The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Players, The Game, The Editing - Survivor Cagayan"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

VerucaSalt 1580 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

02-24-14, 12:37 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Players, The Game, The Editing - Survivor Cagayan"

Well this is not exactly a novel method. Big Brother had a similar social experiment and ironically the cute but not so bright girl won. Perhaps too many brains or the overload of brawn makes for self-destruction? I was actually more interested in categorizing our prior winners just to see where they may have been slotted:

Perhaps you have a difference of opinion but it does seem that good combination of brawn and brains may be the winning ticket.

Richard - Brains
Tina - Brains
Ethan - Slotted for all three possibly (but beauty the least/athletics certainly helped)
Vecepia Brains
Brian - Slotted for all three possibly (but his brains certainly had him slither ahead over the other)
Jenna - Beauty
Sandra - Brains
Amber - Beauty/Brains (Her beauty certainly helped in snaring the man who was prominent in her success. Smart cookie that took also!)
Chris - Brains
Tom - Brains and brawn
Danni - Slotted for all three possibly.
Aras - Brawn and beauty (I'm a little hesitant to attribute smarts on him per se)
Yul - Brawn/brains
Earl - Brawn/brains
Todd - Brains
Parvati - Beauty (and then brains helped with that)
Bob - Brains
JT Thomas - Brawn with some beauty
Sandra (Brains)
Jud - Brawn/beauty
Rob - Slotted for all three possibly
Sophie Brains (little brawn there at times)
Kim - Slotted for all three possibly but mostly brain/brawn
Denise - Brains/brawn
Cochran - Brains
Tyson - Brains/brawn

We also have the situation of those who take their "title" too much to heart and overdose on some pressure. It would be more suggestive of the "brain" team and the "brawn" team to feel that way. Recall in Amazon how the men were assured to win, they were over confident and to be best by women was very demoralizing. The smart team could easily fall apart should they be defeated in a challenge that they are confident they should win. With the brawn team, this would equate to the same principle. Imagine a grueling physical challenge and those smaller and weaker win. These types of situations can make or break a tribe.

Ironically, the "beauty" team may have the least amount of pressure and not battle amongst each other as much (although beauty competition can rear its ugly head as well).

Since there are no returning players, we can trust that the "star struck" quality they seem to elicit from new players won't give anyone an unfair advantage.

My thought process entering into this season is actually more about the category than the actual contestants. If you would be so kind as to post the players and where you think they may actually fall or fail brains does not necessarily mean smart we know)perhaps a nice theory of winning strategy can be determined.

Naturally throwing two professional sports involved people in the mix may or may not cause an issue.

I will be adding some additional thoughts on these players but I welcome the psychological aspect many of you can provide.

Obviously,appearances can be deceiving but there are some contestants that at first glance may give off that danger of being early game vibe either due to age, personality, etc.

The brainy women may have some opposition. We live in a society where some smart men don't want a smart woman telling them what to do and there are some very smart women who feel they need to be pushy to show how smart they are.

This goes along with brawny men. We have seen athletic men either bond where they think they should let the less athletic go or egos collide and they try to "out brawn" each other.

We always know the male/female issue is a possibility as well. Will the men try to eliminate the women and snare up one female to help with that cause? Will the women say the men will pick us off if we don't do something?

Should there be information on hidden idols, final two or three and the like, please feel free to post that here. Other than sourced information, all the speculation based on known information shown within the context of the show is very welcome.

Enjoy!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit... b1whois 02-26-14 1
 RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit... Flowerpower1 02-27-14 2
 Ep 1 tribephyl 02-28-14 3
   RE: Ep 1 PepeLePew13 02-28-14 4
   RE: Ep 1 michel2 03-01-14 5
       RE: Ep 1 Flowerpower1 03-28-14 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

b1whois 126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

02-26-14, 05:41 PM (EST)
1. "RE: The Players, The Game, The Editing - Survivor Cagayan"
wow, i cant believe no one has commented here yet. Something that I think will be part of this season's theme will be showing that the winners will be a mix of the three qualities. not a pure example of one trait.

Flowerpower1 4375 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

02-27-14, 10:54 AM (EST)
2. "RE: The Players, The Game, The Editing - Survivor Cagayan"
HELLO VERUCA! Always such a pleasure to see you at the start of every season. As always you are so astute with your comments and pre-game assessments. This season the producers and EPMB are running an experiment, and we are going to be hit over the head with it the entire season, I am afraid.

The first episode was a pretty good one, and one that dealt a few surprises, at least for me. It certainly lived up to the producers expectations in that it served up some irony and some Karma to boot...literally and figuratively.

But, while I won't go in to who got all the confessionals and who didn't, (but, I am reminded that the winner of last season, Tyson, had a very benign first episode regarding confessionals, yet had a strong presence on screen), I will note how ironic is was that the Brain tribe approached the show knowing that they were labeled the Brains of the group, and I do think they underestimated their competition, and they overestimated each other, namely J'Tia. How ironic that they lost both challenges on the puzzle portion of the challenge, the one portion that they were expected to excel at.

I'm afraid that the brain tribe did validate a horrible stereotype, that while they have a high IQ, they have no social skills or "street smarts". J'Tia was an atrocity, horrible at puzzles, giving all nuclear engineers a horrible representation, extremely bossy and condescending to her tribe, and finally someone who in her anger acted horribly impulsively and selfishly and extremely destructively and dumped all their rice. Talk about self destructing, not only herself, but her entire tribe. UGH. Now, that's what I call using your brains....NOT!

Kass has no filter. While I found her candor amusing, it's not going to win her the game of Survivor. Tasha wants to be the leader, why not her? Spencer is at least quick witted, but really, they are all narsicisstic (sp?), imo.

Over at the Beauty tribe, they are seemingly the ones that have the most to prove, and so far they are patting themselves on the back feeling cockey that they are winning handily over the Brain tribe. They also exemplified that underlying theme that there is more to people than just their label as they showed that they do have brains and got fire handily. Alexis told us about their success. Morgan, as the one labeled the weakest chose selfishly also, like Garrett, to go after the HII to help herself over helping her tribe. But, proving that she doesn't have much upstairs in comparison to the others that found their idols, she didn't find hers. She's a hot girl with a grudge. So far, LJ strikes me as formidable on that tribe, the others, not so much.

Then, the Brawn tribe, the one tribe that picked the weak link, and Trish confirms that she understood why, the oldest, smallest, weakest physically, yet still chose to help her tribe. I feel like this one decision could impact the rest of her game. Already, I feel like Trish will be an end game player. Just on the events that occured in the first moments of this game. In contrast, we saw that Garrett choosing to be selfish and self absorbed already is out. The other one that is a marked man, imo, is Tony. Tony is selfish, he commented that Trish is a sweetheart but I would have not made the same choice, then we see him finding the HII. He lied to Sarah, then we see him confessing for next week. I see Tony as a marked man.

I also really like Sarah. She's perceptive, and very sharp at puzzles, and she's astute socially. I enjoyed Cliff and Woo, Batman and Robin, but they didn't seem to have much substance at this point....which could be okay.

Biggest thing I am taking away from this episode: Karma is a b!tch, but let's see what the Brains can do with a new leader, Tasha. I am disappointed that David went first, I thought he was a good leader, very reassuring and positive and had a classy exit. I would have liked to have seen him play. I also feel like the folks that chose to go after the HII above anything in lieu of helping the team/tribe will fall short, while the one girl that chose for the good of the tribe will win out in the long run.

Conflicts arising: J'Tia vs everyone, Tony vs. Cliff, Sarah vs. Tony, Trish vs. Lindsay, Brice vs. Jefra, Morgan vs. LJ...to name a few.

Also, interesting to note that the first two boots were male...makes me wonder if a female will win this season?

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-28-14, 00:34 AM (EST)
3. "Ep 1"
2 hours, 1 episode. 2 boots, a few remarkable players.

Overall, while split into high-school age clicques... Survivor has always been about the balance between physical, strategic and social. OutPlay, OutWit, OutLast.
The winner, as even suggested by JP himself, will encompass all three attributes.

So who are the triple threats this season?

Tribally split...
Solana:
There are triple threats here...
LJ, Alexis, Morgan and Jefra all stand out.
LJ is (so far) the narrator of the tribe. (Mid-Game at least)
Morgan is part of the story line for early game. With LJ being her adversary it's clear who will be her early target.
Jefra is also part of the early storyline. Being the tribal 'Omega' has benefits, though.
IMO, Jefra will last longer than Morgan.
Morgan is trying to take over the tribe, Jefra is just trying to fit in.
On the alternative hand... Brice, Alexis and Jeremiah are the filler. (2 of 3 could make it to merge but they won't really contribute to overall storyline.)

Aparri:
Every one of them shows signs of possessing all three disciplines.
If anything, Tony has shown less than the rest BUT he has an idol. The great unequalizer.
If they go to TC, as a tribe, look for a power player to be the first boot. Sarah or Cliff, IMO. (Or even a too cocky Tony.)
Woo has journey player written all over him.
Lindsey has short term (vs Trish) story.
Trish has actual long-term story though.
I don't expect Aparri to see TC for a couple more episodes, but by then, they will be willing to split apart.

Luzon:
Already down two members... but from the storyline, Kass and Tasha are game standouts.
Meanwhile, J'Tia is the absolute wildcard. As of this moment, with all of her antics, JTia has cemented an F2 goat-position.
If J'Tia can outtalk, or perhaps back-stab her F2, she could win.
Strangely, Kass seems to be the narrator for Luzon and it speaks to her ability to play the underdog, extremely well.
Tasha, while a personal favorite, and is the closest on the brains tribe to being a triple-threat, will be outplayed, I fear.
Spencer is too elitist to make a real play after the last TC. I expect him to go soon.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-28-14, 11:59 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Ep 1"
Terrific analysis and I don't see much reason to disagree with your views.

As for Aparri, I am in agreement that a power player has to be the first to go with the teeth-baring catfights and the testosterone-dripping alpha-male/omega-female posturing going on in that tribe -- the first boot will be one of the three ladies or Tony as something has to give amongst these four. The safest in that tribe for now are Woo and Cliff as they don't make anyone else feel threatened. Trish/Sarah/Lindsey already have had conflicts with each other and Tony will show Sarah he cannot be fully trusted with his initial denials and then opening up as seen in next week's previews. Lindsey seems to be the odd person out with the questioning of her work ethic from Episode 1, so I'll project her as the first tribal boot.

First boot from Solana: Morgan or Brice.
Next boot from Luzon: Any of these four could be the next to go for various reasons; complete toss-up.

michel2 4533 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

03-01-14, 07:48 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Ep 1"
I don't see things the same way so it should make for an interesting season. I invite you to read my thoughts.

Our biggest differnece concerns LJ who only had 2 confessionals and both were about Morgan. He`s an antagonist, not a narrator. Alexis was the narrator in episode 1 but she disappeared in episode 2 so it's hard to classify her.

Flowerpower1 4375 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-28-14, 08:29 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Ep 1"
LAST EDITED ON 03-28-14 AT 08:39 AM (EST)

Hi michel, I wanted to respond to your thoughts of LJ as an antagonist. I don't see him that way at all, in fact, I think he has "legs", as Veruca used to say. LJ was indeed downplayed in episode one, just as Tyson was.

But, he continues to make smart moves and he keeps it all to himself. He found the idol without any clues and swore to keep it to himself....really smart. He luckily escaped the first TC after the tribes were dissolved to 2. Clearly, Trish and Tony made him feel comfortable enough. We saw him bond to Trish, but not to Tony....possibly alliances revealed don't make it to fruition but those that are hidden....food for thought?

Then the big thing I took away from the last episode was when Tony came clean about his lie, he's not in construction but he's a police officer. As wise ol' LJ noted that "Tony tried to get in with us by confessing his lies...different". At least it was something like that, then LJ noted that Tony was really smart and that he'd have to keep an eye on him.

It clearly made me feel like LJ will at least one up Tony. IMO, LJ is making the best moves of the game so far. We have seen him triumph at challenges again and again, last week he beat Sarah at the puzzle. So, clearly he's a challenge threat to win the game. We saw him escape the first eviction from his tribe, narrowly when Jeremiah decided to vote out Brice. We saw him narrowly escape eviction again when he didn't play his idol when nuSolana went to TC. We saw him find an HII left to his own devices and then choose the smart option of NOT sharing the information.

So far, I think LJ has the best edit of all, and if I had to pick a winner at this point, it would be him. I haven't ever really seen him as an antagonist, nor a narrator.

Food for thought.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •