The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Teresa and Immunity"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

red 140 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-30-01, 04:24 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Teresa and Immunity"
Here's something I've been thinking about since re-watching the Thanksgiving show:

At Tribal Council (before editing approaches had been decided) Jeff makes a point of saying to clarence and Teresa that clearly immunity meant more for them than it did for the others. And that's a very good point, since the challenge was something that the WILL to win is most important aspect of winning.

Another point is that immunity (especially this early in merged tribe) is not necessarily a good thing to have if you dont' need it. If you're smart, you realize it marks you as a target. So the question is - is Teresa just too dumb to realize this (possible) or did she honestly fear that she needed immunity? Eg. if Clarence won - did she have reason to think she'd be the next choice?

I think this is possible for the same reasons we picked Teresa to go if the tribes didn't merge. With fear of delayed merge, and Boran facing possible Tribal Council, she may have realized she was their next target and took this fear with her into the immunity challenge.

I bring this up because, one of the most surprising aspects of Teresa winning immunity for the viewing audience was, not only did we not realize her capable, but we didn't think she needed it. But I believe she either did something really stupid ( and put herself through quite a bit of torture unnecessarily) or in fact she did need it - as Jeff suggested at the following tribal council.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Teresa and Immunity MDSkinner 11-30-01 1
 RE: Teresa and Immunity zzz 11-30-01 2
   RE: Teresa and Immunity red 11-30-01 3
       RE: Teresa and Immunity zzz 11-30-01 4
       Teresa before Frank wendyp 11-30-01 6
 RE: Teresa and Immunity Bebo 11-30-01 5
   RE: Teresa and Immunity Loree 11-30-01 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

MDSkinner 716 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

11-30-01, 04:35 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Teresa and Immunity"
Before that Immunity challenge, I did not think that Teresa needed immunity at all, and in fact I felt that she was not even close to the strongest person out of the old Samburu group. However, after that display, which was a pretty fair show of determination, I would have to argue that she is at worst the second strongest member of the old Samburu group. Frank is stronger physically, but I think that Teresa's determination might make up for her slight lack of physical shape. Also she appears to have a tremendous amount of endurance.

All that being said, I think that she is very likely to be a target at this stage. Before that challenge, I still do not think that she was, simply because the old Borans did not want to have to deal with the possibility of Clarence winning a whole lot of challenges in a row. But it is likely that she did not realize that. So she may have just screwed herself, by showing that amount of endurance and determination, and possibly setting herself up as a target from here on.

Also, that rendition of "Tomorrow" certainly could not have helped her chances either. That was just horrible.

zzz 703 desperate attention whore postings

11-30-01, 04:40 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Teresa and Immunity"
I don't think it is a simple as her either being really stupid or really needing the win. I think she knew that Boran had an advantage and that Clarence was the only Boran that might go. Thus, if Clarence got immunity someone from old Samburu would go. I think she knew this would not be to her advantage. So, in part, I think she just wanted to be sure Clarence did not win. I don't think she thought she could get Clarence to vote with old Samburu to get rid of Tom.

I think she also felt that if an old Samburu would go, it might be her. She just knew she was not completely safe, even if someone like Frank might be a bigger target. Why risk it if you can guarantee another round.

Part of it also may have just been a personal competetive nature. She realized she could win and that made her want to win. Perhaps giving into that impulse is a little dumb under the circumstances, but if she cannot get an alliance organized, it won't matter. People talk about Colleen sticking around because she was not a threat. Fine, she was around a few episodes beyond Greg, but so what. So she got a little more money; big deal. For example, if Alicia had gotten of the log sooner, she might not have gone next, but she still would not have made it to the final 3.

red 140 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-30-01, 04:55 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Teresa and Immunity"
Just as a side note, I really question how many people were in the loop that Clarence would go at the time of the immunity. Teresa might have been aware through conversations at new Boran that they really wanted to get rid of Clarence. But there was no merged tribe strategy discussion before the challenge. kelly seemed to think Frank was a possible target. As far as I can tell, the only two people who knew it would be Clarence were Ethan and Lex.

zzz, I think you're right that it was most likely misplaced competitiveness. But the point is simply that if the first vote took out a Samburu, Teresa thought she was a likely target. This just gives me a little more fuel to my Teresa goes before Frank theory, although it could be nothing. I did however, find it odd that she would fight so hard for an immunity that she apparently didnt' need.

zzz 703 desperate attention whore postings

11-30-01, 04:58 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Teresa and Immunity"
I think the point I was trying to make is that this game promotes paranoia, and Teresa seemed to be suffering from it a little. She also may have had reason to worry if it seemed to her that Frank was getting along better that she was (counter to what the show suggests--the real situation may have been different). She just could not be sure which Samburu they might choose to take out. In other words, even if she was not the most likely to go--she was on the short list (that list being the old Samburu).

wendyp 2081 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

11-30-01, 05:33 PM (EST)
6. "Teresa before Frank"
You also have to think, at this point the Boran have an advantage over the Samburu. Why not keep Frank?? He is willing to work hard at getting the water and the firewood. Right now they keep him around to help with the work and not use as much energy. Boran still has the upper hand to vote him off.

Even though everyone is against it, I do think one of the Boran will switch sides. It may not be this week, but they keep stressing how much the reunited tribe is sticking together. This to me shows that at some point there is conflict in the Boran tribe that has them vote off one of their own instead of the Samburu.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-30-01, 05:05 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Teresa and Immunity"
There are reasons that Teresa could honestly fear being the next Samburu target, because there are reasons why she would be a better choice to vote off than Frank:

- Out of the two of them, she is more likely to form a counter-alliance. Frank spends more time off to himself and was less-liked by old Samburu, so she would be perceived to have a better chance of forming another alliance. The core alliances within old Boran would rather keep old Samburu divided to protect themselves.
- She is the much bigger risk in a final 2. At this point, it looks like Frank would lose to anyone in the final jury, so he's safer to keep around.

Since that TC determined which merge member did not make the jury, none of the old Samburu could sit too comfortably. Yes, there were known reasons why Clarence would be a reasonable target. But there was also the argument that it would be worth keeping around a strong IC challenger since he was Boran.

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-30-01, 08:18 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Teresa and Immunity"
In some ways Teresa reminds me of Tina in the first merged IC. She was not at risk of being voted out. But she stayed on the post till the end. Keith had to beg her to get off. She said it was the hardest thing she did to quit because she is so competitive. I think Teresa was feeling that competitive spirit too. It was a chance to show the younger players and the male players that she was tough too. A stupid thing to show them. But also an ego thing. She has put a target on herself though. She has reminded people that she will be a player and won't be just waiting around in the background to be voted off. She plans to fight.

I think she realized if Clarence won that a Samburu was going to be voted off. We don't think it was her. But I think the players get paranoid and think everyone is lying to them and against them. We see this with Ethan. So she may have really been worried.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •