The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Celebrity Survivor - What That Really Means"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-06-02, 12:59 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Celebrity Survivor - What That Really Means"
Just found this article on the British celebrity version of the show. Given the cast of losers Fox scrounged together for their Celebrity Boot Camp, this is probably the sort of thing we'd have to...ahem...look forward to here.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/06/offbeat.britain.reality.tv.ap/index.html

Celebrity 'Survivor'? Minor names go at it in hit
Swamps, maggots, and 'micro-personalities'

LONDON, England (AP) -- A boxer, a socialite, a lesbian comedian and psychic Uri Geller sit in a jungle clearing.

It sounds like a joke. But it's a moment from Britain's latest reality TV hit.

"I'm a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here" strands eight publicity-hungry personalities in the Australian jungle, where they must survive on rice and water, contend with spiders and snakes -- and wait to be voted off, one by one, by the viewing public.

"It's very, very hard in there," former world middleweight boxing champion Nigel Benn said after he was expelled.

Like their counterparts around the world, British viewers have embraced reality TV, to the chagrin of some cultural commentators who see it as voyeurism run amok. "Big Brother," in which a group of strangers share a house under constant surveillance, has gone through three hit series and spawned a celebrity spinoff.

Among the "celebrities" on "I'm a Celebrity" are Tara Palmer-Tomkinson, a socialite famous for her partying and drug woes, and Christine Hamilton, wife of bankrupt former politician Neil Hamilton.

Few viewers would recognize all eight, who include Scottish comedian Rhona Cameron and Geller.

A columnist for The Times dismisses them as "micro-personalities."

But that misses the point, one of the show's producers says.

"Let's be honest: you're not going to get A-list celebrities to spend two weeks in the middle of the Australian jungle," said Will Smith of London Weekend Television. "The success of the format doesn't depend on whether people are A-list, B-list or whatever, but that you have a group of characters that people recognize and have an opinion about."

Though it has been called "Celebrity Survivor," the show lacks the "Survivor" emphasis on competition. There is no prize money, and most of the money raised from the telephone voting lines will be donated to charity. The final show is to be broadcast Sunday.

The contestants gain treats for the group by completing brief but icky tasks such as being showered with maggots or wading through a leech-infested swamp. Mostly they sit around the campfire, talking, bickering -- and drawing 7 million viewers a day.

Janet Jones, an academic who has studied viewers' relationship to reality shows, says many fans form real emotional attachments to the programs.

"Fans say they really get to know the people," said Jones, a lecturer in media studies at the University of Wales. "They experience their lives vicariously, not voyeuristically. They feel their pain and struggle, and that's something they take away that's quite positive."

The producers are confident participants will find it a positive experience as well.

"I think they will all come out of this saying it was the most extraordinary experience of their lives," Smith said.

Evil, rude, snotty, and proud of it!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 The UK loves it ... but why? AyaK 09-06-02 1
   The outcome AyaK 09-09-02 2
       A recap article AyaK 09-09-02 3
           And another...... ;-) VampKira 09-09-02 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

09-06-02, 03:17 PM (EST)
1. "The UK loves it ... but why?"
I know I should be bashing this, but ...

The first two "Survivors" flopped in the UK. Despite the mocking tone of the author above, though, this appears to be a real Survivor, filmed in Mark Burnett's favorite jungle in Queensland, Australia (and it's on the same network, ITV, although it's being made by a different production company, so it's not "Survivor UK 3") and it's been a huge hit. (I'm presuming Castaway Productions is getting some payment for this, but I couldn't confirm any of the show's production details except that Granada is producing it instead of Carlton/Planet 24.)

It features a UK BB-ish twist; the viewers, not the other contestants, do the voting off each week, and it's announced live to the contestants in the Oz morning (Survivor UK 2, in Panama, did this once as well).

Is it REALLY a hit? Yes. See this article from the Guardian.

AND it's drawing up to a 40 share (40% of the viewing audience) -- the first two never drew above a 25 share, even with relentless promotion. I guess people in the UK would rather see minor-league celebs than us peons from the real world.

First person booted? Uri Geller. At least he should have been prepared for it, right? I mean, he's psychic, right?

Next evictee? Nigel Benn, a former boxer, who called the remaining people "not even D-list celebrities." As if he is.

Third out? Darren Day. Who? Some singer.

Fourth out? Rhona Cameron. Who? Some female comedian (the first woman booted).

The remaining people? "Loyal wife" Christine Hamilton (the UK's answer to Martha Mitchell), superboobed model Nell McAndrew, Tara Palmer-Tomkinson (who tried to escape (!!) during one show but may now be the favorite to win, perhaps because of her randy behavior), and the token male, comedian/DJ Tony Blackburn, whom the bookies favor.

OK, now that I've put all this detail in here, I'm probably going to move this thread over to the "Other Shows" board (to fight off the American Idol dreck). But here is the "Celebrity" web site, if you're interested in the details through 12 days.

09-09-02, 12:38 PM (EST)
2. "The outcome"
LAST EDITED ON 09-09-02 AT 12:38 PM (EST)

Never bet against the bookies. And never bet that even "D list celebrities" won't attract ratings.

In case we needed more proof, here's how the final four broke down in "Celebrity Survivor", as the 15 days ended last night:

4th: Nell McAndrew, who wanted more "Survivor" and less "Big Brother" on the show...
Then, a stunt unworthy of even Mark Burnett and an interesting challenge led to...
3rd: Christine Hamilton...
and the final audience vote gave us (by 55%-45%)
2nd: Tara Palmer-Tomkinson
1st: Tony Blackburn, the bookies' choice

09-09-02, 05:18 PM (EST)
3. "A recap article"
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/va/20020908/103153393600.html

VampKira 4433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-09-02, 06:56 PM (EST)
4. "And another...... ;-)"
LAST EDITED ON 09-09-02 AT 07:00 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 09-09-02 AT 06:58 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 09-09-02 AT 06:57 PM (EST)

Great minds?

http://news1.iwon.com/odd/article/id/265738|oddlyenough|09-09-2002::08:50|reuters.html

Arrgggh! I can't get the link to post correctly.

Sing until it hurts....

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •