The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Les Moonves article"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

jkokoj 4389 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-17-03, 01:23 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Les Moonves article"

News

West January 15, 2003

Moonves Wary of Reality Overbite

By Cynthia Littleton

For more stories from The Hollywood Reporter Click Here

Reality TV is riding high right now, but hit-hungry broadcasters are in danger of once again oversaturating the airwaves with unscripted programs, CBS president and CEO Leslie Moonves said Monday during the network's portion of the Television Critics Assn. press tour in Hollywood.

"With the amount of reality shows announced, I'm sure (by) this spring and next fall (the networks) probably will have overdone it," Moonves said. "Everybody's looking for that quick fix, and a lot of times these shows do give you that. ... It's been an instant hit for Fox with 'American Idol' and with ABC for 'The Bachelor.' "

Moonves and CBS entertainment president Nancy Tellem emphasized that CBS has been selective about its reality development because its core schedule of comedies and dramas is generally performing well.

"We have a very balanced schedule; we're focused on building franchises," Tellem said. "With respect to Fox and ABC, they're looking much more for the quick fix. And there is an appetite out there to watch this. The question is how long."

All that said, Moonves admitted that CBS had been considering its own version of a matchmaker show a la ABC's "Bachelor" and Fox's "Joe Millionaire." And Moonves acknowledged that the network had inadvertently ruffled some feathers in rural America with its proposed "Beverly Hillbillies"-themed reality show -- in which a family from the sticks would decamp to a mansion in Beverly Hills -- but he also noted that the network has not formally greenlighted the project.

"It was not in any way, shape or form or intent to demean anybody. ... It's a show that is still very, very much in the discussion stages," Moonves said.

Overall, Moonves boasted that as the halfway point of the 2002-03 season approaches, CBS' primetime schedule is "thriving creatively and commercially" with such successful new series as "CSI: Miami," "Still Standing" and "Without a Trace." The Sunday 9-11 p.m. movie slot is among the exceptions, but Tellem vowed that the network was "committed" to maintaining longform programming in the time slot.

In other programming news from the session:

o "Survivor: The Amazon," which will divide the competitors by gender lines for the first time, will debut Feb. 13 with a 90-minute special followed by a 90-minute edition of "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation."

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Hmmm AyaK 01-17-03 1

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-17-03, 06:42 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Hmmm"
As usual, Les Moonves is right -- but I see that didn't stop him from signing up "Cupid" (another dating show, from Simon Cowell and the producers of "American Idol") as a summer replacement.

CBS has two of the top three shows in the entire reality genre: "Survivor" and "The Amazing Race" (I put "The Mole" as the third show in this troika). It also has "Big Brother," which it uses as a (very successful) summer replacement. The last thing CBS wants is the death of reality TV, because (as we all should remember these days, with the death of Maurice Gibb this week) when a genre dies, the good gets flushed away with the bad.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •