The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"In defense of Richmond and Birmingham"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

opinionated 151 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-26-06, 01:57 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"In defense of Richmond and Birmingham"
I just read an article on MSNBC that got me so incensed I finally had to say something. First, here's the article...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12961455/

The part that really cheesed me off:

“Taylor’s been getting so many votes. The South, they really just support the people from their small towns when they make it,” said Bellesi. “There’s a lot happening in California. People have a lot of distractions.”

Variations on this theme have appeared in other articles and on these message boards. I was born and raised in Ohio, but have lived in both Raleigh and Richmond as an adult. I am very offended by these people who seem to think that Southerners are just a bunch of dumb hicks who have nothing better to do than park themselves in front of the TV and vote for their favorite idols. Consider the possibility that, apparently unlike people in Los Angelas, the folks down here are PROUD of their hometowns and want to show the rest of the country that they stand behind their contestants. Just because Los Angelas can't, or WON'T, get it's s*** together to rally behind someone doesn't mean it's because they have such important, busy lives compared to people in Richmond or Birmingham. Maybe, just maybe, they're lazy, self-absorbed, self-important jerks. I wouldn't PRESUME to know, since I don't live there.

And by the way, neither Richmond nor Birmingham is a small town. They may not be Chicago (where I've also lived) or New York, or Los Angelas, but they aren't Checotah, Oklahoma, either. I assure you that here in Richmond we have thousands of stop-lights, not just one. We also have high-rise buildings, a bustling downtown and are THE CAPITAL of Virginia. Sheesh.

I'm going to go watch some TV and eat some Cheetos now.

P.S. I'd love to see a contenstant from NYC make it to the finals. I'd bet my last dollar that big 'ole NYC would ROCK the vote. That would teach Los Angelas a thing or two.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: In defense of Richmond and Birm... mrc 05-26-06 1
   RE: In defense of Richmond and Birm... opinionated 05-26-06 2
       RE: In defense of Richmond and Birm... mrc 05-26-06 4
   RE: In defense of Richmond and Birm... nailbone 05-29-06 10
       RE: In defense of Richmond and Birm... Snidget 05-29-06 12
 RE: In defense of Richmond and Birm... Snidget 05-26-06 3
 RE: In defense of Richmond and Birm... geg6 05-26-06 5
   RE: In defense of Richmond and Birm... PagongRatEater 05-26-06 7
 RE: In defense of Richmond and Birm... PagongRatEater 05-26-06 6
   RE: In defense of Richmond and Birm... opinionated 05-26-06 8
 RE: In defense of Richmond and Birm... zazzy 05-28-06 9
   RE: In defense of Richmond and Birm... nailbone 05-29-06 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-26-06, 02:05 PM (EST)
1. "RE: In defense of Richmond and Birmingham"
I'm going to go watch some TV and eat some Cheetos now.

That should be pork rinds, not Cheetos.

05-26-06, 02:08 PM (EST)
2. "RE: In defense of Richmond and Birmingham"
Aww, now you're making me laugh and I'm supposed to be pissed!

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-06, 02:11 PM (EST)
4. "RE: In defense of Richmond and Birmingham"
LAST EDITED ON 05-26-06 AT 02:12 PM (EST)

Believe me, my southern roots give me every right to poke fun.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

05-29-06, 11:12 AM (EST)
10. "RE: In defense of Richmond and Birmingham"
Have you tried the chile and lime pig skins? Or is that just a Texas thing?

Sig by Slice

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster o-

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

05-29-06, 12:07 PM (EST)
12. "RE: In defense of Richmond and Birmingham"
I can get chili and lime ramen noodles here. I haven't checked the pork rinds lately, but they could probably sell them here as well.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-06, 02:10 PM (EST)
3. "RE: In defense of Richmond and Birmingham"
I never read them as slams about the South, it is true that when a hometown kid does good here (and in many other parts of the country, look at Hawaii when they had someone in Idol) that they get a lot of support.

In LA you can't take the garbage out without tripping over someone famous, so I don't think they pay attention to those sorts of things the way people in other states do.

I'm sure if it were North Dakota and Maine that had finalists instead of the South with the third one from California you'd see the exact same comments.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-06, 02:13 PM (EST)
5. "RE: In defense of Richmond and Birmingham"
Well, I don't live in any of those places. So I have no ax to grind.

I think there is some merit to the argument that it is a much bigger deal to the people in Birmingham and Richmond than it is in LA. Not because people are any busier there, however.

I'd venture to say that LA is an industry town, like my city used to be when big steel still existed. We never thought twice about how the mills could light up the sky or seeing red hot slag pouring down a hillside. But outsiders were mighty impressed because it was out of the norm for them. LA's industry is entertainment and, as such, I would venture to say that most people there are pretty blase about getting too excited about one.more.young.and.talented nobody competing for a contract. It happens there every minute of the day. Not that big a deal to them, especially if they also happen to be young and talented and may compete with that person for a job. It's just not a unique thing to them.

So you are also not being fair because you aren't taking into account that difference between LA and everywhere else.

Goddess of the Steeler Nation
And, honestly? I think New Yorkers would also be pretty blase about it, too, for many of the same reasons Angelenos are.

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-06, 03:36 PM (EST)
7. "RE: In defense of Richmond and Birmingham"
That doesn't explain why they don't care about their sports teams, though. Maybe people from LA just think that they are above everything?

But, the four of us had a great time.

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-06, 03:33 PM (EST)
6. "RE: In defense of Richmond and Birmingham"
What's really stupid about this is that hometown voting really makes up a small percentage of the overall vote.

Did people from Alabama back Taylor overwhelmingly? Of course but BFD - the whole state has like 1/3 of LA's population...complacent or not that's a huge advantage.

Taylor was the most popular choice from the very beginning. He unquestionably had the best finale performance. They didn't hype a close vote at all. I would pretty much guarantee that he was the top vote getter in EVERY regions, so why single out the South?

Rail against the backwoods all you want, you elitist snobs. The fact is Taylor would have won this competition regardless of where the votes were cast.

But, the four of us had a great time.

05-26-06, 04:06 PM (EST)
8. "RE: In defense of Richmond and Birmingham"
Thank you! Dontcha just love the idea that being from a more populated area puts you at a disadvantage? People will come up with anything when their horse doesn't win.

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-28-06, 04:41 PM (EST)
9. "RE: In defense of Richmond and Birmingham"
LAST EDITED ON 05-28-06 AT 04:47 PM (EST)

Hey opinionated, I can understand your being ticked off..but this should make you feel better:

--on another board I read about Kat's finale crowd--the one they showed at the beginning of the results show--but never went back to--had very few people as compared to the thousands that turned out for Taylor. They cited an article from tvgasm (website)--if I can find I will post. The article had pics from b4 and during the show, showing how small the crowd was. McPhee's grandparents were there as was Tamyra and not that many others. Some hard core fans.

(And yes, I know that Kat has fans all over the country and yes, I know that she would not have been there if she had not beaten Chris that week, but wow! what a bad turnout for her.)

Also, if the vote were AT ALL close, AI would be playing that up. The vote was not close, not at all.

Right now the media is being its usual, crusty, negative, harsh self and Taylor, his hometown, anything related are all targets. Just wait till he rocks with his album and sells more than they ever imagined. Then they can all eat their petty words.

Edited to add the tvgasm.com link: http://www.tvgasm.com/archives/american_idol/002192.php

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

05-29-06, 11:15 AM (EST)
11. "RE: In defense of Richmond and Birmingham"
And remember the difference in the turnout for the "hometown visits" of the final three. Taylor and Elliot got to meet the governors and have parades and stuff, while poor Kat got to go back to her high school gym to a crowd of a few hundred.

Sig by Slice

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster o-

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •