URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID85
Thread Number: 123
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Still No Knockdowns"

Posted by FFantasyFX on 04-18-05 at 11:43 PM
Currently watching the repeat of The Contender on CNBC. Excellent episode and great fight. I'm still somewhat shocked that we haven't had any knockdowns after eight matchups. I watched closely tonight and the referee clearly indicates that Jimmy's fall was ruled a slip rather than a knockdown.

I suppose that five round fights make it near impossible to score a KO. You simply can't wear your opponent down enough to leave them open to a knockdown. It will be interesting to see if they extend the amount of rounds as we progress to the quarter and semifinals. I would expect at the very least that the final fight would have an extended number of rounds.

So, the question remains - when will we see our first knockdown? Quarterfinals? Semifinals? The final fight? Never? Random speculation and comments welcome.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Still No Knockdowns"
Posted by JayT on 04-19-05 at 12:33 PM
When do the repeats air??? I can't find the listings anywhere!

Thanks in advance!

Posted by SheilaP on 04-19-05 at 12:51 PM
Monday nights at 8pm & 11pm on CNBC

Posted by FFantasyFX on 04-19-05 at 02:56 PM
They also air on Wednesdays at the same times and channel.

Posted by PagongRatEater on 04-19-05 at 02:15 PM
Unless my head is really fuzzy on this one, didn't Joey knock down Jimmy?

Posted by FFantasyFX on 04-19-05 at 02:55 PM
"Currently watching the repeat of The Contender on CNBC. Excellent episode and great fight. I'm still somewhat shocked that we haven't had any knockdowns after eight matchups. I watched closely tonight and the referee clearly indicates that Jimmy's fall was ruled a slip rather than a knockdown. "

Burnett certainly edited the show to try and make people think that Joey knocked down Jimmy. The knockdown certainly wasn't helped by the lousy camera angle. But, if you watch the referee, he clearly makes the boxing signal to indicate a slip rather than a knockdown.

Some information on slips, taken from http://www.wbarecords.com/manual/once.htm:

3. Slip or No Knockdown

The Referee will extend both hands and arms in front of his body at waist level and criss-cross them 2-3 times. This hand signal should always be done concurrently with a loud command of "NO KNOCKDOWN!"

Mechanics for a slip

1. Command "No Knockdown!" and concurrently give the appropriate hand signal
2. Quickly check the boxer
3. Wipe the boxer's gloves
4. Have boxing resume immediately

Posted by Throwback on 04-19-05 at 05:47 PM
Hi guys,

Yes the referee Pat Russell clearly did rule that a slip. It looked like a real knock down to me, even though they are just showing clips form the fight that may not even be in chronological order.

KO's in 4 rounders are quite common. There is rarely such a thing as a 5 round fight but it is made for TV and perfect for this tournament setting to avoid the ever-present Draw, which abounds in a four rounder.

I'm just as shocked as you there have been no knockdowns or knockouts. I don't think there is a real good explanantion for that other than there are some good fighters in this thing.

"Slip"
Posted by PhoenixMons on 04-19-05 at 06:34 PM
I haven't watched the entire fight on the 'net yet, but I definitely thought it was a slip when I was watching on Sunday night. The way Jimmy's foot came out from under him looked much more like losing his balance out from under him as a result of bad footing than as a result of him being dazed. I'll have to check out the whole fight, though.

Got blog?

Posted by ladro on 04-19-05 at 09:38 PM
I am probably wrong, but I thought someone posted that they were using heavier gloves (more padding) that would be typical for similar professional level fights at that weight class.

Posted by VegasFightWriter on 04-19-05 at 11:00 PM
They're using 10 oz. Everlast gloves. Not especially padded, although most world title-level fighters would generally use 8 oz. gloves.