The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Still No Knockdowns"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Contender Forum (Protected)
Original message

FFantasyFX 1011 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-18-05, 11:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FFantasyFX Click to send private message to FFantasyFX Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Still No Knockdowns"
Currently watching the repeat of The Contender on CNBC. Excellent episode and great fight. I'm still somewhat shocked that we haven't had any knockdowns after eight matchups. I watched closely tonight and the referee clearly indicates that Jimmy's fall was ruled a slip rather than a knockdown.

I suppose that five round fights make it near impossible to score a KO. You simply can't wear your opponent down enough to leave them open to a knockdown. It will be interesting to see if they extend the amount of rounds as we progress to the quarter and semifinals. I would expect at the very least that the final fight would have an extended number of rounds.

So, the question remains - when will we see our first knockdown? Quarterfinals? Semifinals? The final fight? Never? Random speculation and comments welcome.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Still No Knockdowns JayT 04-19-05 1
   RE: Still No Knockdowns SheilaP 04-19-05 2
       RE: Still No Knockdowns FFantasyFX 04-19-05 5
 RE: Still No Knockdowns PagongRatEater 04-19-05 3
   RE: Still No Knockdowns FFantasyFX 04-19-05 4
       RE: Still No Knockdowns Throwback 04-19-05 6
   Slip PhoenixMons 04-19-05 7
 RE: Still No Knockdowns ladro 04-19-05 8
   RE: Still No Knockdowns VegasFightWriter 04-19-05 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

JayT 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-19-05, 12:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JayT Click to send private message to JayT Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Still No Knockdowns"
When do the repeats air??? I can't find the listings anywhere!

Thanks in advance!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

SheilaP 12 desperate attention whore postings

04-19-05, 12:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SheilaP Click to send private message to SheilaP Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Still No Knockdowns"
Monday nights at 8pm & 11pm on CNBC

04-19-05, 02:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FFantasyFX Click to send private message to FFantasyFX Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Still No Knockdowns"
They also air on Wednesdays at the same times and channel.

PagongRatEater 12973 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-19-05, 02:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Still No Knockdowns"
Unless my head is really fuzzy on this one, didn't Joey knock down Jimmy?

04-19-05, 02:55 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Still No Knockdowns"
"Currently watching the repeat of The Contender on CNBC. Excellent episode and great fight. I'm still somewhat shocked that we haven't had any knockdowns after eight matchups. I watched closely tonight and the referee clearly indicates that Jimmy's fall was ruled a slip rather than a knockdown. "

Burnett certainly edited the show to try and make people think that Joey knocked down Jimmy. The knockdown certainly wasn't helped by the lousy camera angle. But, if you watch the referee, he clearly makes the boxing signal to indicate a slip rather than a knockdown.

Some information on slips, taken from http://www.wbarecords.com/manual/once.htm:

3. Slip or No Knockdown

The Referee will extend both hands and arms in front of his body at waist level and criss-cross them 2-3 times. This hand signal should always be done concurrently with a loud command of "NO KNOCKDOWN!"

Mechanics for a slip

1. Command "No Knockdown!" and concurrently give the appropriate hand signal
2. Quickly check the boxer
3. Wipe the boxer's gloves
4. Have boxing resume immediately

Throwback 12 desperate attention whore postings

04-19-05, 05:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Throwback Click to send private message to Throwback Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Still No Knockdowns"
Hi guys,

Yes the referee Pat Russell clearly did rule that a slip. It looked like a real knock down to me, even though they are just showing clips form the fight that may not even be in chronological order.

KO's in 4 rounders are quite common. There is rarely such a thing as a 5 round fight but it is made for TV and perfect for this tournament setting to avoid the ever-present Draw, which abounds in a four rounder.

I'm just as shocked as you there have been no knockdowns or knockouts. I don't think there is a real good explanantion for that other than there are some good fighters in this thing.

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

04-19-05, 06:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Slip"
I haven't watched the entire fight on the 'net yet, but I definitely thought it was a slip when I was watching on Sunday night. The way Jimmy's foot came out from under him looked much more like losing his balance out from under him as a result of bad footing than as a result of him being dazed. I'll have to check out the whole fight, though.

Got blog?

ladro 1168 desperate attention whore postings

04-19-05, 09:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ladro Click to send private message to ladro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Still No Knockdowns"
I am probably wrong, but I thought someone posted that they were using heavier gloves (more padding) that would be typical for similar professional level fights at that weight class.

VegasFightWriter 218 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-19-05, 11:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VegasFightWriter Click to send private message to VegasFightWriter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Still No Knockdowns"
They're using 10 oz. Everlast gloves. Not especially padded, although most world title-level fighters would generally use 8 oz. gloves.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •