The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Product placement"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Big Brother Bashers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Fast Eddie 625 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-29-03, 10:22 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Product placement"
Does anyone else feel insulted by the over-the-top McDonald's product placement on Wed? Personally, I don't mind when people on shows eat, drink or use a name brand product. I think it looks stupid and unreal when someone drinks a no-name "Cola". But this was like a five minute commercial for McDonald's. I wonder how much Mickey D paid for that? A lot more than 10 free meals.

I'm already picturing the next Survivor. People will win a bunch of Buds and go on for 5 minutes about how it tastes great but is less filling (leaving more room for rice and scrawny fish?)

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Product placement Nicegrl99 08-29-03 1
   RE: Product placement Fast Eddie 08-29-03 2
       RE: Product placement bb4fan 08-29-03 3
           RE: Product placement Fast Eddie 08-29-03 4
           RE: Product placement SurvivinDawg 08-29-03 10
       RE: Product placement AZ_Leo 09-02-03 12
   RE: Product placement SurvivinDawg 08-29-03 9
 RE: Product placement Bucky Katt 08-29-03 5
   RE: Product placement Fast Eddie 08-29-03 6
       RE: Product placement indian girl 08-29-03 7
           RE: Product placement AMAI 08-29-03 8
 RE: Product placement SkyRaider 09-01-03 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Nicegrl99 54 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-29-03, 10:56 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Product placement"
Survivor already has done a lot of product placement (i.e. sleeping in a Pontiac Aztec, winning a Saturn, drinking Bud and Coca-Cola...)

Possibly the WORST example of Mark Burnett's fervor for product placement is on "The Resteraunt". AMEX, Bud Light, and Mitsubishi were ALL OVER!

Welcome to our overly capitalist society

"Belief creates the actual fact"
Nicegrl99

08-29-03, 11:52 AM (EST)
2. "RE: Product placement"
Yes, of course they have, as have many others. Frankly, it doesn't bother me as long as it's done in a natural way. I can understand that the people paying for the show, so that we can watch for free, want something worthwhile for their money. With people zipping through commercials, what else can they do but place product? Winning a bunch of Bud or Coke seems normal; winning no-name beers or colas doesn't. But going on about it and reciting their advertising slogans for 5 or 10 minutes is where I start getting offended. I watched all the Restaurant episodes and noticed the Bud Light, but not the Amex, nor Mitsubishi (and Vespa is a brand, not a generic). I never heard any one give a commercial for it.

> Welcome to our overly capitalist society.

The alternative would be commercial-free TV where you are forced to pay for the programs through your taxes, whether you watch or not.

For those of lesser age, you may not recall that at one time most TV shows were sponsored entirely by one company, which then had a sign hanging there throughout the show, had the hosts do a commercial, even had their name on the show (e.g., Colgate Drama Hour). I recall one episode of Jack Benny, sponsored by Lucky Strike cigarettes, where he opened his safe with the combination LS/MFT - the Lucky Strike slogan. But he didn't make an issue of it. If you knew the slogan, you got it. If not, you didn't.

bb4fan 141 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-29-03, 12:22 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Product placement"
LAST EDITED ON 08-29-03 AT 12:24 PM (EST)

And games shows and variety shows didn't "go" to comericials, but rather did them live. The MC would just turn towards the camera, show the product, and read the cue cards pitching Geritol or whatever. It would be like Jay Leno or Bob Barker reading comericial lines and going right back to the show without ever leaving the camera shot.

I'm afraid we just have to live with advertising as it is today. BB has already promoted Subway, Burger King, and other companies in the same way it did McDonald's. And game shows "advertise" products as they describe prizes (no one wins a washing machine - they win "The Acme Super-duper high-tech washing machine, the best washing machine ever built!"). Just the way things are now.

08-29-03, 01:00 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Product placement"
> It would be like
>Jay Leno or Bob Barker
>reading comericial lines and going
>right back to the show
>without ever leaving the camera
>shot.

Johnny Carson's Tonight Show did that. They would cut over to Ed McMahon, who would make a pitch, or sometimes Johnny himself would pick up a product and read stuff. But there was a clear distinction between what was a commercial and what was the show. They didn't have the guests make a pitch under the guise of telling you something about themselves.

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-29-03, 11:53 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Product placement"
It would be like Jay Leno or Bob Barker reading comericial lines and going right back to the show without ever leaving the camera shot.

This is done on radio ALL the time. The host (sports programming, or Rush Limbaugh, etc.) reads the commercial. Sometimes it's taped, sometimes it's live.

P.S. Don't mess with my man Bob Barker. He is a Georgia Bulldog.

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

09-02-03, 10:38 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Product placement"
And judging from these posts, it doesn't seem to work that well.

On the Restaurant, it was Coors Light not Bud.

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-29-03, 11:50 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Product placement"
Welcome to our overly capitalist society

To this Objectivist, there is no such thing as an "overly" capitalist society.

Of course, if you or anyone else prefers the alternative, there is always Cuba or North Korea. Delta Airlines is ready when you are, and they do fly overseas.

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Bucky Katt 3146 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-29-03, 01:44 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Product placement"
With the increasing popularity of TiVo, you will see a lot more of this. Product placements incorporated into TV shows will become more and more popular. Get used to it.

"How fascinating for you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm due to make a deposit at the local savings and litter box."

08-29-03, 02:59 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Product placement"
Thanks for your careful reading and support. I am used to it, and have no objection to product placement. I actually kind of like it. What I object to are active, extended commercials posing as program content.

But yeah, we're probably stuck with it.

indian girl 142 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-29-03, 03:16 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Product placement"
The only thing I didn't get was that a couple of weeks ago, Burger King was the product that the HG's were munching on, and now it's Mickey D's?? Usually Burger King and MCDonald's wouldn't advertise against each other as usually they buy the rights (especially for movies), so I found that very interesting. It's like one day Simon Cowell is sitting in front of the American Idol wannabe's sipping a Pepsi.

AMAI 1254 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

08-29-03, 11:23 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Product placement"
Indian Girl, what is interesting about the comparison between Burger King & McDonalds is that that HGs seemed to prefer McDs. It's true that they may not have liked not having exclusive rights, but obviously the show got them to agree to each have a week to be the food suppliers, and take the response. The HGs ate the stuff, but it seemed they were more enthusiastic for Subway actually.

To the poster above, I like capitalism, thanks very much. It would be nice if we were more capitalist; the end result, ironically enough, would be a reduction in the amount of advertising needed to pay for a show, and more show.

As for Jack's McD commercial, it struck me as hilarious, very natural. It's the sort of thing I think I'd have done - make up a bit of a McD commercial, using all I remembered. Especially since Jack was really grateful for the non-PB&J meal. I think it would have been cheezy if they'd force Snotbert into doing it on his turn. It seemed like Jack did it of his own volition; whether he did or not I don't know.

SkyRaider 1301 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-01-03, 06:37 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Product placement"
"Does anyone else feel insulted by the over-the-top McDonald's product placement on Wed?"

I certainly did! to think that the American public would fall for such an overtly pandering commercial such as that.

Until I found myself talking into a machine ordering two of those a $1 McChicken Sandwiches and two for a $1 McApple pies.

Were they good? Well, they were filling and where can you get filled up these days for $2.00? Certainly not at a gas station. And McD's does provide a LOT of gas for some reason.

Now, on to the next Season of Survivor, so that I can run to Target and buy one of everything there, since Survivor has been sponsored partly by Target and had product placement ads on each and every show ever filmed, mostly with big crates with that stupid - but unforgetabble "target" on them.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •