The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Cigarettes?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Locked thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Hell's Kitchen Forum (Protected)
Original message

andrewb 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-11-07, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail andrewb Click to send private message to andrewb Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Cigarettes?"
Holy crap! Does every contestant on the show smoke? How can they taste what they're cooking?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Cigarettes? oasisfan1994 08-11-07 1
   RE: Cigarettes? andrewb 08-12-07 2
       RE: Cigarettes? syren 08-13-07 3
           RE: Cigarettes? geg6 08-13-07 4
               RE: Cigarettes? jd8855 08-13-07 5
                   RE: Cigarettes? Snidget 08-13-07 6
                       RE: Cigarettes? YankeeDixieDoodle 06-25-08 8
                           RE: Cigarettes? mysticwolf 06-28-08 12
                               RE: Cigarettes? Snidget 06-30-08 15
                                   RE: Cigarettes? YankeeDixieDoodle 11-24-08 17
                               RE: Cigarettes? YankeeDixieDoodle 11-21-08 16
   RE: Cigarettes? longboader77 06-30-08 14
 RE: Cigarettes? starshyn99 08-14-07 7
   RE: Cigarettes? LostAddict 06-25-08 10
       RE: Cigarettes? mysticwolf 06-28-08 13
 RE: Cigarettes? YankeeDixieDoodle 06-25-08 9
   RE: Cigarettes? mindy23 06-26-08 11
 Locking Bebo 11-24-08 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

oasisfan1994 410 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

08-11-07, 09:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail oasisfan1994 Click to send private message to oasisfan1994 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Cigarettes?"
as a smoker i would julst like to say that my food tastes just fine. i have no problems tasting anything.

andrewb 2 desperate attention whore postings

08-12-07, 12:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail andrewb Click to send private message to andrewb Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Cigarettes?"
But, I assume, you're not cooking professionally for others. Fact: Smoking deadens the taste buds.

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-13-07, 08:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Cigarettes?"
Fact: You will find very few non smokers in the whole restaurant industry.

What?

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

08-13-07, 11:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Cigarettes?"
Word. I, personally, have rarely met a chef, sous chef, or dining room manager who didn't smoke. And I worked in the restaurant business for over 12 years. And I have a sister who has made a career of it for the last 30.

"Let them call me rebel and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul by swearing allegiance to one whose character is that of a sottish, stupid, stubborn, worthless, brutish man. I conceive likewise a horrid idea in receiving mercy from a being, who at the last day shall be shrieking to the rocks and mountains to cover him, and fleeing with terror from the orphan, the widow, and the slain of America." Thomas Paine

jd8855 105 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-13-07, 02:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jd8855 Click to send private message to jd8855 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Cigarettes?"
I worked in restaurants for years and very rarely met a chef who didn't smoke. I don't know why it apparently does affect your taste and smell however, I smoke and I have a fine taste and smell or so I think.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

08-13-07, 02:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Cigarettes?"
While I think it does effect things some people start off with a more acute sense of smell/taste so how good it is while smoking is going to vary a lot. Most people I know who quit do report some changes in the senses of smell or taste, so I think it effects things. But not to where you can't cook. It isn't like it will make something taste like something else, more of how intense some of the flavors may be.

Now smokers usually can't smell the smoke on their clothes or taste it on their breath because they get enough of it for enough of the day that they become dead to it specifically. That happens with any strong scent you really can't get away from. It may effect some flavors, but not the full spectrum.

Cooling off with Agman!

YankeeDixieDoodle 442 desperate attention whore postings

06-25-08, 04:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail YankeeDixieDoodle Click to send private message to YankeeDixieDoodle Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Cigarettes?"
But, a non-smoker such as I can smell it! Some smokers come into a non-smoking environment reeking so badly it burns my throat.

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

06-28-08, 02:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Cigarettes?"
Maybe yes, maybe no. Perhaps it's a preconception of what you expect.

My sister isn't a smoker. She's evidently, according to her, sensitive to smoke scents on others. I say this only because she expressed extreme surprise at one point that, for whatever reason, I didn't "reek" of smoke smell to her - and, I'm a smoker. (Trust me. It's not "sisterly love" that might make her say that.)

The idea that you would reject food prepared by someone who was a smoker (cross-threading) amazes me. Enjoy your home cooking.

A smokeysmom
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." - Baba Dioum

Bigotry comes in many forms. We each choose our own. But, all of us are bigots in one way or another. It's just that some bigotry is more dangerous than others. Yours (generic) may not be the most dangerous, but don't mistake it for what it is.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

06-30-08, 07:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Cigarettes?"
LAST EDITED ON 06-30-08 AT 07:11 PM (EST)

I'm not sure why, but some smokers, even when they first come in from a smoke outside really do reek of smoke.

I've known when every one of my coworkers fell off the wagon and started smoking again, and normally they didn't tend to be the kind that had behaviors that concentrated as much smoke as possible on them (smoked outside, not in the car with the windows up, etc.).

A lot of people only smell really bad right after a cigarette, but some people either don't change their clothes, or smoke so much in the house that they reek almost all the time. (anytime I'm around wood smoke from a bonfire it takes days for the smell to get out, and I don't think cigarette smoke is that different)

Depending on how sensitive one is to certain odors I can see where someone might have to eat at home. I've gotten more sensitive to some smells as I get older and it isn't worth being that sick all the time. I really had to air the house out a lot after getting my kitchen island as the increase in indoor air pollution was driving me nuts. I still think I haven't gotten the house aired out enough, and with the pollen I'm not supposed to have the house open at all.

From the Who Knew Agman was psychic collection.

11-24-08, 12:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail YankeeDixieDoodle Click to send private message to YankeeDixieDoodle Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Cigarettes?"
Before he met me, my husband painted a house that used to belong to friends of his, for his girlfriend. And, he asked his friends where they did most of their smoking. They told him the living room and master bedroom. "Thought so," he told them. It took five coats of Kilz primer before the brown nicotine stains quit bleeding through. He only had to use one or two coats in the other rooms.

11-21-08, 05:45 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Cigarettes?"
Not only am I enjoying my home-cooking. I'm thriving on it! I started a healthy eating regimen, based on Dr Phil's weight loss principles six weeks ago and have lost 12 pounds! The first three weeks, I ate nothing but my own cooking. Now, once or twice a week, I'll eat at restaurants where I know the kitchen staff will grill, and steam, my food dry. Not only am I losing weight and feeling much better, I'm saving money! A four-ounce piece of sirloin, two fresh vegetables, and bottled water costs less than a burger, fries, and drink combo from a fast-food establishment.

longboader77 1 desperate attention whore postings

06-30-08, 06:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail longboader77 Click to send private message to longboader77 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Cigarettes?"
As someone who had smoked for almost 20 yrs yes your food does taste different after you quit smoking. Funny but true. In fact it tastes better.

starshyn99 174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-14-07, 09:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail starshyn99 Click to send private message to starshyn99 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Cigarettes?"
I agree that most people in the restaurant industry smoke. I started working in food service at 13, and started smoking at 14. I think it comes down to a simple reason - restaurants are hot, fast paced and hellish jobs and if you want a break, "hey, I'm gonna go sit on my butt for 10 minutes" doesn't cut it, but "hey, I'm gonna take a smoke break" does.

LostAddict 420 desperate attention whore postings

06-25-08, 05:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LostAddict Click to send private message to LostAddict Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Cigarettes?"
I had this same discussion with my husband last night. I too worked in the restaurant business and those who didn't smoke were few and far between. starshyn99 you said the same thing I said to my husband last night. You can't say, I'm going to take a break and do nothing for 5 or 10 minutes, but you can say, "hey i'm going to go smoke" and that does cut it. I knew a few non-smokers who would take "smoke breaks" with the smokers, just to get a break.

Surfkitten summer sigshop

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

06-28-08, 02:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Cigarettes?"
Not just in the restaurant business. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. For the year-and-a-half that I quit I couldn't rationalize taking a real break.

Worst part was that by not taking any break I didn't have a real link into what the actual workers in the plant were dealing with. I was out of their loop.

As a manager peeps weren't going to approach me with their problems. As a smoker I was "one of them" and I heard it all. I can't count how many issues I was able to head off for the company because I knew what was on their minds. And, I got a reputation for management - or, at least me, as being trustworthy - that was good, also.

Rumors abound in any company. Some are right on, some are carp. As management there are some things you can talk about, some that you can't. As "one of 'them'", I could derail the carp while also refusing to discuss anything of substance that wasn't supposed to be discussed. They respected my position and didn't push.

I can easily see how restaurant + stress + smoking can = better working relationships.

A smokeysmom
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." - Baba Dioum

06-25-08, 04:43 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Cigarettes?"
It seems that every time the contestants are outside the kitchen, they're smoking. And, it does affect the palate. An aunt who quit, said that smoking made everything taste so bad, she only ate to live. Then, after quitting, everything tasted so good,she lived to eat. Personally, I don't want my food prepared by anyone who smokes. It's nasty.

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

06-26-08, 10:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Cigarettes?"
I was wondering the same thing when I saw Christina and Petrozza outside smoking. I actually don't remember seeing either of them doing that before, but maybe I just blinked and missed it. But I wondered if most chefs smoke? And the same: how do they get such amazing palates, if they are! I know in the health care industry, most nurses smoke, and how stupid is that??

I used to hate it that when the nurses who smoked went on brake, they'd be standing outside at the patient's entrance, where the asthmatics, and people with oxygen tanks were walking in. And I'd think, 'wow, what a great witness to these people of how healthy we are, and how seriously we take our profession!'.

When I'd take my break? I'd walk in the fresh air, go to the library across the street, and check out a book, or shop! There really ARE other things to do in 15 minutes than grab a stinky, cancer stick! Those people are just stuck in a rut with no good excuse, IMHO!

Bebo 20880 desperate attention whore postings

11-24-08, 07:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "Locking"
Since this thread is being reopened five months after the last post for off-topic discussion. Folks, please remember that show forums are for discussing the show...and just because a show is in its off-season doesn't mean that it's appropriate to turn a show thread into an OT discussion.

Unlock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •