The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol Individual Contestant and Judge Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-17-04, 12:37 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
We learned last night this woman is a professional musician. She has far more experience and stage presence than most of the others.

Now, she has been clearly tagged the winner by all three of the judges. This is worse than the Ruuuuben love fest last season. Their constant comparison of each contestant to the clearly superior LaToya was offensive and will sway voters.

If they love her this much, she should have been handed a contract after the first audition. Her presence is a detriment to the competition.

LaToya London does not belong on American Idol.

These reality show contestants need a reality check!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: LaToya London... let the backla... Mizz Eve 03-17-04 1
   RE: LaToya London... let the backla... IslandFever 03-17-04 16
 RE: LaToya London... let the backla... AMAI 03-17-04 2
   RE: LaToya London... let the backla... gorgoniol 03-18-04 19
 Disagree, of course... tig_ger 03-17-04 3
   RE: Disagree, of course... DoodleBug 03-17-04 9
 RE: LaToya London... let the backla... managerr 03-17-04 4
   RE: LaToya London... let the backla... Karennz 03-17-04 5
       RE: LaToya London... let the backla... IreneMcGee 03-17-04 6
           RE: LaToya London... let the backla... Cuauhtewatemoccajava 03-17-04 7
 RE: LaToya London... let the backla... Glow 03-17-04 8
 RE: LaToya London... let the backla... ejm92 03-17-04 10
   RE: LaToya London... let the backla... escapedude 03-17-04 11
 RE: LaToya London... let the backla... zeffy 03-17-04 12
 RE: LaToya London... let the backla... ejm92 03-17-04 13
   RE: LaToya London... let the backla... Karennz 03-17-04 14
       RE: LaToya London... let the backla... ejm92 03-17-04 15
           RE: LaToya London... let the backla... smiley 03-18-04 18
               RE: LaToya London... let the backla... ginger 03-18-04 21
 RE: LaToya London... let the backla... Risti 03-18-04 17
   RE: LaToya London... let the backla... managerr 03-18-04 20

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Mizz Eve 368 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-17-04, 12:50 PM (EST)
1. "RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
I noticed that Simon kept referring to Latoya. I figure that it will actually hurt her because voters will assume that she'll get votes and instead vote for other competitors.

IslandFever 205 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-17-04, 11:11 PM (EST)
16. "RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
LaToya is good but not one of my favorites. She is overrated like Ruben was last season. She has performance skills but so did Leah. I rate Fantasia, Diana, George, and Jasmine above LaToya. I would think that being married with older stepchildren will help her deal with the pressure. I don't know how the high school kids will do it although Diana and John seem pretty down to earth.

AMAI 1254 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

03-17-04, 01:07 PM (EST)
2. "RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
I disagree, Joisey. I think her self-assurance should be an asset, let the others get a sense of what one ought to be look. Maybe learn something. Anyway, that's what I'm hoping. There are a couple of other performers who have presence and really perform well.

I think it's not a slam-dunk for LaToya. Personally I prefer Diana anyway.

gorgoniol 69 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-18-04, 10:20 AM (EST)
19. "RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
I liked latoya initially because I thought she was very prim and proper and modest (vs the very loud Fantasia). Now, the true latoya came out. She was so overly self-confident last night I almost threw up. Bleh.

tig_ger 2098 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

03-17-04, 01:54 PM (EST)
3. "Disagree, of course..."
Although Latoya may have previously been paid for her music, I don't agree that this should disqualify her. She was not previously discovered by Hollywood and would probably not have had the opportunity to get a recording contract without this competition. She just doesn't fit the demographics.

I do agree that the constant comparision of the other contestents to Latoya was annoying, but I don't think it will sway voters in the way that the judges were hoping that it would. An apathetic audience and overenthusiastic judges put Ruben in the bottom three once last season, whereas Clay was never in the bottom three.

I also agree that she has already "earned" a recording contract; however, I don't think her presence is a detriment to the competition. Having Latoya in the competition will improve everyone's performances, and I just can't say that is a bad thing. I like it when the bar is set high.

Also think that certain professional athletes should be permitted to compete in the Olympics...but that's another post...

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-17-04, 05:13 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Disagree, of course..."
What Tigger said. Well done, Triplet!

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-17-04, 02:10 PM (EST)
4. "RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
I got more of the struggling artist/garage band type singer than I did with of professional/well-seasoned musician. It was already established after Kelly Clarkson won and then was found to have done previous work that it's to find undiscovered talent, not an amateur competition.

Imho, she will not win, partially because of this. She has nowhere to go but up, will undoubtedly give a mediocre performance one week and get booted. Meanwhile, someone will gain momentum and pass her.

Karennz 112 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-17-04, 02:38 PM (EST)
5. "RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
Does nobody remember that Ruben has/had his own band -- with regular gigs -- BEFORE he auditioned for American Idol?

LaToya is remarkably talented. She deserves to win. I voted for her last night and will continue to do so, until the competition is over.

IreneMcGee 166 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-04, 02:42 PM (EST)
6. "RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
It's not just LaToya. Jennifer Hudson is a professional cruise singer as well.

I predict neither of them will win, nor will Fantasia. Those three are just big voices with good ranges, but they've embedded themselves into a style so harshly that they don't seemt o be able to come down off that big perch of runs and belts.

Jasmine is more versatile from what we saw last night. She was quietly brilliant, and refreshing.

Cuauhtewatemoccajava 133 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-04, 03:34 PM (EST)
7. "RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
It's not LaToya's fault Simon kept comparing her.

And frankly, she's awesome enough to deserve the praise IMO.

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-04, 03:40 PM (EST)
8. "RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
Latoya is a fabulous singer. She will go far in the competition. My hope is that everybody will realize that she will get a contract out of this even if she doesn't "win". I'd like to see somebody else "win".

an incredible JSlice creation

ejm92 2221 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-04, 05:43 PM (EST)
10. "RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
Personally, I'm not a big Latoya fan....she seems like a nice woman, she can sing well, but her confidence is a little on the annoying side to me....and the judges praise her just a bit too much, which I think will eventually cause a backlash by the fans. Latoya is a big overrated, in my opinion, and her confidence is a little too "I'm better than you"-ish....personally I think Fantasia is a little more on the fun side, and Diana as well....Latoya just seems too "grown-up" in this crowd of kids....and it won't work to her advantage. I know that Matt, Amy, JPL, and Jennifer are also some of the older contestants, but they are more easygoing and personable than Latoya seems to be.

Survivor All-Stars: Let's Go Big Tom!

escapedude 250 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-17-04, 09:18 PM (EST)
11. "RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
Ive never even heard of Latoya until last night..

Shes a ringer and its not fair to the others..

zeffy 25 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-17-04, 09:52 PM (EST)
12. "RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
You also have to remember Kurt Nilsen (the Norweigin and "World" Idol) was a lead singer for a band which already had a CD out when he was on Idol in Norway.

If LaToya got barred from American Idol for being a professional singer before, all she has to do is point out to the 536463576 examples of idol contestents who have also had band/professional singing experience.

It would of been so much easier to get rid of her if Simon Cowell didn't changed the voting system in Pop Idol (instead of voting dfor your favourite; you voted who you wanted off instead. > ).

03-17-04, 10:01 PM (EST)
13. "RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
YES! Simon rewatched the tape and was disappointed with her....I knew something was wrong by the way they were praising her mediocre performance.

Karennz 112 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-04, 10:06 PM (EST)
14. "RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
Simon didn't say her performance was mediocre. He said it was different than watching it live in the studio. He also said the same thing about two or three of the other contestants.

03-17-04, 10:10 PM (EST)
15. "RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
(Not trying to argue because you're a Latoya fan and I'm not and we probably won't get anywhere by it)...Simon said he watched the tape back and John/Latoya sounded different and he was disappointed.....I didn't mean to imply that Simon said it was mediocre, that was my feeling.

smiley 2009 desperate attention whore postings

03-18-04, 07:40 AM (EST)
18. "RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
I was surprised by Simon's comment too last night. I thought you sounded really good...not great but good. I like Latoya but I don't think the American Idol spotlight is for her.

*Proud Member of the RR/RW Old Fart Club*

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

03-18-04, 11:49 AM (EST)
21. "RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
I was relieved he recanted his rave reviews after looking at the tape. I didn't think she was all that and a bag of chips and yet I have always, always agreed with Simon. The very underpinnings of my world were rocked by his enthusiasm for her Tuesday night. Now, the universe makes sense again.

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

Risti 190 desperate attention whore postings

03-18-04, 03:44 AM (EST)
17. "RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
I loved Latoya in the Top 32, but I felt her performance was a bit weak last night. That said, I'm hoping she rallies back from that. She's definately up in my top bunch that I'm rooting for.

Oh, and honestly, it's the older contestants who *haven't* been doing music as a pretty serious side career/hobby who I look askance at. If you're serious about your music at that age, you're doing something about it. You think people get that good by singing along with the radio in the car?

*listens to her burnt cd of Clay songs recorded pre-AI*

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-18-04, 10:28 AM (EST)
20. "RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
Exactly. You need to work on your craft. Ryan said that several of the teenagers that made the Top 12 this year actually brought their own vocal coaches to stay with them. That's pretty serious to me. I'm glad that everyone is taking the competition so seriously.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •