The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Why the Rupert hype?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

KeithFan 7422 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-10-03, 10:33 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Why the Rupert hype?"
I've just seen the preview of the "America's Favorite Survivor" again and it got me wondering- why hype 1 person so much?

I can't remember MB every doing this to such a degree, and I can't imagine them doing it if he is voted out this week or even next- who would want to watch the rest of the season?

Despite the Mrs. Rupert spoiler, I think RB is the bearded man in the F3. I don't think MB would blow off this season to hype the ASS.

The other possibility is that no other cast off stands out. People will watch if they really like or really dislike a player, and I think people would watch just to bash Jon. Sandra is full of 1-liners, and Lil, love her or hate her is an interesting character.

With this much hype, Rupert has to make it to the final episode. IMHO.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Why the Rupert hype? I_AM_HE 11-10-03 1
   RE: Why the Rupert hype? KeithFan 11-10-03 3
 RE: Why the Rupert hype? NTK 11-10-03 2
   Here is the quote anninvt2002 11-10-03 4
       RE: Here is the quote NTK 11-10-03 16
 RE: Why the Rupert hype? mistofleas 11-10-03 5
 RE: Why the Rupert hype? jkokoj 11-10-03 6
   RE: Why the Rupert hype? 1unatic 11-10-03 7
       RE: Why the Rupert hype? coolflowerpowerman 11-10-03 14
 RE: Why the Rupert hype? badger 11-10-03 8
   RE: Why the Rupert hype? Brownroach 11-10-03 9
 RE: Why the Rupert hype? true 11-10-03 10
   RE: Why the Rupert hype? ElroyJetson 11-10-03 11
   RE: Why the Rupert hype? PepeLePew13 11-10-03 12
       RE: Why the Rupert hype? dabo 11-11-03 17
 RE: Why the Rupert hype? IslandFever 11-10-03 13
   RE: Why the Rupert hype? 1unatic 11-11-03 18
 RE: Why the Rupert hype? pdragonfly 11-10-03 15
 Wrong Again IslandFever 11-12-03 19
   RE: Wrong Again KeithFan 11-12-03 20

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings

11-10-03, 10:35 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Why the Rupert hype?"
LAST EDITED ON 11-10-03 AT 10:36 AM (EST)

i disagree. if rupert is leaving soon, they want to get as many people (esp. rupert fans) watching as possible, and hope they are hooked for the rest of the series, so it would make perfect sense for them to hype it up to get them while rupert is still around (edit: this is not to say rupert won't make final 3, because it is certainly possible, but i'm not betting on it)

11-10-03, 10:56 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Why the Rupert hype?"
You may be right HE, the "milk it for what it's worth" theory may be the correct one (and favored by most here). I do know, however, that if I was a new fan of Survivor, watching because of the Rupert hype, I probably wouldn't pay too much attention to it after he was gone.

NTK 109 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-10-03, 10:40 AM (EST)
2. "RE: Why the Rupert hype?"
I'm torn because I really want Rupert to stay so I look for "any" clue to help that along.

But, does anyone else remember reading that the bearded man was physically fit? I think I saw that somewhere, but can't remember where.

anninvt2002 86 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-10-03, 11:13 AM (EST)
4. "Here is the quote"
Here is the original quote from sucks form Panamavacation. It says nothing about being "fit".

The only reason I hadn't mentioned the F2 descriptions yet were because I wanted to see if this shopping trip was true. I realize that this person could have no idea what he was talking about, or that he outright lied to me. I just didn't want to tell all that I knew, and then be wrong and make a fool of myself here. I know how this board works. But fine, I'll tell you. I only heard that the F2 were women. One older, one younger. I have no idea what "older" and "younger" are. We all know that some women tend to look older after spending 30+ days out there. I also heard that the last one kicked off before the F2 was a man with a beard. Again, yes, I know there are not enough details here to convince most people on this board. But it's all I know.

NTK 109 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-10-03, 11:32 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Here is the quote"
Thanks I did finally find what I had read and it was about the "ghosts" returning to the game. Doh.

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings

11-10-03, 11:22 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Why the Rupert hype?"
There are several reasons to hype Rupert.

1) He's the first Survivor we've had in a long time that while gruff and at odds with your standard "pretty person" castaways of past episodes, he's your prototypical pirate;

2) He's enjoying his island paradise. He's there for the adventure BUT he's also playing the game. He's friendly with everyone, he knows how to draw people to him while still keeping control of his game and manipulate others into following him; and

C) Even if he's going before the F4 or F3 MB will want to maintain an interest in Rupert because he's going to be on ASS. There are enough people rooting for Rupert to win that if/when he goes they'll remember him for a long time and be very excited when they see he's given another chance on ASS.

MB has his dream survivor in Rupert. He's gonna milk it for all it's worth.

--needs more coffee and a nap

jkokoj 4389 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

11-10-03, 11:38 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Why the Rupert hype?"
I don't think Rupert is going any where. I think he is our F3 male with the beard. I think Rupert is in plain site. Almost every week I find that everyone is looking for a way to boot Rupert but keep failing.

I think Jon and Burton will try to overthrow Rupert but it will not happen. I cannot recall when we have had a fan favorite win survivor. MB is hyping this one up all the way for rating and to get everyone excited for Allstars, the "jump the shark" show for surivior.

1unatic 47 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

11-10-03, 01:00 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Why the Rupert hype?"
There is also the fact that rupert is the only one from S7 on all- stars. You'd think that if he didn't finish in the final 3 they would also put on someone who did.

coolflowerpowerman 456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-10-03, 10:42 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Why the Rupert hype?"
The fact he's on all-stars is not necessarily an indicator that Rupert reaches the F4...

The cast of all-stars looks to be a compilation of the more "interesting" characters from Survivors past and present.

Survivor Thailand's only representative, Shii Ann, came in 10th place.

If they simply chose someone who made the final four, Helen or Granny Jan would be on All-Stars instead.

So... Rupert is quite possibly an early or mid-jury boot.

badger 1273 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

11-10-03, 01:08 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Why the Rupert hype?"
rupert has had remarkable popularity, since the first pictures were released for this season. i think MB is latching on to an obvious "good thing" in order to gain as many viewers as possible.

Rupert's popularity, not his success in S7, are the reasons for his being cast in ASS, methinks. i don't believe the plans were originally to even have anyone from S7.

MB is hoping all this rupert-hype will spill over into next season. rupert is leaving next week (yeah, i'll come right out and say it), and fans will be disappointed. but what better way to lure people into watching him AGAIN in the ASS?!

It is very important to remember that ASS is going up against the Friends Finale. i think MB and CBS want to do everything in their power to win this timeslot, and rupert is the key.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

11-10-03, 01:21 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Why the Rupert hype?"
Rupert's popularity, not his success in S7, are the reasons for his being cast in ASS, methinks. i don't believe the plans were originally to even have anyone from S7.

Thank you, badger. I completely concur with this.

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

11-10-03, 01:50 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Why the Rupert hype?"
This weeks hype is very similar to the hype given to Rob M., the week prior to his booting in S4. Remember all those Godfather-type promos? MB is gonna milk Rupert and his popularity for all it's worth, before he goes next week.

ElroyJetson 586 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

11-10-03, 03:11 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Why the Rupert hype?"
This weeks hype is very similar to the hype given to Rob M., the week prior to his booting in S4. Remember all those Godfather-type promos? MB is gonna milk Rupert and his popularity for all it's worth, before he goes next week.

You beat me to the punch True!

PepeLePew13 26135 desperate attention whore postings

11-10-03, 03:35 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Why the Rupert hype?"
Bingo. We got the Godfather promos for the episode a week before the Robfather got booted -- likewise, I think we're getting the same treatment for Rupert. Hype him up for this week and then he goes next week.

After Ryno (presumably) goes this week, it becomes a 5-3 margin for the Drakes in terms of old tribal lines, and it makes sense to remove the strongest threat still in the game -- either Burton or Rupert. Looks like it's Burton that likely gets II since I can't see the others supporting a ghost over a guy like Rupert so soon after the ghosts got back into the game.

Heidi: My biggest assets to the tribe are my athletic skills and my intelligence. I've lost one of them.
Jiffy: Which one?

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-03, 09:10 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Why the Rupert hype?"
If Rupert gets booted before the F4 then he won't be available for television appearances, chats and such. Thanksgiving week would be perfect placement for his being booted then, the holiday interferance would most likely prevent the bootie from doing the rounds anyway. If he doesn't go that week then I expect he will make F4.

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

IslandFever 205 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

11-10-03, 10:15 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Why the Rupert hype?"
I also believe that Rupert is the bearded man in the F3. I think Mr. 411 is setting us up for a fall. Rhino probably will go next but Rupert is MB's ace in the hole this season. From the beginning from Snewser's chirp that Rupert's tribe had no trouble voting him out, and then to the Mrs. Rupert family visit rumor and the Mr.411, it all is carefully fabricated to protect the fact that Rupert goes far and boosts ratings besides.

1unatic 47 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

11-11-03, 04:52 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Why the Rupert hype?"
I agree with this. Plus there's a conversation on sucks about the final 3 spoiler possibly not being true.

pdragonfly 318 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

11-10-03, 10:45 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Why the Rupert hype?"
Sorry, I don't agree.

If your reasoning held firm, then Rob would have made it in Surivor Amazon and not Jen.

Cathy would have made it in Survivor Thailand instead of Vecepia.

Rupert puts on a GREAT show. He's made the Pirate adventure. MB would be foolish not to use him. Very few people have put on a good show. Well Osten was great to "tee hee" at, and Jon makes you want to turn the channel.

Of course there's always Ryan O. We could tune in each week to see if he finally caught a fish.

Nah, it would be just another Surivor Africa. A snooze fest.

IslandFever 205 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

11-12-03, 06:49 PM (EST)
19. "Wrong Again"
Well I'm wrong again. Both Snews and TDT have dropped Rupert down on their lists of the survivables. This spells death to poor Rupert. Looks like Blackbeard may be the 2nd member of the jury. And maybe SDT wins the whole thing?

11-12-03, 06:56 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Wrong Again"
I have since seen the light also... I'm thinking STD (oops) SDT too.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •