The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Can someone PLEASE explain to me what it is that Ian is doing so wrong??"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Dancing with the Stars Forum (Protected)
Original message

mistyrose52 795 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

04-24-07, 10:16 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Can someone PLEASE explain to me what it is that Ian is doing so wrong??"
I am obviously not a ballroom dancer-never even BEEN on a ballroom floor.

But week after week, we see Ian struggle to gain a foothold, work his buns off, to be cut down yet another time by those judges.

I just don't get it! I know they are pro's, but I'm starting to feel like they either really really like him and want him to win, or just don't care for him, and can't handle giving the guy even ONE good comment!!

I hate it-he goes out and pours his soul out on that dance floor, and you can see him so totally inflated when those judges start in on him. Yet, Cheryl, whom we all know is a perfectionist from the last two seasons, seems perfectly content with the scores that they are getting.

I just don't understand. Evidentally he just doesn't have the talent, and she knows that he's giving it all he can, but will never be any better??? For once, I'd just LOVE to see him throw himself a 10 and surprise the daylights out of those judges.

What would it take for him to do that??? I really want to know-I'm voting for him, so he can stay in long enough to have that chance!!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to m... Sagebrush Dan 04-24-07 1
   RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to m... LisaPles 04-24-07 2
       RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to m... Snidget 04-24-07 4
           RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to m... shaneperry 04-26-07 12
 RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to m... Magnolia_Rocker 04-24-07 3
 RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to m... miss_ganda 04-26-07 5
   RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to m... Sagebrush Dan 04-26-07 6
       RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to m... Juliejo 04-26-07 7
           RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to m... Magnolia_Rocker 04-26-07 8
           RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to m... Snidget 04-26-07 9
               RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to m... tac_2 04-26-07 10
               RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to m... udg 04-26-07 11
                   RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to m... qwertypie 04-26-07 13
                   RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to m... Loree 04-27-07 14
                   RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to m... mistyrose52 04-27-07 15
                       RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to m... Bravegirl 04-27-07 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Sagebrush Dan 10002 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-24-07, 11:10 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to me what it is that Ian is doing so wrong??"
I am rooting for him, too, but I can see what the judges are saying. He has the moves and everything down, but he comes across as trying too hard. Like last night, you could tell he was "acting" fierce instead of "being" fierce. Whereas you compare him with Ohno, Ohno too has the moves but adds the pizazz. So does Ali, in spite of her flubs. They let go on the dance floor and it seems like their personality is all there along with the moves. I've yet to see Ian's personality. I hope he does it cuz I really like him.

That said, there was one three or four weeks ago where I thought Ian really did cut loose and throw himself into it, but they were still hard on him.

Aw shucks, it's a Tribe

What if imagination and art are not frosting at all, but the fountainhead of human experience?
—Rollo May

LisaPles 740 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-24-07, 12:42 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to me what it is that Ian is doing so wrong??"
These judges really get on my nerves because it seems pretty obvious that they have their favorites and it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the dancing.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

04-24-07, 12:49 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to me what it is that Ian is doing so wrong??"
True.

There is also which thing you prefer to watch.

A technically brilliant performance (of any kind) or one that has a lot of passion but is not perfect.

For me Ian gets the steps down, I get he works really hard, but he's stuck inside himself inside the dance for me. I don't get the connection with the partner or with the audience that I feel (your mileage may vary) from some of the other people.

For a professional ballroom competition (or any other similar thing) I really want to see technical brilliance and if they can add some pizzaz that is gravy.

For an entertainment show when the people weren't selected because they are pros, technique and techniqe alone (no matter how obvious it is that they worked their butts off to get it right) just leaves me a bit cold. Again, your mileage may vary.

It's a tribe creation!

shaneperry 45 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-26-07, 03:16 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to me what it is that Ian is doing so wrong??"
ian just cant dance...and he is very stiff an boring...

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

04-24-07, 12:43 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to me what it is that Ian is doing so wrong??"
I agree with the judges. I'm not an Ian fan either. Dude needs to loosen up cause its killing his routines.

A Tribe Original!

miss_ganda 457 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-26-07, 00:56 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to me what it is that Ian is doing so wrong??"
It's really a combination between any of a number of things, foremost of which are:

1. The judges holding Ian to a much higher standard due to his professional dancing lessons taken as a child

2. judges still holding him to a much much higher standard due to being paired w/supposedly the best of all the professional dancers as attested to by her back-to-back DWTS wins and other professional dance competition championships under her belt, not to mention her extraordinary choreography.

3. Ian's movements/facial expressions belie the fact the he is hell-bent on winning more than expressing true interpretation and enjoyment of the dance.

4. The judges believe things ought to be much easier for Ian given his dancing background including a professional dancer for a mother. Anton Ohno had to make huge strides by undertaking something that's totally different from his world.

5. Len is losing his marbles.

Sagebrush Dan 10002 desperate attention whore postings

04-26-07, 01:19 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to me what it is that Ian is doing so wrong??"
3. Ian's movements/facial expressions belie the fact the he is hell-bent on winning more than expressing true interpretation and enjoyment of the dance.

5. Len is losing his marbles.

Can't figure out which of those two statements I agree with more.

What if imagination and art are not frosting at all, but the fountainhead of human experience?
—Rollo May

Juliejo 477 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-26-07, 09:52 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to me what it is that Ian is doing so wrong??"
It boils down to one thing Cheryl Burke is not going to win a thid time so Ian is going to be made to look bad no matter what he does.
I think it is cut and dryed and Ian is not supposed to win. He is dancing his heart out and dancing as well if not better than the other top three dancers.
I have been very disappointed in this seasons line up because of the Judges. I want Ian to win. I am a fan and think he is being judged unfairly. It deosnt matter if he had lessons as a child (so did Stacey Keebler and she could do no worng). It is rigged and Ian and Cheryl are not supposed to win. So no matter how hard Ian works at it he will not get good reports from the JUDGES. The JUDGES do influcne the voters as well.
A disappointed fan of DWTS.

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

04-26-07, 10:45 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to me what it is that Ian is doing so wrong??"
Take a moment to read comments by a few posters here. Ian is not liked by some of us, myself definitely included. The judges haven't influenced my like or dislike of anyone. He isn't doing as well as some contestants in my eyes and apparently in the eyes of others. If he doesn't win its because of this fact. IMO, Joey, Laila and Anton all dance better than he does and I truly hope lasts longer than him.

Snidget Mommyfied me!

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

04-26-07, 11:06 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to me what it is that Ian is doing so wrong??"
LAST EDITED ON 04-26-07 AT 11:09 AM (EST)

I disagree with they don't want a Cheryl Three-peat.

After all I think she has as many fans as some of the Stars after winning the last two.

They gave her a partner that on paper before the show started should be likely to be in the finals. If they really wanted to screw Cheryl out of a three-peat they would have put her with one of the obvious non-dancers in the group.

A potential Cheryl three-peat would be a huge ratings draw for the finale, IMO. They might need to have her retire for a couple of seasons after that, but Cheryl on top again would draw the ratings more than Cheryl being voted out early. After all it is all about the ratings, not about fair when it comes to these shows.

While I get you like Ian, and you think he is way better than everyone else, I don't think he is. This is not based on the judges scores, either. You will never get everyone to agree on anyone as the best. I think Anton, Joey and Laila have all at one time or another done better than Ian. Usually at least one of them has each week, for me. Ian's always been in the top three or four for me. He obviously has the potential and the drive to win. He just, for me, needs to relax a bit and add some joy and fun to his ability to get the steps right in order to wow me. As always, your mileage may vary.

It's a tribe creation!

ETA: And I don't think me or anyone else could explain why they think anyone else is better than Ian to you, just like while I understand you think he is the best, I don't see anyone being able to say something that would change my mind from thinking Apolo is the best with Joey, Ian, and Laila close on his heels. Now if Ian does great and the rest screw up for the next several weeks, then my rankings will change.

tac_2 351 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-26-07, 12:11 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to me what it is that Ian is doing so wrong??"
I do admire how hard Ian works at getting the routines down and I'm almost starting to feel sorry him.
But Ian would be the last one I'd want to dance with out of all the male partners. Maybe that's what it comes down to for the judges, too. Ian just doesn't look like a fun guy to be around, especially as a dancing partner.

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-26-07, 02:43 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to me what it is that Ian is doing so wrong??"
For me, it's not that I think he's better that Apollo or Laila or whomever. It's simply that the judges comments seem to be disproportionately harsh, and they're that way week after week after week. With no due credit for the improvements he *has* made. I don't think they were as consistently, relentlessly harsh on Master P as they are on Ian, and that just doesn't seem right.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings

04-26-07, 05:50 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to me what it is that Ian is doing so wrong??"
True dat!

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-07, 09:24 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to me what it is that Ian is doing so wrong??"
Yes, there seems to be a harshness to the way they talk to Ian. It always surprises me. And it does puzzle me. He isn't the worst but they seem to be angry at him when he doesn't do well. Maybe they expect more of him. But a little encouragement now and then may work better than just dissing him all the time.

mistyrose52 795 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

04-27-07, 09:44 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to me what it is that Ian is doing so wrong??"
>For me, it's not that I
>think he's better that Apollo
>or Laila or whomever. It's
>simply that the judges comments
>seem to be disproportionately harsh,
>and they're that way week
>after week after week. With
>no due credit for the
>improvements he *has* made. I
>don't think they were as
>consistently, relentlessly harsh on Master
>P as they are on
>Ian, and that just doesn't
>seem right.
>

THAT is exactly what I'm saying!! He is NOT really my favorite-Apollo is my favorite by a landslide!!
I just feel so bad for him when he comes out and pours his heart in to the dance-and you can feel it through your television! And then he gets a lousy 7 or 8, where some of the others, who weren't any better, get raves (come on, Billy Ray?? as an EXAMPLE??? WTH??)! And then some of THEM-Hello! Heather Mills-even get higher scores!

I feel it's totally wrong and unfair and soul-pounding what they are doing to him! Of course, he chose to be there, to stay there, etc. And he's a big guy and can take it, but it really burns me up!! THAT is what I am saying. Thank you to those of you who helped me say that!!!!

Bravegirl 113 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-27-07, 08:31 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Can someone PLEASE explain to me what it is that Ian is doing so wrong??"
I feel the same way. While I don't believe that Ian is the best dancer on the show, I think that he has made regular improvement. Everyone can see how hard he is trying! I believe that one of the biggest problems is the judges comments. They are so harst with him that poor Ian is a nervous wreck. If they would just give him some little bit of praise, he might relax and gain some confidence!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •