The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"That old million-dollar quote."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-15-08, 01:46 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"That old million-dollar quote."
So --

-- well --

-- did we even have one?

Jeff handed one out: in the EW preview, he said Bob was the best-equipped person for the game. And surprise: the person best-equipped for the game wound up winning the thing. (Gee, that's rare. But can anyone remember anything Bob said on-camera early on that pointed to his ultimately taking the title?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: That old million-dollar quote. KObrien_fan 12-15-08 1
 RE: That old million-dollar quote. byoffer 12-16-08 2
   RE: That old million-dollar quote. suzzee 12-16-08 6
 RE: That old million-dollar quote. kingfish 12-16-08 3
   RE: That old million-dollar quote. byoffer 12-16-08 4
       RE: That old million-dollar quote. kingfish 12-16-08 5
           RE: That old million-dollar quote. LFJ 12-16-08 10
       RE: That old million-dollar quote. Q 12-16-08 7
           RE: That old million-dollar quote. kingfish 12-16-08 8
 RE: That old million-dollar quote. CTgirl 12-16-08 9
   RE: That old million-dollar quote. Outfrontgirl 12-17-08 11
       RE: That old million-dollar quote. kingfish 12-18-08 12
       RE: That old million-dollar quote. CTgirl 12-18-08 15
 RE: That old million-dollar quote. SpotTheDifference 12-18-08 13
   RE: That old million-dollar quote. kingfish 12-18-08 14
 RE: That old million-dollar quote. Ahtumbreez 01-15-09 16
   RE: That old million-dollar quote. flystorms 02-11-09 18
 RE: That old million-dollar quote. Sunny_Bunny 01-16-09 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-08, 01:51 PM (EST)
1. "RE: That old million-dollar quote."
He didn't say much of anything in that regard until late in the game, but...

In episode 1 he was the first player shown walking across the field and was highlighted by the camera alot. In the first scene at his tribe camp it was Bob lifted up by the tribe to fix the roof of the camp hut and several were seen cheering him on, Sugar was one of those cheerleaders. When he got down from the roof Ace had him on his shoulders like you would lift a victorius player and he had his hands raised up and all were cheering for Bob and his work to which Corrine (of all people) said in confessional "Bob is awesome"

I'm not sure who came first hosting games, you or Tribe, but you are both nefarious! - CTGirl

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

12-16-08, 08:58 AM (EST)
2. "RE: That old million-dollar quote."
I don't think it came early in the season, but several times Bob did say that he was "the luckiest man in Gabon". And how.

suzzee 5961 desperate attention whore postings

12-16-08, 01:19 PM (EST)
6. "RE: That old million-dollar quote."
I think that's the Bob version of the million dollar quote. His wife may have said something like that on her family visit. I should have gone with my gut on hearing that because that's the first thing I thought when I heard that.

Bob's age & maturity would keep him from saying something too presumptuous, it's like a bad karma thing but being the luckiest man in Gabon was as close as he'll get and each time he said those words he really was. I hope production wasn't waiting for a lot of gushing at the fan favorite win, I think Bob was in shock.

Here comes suzzee snowflake thanks Tribey

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

12-16-08, 09:12 AM (EST)
3. "RE: That old million-dollar quote."
To cover all bases, I think they include a clip from just about everyone that can be said to be a winning quote. After the happy (for EPMB) occurance of Hatch's quote, it became a feature that they try to manufacture.

I guess they could peek into the jar, but unless the editors do that, they don't know who wins till the LA reveal, so during the editing process they won't know which winning quotes to include.

I also think they use pseudo-winning quotes to throw us spoilers off.

I actually think the cameraman tries to solicit winning qoutes, maybe with questions like "So, what would you say your chances are here in (Wherever)?", or maybe "So, do you think you can win this thing?" in early confessionals.

Haven't most of the past "winning quotes" come in confessionals? I think this year, Bob's victory surprised the heck out of the producers.

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

12-16-08, 11:14 AM (EST)
4. "RE: That old million-dollar quote."
I don't for a second believe that "they" don't look into the cookie jar before the final reveal. I think that a small group of production staff know the result shortly after the votes are cast. And I think they do try to edit the season based on that. Hard as it might have been, I think that they would have given Susie a lot more (and better) footage if she had actually won. It would be bad for the show if someone with a total wallflower (not our Wallflower!) edit like Susie had actually won.

I thought you were more skeptical than to believe in secret ballots.

12-16-08, 11:55 AM (EST)
5. "RE: That old million-dollar quote."
Yeah, you got me. That does contradict my claim to being generally critical of stuff like that.

Jeff's body language made me think he actually didn't know the results before hand. He made a point of sneaking a peek after all but one of the votes were read to see if there was a tie. I don't know if he would have been up to that level of deception if he had known beforehand the results. And I tend to think that if anyone peeked, he would know. But from what I've read (here, maybe?) someone from the production staff does look at the weekly TC results after the vote and arranges them so that the reveal is dramatic. So maybe someone did the same for the final reveal. The temptation would be there for the producers to maximize show interest by manipulating what ever they could.

But with all the footage that is shot, and all the confessionals that are not shown, to try and get winning quotes from all of the castaways, or maybe just those that Jeff and Co. think have a chance to win for later use when doing the editing wouldn't be hard to do either.

One thing that indicats this is that they really didn't have a bona fide winning quote from Bob. The "I'm the luckiest man in Gabon" is as close to that as they have. I think they just didn't bother with him, because, who seriously would have picked him at the beginning of this season? Old people tend to exit early (with exceptions), so I think the producers discounted his chances and didn't bother to ask him the leading questions necessary for a winning quote.

To believe that the production crew didn't peek is kinda naive, though.

LFJ 363 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

12-16-08, 05:39 PM (EST)
10. "RE: That old million-dollar quote."
Believing the votes are not tallied before we see what production does with them is a bit of a stretch.

I am familiar with the term "sealed indictment", wherein a person is indictd for a crime by a Grand Jury, but the indictment is not read (ha ha). Even the indictee and his/her attorney cannot find out about the indictment, but somehow, the Press can.

That, like a lot of American "folklore" is something we are "supposed" to believe. It makes the show more fun. Personally, I strongly doubt that anything is sealed to the extent that it is not leaked.

Unless we (the audience) see something with our own eyes in real time, we have only the editors to rely upon to do a good and true job for us.

Q 2569 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

12-16-08, 02:45 PM (EST)
7. "RE: That old million-dollar quote."
Jeff has stated in the past that producers WATCH the voting and then tell him how to arrange the votes during the reveal for the most dramatic effect. Meaning, so they don't vote someone out without any other votes for others being read.

So after the 7 moron jury members cast their votes, the producers knew EXACTLY who won.

It is astonishing how foolish humans can be in groups, especially when they follow their leaders without question - States: The Bene Gesserit View. All States Are an Abstraction.

12-16-08, 03:46 PM (EST)
8. "RE: That old million-dollar quote."
LAST EDITED ON 12-16-08 AT 03:47 PM (EST)

That was for the regular eviction votes. Or has he also said they watch the final vote? They (and everybody else) watch the eviction votes, and I thought that that was what was being referred to when they talked about arranging the order.

But I thought the last vote was in supposedly in secret and kept in a sealed container, as opposed to the other TC's when all of the votes were more open. Or, as in the case of Crystal's vote for Randy, were actually broadcast to anyone within earshot.

Someday, when they make a documentary on the phenomenon of Survivor, maybe they will come clean then with all of the production minutia, including how Spoilers affected their editing.

CTgirl 8013 desperate attention whore postings

12-16-08, 05:23 PM (EST)
9. "RE: That old million-dollar quote."
Actually I think the million dollar quote came when Bob agree to give Randy the fake idol and he said to Sugar, "you better make it worth my while." And Sugar told him he was awesome and, "Trust me, I will make it worth your while!"

Dash Away by Agman - bobbled by Tribe

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

12-17-08, 03:52 PM (EST)
11. "RE: That old million-dollar quote."
If you go back to the first million dollar quote, which was Hatch, you can read in Burnett's book "Survivor" that he was torn on whether to include it, because he didn't want to give away the ending.

At that time, Burnett himself was making the editing decisions. They were putting the rough edits of the episodes together while on the shoot. Which I imagine they still do ... not that they don't add other footage after the fact.

Burnett gave interviews during the Outback stating that the final vote had been recorded by a remote-controlled camera so that no crew would see it. He also stated that he found it too nerve-wracking to edit the show knowing the outcome, that he wanted to try editing the show without knowing which of the F2 was the winner. (Could that be why Tina was hidden and Colby was featured, because they thought Colby was a lock for the votes?)

Whatever, he claimed right up to the Outback Finale broadcast that the results were only opened a couple days before the reveal and by only those who absolutely had to know in order to edit the TC footage, plus himself, Jeff, and Les Moonves.

Well, that was a long time and 15 seasons ago, and I kind of think it was a one time thing, never really got talked about again. They also tried hard in the first seasons to keep jurors from comparing notes ... but really it's not practical. By the time All Stars came around, the players were going home and talking pretty freely ...

as far as "the million dollar quote" as a spoiler pattern, the "tradition" started by Hatch was that the person who said they would win in Episode 1 actually did win.

Back when Hatch was doing it, most of the people there were caught up in the experience much more than the game. These days it's SOP for a reality contestant to announce they have what it takes to win before they start out. Usually it's more ironic than anything else.

12-18-08, 09:02 AM (EST)
12. "RE: That old million-dollar quote."
Thanks OFG, that backs up some of my thoughts and straightens me out on some others. From all of that I assume it's become customary for the producers to try and get winning quotes from all of the likely winners, if not all from the whole cast before the first TC. It’s got to have a positive effect on the viewership to have a ‘Million Dollar Quote’ hidden in the first episode.

If I had known that that book existed, I would have requested it from OT SS.

CTgirl 8013 desperate attention whore postings

12-18-08, 01:51 PM (EST)
15. "RE: That old million-dollar quote."
Thanks OFG. I always enjoy your insight into the game.

I made my comment partly tongue-in-cheek. It would make sense that there is no million dollar quote this year because Bob wasn't even thinking about trying to win in episode one. He was just there for the experience - which turned into quite the winning experience!

SpotTheDifference 949 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

12-18-08, 11:37 AM (EST)
13. "RE: That old million-dollar quote."
The thing about the million-dollar quote, IMO, is that we can just compile some good quotes about a lot of people in the game, and based on the winner, pick one out of the quotes we've compiled.

I remember Kenny and Matty having some good quotes about winning the million dollars, or about Gabon being Eden or some such. Had either of them won, we could just pick the Kenny or the Matty quote and say that it's "the" million-dollar quote.

That said, Bob, during his first time in exile, had a great helicopter shot of him at the edge of a plateau, along with a quote I don't really remember, which has been compared to Earl's "King of Fiji" quote.

12-18-08, 12:58 PM (EST)
14. "RE: That old million-dollar quote."
That's what was tying my thinking up, too.

But, OFG correctly points out that to be a Million dollar quote per the Hatch example, it would come in the first episode. Maybe we can expand that to include pre-castaway interviews or maybe quotes from Jeff at that time?

And frankly, I wasn't looking for one then. If I had recorded it I could look back thru it and see what Bob said at that time.

If we aren't confined to the first episode, then what Bob said when exiled would have to be it. That was a dramatic shot, and as I recall, it had to have been taken from a helicopter.

I wonder if Hatch is out of jail yet.

Tribe

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

01-15-09, 11:54 AM (EST)
16. "RE: That old million-dollar quote."
I don't know about last season but we may already have a million dollar quote for Tocatin:

Jerry proudly proclaims, “I am physically fit, I am mentally strong and I’m ready for the million.”
http://tocantins.survivor.com/

Agman took me to the islands

flystorms 212 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

02-11-09, 08:42 AM (EST)
18. "RE: That old million-dollar quote."
Yup I heard that too and jumped right on it. He's my office pool pick to win it all. (fingers crossed)

Sunny_Bunny 5597 desperate attention whore postings

01-16-09, 09:29 AM (EST)
17. "RE: That old million-dollar quote."
For me, it was not any "winners quote" that I heard.

It was the shots of Bob walking and surveying the Savannah beneath him that gave it away. I remember Brian saying to me "there's a hero shot if I ever saw one Mum." I laughed and said that it pretty much clinched it for me too.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •