The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Design Star premieres Monday 7/11"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences HGTV Design Star Forum (Protected)
Original message

Max Headroom 8839 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-10-11, 10:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Design Star premieres Monday 7/11"
Is anyone besides me planning on watching this season? Here's hoping the judges do a better job this time around.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Design Star premieres Monday 7/... jase 07-10-11 1
 RE: Design Star premieres Monday 7/... djandy 07-12-11 2
 RE: Design Star premieres Monday 7/... Max Headroom 07-13-11 3
   RE: Design Star premieres Monday 7/... jbug 07-13-11 4
       RE: Design Star premieres Monday 7/... mindy23 07-25-11 5
           RE: Design Star premieres Monday 7/... jbug 07-25-11 6
 7/25 episode. Max Headroom 07-26-11 7
   RE: 7/25 episode. udg 07-27-11 8
   RE: 7/25 episode. mindy23 07-28-11 9
 8/1 episode. Max Headroom 08-02-11 10
   RE: 8/8 episode. djandy 08-08-11 11
       RE: 8/8 episode. Addi 08-11-11 15
   RE: 8/1 episode. ARnutz 08-09-11 12
   RE: 8/1 episode. Max Headroom 08-09-11 13
       RE: 8/1 episode. ARnutz 08-10-11 14
 8/15 episode. Max Headroom 08-16-11 16
   RE: 8/15 episode. ARnutz 08-16-11 17
       RE: 8/15 episode. Max Headroom 08-16-11 18
   RE: 8/15 episode. Addi 08-16-11 19
       RE: 8/15 episode. ARnutz 08-16-11 20
           bears repeating... jbug 08-19-11 21
 8/22 Episode ARnutz 08-23-11 22
   RE: 8/22 Episode Max Headroom 08-23-11 23
       RE: 8/22 Episode ARnutz 08-23-11 24
 8/29 Episode ARnutz 08-30-11 25
   RE: 8/29 Episode Max Headroom 08-30-11 26
 9/5 ARnutz 09-06-11 27
   RE: 9/5 Max Headroom 09-06-11 28
   I loved this challenge! udg 09-07-11 29
       RE: I loved this challenge! djandy 09-12-11 30
 And the Winner Is ... djandy 09-12-11 31
   RE: And the Winner Is ... ARnutz 09-13-11 32
       RE: And the Winner Is ... Max Headroom 09-14-11 33
   RE: And the Winner Is ... udg 09-14-11 34
   RE: And the Winner Is ... djandy 09-19-11 35

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

jase 187 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

07-10-11, 10:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jase Click to send private message to jase Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Design Star premieres Monday 7/11"
I'll be watching. I'm glad someone realized how dreadful last season was and that stripping away certain elements (no host ((Vern doesn't count)), fun/playful atmosphere, etc.) of the show was a MAJOR mistake.

Plus, I hope the judges act more professional. There's no need to be mean and often cruel toward the contestants during eliminations. I will always miss Cynthia Rowley and Martha McCully. They were the best.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

djandy 1632 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

07-12-11, 09:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail djandy Click to send private message to djandy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Design Star premieres Monday 7/11"
I love Candice Olson's designs, but I don't like her decisions as a judge. I don't like Genevieve Gorder's designs, her overly cutesy personality, or her judging. Genevieve & Candice were the ones pushing for Antonio, which makes me question their judgment. Hopefully they'll be nicer this season, as well as use discernment.

07-13-11, 08:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Design Star premieres Monday 7/11"
I (still) miss Clive as host. Tanika adds no value or personality.

jbug 14244 desperate attention whore postings

07-13-11, 10:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Design Star premieres Monday 7/11"
I totally agree Max. Clive added so much to the show.

mindy23 1288 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

07-25-11, 10:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Design Star premieres Monday 7/11"
I have no idea who Tanika is/was/or will be... But she's ok.

Having David there makes it a little nicer. I don't miss Clive at all. Vern is a tool, all the way around. But I noticed this season, so far, he's toning things down and not acting jerky like he has for the past few seasons.

Right out of the gate, in the past, Vern was just nasty and acting as though he expected failure from every contestant. I don't know that they have people who are any better than last season's yet-no one is really standing out to me yet. BUT, I do see a change in attitude, and that will help me continue to watch.

I gave it a one-shot deal, and have decided, since there really isn't a lot going on in that time slot, I'll probably continue to watch it. If they'd kept it on for Sunday night-no chance! Too many other shows with way better potential for viewing. And I think the network must have figured that one out....

07-25-11, 11:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Design Star premieres Monday 7/11"
This is 1 show that usually gets re-aired sometime late at night. Like Food Network Star, I can record these & watch them when I want & have time.

07-26-11, 08:17 AM (EST)
7. "7/25 episode."
Was anybody else as happy as I was to see Doug go home last night? The guy was opinionated, arrogant, and unable to work with other designers (in multiple challenges), a terrible combination, plus his ideas weren't that good either. While I can't stand Cathy and don't think Meg is very talented either, Doug repeatedly stood out as the one most worthy of an immediate boot. And at least he got it. Thank you, judges.

udg 2718 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

07-27-11, 01:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: 7/25 episode."
Early in the ep, I thought for sure Meg was a goner. I'm glad Doug got the boot, but I don't think Meg will be around terribly long, based on her edit.

I don't have a favorite. I almost said, "Yet," but I don't remember having a favorite ever last season, so...

Thanks to tribephyl for the sigpic!

mindy23 1288 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

07-28-11, 11:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: 7/25 episode."
ITA with all of the above, Max! Hoping that Cathy, the Queen, goes home next!

08-02-11, 12:56 PM (EST)
10. "8/1 episode."
Another week, another designer departure that wasn't Cathy.

I can't say I was that impressed by Bret's design skills throughout the show, but at least he was capable of successfully working with other people. And it was nice to see Meg do such good work-- I wasn't optimistic when they showed her holding several brightly-colored fabric swatches, but the end result was nice.

08-08-11, 10:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail djandy Click to send private message to djandy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: 8/8 episode."
>Another week, another designer departure that wasn't Cathy.

Ditto

Addi 14 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

08-11-11, 01:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Addi Click to send private message to Addi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: 8/8 episode."
>Another week, another designer departure that wasn't Cathy.
Ditto

ARnutz 13519 desperate attention whore postings

08-09-11, 04:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: 8/1 episode."
I agree. I can't stand Cathy! She cannot work with others at all. She gets by only because she has camera experience. She's a glorified pillow fluffer with no design sense and no hard work ethic. If she can go shopping and decorate with pillows and produce, then she's happy with others doing the grunt work. Ugh!

I am really liking that EPMB gave up the mean judge crap from last time and changed it back to them giving mostly helpful advice. I am absolutely loving that they have David as a mentor. He's like Tim Gunn is to Project Runway!

08-09-11, 10:15 PM (EST)
13. "RE: 8/1 episode."
The common theme throughout this season is that Cathy's partner(s) get thrown under the bus every week by the judges for "not making their presence known strongly enough." The woman is incapable of working cooperatively with anyone, and I hope that the judges figure out that the problem isn't Cathy's partner(s) each week, it's Cathy. Their kitchen was nicely done but overly accessorized, and every time her partner tried to say something, he was told to go finish the backsplash and leave her alone.

08-10-11, 11:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: 8/1 episode."
There is a little video on HGTV with David talking about Cathy 'steamrolling' Karl. I think she's done that with everyone she's paired up with. She's like a black widow spider, eating up her prey with her giant teeth!!!

I really hate how every season, the judges take forever to figure out that one contestant who cannot work in a group/pair and we have to suffer watching their horribleness.

08-16-11, 09:06 AM (EST)
16. "8/15 episode."
Ding dong, the witch is dead.

08-16-11, 10:32 AM (EST)
17. "RE: 8/15 episode."
Hells Yeah!!!!

*does happy dance*

I thought we were gonna get stuck with her and one of the other two were going to go home, but woooooooo hooooooooooo!!! No more giant teeth, bug eyes and loud rudeness!

Beachy keen... thanks to Shar! *bouncy* pop by the amazing IceCat

08-16-11, 01:14 PM (EST)
18. "RE: 8/15 episode."
Bebo gave me a virtual high-five on my Facebook wall-- we weren't alone in wanting Cathy gone!

cruising with agman joker

Addi 14 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

08-16-11, 01:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Addi Click to send private message to Addi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: 8/15 episode."
Lots of high 5's at out house last nite too.... I thought she was gonna eek by again but the judges finally got it right... goodbye oh thee of three magazine features

08-16-11, 06:21 PM (EST)
20. "RE: 8/15 episode."
Welcome to the boards!

I am still doing the *happy dance*

...and I am LMAO at how Cathy made it a point to tell us that weddings were her thing!!! Like pretty much she had this challenge in the bag! Ha!!!

08-19-11, 10:38 PM (EST)
21. "bears repeating..."
Hell yea!

08-23-11, 03:57 PM (EST)
22. "8/22 Episode"
Oooh. Double elimination!

I didn't expect that, but it was not the "most shocking elimination ever", as advertised in last week's previews.

By the way, I thought I dreamt about Cathy being gone, but I watched this week and I am now definitely sure it's true! Yay!!!

So, the group had to "HGTV" someone's whole house, with each of them getting their own space. I loved Mark's living/dining room and also Karl's master bedroom! Karl finally did well on camera too!

Honestly, any of the other 4 could have gone, IMO, but the judges sent Leslie and Kevin home. Meg's space was bad, but she has the camera thing down pretty good. Kellie did not even listen to her client!

08-23-11, 04:03 PM (EST)
23. "RE: 8/22 Episode"
Leslie's kid bedroom was a complete disaster. Complete. That room for a two-year-old? Instant elimination.

Kevin's space was erratic and he was terrible in the on-air reveal.

Kellie's kid bedroom was a near-complete disaster. She ignored what her client wanted and did her own thing in a poorly-designed way. If not for her on-camera skill, she was a likely elimination.

Meg did a nice job on her foyer but the upstairs area was a disaster. Given the other epic fails in this episode, 50% = pass.

Mark and Karl both thoroughly rocked their rooms and on-air reveals.

My favorite to win it all since day 1 was Kellie, but Mark has done great work too.

08-23-11, 04:10 PM (EST)
24. "RE: 8/22 Episode"
Agreed. I felt so badly for both of those kids! How horrible those rooms were. When a little boy asks for bunk beds... he LITERALLY means bunk beds... not some adult-kind-of-but-not-really-idea of bunk beds. Come on.

At this point I am between Mark & Kellie too, but Kellie needs to step it up now with as abdly as she did this week. Meg is good on camera, but her designs are lacking in many ways. Karl has some good designs, but other than this week, he stinks on camera.

08-30-11, 06:54 PM (EST)
25. "8/29 Episode"
The final four designed studio apartments and had a camera challenge that was in front of a live studio audience.

Meg did well on both the design and the live show. Karl stepped up again on camera. Mark and Kellie had issues of various sorts with both the rooms and the live show.

In the end, Kellie was sent home.

08-30-11, 07:32 PM (EST)
26. "RE: 8/29 Episode"
I didn't think any of the designers did an outstanding job, but Mark was lucky that Kellie did a worse job than he did.

09-06-11, 05:52 PM (EST)
27. "9/5"
The final 3 had to decorate a shed! aka a tiny house. Meg's was cute, but had no storage. Karl's was too cramped for my taste. Mark's was not my favorite paint scheme at all.

As I was watching, I realized I probably won't watch any of these people's shows, just like most of the other winners, except David.

Of the final 3... Meg is too in your face and loud for me. Karl just doesn't appeal to me. Mark is cute, but too low key.

Anyway, we are left with Meg and Karl for the finale. I'll probably watch just because I made it this long and there's only 1 more episode.

09-06-11, 06:29 PM (EST)
28. "RE: 9/5"
Of the final two, Karl would be the better host. His on-camera skills have improved drastically over the course of the season, and his design skills have been good overall. While Meg might be a slightly better designer, her voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard and there's no chance I'd watch her show for that reason. I liked Mark, but his last few designs just weren't that good.

09-07-11, 04:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "I loved this challenge!"
I was thrilled to see the Tiny Houses. One of my complaints about HGTV is their trend to go big or go bigger of late. They used to run a few shows about decorating small (like Small Space, Big Style), and their current line up doesn't have anything of that nature. The Tiny House and Not So Big House movements have fascinated me for a couple of years now. I'd love to see them add in a couple of new shows for individuals/families living in homes that aren't McMansions.

Anyway.... I'm totally shocked to see Meg in the finale. Her edit in the beginning was unflattering enough that I expected her to be among the middle of the pack, or maybe final 4. I loved the aesthetic of her design. I never would have chosen that green, but it worked for me.

Mark needed to go home for that "argyle" wall pattern. Fugly and unfunctional in a tiny space? No. Then again, I thought his skateboard ladder was stupid, too, and the judges loved that.

I know Karl had red in his room, but I don't remember much else about his design at this point. It really didn't stand out at all. Which put him ahead of Mark's argyle.

Speaking of past contestants, I'm actually enjoying Secrets From a Stylist! I didn't expect to based on Emily's performance on Design Star, but it totally has a place on my Tivo. In fact, I like it better than Color Splash Miami. (Miami style is definitely, um, unique.)

Meanwhile, I liked Todd on Design Star, and his performance on Room Crashers is definitely disappointing. Compared to the other Crashers shows, his is by far the worst.

Looks like Myles of Style got canned (their concept was so weak it was only a matter of time). Antonio's show never really interested me, so I'm not sure what's going on with him.

09-12-11, 11:15 PM (EST)
30. "RE: I loved this challenge!"
Surprisingly, I like Secrets from a Stylist too. I thought Emily came out of nowhere to win -- she wasn't even on my radar -- but her show has grown on me. I enjoy her tips on styling bookshelves and other spaces that you can apply to your own home. I'm glad she's dropped designing the rooms twice -- that seemed like too much wasted effort.

I've also dropped Color Splash Miami from my DVR -- just too wild and not my style. Only watched Myles of Style a couple of times -- also not my style. Refused to watch Antonio's show. The final 2 are kind of blah.

09-12-11, 11:43 PM (EST)
31. "And the Winner Is ..."
Meg. Once again a person that I wrote off early in the series wins. I thought her Design Crimes concept was cute, but it looks like her show (which premieres on Saturday) will be called HGTV's Great Rooms. Can you get more generic than that? We'll see how it goes.

09-13-11, 07:45 AM (EST)
32. "RE: And the Winner Is ..."
I didn't even watch the finale. I thought about it, but decided I didn't care. I came in here to see if anyone else did.

Now that I know that Meg has won, I doubt I'll be watching her show. Blah.

09-14-11, 05:09 PM (EST)
33. "RE: And the Winner Is ..."
I didn't see the finale either. And now that I know the outcome, I don't think I'll watch it, nor do I have any interest in Meg's future show.

09-14-11, 09:04 PM (EST)
34. "RE: And the Winner Is ..."
Well, Meg definitely had the better room. Karl's room was, um, very before-ish.

On one hand, I think Meg deserved to win. On the other, I wasn't particularly enthusiastic about either contestant. I guess I'll give her a chance. I've been surprised before by Design Stars' shows.

09-19-11, 01:55 PM (EST)
35. "RE: And the Winner Is ..."
I saw Meg's pilot show -- it was just okay. The green chevron wallpaper she put up in their Kitchen was atrocious. It took me MONTHS to tear down wallpaper in 11 rooms in my last house, and whoever's done that will never put up wallpaper again, let alone ugly wallpaper.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •