks but not enough good dancing in between
7. Chelsie and Joshua - Argeintine Tango. Also took too long to get dancing.
8. Comfort - Foxtrot She really didn't match his line and really brought the whole number down.

Mark 8
Will 10
Twitch 11
Courtney 12
Katee 13
Joshua 16
Comfort 17
Chelsie 19

07-25-08, 09:29 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Rank the top 8"
Well, I finally saw, thanks to you tube, the other four routines as well as Will's solo.

And, yep, I preferred the first half to the second.

Mark and Comfort's hip hop. that lift may be the best lift I've ever seen. It was sick. I had to rewind right away to see it again.

Katee and Twitch Contemporary. It's true that the dancing wasn't even but sometimes dance is like that. The Pas de Deux in the results show was like that to me. The man did nothing compared to the woman in that routine. But it told a story and for me the Katee and Twitch routine here told a story and was highly entertaining and they made excellent use of the prop. I loved the part where the music dies down a little and Twitch opens the door to see if she's gone only to find her hanging on the door itself. Awesome stuff.

Will and Courtney's samba. I thought Courtney was fabulous in this. She really had her hips moving. Will not so much. I think Josh would have done better here because, as we saw with an earlier samba with Josh and Katee, Josh can move his hips properly.

Josh and Chelsie's AT. I was entertained by this but the others were better.

Will's solo was fabulous. He could take that act on the road.

Bounced by IceCat!

Sagebrush Dan 9824 desperate attention whore postings

07-25-08, 10:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Sagebrush%20Dan Click to send private message to Sagebrush%20Dan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Rank the top 8"
Solos:
Will
Didn't like the rest.

Pairs:
Everything in the first half is lumped together as being really really good.

Second half: meh. All lumped together here, too.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •