The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"I Heart Boobies"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

kingfish 19861 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-30-13, 08:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
"I Heart Boobies"
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/30/21245739-boobies-bracelet-battle-could-be-bound-for-supreme-court?lite

Another example.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: I Heart Boobies samboohoo 10-30-13 1
   RE: I Heart Boobies kingfish 10-30-13 2
       RE: I Heart Boobies samboohoo 10-30-13 4
           RE: I Heart Boobies adricharlie 10-31-13 8
               RE: I Heart Boobies Estee 11-01-13 9
                   RE: I Heart Boobies adricharlie 11-01-13 11
                       RE: I Heart Boobies bondt007 11-03-13 12
                           RE: I Heart Boobies Estee 11-03-13 13
                               RE: I Heart Boobies bondt007 11-04-13 18
                       RE: I Heart Boobies kingfish 11-04-13 14
                           RE: I Heart Boobies adricharlie 11-04-13 16
                               RE: I Heart Boobies foonermints 11-04-13 19
                                   RE: I Heart Boobies bondt007 11-05-13 20
                                       RE: I Heart Boobies kingfish 11-06-13 21
                                           RE: I Heart Boobies bondt007 11-06-13 22
                                               RE: I Heart Boobies kingfish 11-06-13 23
                                                   RE: I Heart Boobies bondt007 11-06-13 27
                                                       RE: I Heart Boobies kingfish 11-07-13 30
                                           RE: I Heart Boobies newsomewayne 11-06-13 24
                                               RE: I Heart Boobies kingfish 11-06-13 25
                                                   RE: I Heart Boobies newsomewayne 11-06-13 26
                                                       I never got a crapbasket. foonermints 11-06-13 28
                                                           RE: I never got a crapbasket. kingfish 11-07-13 31
                                                       RE: I Heart Boobies kingfish 11-07-13 29
                                                           RE: I Heart Boobies newsomewayne 11-07-13 32
                                                               RE: I Heart Boobies kingfish 11-07-13 33
                                                                   Advice taken... newsomewayne 11-07-13 34
                                                                       RE: Advice taken... kingfish 11-07-13 35
                                                                           RE: Advice taken... newsomewayne 11-07-13 36
                                                                               RE: Advice taken... kingfish 11-08-13 37
                                                                                   RE: Advice taken... bondt007 11-09-13 38
                                                                                       RE: Advice taken... kingfish 11-09-13 39
                                                                                           RE: Advice taken... bondt007 11-09-13 40
                                                                                               RE: Advice taken... kingfish 11-10-13 41
                                                                                                   RE: Advice taken... foonermints 11-10-13 42
                                                                                                       RE: Advice taken... Estee 11-11-13 43
                                                                                                           Cool.. foonermints 11-11-13 45
                                                                                                               RE: Cool.. Estee 11-11-13 46
                                                                                                                   Rats. foonermints 11-11-13 48
                                                                                                   RE: Advice taken... newsomewayne 11-11-13 44
                                                                                                       RE: Advice taken... kingfish 11-11-13 49
                                                                                                           RE: Advice taken... newsomewayne 11-12-13 53
                                                                                                               RE: Advice taken... kingfish 11-12-13 54
                                                                                                   RE: Advice taken... bondt007 11-11-13 47
                                                                                                       RE: Advice taken... kingfish 11-11-13 50
                                                                                                           OK bondt007 11-11-13 51
                                                                                                               RE: OK kingfish 11-12-13 52
       RE: I Heart Boobies greenmachine 05-01-17 56
   RE: I Heart Boobies Estee 10-30-13 5
       RE: I Heart Boobies samboohoo 10-30-13 6
           RE: I Heart Boobies Estee 10-30-13 7
 RE: I Heart Boobies Estee 10-30-13 3
   RE: I Heart Boobies AyaK 11-04-13 15
       RE: I Heart Boobies Estee 11-04-13 17
 RE: I Heart Boobies kingfish 11-01-13 10
 RE: I Heart Boobies greenmachine 04-19-17 55
   *Bump* foonermints 08-18-17 57
       RE: *Bump* kingfish 08-18-17 58
 RE: I Heart Boobies foonermints 08-22-17 59
 RE: I Heart Boobies foonermints 08-29-17 60
   RE: I Heart Boobies foonermints 09-03-17 61
 Good night, Alene. kingfish 09-15-17 62

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

10-30-13, 09:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
LAST EDITED ON 10-30-13 AT 09:01 AM (EST)

While I am certainly all about awareness, I think that particular bracelet was inappropriate for school. There are many other ways to support the cause and raise awareness.

When I sat my son down to tell him I have breast cancer, I included pink socks and shoe laces for him to wear for the rest of the baseball season. It was part of a trend that I had seen on the football side of little league, and it is something that has grown in baseball and softball. His best friend on the team joined him with pink socks, and he also made me a pink bracelet with his loom (Conner's friend did). It was so sweet.

I get the "boobies" mantra, but I think it's more appropriate in an adult world.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

10-30-13, 09:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
You know I love you darlin, and am on your side with all you are going thru. I also respect the fact that you have tons more experience with handling school age kids.

But boobies as a reference to a woman's anatomy is just so mild and inoffensive. I hate the thought of limiting anybody’s vocabulary to PC anatomical terms. As far as I’m concerned, there are some terms that kids get a kick out of that may be borderline for some, but are really more on the fun side. Like boobies. And fart jokes. And elephant butts (a source of hilarity for a 9YO niece and myself, you should see the pictures).

Plus, there is the need for variety in one’s vocabulary, especially that of a person in their formative years. Forcing the use of approved terms (i.e. “breast”) all the time dulls creativity. IMO.

10-30-13, 11:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
I get the fun, and I'm not offended by the term, but I wouldn't have my 10 year-old fourth grader running around school talking about boobies. I can see that it raises awareness, but I think at that age, it would turn into more of a giggle-fest and a distraction.

When Conner was about 4 or 5, I remember walking through Target. We were going to get a birthday gift for a classmate. We walked past the bra section, and he grabbed one and said, "Why don't we just get her some new boobies." It was quite funny, and I recall wondering where he even learned the word.

Despite what some might think, I'm not a complete prude. I have fun! I have lots of fun! I think if the school deemed it a distraction and inappropriate, it should have ended there. They could have worn the bracelets wherever, just not in school. No need to challenge it. Then again, as the parent, I would have "nipped that right in the bud at home," and it wouldn't have been an issue in the first place. Pun intended.

adricharlie 1340 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

10-31-13, 10:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail adricharlie Click to send private message to adricharlie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
I agree with you completely. There is a time and place for everything. Just because we have the right to say whatever we want doesn't mean we should in all situations. I think it should be seen as an opportunity to teach the students that. I mean I admire the idea behind the bracelets but in living with two teenage boys I can certainly see why a school could see them as a possible distraction.

Courtesy of Tribe....

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

11-01-13, 04:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
So no one should ever do anything which would lead to teenage males being inappropriately amused.

Congratulations. You just banned the universe.

11-01-13, 01:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail adricharlie Click to send private message to adricharlie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
Ummm....that's actually not what I said....or meant to say anyways.

As I understand it a handful of school districts across the country have banned the bracelets and in my opinion they have the right to decide what may or may not cause too much of a distraction in their schools/district. As a student you follow the rules or you choose not too and suffer the consequences.

The school my kids go to the bracelets are allowed and I think that's fine (and my youngest son actually has one that he wears). If they become a problem the school will ban them and that's fine too.

Believe me, I know you can't ban something because teenage boys are inappropriately amused. I can barely complete a sentence anymore without one of my kids smirking because I apparently said something that could be taken the wrong way....seems to be a habit of mine. I think I'll go back to lurking now

Courtesy of Tribe....

bondt007 3413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-03-13, 12:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
adricharlie - don't let Estee scare you.

I have one of these (teen aged boys - 14 in fact), and she's pretty incorrect, and your pretty correct.

>Issued by "Q" and RollDdice

11-03-13, 07:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
LAST EDITED ON 11-03-13 AT 07:35 PM (EST)

And here I'd temporarily forgotten that part of the current GOP model is belated teenage male wish fulfillment. You can throw an 'arrested' in there somewhere if you like.

I feel that the only way to prevent the species from reacting is to remove anything they could possibly react to. In general, this means 'the universe'. In this specific case, it probably means mandatory double mastectomies for all females as they enter puberty. And making it retroactive for anyone past that point.

(Anyone wanna play 'Predict the state'? After that, we can have a round of 'Predict the death toll'.)

And Bondt, if you ever felt I was correct about anything, my first instinct would probably be either horror or filing it under the Anti-Advice trope and immediately going the other way...

11-04-13, 05:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
When my 14 year old plays baseball, and puts on a cup, he doesn't giggle (well...any more) (he's a catcher)
When my 14 year old has lunch with his special needs "Buddy" at school, he doesn't giggle.
When he works on his Algebra assignment, he doesn't giggle.
When he watches the Three Amigos, he giggles.
When, because we live near the City of Hope, he and I drive down the freeway and we see a billboard that says "Breast cAnswer", he doesn't giggle.
When he sees the t-shirt and the rubber wrist thing that says "I Heart Boobies", he giggles.

He asked me if he could get a t-shirt a month ago and I told him "no".

He asked me with that little grin...

Instead, City of Hope had a "walk" yesterday, and that's what we did as a family.
Instead he wore pink shoe laces for much of the last three baseball seasons.

So yeah, I see your argument as being pretty incorrect.

And I know for a fact we have agreed on at least 3 things over the past 10 years. {:0 )

11-04-13, 10:54 AM (EST)
14. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
Regardless of which side of the discussion you take, just quitting and going home when someone disagrees with you isn't (IMO) the best reaction.

We're all friends. Most of us. And this sometimes is and sometimes isn't a lovey dovey forum, but it is always democratic.

11-04-13, 02:47 PM (EST)
16. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
I apologize then but quite honestly I have read some of these threads and fear getting Estee going....

To be fair, mainly to me, I don't necessarily disagree with Estee. I was not really arguing for the ban, just the schools right to decide whether or not they believe it could be a problem....

Courtesy of Tribe....

foonermints 13916 desperate attention whore postings

11-04-13, 06:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
Don't evah get Estee "going".

Even the thought scares the beejeebies out of me, too.

Oh No!

11-05-13, 08:04 PM (EST)
20. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
Had another conversation at the dinner table last night with my 14 year old and DW. DW works at a middle school. I asked if they allow the I Heart Boobies stuff on campus and she said not really.

My 14 year old giggled.

I asked why. He said it's really not even linked to cancer awareness. It's just a joke. I asked what he meant. He said all the boys AND girls he knows think it’s just a boob joke that parents think is cute and helpful.

Yeah I know you’d get different answers from different kids, but as I suspected – that is why I would not at all be in favor of the “campaign”.

I know I might be beating a dead horse here…

11-06-13, 09:36 AM (EST)
21. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
LAST EDITED ON 11-06-13 AT 09:37 AM (EST)

It made your boy giggle.

It is a joke among kids.

And your boy did know that it was about cancer awareness. I mean if he could say "it's really not even linked to cancer awareness", then he was aware of the link, and that it's not just a joke.

Point out to me why any of those things make it something the school should banish.

Are we really advocating that level of grim Puritanism (no offense to Puritans)?

11-06-13, 02:57 PM (EST)
22. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
I did point out why this particular campaign is lost on kids. I’m am unsure why you don’t understand that, other than a choosing not to.

11-06-13, 03:49 PM (EST)
23. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
LAST EDITED ON 11-06-13 AT 03:53 PM (EST)

Well, as I said, you did quote (or paraphrase) your son as saying "it's really not even linked to cancer awareness." and saying that means he was aware of the link to cancer awareness.

Or did you chose not to see that?

And why does that matter anyway? Why would we deny our kids some harmless fun, even if they were unaware of the serious reason behind the bracelets?

11-06-13, 06:58 PM (EST)
27. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
Do you have kids? Have you given any examples of any conversations about this subject with teenagers? Have you done anything for the cause, besides wear a "harmless fun" Boobie shirt perhaps?

I wouldn't know, because I am the only one between us that has mentioned kids and conversations and actions and the reasoning.

You really think not passing out Boobie merchandise in schools advocates grim Puritanism?

Maybe it's just smart, for the record.

11-07-13, 10:12 AM (EST)
30. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
LAST EDITED ON 11-07-13 AT 10:41 AM (EST)

I do have a personal experience dossier on this. And a longer history along these lines than you, if I understand correctly.

I adore them, they adore me, but they are older and on their own now, and associated with a complicated and very personal story.

There are many situation coming up for you that I have fought, fretted, and rejoiced thru, including learning to drive, mucho teen angst, going to and thru college, post college maturation, and the very bright point of light that I hope you get to enjoy, grandkids (stopping to dab a tear - better now). Believe me, sharing good times and letting them enjoy this period of their lives is something you will not ever regret.

And yes, I do think that an attitude by school administrators that have silly bans on various things kids do that promote harmless hilarity, basically because they promote hilarity, as being grim puritanism. In gothic gray.

"We must prevent kids from having fun at all costs! Especially if they make jokes when they are supposed to be serious and, well, grim."
That could have been written by Charles Dickens.

newsomewayne 9351 desperate attention whore postings

11-06-13, 03:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
And your boy did know that it was about cancer awareness. I mean if he could say "it's really not even linked to cancer awareness", then he was aware of the link, and that it's not just a joke.

I think Bond's point was that amongst the middle school crowd, it's become nothing more than a joke. It's moved from "laughing with" to "laughing at".

I heart boobies has always been a joke. I.E., a funsy, cutesy way to get people talking about breast cancer. However, amongst bond jr.'s peers, it's just an excuse to say edgy words that make you laugh. To equate it with a younger set, say the word "underwear" in front of a kindergarten class. No context, just the word. It's hilarious to them. And all it does is cause a disruption.

11-06-13, 04:31 PM (EST)
25. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
I think Bond should make his own points.

But really, what's wrong with middle schoolers saying edgy words that make you laugh?

Some things are hilarious to kids of all ages. What's wrong with hilarity if it isn't denigrating or otherwise hurting anyone?

I still remember with great amusement and fondness a certain 9YO falling down (literally) with laughter over a fart joke that she made up.

11-06-13, 04:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
I think Bond should make his own points.

Is this your first day here? Do we need to get you a crap basket? I'll make any points I feel like making.

But really, what's wrong with middle schoolers saying edgy words that make you laugh?

Do you still beat your wife?

I've not the time nor inclination to delve into this event and sort out pros and cons. I just read the exchange and wanted to point out an area of disconnect.

11-06-13, 10:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "I never got a crapbasket."

11-07-13, 10:14 AM (EST)
31. "RE: I never got a crapbasket."
SS is listening.

He doesn’t care if you’ve been naughty or nice, just whether or not you like crap. In a basket.

11-07-13, 09:49 AM (EST)
29. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
It would be better for you to make your own points, not to attempt to read someone elses mind and tell us what they really meant. Obviously, you are free to do it your way, but if I were Bond, (and I'm not pretending to be, but if it were me) I would prefer that you would state your own opinions as your own without trying to ascribe them to me.

"Q - But really, what's wrong with middle schoolers saying edgy words that make you laugh?"

A - Do you still beat your wife?

(Wha??)

Your intent to resolve a disconnect is commendable. I hope you can understand how by doing so you can be taken for a buttinski by one or both parties.

11-07-13, 10:16 AM (EST)
32. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
My point is that IMO you were incorrectly reading bond's point. And if I'm wrong, bond is free to tell me so.

If you wanted a private conversation on this with bond, may I suggest you not hold one in a public forum. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to <butt out>. That's not the American way."

11-07-13, 10:39 AM (EST)
33. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
I get that. And I realize that this is a public forum. And I see that your intentions were civil and well meant. But even so, it isn't good form to presume to know what is in someone else's mind, or to know what someone else "really” means.

My advice, which I and the whole universe know you are free to ignore, is to state your opinions as your own, and don't try and state other's opinions for them.

Bond may not care, but as a personal favor, if you are tempted to interpret for me in the future (and I'm not accusing you of having done this here), please don't. And I’ll return the consideration.

11-07-13, 03:40 PM (EST)
34. "Advice taken..."
...before it was given.

My first words in this thread:I think

As for not speaking for you or defending your points or trying to help you out, don't worry, I won't. But it won't be because of consideration for you.

11-07-13, 06:02 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Advice taken..."
Defending? OK (and welcome).

Helping? Also OK (and also welcome).

Interpreting? I'd rather you didn't.

Snide final comments? Your perogative.

11-07-13, 08:38 PM (EST)
36. "RE: Advice taken..."
In other words, it's okay to comment if I agree with you.

It's not okay to comment if I agree with someone else.

That's the only difference here. Because it is impossible to not interpret. You, me, bond, anyone else, we read what someone else posts and judge what they mean from our pov. Sometimes we all get it wrong. Heck, getting it wrong has created some of the greatest threads on this board. And some of the worst.

And if I'm wrong in my interpretation, it is that poster who should tell me I'm wrong. Not the one who didn't like my interpretation because it didn't fall in line with his view.

Now, if you disagree with my view, fine. Tell me. And tell me why. But again, don't tell me I have no business giving my opinion.

11-08-13, 09:26 AM (EST)
37. "RE: Advice taken..."
You stating your opinion? OK

You telling me or anyone what my opinion is? Not kosher. It's just a common courtesy, but of course you are free to do as you wish.

11-09-13, 02:25 PM (EST)
38. "RE: Advice taken..."
I personally appreciate both of you. I had to cut out of this conversation due to some traveling for work until just now. I have not gone back to read anything other than one or two post's above this one.

Newsome is my hero because there is a desire to assume best intentions, and we see eye to eye on most issues. Maybe I don't articulate everything perfectly but guess what, neither do most on this message board (even though they may think they do). I'm glad Newsome is around again, and he CAN speak for me - or take a guess at my point - anytime. That's called "adding to a discussion".

People have messaged me to ask an opinion or clarify things. Although most of them are on the other side of the issue - which here on OT has been the case for the most part of 10 years - after those exchanges we often end up to be friends and respect each other.

I Heart Boobies is a campaign that is lost on most teenagers, devaluing the main issue. End of opinion.

11-09-13, 04:41 PM (EST)
39. "RE: Advice taken..."
LAST EDITED ON 11-09-13 AT 05:04 PM (EST)

I appreciate your reasonable response, and I appreciate you and Newsome also. But that still leaves two questions in my mind, one of logic and another of consideration for others.

So, (borrowing from Gruesome's book of acceptable conduct) what you are saying is that you don't know what you originally meant, or that Newsome can express your opinion better than you can yourself.

In that case, I think we do need him to tell us what you think. I stand corrected.

And because Boobies is lost on some teenagers and because for some the main issue is devalued, the school should ban awareness bracelets for all of them. We differ on this, but I agree, that's enough on that.

11-09-13, 07:31 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Advice taken..."

No - I know what I originally said and meant, AND, if Newsome wants to restate it, or defend it in any way, it's fine with me.

11-10-13, 01:52 PM (EST)
41. "RE: Advice taken..."
OK. Cool.

And Estee? You don't mind Estee telling us what you are "really trying to say", either, I presume? She's not likely to be defending it, though.

Very cool of you.

11-10-13, 06:24 PM (EST)
42. "RE: Advice taken..."
I'm bribing hiring The Estee Defense league the next time anyone calls me a "single helix cretin".

Handcrafted by RollDdice
*waves Kindle*

11-11-13, 07:14 AM (EST)
43. "RE: Advice taken..."
The Accounts Receivable department is still waiting on your penny.

11-11-13, 03:26 PM (EST)
45. "Cool.."
Where do I send this "penny"?
I'm keeping Secret Santa open just for you. It closes today!

Signed~ The loveable foonermints. Treasurer of the Golden Secrets.

OK, that thing'll fit in your anonymous drop box, won't it?

I'll have a man outside watching you anyway.

11-11-13, 03:56 PM (EST)
46. "RE: Cool.."
And that, kids, is why I didn't sign up this year.

I won't be participating. Go ahead and close the list.

11-11-13, 04:25 PM (EST)
48. "Rats."
LAST EDITED ON 11-11-13 AT 07:37 PM (EST)

Hope Springs Eternal.

11-11-13, 01:46 PM (EST)
44. "RE: Advice taken..."
As bond pointed out, all I was doing was "adding to a discussion." I read your discussion and where an appropriate place presented itself, posited my own view for review and discussion. The fact that my view was in regards to another poster's statement is irrelevant. I could just as easily have been (and have done so in the past) attempting to give my take on something said by a public figure.

I was clear that my view was my own. Also, unlike commenting on something said by a public figure, bond is in position to respond to my comment in any fashion he chooses - either accepting or rejecting my take. I never said, and don't ever say, this is how poster X believes and nothing you or poster X says can contradict this fact.

You don't mind Estee telling us what you are "really trying to say", Again, I gotta ask if you are new here. Estee has responded this way many times over. And that's not a shot at Estee. For one, we ALL do it. And B), It's a very valid way to say, "this is how I interpret your remarks. Tell me I'm wrong."

Honestly, though, I cannot for the life of me figure out why you are taking such umbrage to this, other than that I didn't agree with your stance. But if it is really just as simple as you perceiving my posts as speaking for bond as if I saw myself as the Mouth of Sauron or the Emporer's Hand, then I apologize for the misconception. But I am not attempting to do what you are accusing me of. I won't apologize for stating my opinion.

Tebow Time is over. We prefer to win games in the 1st quarter.
Trade managed by GM Agman, 2012

11-11-13, 06:53 PM (EST)
49. "RE: Advice taken..."
Quote:

"I think Bond should make his own points."

Unquote.

Just a simple opinion. Which I am free to express and (as you point out) you are free to disagree with this being an open forum.

No umbrage taken on my part, just a load of incredulity over how serious you seem to be taking an opinion with which you disagree.

I still think Bond should be allowed to make his own points. EOM.

11-12-13, 12:15 PM (EST)
53. "RE: Advice taken..."
You have a point.

Rereading the post, I feel I overreacted on that statement. My sincere apologies. Also, I suppose, this reinforces your point of the dangers of interpretation, one I've never disagreed with.

And while I do accept that I started the threadjack on this, I do have to say that in your next post I did not appreciate the comment about butting in. As I did then, I feel that is a sideways way to say "shut-up".

Tebow Time is over. We prefer to win games in the 1st quarter.
Trade managed by GM Agman, 2012

11-12-13, 01:10 PM (EST)
54. "RE: Advice taken..."
We're good. I did say buttinski, didn't I. Apology, sorry about that. By way of explanation, I will say that when I'm debating a point with one poster, I will start feeling piled upon when someone else butts in interjects extraneous remarks. At that point I begin to feel besieged on two (or more) fronts. Then what I say to one seems to irritate the other, and the cross-piling on is energized.

But that’s not criticism, I know that that's just what happens sometimes and isn't a cause to carp.

11-11-13, 04:19 PM (EST)
47. "RE: Advice taken..."

OK. Cool.

And Estee? You don't mind Estee telling us what you are "really trying to say", either, I presume? She's not likely to be defending it, though.

Very cool of you.

Do you expect a response to a sarcastic comment, or are you just trying to provoke? You're coming off as both, in case you don't mean it. If you don't, I apologize for misreading.

Why did you put quotes around "really trying to say"?

As for Estee, we have had a number of exchanges over the past 10 years or so that were actually more pleasant than this one.

What is very cool of me?

11-11-13, 07:17 PM (EST)
50. "RE: Advice taken..."
Straight forward logic didn't seem to be working, so I tried another tactic, sarcasm. And no, I didn't expect a response, nor did I expect to have to explain it to you. No offense meant there, but I just didn't.

Yes, it was sarcasm. Much as that which Newsome uses when he asks me if I just started posting here. I see it. I see the source. And I know that it's just sarcasm. NBD.

And it is very cool of you (sarcasm underlined here) that you are broadminded enough to let others state your opinion for you. Not many that I know would put up with that.

Although you have tried to provoke me with your insinuations that I was purposely not seeing something (a few post up - yeah, I did see that dig, but again, NBD), or the accusation above, All of this wasn't in anger, at least not on my part. I disagreed with your position Booby bracelet-wise, and the arguments you gave seems to me to be specious. Ultimately, they were sarcasm worthy. I expressed an opinion to Newsome and the responses I got were (IMO) also worthy of debate, and I still think his defense arguments were poor.

Getting mad and/or feeling unpleasant were totally your and possibly Newsome's feelings.

11-11-13, 08:20 PM (EST)
51. "OK"
Wow... now I almost feel bad for you. It's astonishing the conclusions and assumptions you're jumping to.

Oh well live and learn. This has made me almost miss Shakes...!

TTFN

11-12-13, 09:16 AM (EST)
52. "RE: OK"
LAST EDITED ON 11-12-13 AT 09:20 AM (EST)

Another dig. Two in fact. Along with an incomprehensible accusation. Thanks.

I miss Shakes too.

greenmachine 98 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-01-17, 02:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmachine Click to send private message to greenmachine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
56. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
I've always love boobies!

10-30-13, 11:42 AM (EST)
5. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
I think another part of the argument here is that if you're old enough to have it, you're old enough to talk about it. At least some part of the school system felt that way in order to have that day at all. Does such action 'hyper-sexualize' the environment through acknowledging the existence of a secondary sexual characteristic?

So if you're old enough to talk about it... are you old enough to choose the vocabulary?

When does the First kick in?

10-30-13, 11:56 AM (EST)
6. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
I applaud the school for having the day. I didn't see if they established guidelines for showing support. The girls certainly thought outside the box, but upon second thought, they should have simply reconsidered.

It's like testicular cancer. Granted, we're probably not going to get to a place where we're going to have awareness days/months for that, but I would imagine you'd get the same response from s kid coming to school with a bracelet reading, "I Heart Balls."

10-30-13, 12:05 PM (EST)
7. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
If Example Kid was male in America, he wouldn't live long enough to reach the school.

It does beg the question of what would have happened should the bracelets have shown birds or sports equipment.

10-30-13, 11:33 AM (EST)
3. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
LAST EDITED ON 10-30-13 AT 11:35 AM (EST)

So here we get into both 'what's appropriate for a school?' and 'does the First only kick in at eighteen?' at the same time. As such, I could try to predict just what each judge will rule in advance, but that just gets depressing. Let's just say I don't think this is going to be 9-0 and leave it at that.

Personally, it's not exactly one of my favorite terms and there are certainly better ways to say it, although 'I Love Breasts' would have gotten most students equally banned and changing the last bit to 'Breast Health' still would have resulted in suspensions on up at many schools. Let's face it: there's any number of facilities which would suspend a kid for wearing a pink shirt. And this wasn't a shirt at all: noticed mainly if you were looking for it...

Regardless, it still feels like a very stupid place to draw the line. This has all the indications of someone tilting at their chosen windmill, convinced that Western Civilization depends on their Putting The Next Generation In Line.

But still...

...dear gawds, it was Breast Cancer Awareness Day. Shrug and move on!

By the way, who do you think is paying for the school's lawyers all the way to the Supreme Court? I'm pretty sure it's not the school...

AyaK 10420 desperate attention whore postings

11-04-13, 11:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
The Supreme Court doesn't reveal the votes on cases that it declines to hear unless someone writes a specific dissent over the denial of cert.

Thus, it's unlikely that we'll ever know if anyone on SCOTUS voted to hear this appeal, because the 3d Circuit's ruling (against the school district) is obviously correct legally.

11-04-13, 04:26 PM (EST)
17. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
America: the land where no one ever accepted a decision until it agrees with yours.

It may be correct legally, but since when did that ever stop an appeal?

11-01-13, 11:39 AM (EST)
10. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
For the record, I would be for offering cancer awareness wrist bands (& Tee shirts, etc.) to all middle and high school kids who wanted them. And older people too. Whatever kind of cancer they wished to promote the awareness of.

At some point everyone should be allowed the opportunity to develop and express their personal viewpoints, even at the risk of some giggling and juvenile behavior.

And, also for the record, "I Heart Boobies". Always have, and always will. And always accompanied by giggling and juvenile behavior.

greenmachine 98 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-19-17, 01:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmachine Click to send private message to greenmachine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
55. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
LAST EDITED ON 04-19-17 AT 01:49 PM (EST)

I heart boobies too, especially when I use them both to bump something!

08-18-17, 11:16 AM (EST)
57. "*Bump*"

08-18-17, 03:12 PM (EST)
58. "RE: *Bump*"
Ah yes, bumping boobies.

Keeping the classics fresh.

08-22-17, 01:04 PM (EST)
59. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
Boobies need to be *Rustled*

08-29-17, 11:38 AM (EST)
60. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
bump

09-03-17, 02:59 PM (EST)
61. "RE: I Heart Boobies"
LAST EDITED ON 09-10-17 AT 02:35 AM (EST)

*boot* (although I DID finally watch "Shaka Zulu" on Netflix).

09-15-17, 03:00 PM (EST)
62. "Good night, Alene."
This is not an home improvement board. Beyond these gates lie Snark, Snark, and the occasional snarkiness.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •