The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Things that make you go "Hmmmm" about AI"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-27-05, 09:24 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Things that make you go "Hmmmm" about AI"
First, congratulations to Carrie.

This is really not a sour grapes thread. This is a thread to collect all the things that have us scratching our heads. At the very least, maybe it will help in malking PTTE picks next season!

Here are some things that have made me go "Hmmmm" about this AI, wondering what they really mean--please add the things that keep you wondering as well:

I was reading another board and learned the following--I do not know if these things are true:

--they said Carrie was treated very specially from the beginning, getting her own dressing room as compared to other finalists.

--there was some sort of press release in England that mentioned Carrie as the AI 4 winner the weekend before the finale.

Then there was "E":

--they had a pre finale results red carpet show. One of the features was all the merchandising AI has gotten into. Some of the items featured were:

a) a girl's costume that looked like a one shouldered blue dance outfit for Halloween with American Idol across the chest of the outfit,

b) AI poptarts-- yes, their own freakin' poptarts. Who eats poptarts? My guess--the biggest poptart target is preteens. At the very least I know my preteen gymnast niece and her friends all eat them.

c) an AI doll--the doll was a blonde, long haired girl (like a Carrie) that sang a Britney Spears tune. It looked like a Barbie type of doll. It even had a second performance outfit in the package and a small microphone. Why would they have this doll all ready to go and be sold? Maybe because Carrie was meant to win?

--E interviewed Paula preshow and she said it was Carrie's night. I saw this clip on regular E, though.

--E interviewed the producers preshow who said they did indeed knew who won, because they had to arrange music, etc. So going into the show, my guess is that many, many people already knew the winner. No big deal, really, but I wonder how far in advance the order of the songs of the finale results show were set.

--last night E interviewed the AI winner, Carrie, and she mentioned that Bo had had food poisoning the night before the finale. (and I thought.....what convenient food poisoning! I would hate to think that someone wanted Carrie to win so badly that they would doctor Bo's food! Nah, just a coincidence.)

---At the end of the finale, Simon gave Bo a kiss off by saying if I do not get another chance, then let me say you were a joy to work with or whatever his quote was. Looking back, Simon was telling Bo he was not going to win.

Simon had just earlier told us in the finale that Carrie would win. Then, in the results show, he said that "America had got it right again" (that still bugs me....like Bo's winning would be wrong somehow). And throughout the competition, Simon praised Carrie even when the message boards talked again and again about how stiff she was or the clunky notes she might have hit. No doubt she can "blow" as Randy said, but she was not consistent in her "blowing". Simon only really dinged Carrie the one time--wasn't it when Clive was there?

Hey, maybe America would be wrong according to Simon because all the merchandising AI had arranged WOULD FLOP IF BO WON?

--Then throw in that Carrie is first on the Idol CD which is released prior to the finale~! And her hometown is last on the AI tour, dates arranged long before the finale.

--And don't forget that Clive Davis appears on the show when there are three finalists left. He assures Bo there is a contract with him in the future.

I do not know if it means anything at all, but Carrie's home state declared a Carrie day when we were shown the three finalists left, yet Bo's state did not declare a Bo Bice day until the finale results show. Maybe they were just trying to catch up with OK. Or maybe OK was trying to whip up all the support possible before the finale show.

Each thing...not much. Taken together, they make me go "Hmmmm".

And next season, I will be checking the order of singers on the Idols CD and looking into the tour dates and hometown order. And be suspect of the prefinale recipient of the Clive Davis contract.

--Oh, one last Simon observation....when Bo was singing with Lynard S., the audience was on its feet, clapping and rocking out. So were Paula and Randy. Simon was the only one who remained seated, and they even showed him looking around perplexed at the crowd support for Bo. I do not think Simon understands Rock as well as he understands Pop.

Maybe next year I just need to listen to Simon when doing my PTTE. Idol is a Pop contest, after all.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 yeesh Glow 05-27-05 1
   RE: yeesh zazzy 05-27-05 2
 RE: Things that make you go "Hmmmm"... Java 05-27-05 3
   RE: Things that make you go "Hmmmm"... nailbone 05-27-05 4
       RE: Things that make you go "Hmmmm"... bystander 05-27-05 5
           RE: Things that make you go "Hmmmm"... Devious Weasel 05-27-05 7
           RE: Things that make you go "Hmmmm"... tamarama 05-27-05 8
 RE: Things that make you go "Hmmmm"... Devious Weasel 05-27-05 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-27-05, 10:23 AM (EST)
1. "yeesh"
I wish I had the time to address all of these right now but I don't want to.

I just wanted to address the Pop Tarts thing. I? eat Pop Tarts. *shrug*

oh. And? the American Idol Barbie thing. Barbie? is blonde.

oh. And? Has Simon ever got up and danced? I don't recall.

oh. And? Simon said that was the last time he could address Bo because that was the last time he would be able to "judge" Bo on stage.

Take a deep breath. Relax.

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-27-05, 12:43 PM (EST)
2. "RE: yeesh"
LAST EDITED ON 05-27-05 AT 12:44 PM (EST)

Glow--it is not a Barbie--it is an AI doll that looks like Carrie. It is Barbie like.

And yes, I know that many adults eat poptarts, but they are not the main target of Poptarts marketing.

ETA: I am breathing just fine, thanks!

Java 519 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-27-05, 12:49 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Things that make you go "Hmmmm" about AI"
Here's what made me go hmmmmm, (and I apologise if this is discussed elsewhere, I haven't been thru all the posts yet)

Immediately after announcing the winner, the camera cut to Bo's family in the audience - mislabelled as 'Carrie's Family'. Bo's grandma and mother were pumping their arms and cheering. They looked thrilled that he didn't win. Bo himself looked like he was going to blow chunks just prior to the announcement, but was smiling from ear to ear when Carrie won. Looks to me like both finalists got their wishes granted.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-05, 02:53 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Things that make you go "Hmmmm" about AI"
Looks to me like both finalists got their wishes granted.

Yep. Carrie got the win and all that comes with it, and Bo got the exposure and the second place stuff, and will be able to take advantage of it without selling out.

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Keep lookin' up, cuz that's where it all is. o-

bystander 4968 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

05-27-05, 03:04 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Things that make you go "Hmmmm" about AI"
Actually, I think the entire Top 10 basically have similar contracts with the same record company so I don't see Bo being all that much better off for not winning. (I could be wrong but I read that somewhere)

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-05, 03:24 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Things that make you go "Hmmmm" about AI"
Bo is better off for the following reason - he appeals to a lot of people who would probably never consider buying an album from the winner of American Idol. And Carrie's album is going to be marketed as being from the winner of American Idol.

tamarama 1785 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-27-05, 03:26 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Things that make you go "Hmmmm" about AI"
<<I don't see Bo being all that much better off for not winning.>>

Yes, he's still tied to AI, however...

Unlike others in the top 10, by making it to final 2, he got the maximum possible exposure.

BUT, by not winning, he is less likely to be saddled with crappy songs like "Inside your...Heaven"

(although I'd listen to him sing "Playground in My Mind")

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-05, 03:23 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Things that make you go "Hmmmm" about AI"
Taking some things in order.

Despite numerous rumors about it, no one has yet to produce a copy of this so-called press release. If it existed, we would have seen it. Because we haven't seen it, the most appropriate conclusion is that it never existed.

As Glow mentioned, the Pop Tart market is far more expansive than pre-teens. Nonetheless, the core audience for AI is teenagers, primarily female teenagers. Every other market segment is secondary to that group.

American Idol Barbie was announced and previewed in trade journals last summer. Which doesn't mean that they couldn't have tried to find a contestant who looked like the doll they were going to sell, but it does mean that they didn't create a doll to look like the contestant they planned to have win.

Your comments about the producers just indicate that they knew who won before the results show began, not before the final performances. This is not unusual. The producers of all award shows know who the winner is going to be, and the AI final results show is definitely an awards show.

Simon criticized Carrie on more occasions that that. He called her wooden, robotic, nervous, etc. He was quoted in gossip columns on Monday as saying that, if she did poorly in her first song Tuesday, she would not be able to recover. And after the final three show, he said Bo would win. His comments about America getting it right were in reference to Bo and Carrie being the final two, not to the winner.

I'm not sure what you mean by her hometown being last on the tour. The last stop on the tour is in Syracuse, New York. This is a lot closer to Constantine's home than to Carrie's. The only stop in Oklahoma is on August 10, and that comes before a stop in Mikalayahahahaha's hometown and stops near the hometowns of Anthony and Constantine.

All anyone needs to know about why Carrie won comes down to this. We know that Carrie and Bo were within 2% of each other at the final three. That's 2% with Vonzell getting a bunch of votes. So, the key question is, where were Vonzell's votes going to go: to someone similar to Vonzell (young, pretty, female, popish) or to someone who was nothing like Vonzell (older, rugged, male, rocker)? The answer is obvious - Vonzell's votes were going to go to Carrie. We knew that before Carrie and Bo even began to sing. Couple that with the facts that Carrie had a large, faithful fanbase, and there was no chance whatsoever that Carrie was going to lose. Not because the contest was rigged, but because the voting was over before it even began. The only, ONLY, contestant who would have had a chance to syphon off enough of Carrie's votes to win would have been Constantine, and he blew his chance when he tried to show he really was a rocker.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •