The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Exchange program: terrorists for deserters"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 56733 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-02-14, 06:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Exchange program: terrorists for deserters"
If it was me...

...I'm actually going to clear some spoiler space here because it's an odd idea and I want to get it past the public view area...

...I would have chipped them. Implanted trackers. Transmitters. No matter where you go, we know where you are. We know who you're associating with. What you're planning. And if we hear anything interesting, it's also a homing beacon for drones. Enjoy your new life.

But I don't know if we're that smart.

And given the nature of what we let go...

...I know it's an American life. I know getting him back was important.

But I'm with some of the GOP on this one. I think we made a mistake. One which is going to come back and bite us. Hard. With more kidnappings to come. More deaths. More everything.

Unless I hear the pings coming off five radar blips, we screwed up.

We got back one life. We may have given up thousands. And just because some of those won't be American doesn't make them any less important.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Exchange program: terrorists f... kingfish 06-02-14 1
   RE: Exchange program: terrorists f... Estee 06-02-14 2
       RE: Exchange program: terrorists f... kingfish 06-02-14 3
           RE: Exchange program: terrorists f... Estee 06-02-14 4
               The deleted tweet moonbaby 06-03-14 7
 RE: Exchange program: terrorists f... Molaholic 06-02-14 5
 RE: Exchange program: terrorists f... starshine 06-03-14 6
 RE: Exchange program: terrorists f... kingfish 06-03-14 8
   RE: Exchange program: terrorists f... Molaholic 06-03-14 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

kingfish 17257 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-14, 08:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Exchange program: terrorists for deserters"
I'm ambivalent here too.

Do we value our soldiers so high as to put us in position that tells the enemy tht we will trade anything to get him back, or do we just say screw him, do what you will. Or do we limit ourselves to Seal team 6 type strike to recover him, which undoubtedly would result in casualties.

The only rational path to follow is to publically state that we don't deal with the enemy in these situations, but be willing to do whatever it takes. Including small remote controllled charges in the necks of anybody we would release. But whatever, we need to be unpredictable.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

06-02-14, 11:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Exchange program: terrorists for deserters"
Even if the government did exactly what I said above, we'd never know it. No one would ever trust us in a negotiation again if that information went public: it would have to stay secret forever, with the releasing parties taking the heat into the history books any beyond.

But as-is... especially given that there just might have been an actual procedure-illegal end run around Congress... problems. Lots of them.

And yes, I am aware this particular Congress would have happily left a thousand soldiers to die as long as they could try blaming the bodies on someone else. Even so.

06-02-14, 12:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Exchange program: terrorists for deserters"
I did hear someone on the Sunday Morning talk shows spinning this quagmire as being Bush's fault.

And I thought it verged on cruel and unusual punishment that the Administration used Susan Rice to make the announcement. If there was a reporter pool present, they could have made it very uncomfortable for her.

You know though, if it is discovered (reliably and factually) that he deserted to the enemy as some fellow soldiers are alleging, I'm no longer going to be ambivalent.

06-02-14, 01:21 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Exchange program: terrorists for deserters"
His father reportedly posted a tweet... well, if it's true, family sympathize may not lie with the States.

moonbaby 17091 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-14, 09:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "The deleted tweet"
link here:

http://allenbwest.com/2014/06/bergdahls-fathers-deleted-tweet-smoking-gun/

I think this exchange was a mistake and I hope I'm wrong.

Molaholic 8800 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-14, 06:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Exchange program: terrorists for deserters"
LAST EDITED ON 06-02-14 AT 06:14 PM (EST)

I too am very concerned about this.

In light of my previous posts supporting our brave men and women in uniform, I'm really torn on how to respond to this quagmire (thanks, that's the ideal adjective).

There have been several very dangerous precedents established -- the first is setting a "sure, we'll trade" policy with a very non-profitable (I really hesitate using that word, as there it implies placing a measurable value on the life of one of our brave service personnel) 5:1 ratio. This will invite further hostage taking that may very well escalate the 'price'. Again, taking nothing from Sgt. Bergdahl's service and sacrifice - but I don't see that his particular military value is that significant. The fact that this deal was made makes me think the 'deserter' title is without cause.

Another danger is the apparent violation of Presidential power. Could this lead to Impeachment? I'm certain that other clandestine operations have been hatched with appropriate communication between the Oval Office and Capitol Hill in the past, so why not in this case?

I really don't know how this will play out.

starshine 54 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

06-03-14, 08:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail starshine Click to send private message to starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Exchange program: terrorists for deserters"
I can see the concern, however I would point out that your soldier had been a prisoner for five years, so whilst it does send a cash for captives message it also says that it won't happen quickly.

There isn't much incentive to kidnap people if the payoff is five years in the future, and you have to worry about the SAS popping in for a visit whilst you are holding the captive.

06-03-14, 12:29 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Exchange program: terrorists for deserters"
LAST EDITED ON 06-03-14 AT 01:47 PM (EST)

I'm thinking that since the circumstances of his capture have been questioned by his fellow soldiers, soldiers who in his outfit and who were at the scene, and since allegations by them suggest he might have been indirectly responsible for a number of US/NATO casualties, that he will have to eventually go on trial for desertion.

I don't think that the military powers that be can just wink at those kinds of accusations.

Molaholic 8800 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-14, 06:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Exchange program: terrorists for deserters"
After more details of his capture have been brought to light, I may have to rethink my earlier statement about desertion. Perhaps this came about (in part) to get him back under our control so justice can take its course.

I certainly hope not -- considering the welcome home he's received ...

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •