URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID69
Thread Number: 128
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"LaToya London... let the backlash begin"

Posted by TeamJoisey on 03-17-04 at 12:37 PM
We learned last night this woman is a professional musician. She has far more experience and stage presence than most of the others.

Now, she has been clearly tagged the winner by all three of the judges. This is worse than the Ruuuuben love fest last season. Their constant comparison of each contestant to the clearly superior LaToya was offensive and will sway voters.

If they love her this much, she should have been handed a contract after the first audition. Her presence is a detriment to the competition.

LaToya London does not belong on American Idol.

These reality show contestants need a reality check!

Table of contents
  • RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin,Mizz Eve, 12:50 PM, 03-17-04
    • RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin,IslandFever, 11:11 PM, 03-17-04
  • RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin,AMAI, 01:07 PM, 03-17-04
    • RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin,gorgoniol, 10:20 AM, 03-18-04
  • Disagree, of course...,tig_ger, 01:54 PM, 03-17-04
    • RE: Disagree, of course...,DoodleBug, 05:13 PM, 03-17-04
  • RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin,managerr, 02:10 PM, 03-17-04
    • RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin,Karennz, 02:38 PM, 03-17-04
      • RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin,IreneMcGee, 02:42 PM, 03-17-04
        • RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin,Cuauhtewatemoccajava, 03:34 PM, 03-17-04
  • RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin,Glow, 03:40 PM, 03-17-04
  • RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin,ejm92, 05:43 PM, 03-17-04
    • RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin,escapedude, 09:18 PM, 03-17-04
  • RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin,zeffy, 09:52 PM, 03-17-04
  • RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin,ejm92, 10:01 PM, 03-17-04
    • RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin,Karennz, 10:06 PM, 03-17-04
      • RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin,ejm92, 10:10 PM, 03-17-04
        • RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin,smiley, 07:40 AM, 03-18-04
          • RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin,ginger, 11:49 AM, 03-18-04
  • RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin,Risti, 03:44 AM, 03-18-04
    • RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin,managerr, 10:28 AM, 03-18-04

Messages in this discussion
"RE: LaToya London... let the backlash begin"
Posted by Mizz Eve on 03-17-04 at 12:50 PM
I noticed that Simon kept referring to Latoya. I figure that it will actually hurt her because voters will assume that she'll get votes and instead vote for other competitors.

Posted by IslandFever on 03-17-04 at 11:11 PM
LaToya is good but not one of my favorites. She is overrated like Ruben was last season. She has performance skills but so did Leah. I rate Fantasia, Diana, George, and Jasmine above LaToya. I would think that being married with older stepchildren will help her deal with the pressure. I don't know how the high school kids will do it although Diana and John seem pretty down to earth.

Posted by AMAI on 03-17-04 at 01:07 PM
I disagree, Joisey. I think her self-assurance should be an asset, let the others get a sense of what one ought to be look. Maybe learn something. Anyway, that's what I'm hoping. There are a couple of other performers who have presence and really perform well.

I think it's not a slam-dunk for LaToya. Personally I prefer Diana anyway.

Posted by gorgoniol on 03-18-04 at 10:20 AM
I liked latoya initially because I thought she was very prim and proper and modest (vs the very loud Fantasia). Now, the true latoya came out. She was so overly self-confident last night I almost threw up. Bleh.

"Disagree, of course..."
Posted by tig_ger on 03-17-04 at 01:54 PM
Although Latoya may have previously been paid for her music, I don't agree that this should disqualify her. She was not previously discovered by Hollywood and would probably not have had the opportunity to get a recording contract without this competition. She just doesn't fit the demographics.

I do agree that the constant comparision of the other contestents to Latoya was annoying, but I don't think it will sway voters in the way that the judges were hoping that it would. An apathetic audience and overenthusiastic judges put Ruben in the bottom three once last season, whereas Clay was never in the bottom three.

I also agree that she has already "earned" a recording contract; however, I don't think her presence is a detriment to the competition. Having Latoya in the competition will improve everyone's performances, and I just can't say that is a bad thing. I like it when the bar is set high.

Also think that certain professional athletes should be permitted to compete in the Olympics...but that's another post...

"RE: Disagree, of course..."
Posted by DoodleBug on 03-17-04 at 05:13 PM
What Tigger said. Well done, Triplet!

Posted by managerr on 03-17-04 at 02:10 PM
I got more of the struggling artist/garage band type singer than I did with of professional/well-seasoned musician. It was already established after Kelly Clarkson won and then was found to have done previous work that it's to find undiscovered talent, not an amateur competition.

Imho, she will not win, partially because of this. She has nowhere to go but up, will undoubtedly give a mediocre performance one week and get booted. Meanwhile, someone will gain momentum and pass her.

Posted by Karennz on 03-17-04 at 02:38 PM
Does nobody remember that Ruben has/had his own band -- with regular gigs -- BEFORE he auditioned for American Idol?

LaToya is remarkably talented. She deserves to win. I voted for her last night and will continue to do so, until the competition is over.

Posted by IreneMcGee on 03-17-04 at 02:42 PM
It's not just LaToya. Jennifer Hudson is a professional cruise singer as well.

I predict neither of them will win, nor will Fantasia. Those three are just big voices with good ranges, but they've embedded themselves into a style so harshly that they don't seemt o be able to come down off that big perch of runs and belts.

Jasmine is more versatile from what we saw last night. She was quietly brilliant, and refreshing.

Posted by Cuauhtewatemoccajava on 03-17-04 at 03:34 PM
It's not LaToya's fault Simon kept comparing her.

And frankly, she's awesome enough to deserve the praise IMO.

Posted by Glow on 03-17-04 at 03:40 PM
Latoya is a fabulous singer. She will go far in the competition. My hope is that everybody will realize that she will get a contract out of this even if she doesn't "win". I'd like to see somebody else "win".

an incredible JSlice creation

Posted by ejm92 on 03-17-04 at 05:43 PM
Personally, I'm not a big Latoya fan....she seems like a nice woman, she can sing well, but her confidence is a little on the annoying side to me....and the judges praise her just a bit too much, which I think will eventually cause a backlash by the fans. Latoya is a big overrated, in my opinion, and her confidence is a little too "I'm better than you"-ish....personally I think Fantasia is a little more on the fun side, and Diana as well....Latoya just seems too "grown-up" in this crowd of kids....and it won't work to her advantage. I know that Matt, Amy, JPL, and Jennifer are also some of the older contestants, but they are more easygoing and personable than Latoya seems to be.

Survivor All-Stars: Let's Go Big Tom!

Posted by escapedude on 03-17-04 at 09:18 PM
Ive never even heard of Latoya until last night..

Shes a ringer and its not fair to the others..

Posted by zeffy on 03-17-04 at 09:52 PM
You also have to remember Kurt Nilsen (the Norweigin and "World" Idol) was a lead singer for a band which already had a CD out when he was on Idol in Norway.

If LaToya got barred from American Idol for being a professional singer before, all she has to do is point out to the 536463576 examples of idol contestents who have also had band/professional singing experience.

It would of been so much easier to get rid of her if Simon Cowell didn't changed the voting system in Pop Idol (instead of voting dfor your favourite; you voted who you wanted off instead. > ).

Posted by ejm92 on 03-17-04 at 10:01 PM
YES! Simon rewatched the tape and was disappointed with her....I knew something was wrong by the way they were praising her mediocre performance.

Posted by Karennz on 03-17-04 at 10:06 PM
Simon didn't say her performance was mediocre. He said it was different than watching it live in the studio. He also said the same thing about two or three of the other contestants.

Posted by ejm92 on 03-17-04 at 10:10 PM
(Not trying to argue because you're a Latoya fan and I'm not and we probably won't get anywhere by it)...Simon said he watched the tape back and John/Latoya sounded different and he was disappointed.....I didn't mean to imply that Simon said it was mediocre, that was my feeling.

Posted by smiley on 03-18-04 at 07:40 AM
I was surprised by Simon's comment too last night. I thought you sounded really good...not great but good. I like Latoya but I don't think the American Idol spotlight is for her.

*Proud Member of the RR/RW Old Fart Club*

Posted by ginger on 03-18-04 at 11:49 AM
I was relieved he recanted his rave reviews after looking at the tape. I didn't think she was all that and a bag of chips and yet I have always, always agreed with Simon. The very underpinnings of my world were rocked by his enthusiasm for her Tuesday night. Now, the universe makes sense again.

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

Posted by Risti on 03-18-04 at 03:44 AM
I loved Latoya in the Top 32, but I felt her performance was a bit weak last night. That said, I'm hoping she rallies back from that. She's definately up in my top bunch that I'm rooting for.

Oh, and honestly, it's the older contestants who *haven't* been doing music as a pretty serious side career/hobby who I look askance at. If you're serious about your music at that age, you're doing something about it. You think people get that good by singing along with the radio in the car?

*listens to her burnt cd of Clay songs recorded pre-AI*

Posted by managerr on 03-18-04 at 10:28 AM
Exactly. You need to work on your craft. Ryan said that several of the teenagers that made the Top 12 this year actually brought their own vocal coaches to stay with them. That's pretty serious to me. I'm glad that everyone is taking the competition so seriously.