The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Cornertime Forum (Public)
Original message

Molaholic 7014 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-24-09, 03:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake"
My mother first introduced this little diet-breaker to our family Christmas in 1968. I inherited responsibility for making it in 1998. At first I was panicking that it would be way beyond my culinary non-expertise, but my mother was still healthy enough to talk me through my first endeavor.

I've experimented a couple of times, replacing the walnuts with macadamias one year (I had just returned from Hawaii) and using whole wheat flour (don't).

Anyway -- enjoy.

FRAN’S MISSISSIPPI MUD CAKE

Ingredients:
CAKE
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 sticks butter/margarine, melted
1 ½ cup sifted flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup angel flake coconut
1 to 2 cups walnuts or pecans, chopped
1 jar marshmallow crème

Beat eggs and sugar until they are thick. Combine melted butter/margarine, flour, cocoa and vanilla. Fold in nuts and coconut. Pour into greased and floured 13x9 inch pan and bake at 350° F for 30-35 minutes. Use toothpick to check for doneness.
Remove cake from oven, immediately spread marshmallow crème. Let cake set and cool just a bit before frosting. While frosting, allow chocolate frosting and marshmallow crème to combine slightly in swirls.

Frosting can be prepared while cake is baking.

FROSTING:
1 stick butter/margarine, melted
3 Tbls. milk
1/3 cup cocoa
1-1 lb box powdered sugar
1 to 2 cups chopped nuts (optional)

Combine dry ingredients, add butter/margarine, beat well (add nuts). Spread frosting over marshmallow crème (see note above).

Allow cake to cool thoroughly before serving. Keep covered.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake CTgirl 12-24-09 1
 RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake Maroonclown 12-26-09 2
   RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake qwertypie 12-26-09 3
       RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake Molaholic 12-26-09 4
       RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake Maroonclown 12-28-09 5
           RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake Molaholic 12-28-09 6
               RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake Maroonclown 12-30-09 12
 RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake Seana 12-28-09 7
   RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake arkiegrl 12-28-09 8
       RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake Seana 12-28-09 9
 Oh my ... Karchita 12-29-09 10
 RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake frodis 12-29-09 11
 RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake Snidget 01-05-10 13
   RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake frodis 01-06-10 15
       RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake Snidget 01-06-10 17
 RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake Ahtumbreez 01-06-10 14
   RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake weltek 01-06-10 16
 Yum Seana 01-13-10 18
   RE: Yum weltek 01-13-10 19
 Pictures weltek 01-29-10 20
 Better late than never!!!!!! qwertypie 02-27-10 21
   RE: Better late than never!!!!!! qwertypie 02-28-10 22
       RE: Better late than never!!!!!! weltek 02-28-10 23
       RE: Better late than never!!!!!! qwertypie 03-02-10 24

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

CTgirl 5879 desperate attention whore postings

12-24-09, 04:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake"
That looks yummy! I'm glad that it doesn't have mocha in it. Usually mud in a recipe equals coffee and I don't like the flavor! I will save that recipe for sometime when I need to make a birthday cake.

Enjoy!

Dash Away by Agman - bobbled by Tribe

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Maroonclown 5430 desperate attention whore postings

12-26-09, 12:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Maroonclown Click to send private message to Maroonclown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake"
Oh gosh. I haven't made the braised short ribs yet.

I'm afraid I'll have to bow out on this one. I don't bake. It's not that I don't want to it's just I'm a miserable failure at it.

agman did it

qwertypie 7918 desperate attention whore postings

12-26-09, 03:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake"
Oh let's be adventurous. I have the worst luck with cakes (with several ovens, pans, baking powders, flours, etc.). I will try this if you will!

12-26-09, 03:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake"
LAST EDITED ON 12-26-09 AT 03:58 PM (EST)

Just so you know -- the toughest part (for the novice chef) is the frosting. Don't be put off if it looks like a powdery, lumpy mess at first -- it takes some time to look reasonably like frosting (don't get antsy and add more milk right off -- but you can dribble a bit more if you really need to...)

Of course, you can always just buy a can of ready made -- just don't neglect the marshmallow creme!

Good Luck!

12-28-09, 01:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Maroonclown Click to send private message to Maroonclown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake"
M'kay, but I don't have a mixer. How hard is this to make by shear brute force?

agman did it

12-28-09, 08:31 PM (EST)
6. "RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake"
M'kay, but I don't have a mixer. How hard is this to make by shear brute force?

That may be a challenge, especially beating the eggs into the sugar -- unless you have an old hand cranker you're probably outta luck.

yes, I actually used the phrase "hand cranker"

So what other culinary apparatus are you lacking?

A Molaholic Christmas presented by Agman ©MMIX

12-30-09, 05:02 PM (EST)
12. "RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake"
unless you have an old hand cranker

*squint* Have you been talking to my husband?

agman did it

Seana 5017 desperate attention whore postings

12-28-09, 10:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake"
Oh wow. This looks great, Mole! I haven't tried it yet; I'm saving it for my Tuesday night visit with my cousin. We often try new goodies.

Anyway, how much butter is in a stick? Do you think it would be OK if I left out the coconut? Neither Cousin nor I is a big coconut fan*.

Though I am a big Coconut fan.

arkiegrl 9083 desperate attention whore postings

12-28-09, 10:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake"
LAST EDITED ON 12-28-09 AT 10:21 PM (EST)

Googled this: (I knew it was 8 tablespoons, but didn't know the rest of the conversions)
1 stick of butter = 1/4 pound
1 stick of butter = 1/2 cup
1 stick of butter = 8 tablespoons
1 stick of butter = 4 ounces
1 stick of butter = 113 grams

12-28-09, 10:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake"
Thanks arkie!

I thought it might be 1/2 a cup, but wasn't exactly certain.

Wheel of tribe

Karchita 3533 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

12-29-09, 01:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "Oh my ..."
I think about 500 calories jumped me as I read this. It sounds absolutely wonderful, but I am going to have to save it for a special event.

Christmasized by the one and only Sharnina

frodis 3796 desperate attention whore postings

12-29-09, 03:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake"
This looks really good. Very decadent. It also looks very sweet.

I'm currently trying to decide between making this or a cheesecake for NYE.

~Holiday cheer from Tribe!~

Snidget 35571 desperate attention whore postings

01-05-10, 08:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake"
so I combined this with something else I saw, so hopefully the lower fat of the one will counterbalance out some of the fat from this.

Took a devil's food cake box mix and combined it with a can of pumpkin. no water, eggs or oil. It does make a dense moist cake and well it's healthy now, right? It is a serving of veggies and fiber. I added the coconut and pecans to that.

Rest of it was done the same, but no nuts in the frosting.

Turned out really good.

frodis 3796 desperate attention whore postings

01-06-10, 12:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake"
What size can of pumpkin did you use?

I'm always intrigued by these recipes where you combine cake mix with one other thing (like the pumpkin, or the diet 7-up recipe) but I've never tried it.

Does it taste. . . pumpkiney?

Snidget 35571 desperate attention whore postings

01-06-10, 12:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake"
The pumpkin flavor is drowned out by the chocolate so I can't really taste the pumpkin.

I used the 16 ounce can. At first it almost looked like not enough but it worked. The cake mix was a little thick, so I might add a bit of water or a bit of diet coke next time to make the batter pour.

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

01-06-10, 12:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake"
Rob would love this, he's a marshmallow fluff freak. I'm not showing this until we've gotten our diet back on track. Maybe some individual little ones after a while.

weltek 16003 desperate attention whore postings

01-06-10, 12:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: OTCC - Mississippi Mud Cake"
Same here. In February I am going to make this as a "treat." I'm thinking I'll allow myself to make a batch of cookies/cake/etc. at the start of each month, and do it full fat version. I love to bake, but get tired of the low cal/fat versions. It's not as satisfying to make those.

-A Tribetastic Creation

01-13-10, 01:36 PM (EST)
18. "Yum"
Made this last night. My cousin and I weren't sure the Fluff added anything, but the cake was nice and moist. I may cut the sugar next time, though. And maybe add some peanut butter frosting instead of marshmallow fluff...or in addition to it...hmmm.

Sig by tribephyl

01-13-10, 02:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Yum"
Oooh, that sounds dangerous.

I'm looking forward to making this in a few weeks.

-A Tribetastic Creation

01-29-10, 09:57 AM (EST)
20. "Pictures"
I made this last night-it was pretty quick and easy. I had forgotten that Mississippi Mud Cake wasn't a "traditional" tall and fluffy cake, and was almost more like a raised bar.

I cut a piece and shared some bites with Nolay this morning. It was very good and moist. Changes I made: I realized I didn't have any cocoa powder, so I cut the butter and substituted with unsweetened baking squares. I also didn't add nuts to the frosting. Nolay only marginally likes pecans in things and will barely tolerate coconut.

I agree with Seanna, it's very, very sweet and wonder if one could successfully cut 1/2 c. sugar out.

This would be great to bring to a potluck. Cut the pieces small! And don't have this for dessert after making one of the cream heavy recipes on OTCC.

Thanks, moley!

-A Tribetastic Creation

02-27-10, 01:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "Better late than never!!!!!!"

I am making this for a potluck party we are invited to tonight.

We have some serious chocoholic/sweet tooths, so I am sure this will go over very well.

And yeah me! -- I have really bad luck with cakes, but I am getting over my cake anxiety and will make this recipe for the first time for the party tonight. No pressure, Moley!~

Pad Thai coming up soon, then just have to find a butcher since our safeway doesn't carry beef ribs and I will be all caught up.

02-28-10, 06:13 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Better late than never!!!!!!"
Absolutely Heavenly. It was a big hit at the party. I hope you can forgive me, but littlest DD insisted it needed sprinkles. I'll be back to post a picture soon -- our camera seems to have walked off. Thanks Moley!

02-28-10, 07:40 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Better late than never!!!!!!"
I agree with DD, I think everything is better with sprinkles.

-A Tribetastic Creation

03-02-10, 02:13 AM (EST)
24. "RE: Better late than never!!!!!!"

And in honor of Mr. Molaholic's profession

CONCLUSION
In conclusion, I really liked this recipe and I learned alot.

--------------

It was really good. Really, really good. We all loved the texture and the coconut. I didn't add nuts because of allergy concerns, so I threw in a handful of chocolate chips instead. And like I posted before, my daughter insisted that it needed sprinkles (I thought the confetti variety would be better, bcause the smaller kind would give a crunchiness that would detract from the luxuriousness).

I couldn't quite do the swirly marshmallow/chocolate icing thing, but it turned out really well keeping the layers separate.

Next time I make it for potluck, I will make it in a disposable aluminum pan. I made it in my pampered chef stoneware (and it turned out wonderfully!) but I had to transfer it because I was concerned that the stoneware would keep the cake too warm and continue to bake it and that if we had to leave early, it would be hard to get my pan back.

Other things I learned while making this
1. 1 TBSP of cocoa only has 20 Calories and 10% of your daily recommended allowance of iron. So this dessert is very, very healthy!
2. margarine, water and paper fibers from a Dr. Suess book are very effective at plugging the bathroom sink.
3. in an older house with wooden cabinetry, when said cabinetry gets flooded with water, the drawers can swell so much that they become impossible to open.
4. cantalopes don't bounce no matter how many times you try
5. an 11 year old can't be trusted to keep her brother out of trouble for 15 minutes if there are any Mediator books around.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •