The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-25-09, 09:20 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
LAST EDITED ON 03-26-09 AT 06:34 AM (EST)

I have to say it. Another VERY good night early in the competition. This season is turning out to be the one with the least number of trainwrecks ever. Again, a great group of contestants for season 8.

I'm going to group the contestants into three tiers tonight because it kind of jumped out at me that this was the case tonight.

TOP TIER - Great Performances
------------------------------
(1) Adam & Allison - Yes, a tie. And, yes, Glow, I ranked Adam at the top tonight. First, Adam. This is EXACTLY what I wanted to see from him. A genuine performance with just his voice, and not all the other distractions. He took a great song, did his own interpretation, and did it genuinely. Thank you. Finally, we get to hear your vocals as they should be.

Allison. I put her at the top because she is consistent, she is vocally mature, and only 16. In my opinion, she blows away Lil because she stands out from everyone else. She picked the perfect song for her age, she added her rock edge to it, and shook it up a bit. Great performance, again.

(2) Matt - This guy is on a roll and with Allison, are the surprises this season. Again, perfect song for him and he finally shows some of who he is.

(3) Kris - Another dark horse that is emerging. I love his style.

MID TIER - OK, nothing stellar
--------------------------------

(4) Danny - you can do better. My hometown boy needs to bring it back next week.

(5) Lil - OK, but compeltely karaoke. You sounded like the recording.

(6) Anoop - Good, yet boring. Simon was right.

BOTTOM TIER - Eh....
---------------------

(7) Scott - Yes, you are getting boring. I'm not sure how far you can make this last.

(8) Michael - Judges were right. Terrible song choice.

(9) Megan - I think its time to leave. That was dreadful. Megan doing Stevie??!!

geekboy

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... DoodleBug 03-25-09 1
 RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... mtb002 03-25-09 2
   RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... grit 03-26-09 30
 RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... Glow 03-26-09 3
 RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... Snidget 03-26-09 4
   RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... Ahtumbreez 03-26-09 8
       RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... Snidget 03-26-09 11
   RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... angelworth29 03-26-09 9
       RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... zazzy 03-26-09 27
 RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... true 03-26-09 5
   RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... Glow 03-26-09 7
   RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... Maroonclown 03-26-09 26
 RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... dragonflies 03-26-09 6
 RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... Ahtumbreez 03-26-09 10
 RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... kingfish 03-26-09 12
 RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... mrc 03-26-09 13
 RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... TanNymph 03-26-09 14
 RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... Tazluli 03-26-09 15
 RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... emydi 03-26-09 16
 RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... TxMom2011 03-26-09 17
   RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... emydi 03-26-09 31
       RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... Glow 03-26-09 34
 RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... SilverStar 03-26-09 18
   RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... Glow 03-26-09 19
       RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... TxMom2011 03-26-09 20
           RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... Glow 03-26-09 22
               RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... DoodleBug 03-26-09 32
                   RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... Glow 03-26-09 33
                       RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... grit 03-26-09 35
   RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... mindy23 03-26-09 21
 RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... zazzy 03-26-09 23
   RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... Glow 03-26-09 25
 RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... frodis 03-26-09 24
   RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... mhdallas 03-26-09 28
 RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... toddE 03-26-09 29
 RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... Belle Book 03-26-09 36
 RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Nigh... tyrocks00 03-31-09 37

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-25-09, 09:38 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
Other than one typo (#8 should by Michael, not Matt) I say ditto, ditto, and more ditto. You took the words right out of my mouth! But I gotta comment on a couple....

I would like to say that I am not surprised that Matt is doing so well. His Georgia on my Mind from Hollywood was nothing short of awesome. Glad to see him bringing it to the big stage.

I want to see more from Danny! Is he going to be the exact same every week? If so, I see him like a Melinda Doolittle. Too consistent with no growth, no arc spells no win on American Idol.

Adam! Wow. Strip away the glam and you have brilliant. Now watch some people say he's selling out (think Goo Goo Dolls when they hit mainstream). I hope to heck not because the rest of us who don't like the drama loved you tonight!

Thank you, Agman

mtb002 200 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-25-09, 10:25 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
I'll give it a shot.
1) Adam. That's one of my favorite Motown songs, and it was gorgeous. Also, his interaction w/ Smokey when he asked about the inspiration for the song was sweet. Can't say I cared for the look, remember, a dab'll do ya. I will admit, the evil half of me was hoping Adam would come out dressed like Dusty Springfield and belt out "Son of a Preacher Man" with pictures of Gokey flashing in the background.

2) Allison-Fantastic, I'll be buying this one, too. I just wish she weren't so vapid in her packages

3) Anoop- very tender, I think he'll find his stage presence.

4) Matty G- very ambitious, could have been a disaster, but was surprisingly enjoyable.

5) Kris- Pleasant, little boring, but nice

6) Danny-Screamy, but in tune

7) Lil-kills me to put her this low on this week, but judges were right, the song rushed her and didn't allow her to show off her strengths. And for the first time from her, the beginning of the song was pitchy

8) Scott-pleasant but very boring, pants were awful, people responsible should be sacked. Then sack the persons responsible for the sacking.

9) Oil man- You're a sweet, lovable guy but that was awful. Simon's right, it's just a matter of time, enjoy it while it lasts.

10) Megan- I cringed and couldn't wait for it to be over. Bad song choice. How does someone sound better with the flu?

grit 4868 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

03-26-09, 12:35 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
Hey, mtb002, welcome to the boards!

This:

I will admit, the evil half of me was hoping Adam would come out dressed like Dusty Springfield and belt out "Son of a Preacher Man" with pictures of Gokey flashing in the background.

had me rolling on the floor! I lvoe evil! I agree with most of your list but switch Oil man & Megan. I like Megan's voice but she's just not delivering in her performances. I don't know if it's her lack of stage experience or her nerves, but she better figure it out before she gets voted out.

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-09, 07:09 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
Adam “Tracks Of My Tears” – gorgeous. He did a good job winning back some of the people he lost last week. I read the comments here about Adam's performance last night to see who he warmed up. I knew he had this in him. I just thought he'd wait a little longer to pull it out. I guess he felt like he had to show it to everybody this week though. This boy is brilliant. Different league. Not fair to rank. I felt so bad for Danny and Allison last night.

Kris “How Sweet It Is” – How sweet is he? I like him more every week.

Matt “Let’s Get It On” - The parts of this that I liked, I liked more than the rest.

Allison “Papa Was A Rolling Stone” – I would like her so much more if somebody, ANYBODY, would tell her she needs to enunciate because half of the lyrics she sings get mumbled until she’s not even really singing words at all anymore. If somebody would mention that? I’d feel better.

Anoop “ Oooh Baby Baby” - some of it was really good. Some of it wasn't.

Lil “Heatwave” - very tributey. I can respect that.

Danny “Get Ready” - He looked good last night. I liked the boots and the jeans and the shirt and the hair. oh. And the glasses. He needs to serenade me real soon.

Megan “For Once In My Life” – yes, Kara, I would have loved to hear her sing “My Guy”. I want her to stick around because I really like her. She just needs somebody to help her pick songs.

Michael “Ain’t Too Proud To Beg” – I was hoping for the forceful. *sigh* I wish he was better.

Scott “You Can’t Hurry Love” – awful. I LOVED watching him looking around at all the records on the walls though. Blind. Pfft.

"What he does is original, deliberate, and intentional. He knows what he's doing and why. He is so superior to any of the other contestants that he really doesn't even belong there." - Tahj

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-09, 07:14 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
LAST EDITED ON 03-26-09 AT 08:38 AM (EST)

1. Adam. Amazing vocals. They did a Make it or Break it on the radio as if it were a new single and I agree with the guy running that morning show, it could be on the radio today. Such incredible control of the high notes, unlike Anoop that sometimes had problems.

2. Allison. Even with a bit of pronunciation issues in the verses I loved this. Although with the Rock Edge you can get away with a bit of the mumbling thing.

3. Matt. Mostly by default because of the other performances and the radio play back this morning was a lot better than when I kept waiting for the growth on his forehead to sing the falsetto parts for him. What.is.that.thing?

4. Anoop. Wouldn't have been this high but I also heard the audio on the radio this morning. Better than I remembered. However you need to get some personality and singing on the stage at the same time. And stay out of Pauler's Quaaludes before the show, mkay?

5. Kris. Sweet little monkey-faced Kris. Do you watch your play backs? Do you think that shtick is cute? Hopefully your lovely bride does.

6. Lil. Girl, you have gotta buy you some originality or something like that. I know you think you are trying to be original and change things up, but it's just the same old played out thing every week.

7. Scott. I want to like you, I really do, but you gotta step up your game.

8. Megan. Poor sweet twitchy Megan. If I thought you were more self aware I'd give you props for courting the worster vote, but I don't think that you know you are doing that.

9. DavidDanny. Mostly for being so fake about taking the advice of someone who has been in the business longer than you have. That kind of overt smugness is not going to serve you well. There is a fine line between confident and obnoxiously cocky. You bounded over it in a big way this week.

10. Michael, so glad you are happy to make the tour, but that really seemed a bit phoned in. Enjoy your time with your kid between now and the tour.

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-09, 08:22 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
Your number 9 is Danny, right?

Mangalicious by The Slice
09/25/2008 Bre left for Iraq
04/29/2009 Bre leaves Iraq

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-09, 08:39 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
Sorry, still hungover from typing Pauler's words last night.

angelworth29 532 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-26-09, 08:29 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
I wondered why Danny didn't take the advice when he sounded like he was going to. I've wondered before, in seasons past, because it seems like the contestants never take the advice. I can't figure out if they are just stupid or if the producers/band directors/etc. convince them not to for some reason.

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-26-09, 11:52 AM (EST)
27. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
Smokey did the mentoring Wednesday--the same day as the performances. It's kinda late to change up your song based on his comments in the morning. The live performance is at 5pm; rehearsal is like at what? 2 pm? Wonder if Danny tried it at the rehearsal and didn't like it.

In any event, I think Danny did the right thing to NOT change what he was doing. This is one of those AI manipulative things, trying to get the performer to change or throw them off. It was the editing that emphasized that Danny should sing the background part While I agree with Smokey, that Danny would have been good to add that part, I understand why Danny did not do it.

The editing had its desired effect. People are ticked at Danny for not honoring Smokey's advice.

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-09, 07:35 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
Good night overall. Thank Gawd for Adam, because I kinda miss the usual train wreck. Without Adam, this season would be Booooring.

1. Adam. Ok, I'm not really a fan. As I stated elsewhere, I think he'd make a wonderful drag queen, not American Idol. That's not a slam, if he wins AI it will be a disaster. Can you imagine the dreck he'd be stuck with if he wins? *shudder*

I did not care for Ring of Fire last week. While original, it was too weird. Tracks of my Tears, OTOH, was brilliant. In a sea of predictable, Adam came out with an entirely new look, sound, presence. Pretty impressive. I don't know if he's that great, or if the rest are that dull, but he nailed it. I hope he comes out every week with a whole new look. Very entertaining.

The rest-

Honestly, I FF'd through parts of everyone elses performances. Allison was better, but something about her is unappealing. In fact, there are no real appealing (including Adam) contestants this year. I don't know if it's looks or personality or both, but this season, while uniformly talented, lacks the "it" factor that Simon is always talking about. I mean Anoop, for example, is sweet, but star quality? I don't think so

03-26-09, 08:13 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
He has a few more looks I am dying for him to come out with. I just put some pictures in the Adam thread.

he is that great

Maroonclown 5829 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-09, 11:32 AM (EST)
26. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
I know what you mean about lack of appeal.

The Ol' Antique Shoppe is feeling pretty lonely these days.

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-09, 07:38 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
Maybe it is the proximity, but I completely agree with you geekboy. With everything you said.

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-09, 08:31 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
(1) Adam - So much better than last week, and I agree with everyone's Elvis comments. But he's the only one I look forward to just because I know it will be something a little or a lot different.

2) Allison - I didn't care for the song and thought she could have picked something more suited but she did well. I think the judges gave her a tonguebath because of being so low last week, otherwise I think they would have been harsher.

3) Matt - Perfect song for him and and he's showing more of his personality

4) Kris - He's a good singer with a stellar smile.

5) Megan - No I didn't like the song, but I still put her this high because she's not cookie cutter.

6) Danny - Ummm, didn't you say you were going to take Smokey's advice and then you blew him off? You're only at 6 because I still like the voice.

7) Lil - I have Lil in 7th because I expected SO much more.

8) Anoop - Snoozer but ok.

9) Scott - Snoozer and not ok.

10) Michael - Should have gone home last week. I think he peaked during Hollywood.

Mangalicious by The Slice
09/25/2008 Bre left for Iraq
04/29/2009 Bre leaves Iraq

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-09, 08:45 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
From the last two weeks, Lambert has shown himself to be clearly the class of the field. Vocal ability artistry, originality...he has a career. He was the only one shown to ask Smokey Robinson what he was thinking when he wrote his song (was he the only one singing an SR song?). He is so far above the others that, well, he has to be a big time ringer.

Visually he keeps reminding me of Elvis. Last night was early Elvis, the other nights he was Elvis after Elvis went to pot. If we have an Elvis Presley night he'll fit right in. Even without that, I fully expect to see him come out in a cape some night.

Lil has the best raw vocal talent, the others can sing pretty well, (Allison can belt a tune), but if talent wins out, Lambert wins, and Lil is second.

Gate .....Horse........Odds
1..........Lambert......1-10
2. ........Lil ............ 10-1
3. ........Allison .......20-1
4-9.......The field.... 50-1

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-09, 08:49 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
1. Allison. She's got chops.

2. Matt. I actually liked him tonight.

3. Adam. Reminded me of Sylar tonight.

4. Kris. Poppy and safe.

5. Anoop. Eh.

6. Danny. Predictable.

7. Michael. Boring.

8. Scott. Outclassed at this point of the show.

9. Lil. She better be glad Megan was there tonight. What a mess! Flat almost the entire song. I think I bought too heavily into the comparisons to Fantasia. She's no Fantasia.

10. Megan. A complete trainwreck. I agree with Simon--fire whoever is dressing her, styling her make-up, teaching her how to dance, etc.

TanNymph 309 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-26-09, 08:57 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
Top tier - true competition

1. Matt - Nice job on a very sexy song
2. Allison - The girl has serious pipes
3. Adam - Loved that he is unpredictable, very hot - I thought he looked a little like a young Kurt Russell.
4. Kris - Ok so the cutie pie can sing too

Middle tier - the potential is there, can they step it up?

5. Danny - Love his voice, he is missing the it
6. Megan - I love her. I hope she finds the right song if she stays.
7. Lil - We know you got the pipes, you need to wow us. A nice tribute nonetheless. Hated the wig though.

Have fun on the tour

8. Michael - I felt bad for him after Simon's comments. No he isn't going to win, but he did make it this far and he wasn't horrible.
9. Scott - I'm just not a fan.
10. Anoop - yes I know he can sing - I just don't like him. Please go away.

My guess at bottom 3.
Michael
Megan
Scott

Tazluli 141 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-26-09, 09:12 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
Here are mine:

(1) Allison - I like her edge. I am amazed at her talent and being so young.

(2) Matt - Each week he is getting better and better. I look forward to seeing him.

(3) Adam - I don't like Adam, but I thought he did a great job last night. He sang. No gimmick, no screeching. He sang.

(4) Kris - I thought he did another great job.

(5) Anoop - Another one who is doing better each week. A little boring, but, I think these types of songs suit him better.

(6) Lil - Not very good. She screamed through most of it. It was a bad song choice. I was thinking something like Midnight Train to Georgia would have been a perfect song for her.

(7) Danny - Idiot! It was a good song for his style, but Smokey was right! It sounded horrible with the back up singers. He is too smarmy and thinks he has this in the bag.

(8) Megan - Pretty bad.

(9) Scott - Bad.

(10) Michael - Really bad.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-09, 09:27 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
1. Adam-that was very good, not his best. I liked the kd lang look too

2. Allison-very good, her best OMG she's 16

3. Matt-this was good, he should have had Gokey's spot in order and vice versa

4. Scott--Ok I really like Scott, I've done a 180 on him...he's funny--VOTE for the PINK Pants. I said to myself...yoiks when I saw that outfit...as Chan over at VFTW said, come on costume guys, stop messing with the blind guy

5. Kris-he would def be higher on my list if he didn't make the ugly monkey ex husband mouth movements when he sings, I just can't get past this!

6. Anoop-this was not as good as the judges said...I wish he would stop being so blah

7. Michael-he's better than the rest but I wish Matt B had gotten this spot

8. Megan-yoiks...she is so bad but i'm coming around to the VFTW pick

9. Lil-this was really bad she screamed the whole song, the dress was cool tho

10. Dead Wife-he is such a douche bag and so freakin cheesy I had to wash my hands after watching this train wreck, Simon was the only one watching I guess.

Meh, can we stop doing Motown week, or at least stop letting them choose the same tired songs?

TxMom2011 188 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-09, 09:28 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
Finally down to 10 - a manageable number to comment on

1. Allison - I thought from the beginning she had the best voice. My first chills of the season. As for the mumbling, she messed up the words and was trying to cover. I just wish she wasnt so weird in those interviews.

2. Adam - Last nite was the first time I actually enjoyed his sreaming.. I mean singing. I thought it was a beautiful rendition of the Smokey classic.

3. Matt - I think he was sreeching a bit last nite but still a solid performance.

4. Danny - I like Danny and think he can sing and has great stage presence. I agree with the judges that it wasnt his best effort, but his energy made up for it.

5. Anoop - Good job for the NoopDogg... he needs a stylist though... looked like he had on about Four shirts -- and was wearing his little brothers jacket!

6. Kris - Never been a fan of this guy but he was good last nite -- though a smidge boring -- he has style though

7. Scott - Ahhhh... the piano man. Not a good song choice last nite. He is sorta one dimensional but he can sing. No way he can win this but I think he will have a career after Idol.

8. Lil - OK ... I say this SAME THING EVERY YEAR ... Idol always picks some black woman who can sing but is nothing special and then pimps the bejeezus out of her. You can find the Lils of the world belting it out in the choir on Sunday mornings in the black churches across the country.

MOTOWN nite should've been her night to shine. But NOOOOOOOO she picks a simple girl group song and was flat throughout most of it. She should have sung some Gladys ... Midnite Train to Georgia, Heard it Through the Grapevine, Neither One of Us, etc... something that features her voice with limited HOLLERING.

(And I don't like her smug personality)

9. Michael - wrong song dude ... and STOP DANCING (or attempting to)... I didnt realize until last nite that he is short. He is only 1-2 inches taller than Ryan

10. Megan - by far the WORST every week for me. I just dont get the hype. She cannot sing people!!!

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-09, 12:42 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
Midnite Train to Georgia, ... Neither One of Us, etc...

I think Lil would have had a "moment" with either one of these, esp. the first.

03-26-09, 01:07 PM (EST)
34. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
we'll always have Paris

SilverStar 6205 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-09, 09:32 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
1. Alison-- This girl can sing, and it never seems like she's trying too hard. It really does seem to come naturally to her, and I love that. I wish she hadn't forgotten so many words though.

2. Kris-- Really loved his take on the song. I love his stage presence, too. I don't know what Simon is talking about with his lack of confidence, because he comes off like he's completely comfortable and in control to me.

3. Adam-- Love this song and I love that he stripped it down. The only reason he's at #3 is because I think in some parts he was trying a little too hard to hit the super high notes and it was a little uncomfortable. The ending note though? LOVE. That was amazing.

4. Matt-- He is pretty consistently good, but I'm waiting for something more.

5. Anoop-- Really pretty vocals, but he bores me. However, I hope he ignores Randy's advice and doesn't try and do something funky and up-tempo next week because that usually spells trainwreck for him. Stick with the slow songs, just try to wake up a little.

6. Danny-- I always watch the performances and then listen to them again with my eyes closed so I can really concentrate on their vocals. I hated this when I watched it (seriously, he's such a cheeseball) but it was pretty good vocally. I enjoyed it much more with my eyes closed.

7. Michael-- Much like Danny, I thought this was horrible the first time around, but on 2nd listen it wasn't too bad.

8. Megan-- Oh, Megan. You poor, clueless girl. The thing that confuses me so much about Megan is that I think she sounds really good when she's singing for the mentors, but then she gets on stage and it completely falls apart. I wonder if it's nerves or something. Has anyone downloaded any of her studio recordings? I'd like to know if they're better than what we see on the live shows.

9. Lil-- Not good. I couldn't wait for it to be over.

10. Scott-- Ugh! Please go away.

Drinkin' with Ahkie!

03-26-09, 10:00 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
"I wish she hadn't forgotten so many words though."

That explains the mumbling. Though I find it pretty telling that I didn't realize she forgot words. Does she forget words all the time?

"What he does is original, deliberate, and intentional. He knows what he's doing and why. He is so superior to any of the other contestants that he really doesn't even belong there." - Tahj

TxMom2011 188 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-09, 10:07 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
Glow -- if you listen when she talks it sounds like she has a bit of a speech impediment. Those braces probably arent helping either.

03-26-09, 10:19 AM (EST)
22. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
good point. I'm not sure I've ever actually listened to her talk.

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-09, 12:53 PM (EST)
32. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
Someone asked me today if she has a tongue ring because she sounds like she has a "fat tongue". Does she? I haven't noticed if she does. could just be the braces.

03-26-09, 01:06 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
If you have your tongue pierced in the correct position, it does not effect your ability to speak (but for the first few days, naturally). Unless you're wearing a ring instead of a stud, of course. *wink* I've known people with braces who have had no troubles speaking.

She could very possibly just have mushmouth.

grit 4868 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

03-26-09, 01:13 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
Now you've got me thinking - I wonder if Allison has a palate expander. My older daughter had to wear one - twice - and she had a similar speech impediment while it was in her mouth. Next time she opens her mouth wide on a big note, I'll look and see if she does.

Or it could just be her braces. My younger daughter was lisping for a while when the orthodontist installed bumpers behind her teeth so that the braces wouldn't hit while her teeth were still misaligned.

Or she could just have a mushmouth...

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

03-26-09, 10:10 AM (EST)
21. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
I'm 'dating' myself here, like in lytmas paper, etc, but I grew up with Smokey and the gang, and, BTW, who is Gordy courting now, after all the illigits that he has all over MoTown?? That young beautiful thang by his side...guess he's like a Detroit Heff, huh?

Anyway, I LOVE MoTown week, and thought a few of these guys did an AMAZING JOB! Here's my list:

Adam-Oh, My, Heck! Wow. Great job, amazing versatility, emotion, inspiration, and interpretation. If this guy doesn't win AI, something will be very wrong. He has it all, IMHO. And I wasn't even offended by his rendition of "Rings of Fire" last week-even my husband, who hates AI, actually liked it!

Anoop: smooth, sweet, sultry. Almost close to the original. I wasn't looking at him so much, and really could care less if he 'looked tired'. So what?? It's a love song, judges! Not supposed to be wide-eyed and bushy tailed when singing a love song...whatever!

Matt: Soulful. Got me wanting to be 17 again. For a lot of bad reasons.....

Allison: yeah, she mumbles, whether she remembered the words or whatever, she needs to learn to open that pretty little mouth a bit more. But really good pipes and notes were spot on!

Danny: Cheesy in a cute way-loved the 'dancing' with the back-up singers, like they used to do, way back when. Don't know why he didn't take Smokie's advice, but I think it may have had something to do with changing too many things too quickly for everyone involved. As a musician, I know that you can really screw around with a song after you've rehearsed it one way, and throw everyone off. Better to leave well enough alone sometimes.

Kris: So darned cute, and vocals are always on track. Good song choice, and good performance of a classic that has been turned around several ways to Sunday.

Lil: I caught myself taking a deep breath for her several times. I'm surprised she didn't pass out for lack of oxygen. Gotta give her credit for taking on a monster. But it didn't work for her. And I don't care for her personality so much, either.

Michael: what they said. But Simon needs to shut. the. heck. up. If he can't find SOMETHING nice to say, at least!!!

Scott: getting very old very fast. I can barely stand to watch him sing, and his vocals are just ICK. And I thought the same thing about his clothes-is someone purposely playing a very bad joke on the blind guy?? Someone please tell him before he goes on stage!

Last and definitely the LEAST ALWAYS: Megan. Should have never been on this show. A lot of other really good female singers were dissed so that miss pretty with the tattoo'd arm and long blonde hair could have some air time. My cattle dog sings better. I have heard U-Tubers put their PIGS on video that sound better!! She is HORRID beyond words. Vocally, stage presence, arms flailling, nails on a chalk board, never hitting a single. note. EVER. What were they thinking? Is she related to Nigel, or is it just that Simon needs a girlfriend so badly??

And one more side note: WHAT THE HECK between Simon and Paula? How distracting was that??? Children, grow up, please!

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-09, 10:38 AM (EST)
23. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
This is the first show in three weeks that I have been able to watch live. Without the last two week's performances ringing in my head...here is what I saw:

1) Adam is the whole package...creating a different Adam for the audience, showing his versatility and creativity, giving us a tender performance...I agree with Smokey's standing O.

2) Kris...he really delivered. He does not appear to be getting behind the scenes image help...but musically he was fresh and enjoyable to listen to. I could imagine buying his music. For someone who had little camera time before the top 13, I hope he continues to hang in there. He is the quiet one, like Elliot was, who is sneaking up on the rest of the competition.

3) Allison...there were parts that were just outstanding...she is a diamond in the rough still imo. I think she is getting image help--her outfit was about camouflage dressing to make her seem thinner and have more of an hourglass shape. Her hair was tamed as well.

4) Danny...good, not great. I liked the energy and there were parts that keep haunting me because it reminds me of someone I have yet to figure out. I agree with those who think he looks smug at times. Adam can be smug but Adam has mastered the I-should-look-humble right now look.

5) Lil...I think she was incredibly nervous. I also think the need to learn and master one new song a week is already taking a toll on her. She learns them...but I don't think she is mastering them. If she has one where she has mastered it then I think she will really, really sell it and be back at 1 or 2.

6) Matt...good but not memorable. I thought the front runner pimpage was misplaced or overdone. Going first is always tough, though.

7) Anoop...bores me. I keep thinking that this is the barbershop chorus guy singing on the idol stage...he doesn't have "it" for me but he can sing well at times. He needs image help. What if he had come out in a suit like Adam did? I think that would have helped.

8-10) Scott, Megan, Michael

Scott...I haven't heard from him why he should be top 10 or 12. there were some who did not make it to the top 12 who were better.

Megan...clearly not as versatile as some other people. When she gets a song in her wheelhouse she will "bring it". Last night was not one of them. Song choice, Megan! And stay healthy!

Michael...absolutely not versatile, and learning and presenting a new song each week strikes me as daunting for him. Being ill this last week did not help, either. I think he could do two numbers well on tour for four months, though. In any event, the sing off peeps to make the top 36 never get very far. Such is Michael.

03-26-09, 11:10 AM (EST)
25. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
"He is the quiet one, like Elliot was, who is sneaking up on the rest of the competition."

agreeance. I see his "standing at a bus stop", lack of confidence as a cool confidence and it's showing more every week. I love how he's very Kris all the time. I won't compare him to the amazing Josh Logan (from Rock Star Supernova) in terms of talent since I barely know this cat and because Josh is beyond awesome. I will just say that cool Kris brought supermegaunstoppablecool Josh Logan to my mind because Josh never pretended that he cared what anybody else wanted him to do. And every time I think (in this case, hope) that somebody may be cool to the point of being uncompromising, I think of Josh. Admittedly, it's wishful thinking to even let the two names appear in the same paragraph but I'm reaching for somebody besides Adam to interest me on this show. If Kris stays Kris, I will be happy.

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-09, 10:55 AM (EST)
24. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
1.) Adam. I loved that. Loved it. A lot of people had trouble getting past his look and style and performance last week, so he combed his hair and put on a suit so that those people could just listen to his voice. It seems like it worked. Now, please, let him do his thing, whatever he wants it to be. That voice is so good. SO good. I've already pre-ordered the download from iTunes. To date, I have only downloaded one other AI performance from iTunes. So take my 99 cents for what it's worth. It's high praise from me.

2.) Allison. I agree that she needs to stop with the mushmouth lyrics, but her voice is great and she is a good performer.

3.) Anoop. I have no idea why I look at this guy every week and say, "oh, he can actually sing" but for some reason he keeps surprising me. Was it great? Nope. Was it good? Yes. How long can he keep surprising me? I don't know, it's nice to be pleasantly surprised by him rather than disappointed, so he's #3 for me for now.

4.) Matt. I don't really like him but he did do well last night. I liked the way he sounded sitting at the piano and thought he lost it a little when he stood up, but I think that's a hard song to do justice to and he gave it a good go.

5.) Kris. I don't like him, I don't hate him, he's here because it's the "meh" spot. He's not doing anything wrong, but he isn't doing anything particularly right either.

6.) Danny. He's good, yes. He's predictable. He's going to have to do something to get some attention because at the moment he's performing consistently and reasonably and that's good for him, but leaves me a little bored.

7.) Lil. Show us what got you here, or you're not going to be here long enough to show us what got you here.

8.) Michael. There was nothing really wrong with this performance, and it was pleasant and enjoyable and just. . . fine. The problem is that he's outclassed in this competition and he doesn't have the range or style to stand out. If he DOES have the range or style to stand out, he needs to show it NOW. Unless it's already too late.

9.) Megan. That was bad. She's trying too hard to fit the quirkey bluesy jazzy mold that the judges keep telling her she falls into. The thing is, she IS quirkey and jazzy bluesy but it's not the same quirkey jazzy bluesy that she's trying to do. Her interpretation of that song was awful, and I thought so in the rehearsal with Smokey. She was sending way too much through her sinuses in an attempt to be stylized, and it stunk. She has had some really outlandishly bad song choices.

10.) Scott. You're nice. You're funny. You can sing. You've had a long enough ride in this competition and it's time to go. I said Michael Sarver is outclassed in this competition, and he's better than you are. This show has given you the exposure to go grab a gig somwhere, which is good. Don't wear those pink pants.

Moonie made me a sandwich!

mhdallas 165 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-09, 12:03 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
1 - Absolutely Adam. A young looking Elvis singing Motown - could it get any better that that? This guy has serious talent. I'm really pulling for him in this competition because of his fierce talent and originality. The music world has enough Carrie Underwoods and Fantasias - let's get another point of view out there.
2 - Danny. I seem to be one of the only ones who really enjoyed his performance last night, even though it definitely could've been improved if he'd listened to Smokey (after all, what could Smokey possibly know about music, Danny?). Still, it was a good, energetic version of one of my favorite Motown songs.
3 - Matt. Personally, the man bores me with his Justin Timberlake looks, but he sings like nobody's business. Very good job last night.
4 - Allison. I'll put her this high for vocals, but I'm really not feeling it for her. She's too young and raw, even though the skills are definitely there. Meh.
5 - Anoop. Simply adorable. Nice song, nice effort. A little dull.
6 - Kris. Bad song (one I've always hated) done in a completely forgettable way. Yawn. Kris - cuteness will only take you so far in a singing competition.
7 - Lil - I really thought she was better than this, but if she can't even carry Motown songs, what can she carry? I hope she'll do better though, because she seems like a good person.
8 - Scott - What was that? Why that song of all songs? I hate to say it, but your time is drawing close. Enjoy the tour, though.
9 - Michael. Basically, a redneck singing Motown - it couldn't possibly work. Too bad he's such a nice guy, and he really does have a good voice. Just not right for this competion.
10 - Megan. Bye bye. Won't miss your caterwauling or horrible twitching movements at all. (Were you in pain? Did somebody sneak itching power down your dress? Something had to be going on, because normal people DO NOT move like that.)

As a big fan of Motown, it was great seeing Smokey Robinson again - this man has always been one of my favorites. My favorite moment of the night had to be when he stood up for Adam. Adam, take that moment with you for the rest of your life; even though that's not your musical preference, it's still an incredible honor.

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

03-26-09, 12:24 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
I took AI off my DVR after Tatiana didn't make the top 13, as I found this to be a very bland and uninteresting group.

Last night I decided to check it out again. I find it hilarious that people think this is a good group, because I thought it was an awful group. Really terrible. Probably the worst group ever on AI (although season 2 was also weak).

1. Adam--yeah, I see why he gets the hype. He deserves it and is head and shoulders above the rest.

2. Allison--very good. Has real talent and is way above the herd, but well below Adam.

3-10. Everyone else was crap. Some sounded worse than others but all of them were boring and forgettable.

Dreadful. The top 36 had a number of interesting people, but most of them just didn't get through.

Belle Book 3613 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-26-09, 03:43 PM (EST)
36. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
Here's my ranking of the singers:

1. Lil Rounds -- I was actually blown away by her singing!

2. Adam Lambert -- this was my favorite performance of his! Totally different from his usual performances (which I don't like).

3. Allison Iraheta -- great recovery from last week!

4. Kris Allen -- fine performance from him!

5. Matt Giraud -- nice performance.

6. Anoop Desai -- really sweet but maybe a little boring.

7. Danny Gokey -- not his best performance, sad to say.

8. Scott McIntyre -- not great.

9. Michael Sarver -- a little worse.

10. Megan Joy -- train wreck.

tyrocks00 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-31-09, 11:28 AM (EST)
37. "RE: Rankings - Top 10 - Motown Night"
Adam Lambert was amazing! Tracks of My Tears was the perfect song for him and he looked a lot like elvis!

"never ever learned to read or write so well
But he could play the guitar just like a ringing a
bell"umgd

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •