The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"OT Cooking Club-December"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Esbea 7377 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-02-03, 08:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Esbea Click to send private message to Esbea Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"OT Cooking Club-December"
Where did the year go? Its December already, and time for another visit to the old cooking club. Before I launch into this months theme, Id like to thank you all for the fantastic recipes that we got last month, there were SO many good ones!

This month (since we took care of main dishes in November) our theme is Holiday Goodies. Lots of peeps are going to parties or having people over and need something wonderful to put on the table! There are also those of us who get into our holiday baking, so dont feel constrained with what you post. Anything that you make especially at the holidays qualifies as a "goody". As always, we have some recipes coming from our "regulars", namely Sheila, Ahtumbreez, Coconut, Pooh, and Minitroll, but we encourage you to post your favorite too!

I dont know if there'll be snow, but have a cup of cheer.....

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies pythonfan 12-02-03 1
   RE: White Chocolate Cranberry Cooki... LeftPinky 12-02-03 6
 Tipsy Cherries pythonfan 12-02-03 2
   RE: Tipsy Cherries pythonfan 12-07-03 31
 Eggnog Fudge pythonfan 12-02-03 3
   RE: Eggnog Fudge woeisme1 12-03-03 23
 Baklava pythonfan 12-02-03 4
 Holiday Punch pythonfan 12-02-03 5
 Egg Nog Esbea 12-02-03 7
   RE: Egg Nog Sunny_Bunny 12-03-03 25
       RE: Egg Nog Esbea 12-03-03 26
 Rum Balls Esbea 12-02-03 8
 Mushroom-Stuffed Brie en Croute Esbea 12-02-03 9
 Super Simple Strawberry Trifle anotherkim 12-02-03 10
   RE: Super Simple Strawberry Trifle L82LIFE 12-02-03 19
       RE: Super Simple Strawberry Trifle anotherkim 12-02-03 20
 Lemon Curd Coconut 12-02-03 11
 Shortbread Coconut 12-02-03 12
 Grandma's Cheesers Coconut 12-02-03 13
 Nana's Nutcake Coconut 12-02-03 14
 Truffles aethelstan 12-02-03 15
   Excellent Coconut 12-02-03 17
 Chocolate Earl Grey Truffles Coconut 12-02-03 16
   Update Coconut 12-09-03 46
 Oreo cookie drops Breezy 12-02-03 18
 In honor of our own BuckeyeGirl I_Got_Nutn 12-02-03 21
 Bunny's Killer Eggnog Sunny_Bunny 12-03-03 22
   Killer Bunny Eggnog? IceCat 12-07-03 33
       RE: Killer Bunny Eggnog? Sunny_Bunny 12-12-03 49
 RE: OT Cooking Club-December woeisme1 12-03-03 24
   RE: OT Cooking Club-December StarryLuna 12-03-03 27
       RE: OT Cooking Club-December woeisme1 12-07-03 30
       RE: OT Cooking Club-December pythonfan 12-07-03 32
 Swedish Shortbread Cookies Swami 12-04-03 28
 Pumpkin Bread L82LIFE 12-06-03 29
 Christmas Morning Casserole Lisapooh 12-07-03 34
   RE: Christmas Morning Casserole woeisme1 12-08-03 35
 Spumoni Icebox coookies rose 12-08-03 36
 More recipes! Coconut 12-09-03 37
   RE: More recipes! Swami 12-09-03 38
       RE: More recipes! Coconut 12-09-03 40
       Apple Bread Pudding w Caramel Sauce Swami 12-09-03 41
           Now this.. Coconut 12-09-03 42
 Cranberry Pecan Bread Esbea 12-09-03 39
 Christmas Day Wassail Swami 12-09-03 43
   OOOOOHHHHH ...........Wassail Esbea 12-09-03 44
   RE: Christmas Day Wassail rose 12-09-03 47
 Crab Dip Esbea 12-09-03 45
 Truffle drop cookies aethelstan 12-12-03 48
 RE: OT Cooking Club-December Esbea 12-12-03 50

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

pythonfan 3348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

12-02-03, 08:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail pythonfan Click to send private message to pythonfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies"
LAST EDITED ON 12-02-03 AT 08:51 AM (EST)

White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
1/2 cup butter (1 stick - softened)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp brandy or vanilla (if you use brandy, do not use more than that)
3/4 cup white chocolate chips (I add like a cup)
1 cup dried cranberries (Craisins)

Cream butter, sugar and egg. Add dry ingedients and brandy. Mix well. Add
chips and cranberries.
Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes (more like 8, they will look raw, but after
they sit they are nice and chewy)

These cookies look very holiday like with the white and red contrast.

If you can't be a good example, then you can serve as a horrible warning.

LeftPinky 4150 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-02-03, 09:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail LeftPinky Click to send private message to LeftPinky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies"
I love these cookies! I substitute quick cooking oats for 1/2 cup of flour.... YUMMY!

12-02-03, 08:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail pythonfan Click to send private message to pythonfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Tipsy Cherries"
LAST EDITED ON 12-02-03 AT 08:52 AM (EST)

This is not my recipe. I am trying it for the first time this year. I don't know how important it is that you do it for 6 weeks - I'd think a week or two would probably be sufficient???

Tipsy Cherries

"Six weeks before Xmas I soak Maraschino Cherries in alcohol. I've
used many different types, but those soaked in vodka or brandy seem
to be everyone's fav. Buy your Maraschino Cherries (must have stems
attached) now before They are sell out....like they do around here.
Mine are already waiting for me.....

Dump the contents (Liquid too) of the jars into a very large non-
metallic bowl or ice-cream bucket works well also. Add alcohol (I
equal the amount of liquid) and let sit in the back of the fridge for
at least 6 weeks. After six weeks, and they are very happy, drain
the cherries....please DO NOT THROW THE LIQUID OUT...it tastes great
and can be used on puddings, ice-creams, pound cakes or even straight!
etc....THIS IS NOT KIDS!! )

Once the cherries are drained, carefully lay them on some paper
towels to dry (don't dry them out...just kinda dry to the
touch.....then place them on a baking sheet that is covered with wax
paper and put them in the freezer to until they are really cold...not
frozen.... You will have already melted some chocolate* over a
double boiler. Holding the very cold cherries by the stems, dunk them
into the chocolate bath.......shake gently and place on wax paper,
stem straight up....repeat with remaining cherries until
one.....place these briefly in the freezer again to harden and repeat
dunking procedure once more. Place in fridge briefly to harden and
then either leave as is or melt some white chocolate, flavored with a
some liqueur if you desire, and pipe onto the cherries in a zig-zag
pattern. I do some like this, but most are left plain. Store in a
covered container, with wax sheets in between layers, in a cool
place.

12-07-03, 09:03 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Tipsy Cherries"
I dipped the cherries in chocolate last night (we go to mom's next Sat) and OMG, they're yummy. LOL I may hvae to eat 10 or 20 dozen to survive the trip though *grin*

12-02-03, 08:53 AM (EST)
3. "Eggnog Fudge"
Eggnog Fudge

3/4 cup Prepared Eggnog

2 tbl Light Corn Syrup

2 tbl Butter Or Margarine

2 cup Sugar

1 tsp Vanilla

SUPPLIES: Pastry brush Candy thermometer Ribbon bows

Butter 8x8-inch pan. Lightly butter inside of heavy, medium saucepan.

Combine eggnog , corn syrup, butter and sugar in prepared saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly,
until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil. Wash down sides of pan frequently with pastry brush dipped in
hot water to remove sugar crystals.

Add candy thermometer. Continue to cook until mixture reaches 238 degrees F. (soft ball stage)

Pour into large heatproof bowl. Cool to lukewarm (about 110 degrees F).

Add vanilla ; beat with heavy-duty electric mixer until thick. Spread in prepared pan. Score fudge into 36 squares
with knife. Refrigerate until firm.

Cut into squares. Wrap in plastic wrap and top with bows.

MAKES 36 PIECES.

NOTES : A unique way to give this delightful fudge as a gift is to wrap individual squares like miniature presents

woeisme1 4081 desperate attention whore postings

12-03-03, 01:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail woeisme1 Click to send private message to woeisme1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Eggnog Fudge"

This sounds sinfully delicious!! Fudge without chocolate *ducks* and I LVOE eggnog. Thank you for posting this one!!!

An original Sonny Crockett creation
I was going to refuse to post to you but I realized that if I didn't tell you, how would you know I was ignoring you?--Pythonfan

12-02-03, 08:54 AM (EST)
4. "Baklava"
Ingredients
2 pounds phyllo dough (approx. 40 sheets)
6 ½ cups finely chopped walnuts
1 ½ cup sugar
1 ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
¾ pound unsalted butter (melted)
2 ½ cups honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions
Grease a 13×9 pan (bottom & sides) and set aside.
Mix well the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place a pan of water on the bottom rack.
Note: When working with phyllo be sure to work fast and keep the unused portion covered with plastic wrap at all times, as it tends to dry out pretty fast. Also, be sure to carefully follow the defrosting instructions on the phyllo – the sheets will stick together if you try to do a “speed defrost”.
Set aside one full-size sheet of phyllo dough. Cover with plastic wrap.
Cut remaining phyllo sheets into 13×9 sheets. Actually, measure your pan and cut the sheets to match the actual inside dimensions. On my pan it is actually 12 ¾ x 8 ¾, for example. With a big sharp knife you should be able to cut all of the phyllo at the same time. You will most likely have a lot of left over phyllo - consider finding another dish where you could use the smaller pieces of leftover phyllo dough.
Carefully lay the full-size phyllo sheet into the greased pan, folding over the pan edges. With a pastry brush, liberally apply melted butter.
Lay a cut sheet of phyllo into the bottom of the pan, and with a pastry brush liberally apply melted butter. Repeat 9 more times, so that you have the one full sheet and 10 smaller sheets as your bottom layer.
Sprinkle 2 cups of the walnut mixture into the pan. Lay 6 more sheets of phyllo on top, making sure to liberally apply the melted butter between each sheet. Repeat this 3 more times, so that you have 4 separate layers of the walnut mixture. For the top layer place as many phyllo sheets on top as you have remaining, again making sure to liberally butter between each sheet.
Using a sharp plastic spatula, carefully fold over the large sheet of phyllo that should still be extended over the edge back onto the top, so that you can see down the inside edges of the pan. In effect you now have one big baklava package wrapped with your initial phyllo sheet.
Using a very, very sharp serrated knife, carefully score the baklava into whatever shape you want. A diamond pattern is the traditional shape. Try to cut about half-way down into the baklava when you do this.
Bake for 2 ½ to 3 hours at 300 degrees until nice and brown.
About 5 minutes before removing the baklava from the oven, combine the honey and lemon juice and heat over a medium heat until runny. Do not boil it, just heat it well so it has a consistency more like water.
Remove the baklava from the oven and very carefully drain the butter that it will no doubt be floating in.
Set the baklava on a cooling rack, and pour the honey mixture completely over it.
Cover the baklava and let sit for at least 4 hours. Overnight is best (if you can wait that long!)
When you are ready to cut the pieces, cut through the score marks with a sharp knife, and use a spatula to remove the pieces. Have patience with this step, if you are not careful here you can make a real mess of it!
You are done, enjoy the fruits of your labor. This is a labor intensive dish but well worth it!

12-02-03, 08:55 AM (EST)
5. "Holiday Punch"
holiday punch recipe:

6 cups cranberry juice
6 cups pineapple juice
4 cups water
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 whole cinnamon sticks
14 whole cloves

Dump it all in a large pot, bring to a boil then simmer for at least
30 minutes. You can adjust the water and sugar to taste (the longer
you let it boil, the more the flavors blend...but you may need to
replace the water or it really does pack a punch! ;) Makes the house
smell awesome, too! ;) Just watch for the cloves when you dish it out
so you don't choke anyone. ;) Leftovers can go in the fridge, it
tastes great cold, too.

12-02-03, 09:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Esbea Click to send private message to Esbea Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Egg Nog"
6 egg, separated (I get pasteurized eggs for this)
3/4 cup sugar
1 pint heavy cream
4 pints milk
1/2 pint Bourbon
1 tablespoon vanilla
Nutmeg

In a bowl beat the egg yolks with the 1/2 cup of sugar until thick. In another bowl beat the egg whites with 1/4 cup of sugar until thick. In a third bowl beat the cream until thick. Add the cream to the yolks, fold in the egg whites, and add the milk, Bourbon, vanilla, and a pinch of nutmeg, if desired. Chill in freezer before serving.
Serve eggnog in a large punch bowl.

''What really scares me most, more than nukes or cancer, is a person without a sense of humor.''

Sunny_Bunny 5597 desperate attention whore postings

12-03-03, 11:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Egg Nog"
Esbea, I just wanted to apologize for posting an egg nog recipie when you had already done it. I saw this thread, got excited and didnt bother to read the other posts until after I posted my own. *blush*

Is crawling off into the warren now.

12-03-03, 01:29 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Egg Nog"
no biggie, the more the merrier!

''What really scares me most, more than nukes or cancer, is a person without a sense of humor.''

12-02-03, 09:35 AM (EST)
8. "Rum Balls"

1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 cup dark rum
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 1/2 cups finely crushed vanilla wafers
1 cup finely chopped, toasted walnuts or pecans

Into a large bowl, sift together 1 cup of the confectioners' sugar, the cocoa powder and allspice. Stir in the rum and corn syrup. Stir in the vanilla wafers and walnuts, and mix well. Place in the refrigerator to firm up slightly, about 30 minutes. (The mixture may appear crumbly and dry; this is O.K.)
Place the remaining 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar in a shallow bowl or dish.

Using a tablespoon, scoop out portions of the chocolate mixture and press into 1-inch balls. Using your hands, roll the balls in the confectioners' sugar, coating evenly.

Place on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, placing waxed paper between the layers to prevent sticking

12-02-03, 09:39 AM (EST)
9. "Mushroom-Stuffed Brie en Croute"
This looks complicated but its easyeasyeasy, and it will look like you spent lots of time making it.

1 small onion, minced to 1/2 cup
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 pound mushrooms, finely chopped
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 (17 1/4-ounce) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed according to package directions
1 (14 to 17-ounce) chilled Brie wheel
1 large egg
Accompaniment: French bread slices or crackers

In a 9- to 10-inch heavy skillet, cook onion in butter over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Add mushrooms, sherry, nutmeg, and salt and pepper, to taste, and saute over moderately high heat, stirring, until the liquid that the mushrooms give off is evaporated. Cool mushroom mixture.
On a lightly floured surface roll out 1 sheet of pastry into a 13-inch square and, using Brie as a guide, cut out 1 round the size of the Brie. Cut out a mushroom shape from scraps for decoration.

Horizontally halve Brie. Roll out remaining sheet of pastry into a 13-inch square and transfer to a shallow baking pan. Center the bottom half of Brie, cut side up, on pastry square and spread mushroom mixture on top. Cover mushroom mixture with remaining half of Brie, cut side down. Without stretching pastry, wrap it snugly up over Brie and trim excess to leave a 1-inch border of pastry on top of Brie.

In a small bowl, lightly beat egg and brush onto border. Top Brie with pastry round, pressing edges of dough together gently but firmly to seal. Brush the top of pastry with some egg and arrange pastry mushroom on it. Lightly brush mushroom with some egg, being careful not to let egg drip over edge of mushroom (which would prevent it from rising). With back of a sharp small knife, gently score side of pastry with vertical marks, being careful not to cut through dough. Chill Brie, uncovered, 30 minutes. Brie may be made up to this point 1 day ahead and chilled, loosely covered.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Bake Brie in middle of oven until pastry is puffed and golden, about 20 minutes. Let Brie stand in pan on a rack 15 minutes and transfer with a spatula to a serving plate.

Serve Brie with bread or crackers.

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-03, 09:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "Super Simple Strawberry Trifle"
LAST EDITED ON 12-02-03 AT 01:18 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 12-02-03 AT 09:49 AM (EST)

I never, ever bring back leftovers when I take this. It's similar to what some people call a punch bowl cake.

1 family sized Sara Lee pound cake, defrosted OR one yellow cake mix prepared in any size pan and cooled OR angle food cake
1 regular size vanilla instant pudding (not the family size)
1 16 oz. package of frozen, sliced strawberries in juice (not the bagged kind)
1 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 small tub (I can't remember the size) Cool Whip

Large bowl mixing bowl or trifle bowl--this is a trifle bowl. This is NOT the recipe in it, though. You can get one like this for about $12 at Penney's or Wal Mart, etc. Very useful thing. I have two.

My mom puts hers in a big Fire King mixing bowls. Clear bowls are prettier. The largest size in those three bowl sets would be adequate.

DIRECTIONS:

Prepare pudding according to recipe and then mix in cream cheese and 1/2 cup whipped topping. You'll have to beat it quite sometime to get the cream cheesy lumps out. I use a Braun Stick mixer and it works MUCH better than the regular old mixer.

Cut your cake into cube or chunks...approximately 1 inch square, it really isn't THAT important as long as they are bite sized pieces.

Cover the bottom of the bowl with a layer of cake.
Spoon strawberries and juice over the cake.
Cover strawberries with cream cheese mixture.
Add thin layer of whipped topping.

REPEAT.

In a trifle bowl, you will get at least two complete layers. In a mixing bowl, it may be more.

Be sure to pour all the juice from the strawberries in. Top with whipped topping and fresh sliced strawberries for garnish.

Refrigerate for at least 6 hours...it's better overnight.

You'll need a large serving spoon to serve. The layers mesh together.

You can use angel food cake, skim milk, fat free cream cheese and cool whip for a relatively low cal dessert.

Try it. I promise, it's a hit. I am required to take it to two different holiday get togethers and serve it on Christmas Eve.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--really doesn't cook much

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-03, 12:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Super Simple Strawberry Trifle"
This sounds really tasty, Kim. What type of pudding do you use? Vanilla? Or would banana work?

L82life

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-03, 01:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Super Simple Strawberry Trifle"
Ooops. I forgot that part. It's vanilla. EIther plain or French.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--will fix the original. Thanks, L8

Coconut 10856 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-03, 10:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Coconut Click to send private message to Coconut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "Lemon Curd"
Oh, boy, Esbea! I've been waiting with bated breath for this thread. I'm hoping someone has a good truffle recipe.

This lemon curd recipe is from my great-aunts. It is simple, delicious, and versatile. We usually use it to fill baked tart shells, but you can make a jelly roll, a trifle (just substitute for the pudding in Akim's recipe, for example), or to sandwich little butter cookies together (I saw that in this month's Gourmet). You can also sneak into the fridge and eat it with a spoon.

Wash 2 lemons, grate off the rind, and extract the juice.
Put the rind and the juice in the top of a double boiler along with:
1/3 c. butter
1 c. sugar

Cook over medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved

Beat 2 eggs. Add a little of the hot juice mixture to the eggs and mix well. Then, add the eggs SLOWLY (essential or you'll get little eggy chunks in your curd) to the hot mixture.

Cook until thick. Let cool and store in an airtight jar.

Also works with limes.

I .heart. JSlice, OT's Artist of the Year!

12-02-03, 10:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Coconut Click to send private message to Coconut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "Shortbread"
Another great-aunt recipe. You can add things to it (lavendar flowers, for example), but frankly, I like it pura natura.

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup icing sugar
3T rice flour (you can use cornstarch, but the texture isn't the same)
scant 2 cups flour

Work together with hands. Flatten onto a cookie sheet. Prick with a fork at regular intervals. Bake at 325 until done (sorry about the "until done". I think it's about 20 minutes, but I'm not sure. You can tell because the inside is no longer shiny). If you don't want to take the risk, cut it into squares before baking and separate them a little.

12-02-03, 10:42 AM (EST)
13. "Grandma's Cheesers"
These are very very rich.

Mix as for pastry. DO NOT overwork, because the dough is delicate:

1 cup butter
8 oz cream cheese
scant 2 cups flour
pinch of salt

Chill until firm.

For filling, the traditional thing is pineapple marmalade. Dad and I did some experimenting a couple of years ago, and discovered that half pineapple and half lime is even better. However, feel free to use regular orange or anything you like (whiskey, maybe).

When the dough is chilled, roll out as for pastry. Cut into large-ish circles, put in marmalade and fold in half (like perogies or turnovers). Crimp edges lightly.

Bake at 350 until brown. When slightly cool, roll in icing sugar.

12-02-03, 10:45 AM (EST)
14. "Nana's Nutcake"
A great-grandmother recipe this time.

Grind one pound of fresh hazelnuts.

Separate four eggs. Beat the yolks for 15 minutes, gradually adding 3/4 cup of sugar.

Beat whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.

Add beaten whites to beaten yolks. Fold in the ground hazelnuts.
* Very important: Mix everything GENTLY.. because there is no leavening agent except air, you want to preserve as much air as possible, so don't stir any more than you have to.

Bake in a greased loaf pan, one hour at 325.

aethelstan 4435 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-03, 10:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "Truffles"
Like, Coco, I've been waiting for this one, too. I have more but this is the only one I know by heart.

This truffle recipe has been so popular, I had to make them twice for wedding favours alone, not to mention the many other requests.

1/2 lb butter, softened
8 oz unsweetened chocolate finely grated
2 1/2 icing sugar
2oz coarsely grated bittersweet chocolate.

Combine first three ingredients until you get a paste. You'll probably have to/want to use your hands.
Roll into balls about walnut sized (though I go for hazelnut/filbert sized).
Roll balls in the bittersweet chocolate to coat.

Keeps in airtight container for about a week but freezes quite well.

These are very sensitive to heat and practically melt on a warm summer day. But they are so yummy.

whiteribbon
Another quality creation by JSlice

12-02-03, 11:00 AM (EST)
17. "Excellent"
I saw you in another thread and was about to tell you to get your behind over to this thread

That looks like a good recipe. I'll be trying it.

12-02-03, 10:59 AM (EST)
16. "Chocolate Earl Grey Truffles"
I have NOT tried this recipe (it's from last year's December Gourmet), but I really want to make truffles this year. If you guys have any good truffle recipes, please share.

2/3 c heavy cream
2T unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces (why 4?) and softened
2t loose Earl Grey tea leaves
6 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), chopped
1 c unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder

Bring cream and butter to a boil in small heavy saucepan. Stir in tea leaves and let steep for five minutes.
Finely grind chocolate in a food processor and transfer to a bowl. Pour cream through a sieve on to the chocfolate, pressing on and discarding tea leaves. Whisk chocolate until smooth. Chill covered, until firm, about 2 hours.

Spoon level teaspoons of chocolate mixture onto a baking sheet. Put cocoa in a bowl, then dust your palms with it. Roll each piece of truffle into a ball and dip in the cocoa.

12-09-03, 07:47 PM (EST)
46. "Update"
I made these today, and they are really, really easy. They also taste divine.

My /$)*("*&!)"(!!! grocery store didn't have any loose Earl Grey, so I used some Japanese sour cherry tea I had. Mmm... delicious.

Still gonna try Stan's recipe, though.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-03, 12:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "Oreo cookie drops"
I posted this on last years thread. So some of you may remember it.

1 pkg Oreos (or other chocolate sandwich cookies)
1 pkg softened cream cheese (I even use fat free to make me feel better about eating a couple dozen)
1 pkg white or chocolate candy coating (we like the white the best)

mash up the oreos in a large bowl into fine pieces
using a hand mixer mix together the cream cheese and oreo pieces, roll into 3/4 inch balls. Refrigerate for atleast an hour and then dip into melted white or chocolate candy coating. Keep cookies in refrigerator or in a cool place.
The actual recipe says to put the oreos into a blender to smash but I don't like cleaning so I just mash them with my hand mixer.

I_Got_Nutn 897 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

12-02-03, 11:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_Got_Nutn Click to send private message to I_Got_Nutn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "In honor of our own BuckeyeGirl"
Buckeyes

1 lb. powdered sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter (softened)
12 oz. jar peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
12 oz. chocolate chips
1/3 slice parafin

Combine butter, peanut butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Shape into 4 dozen balls and freeze until hard. Melt chocolate chips and parafin. Stick a toothpick in a ball and dip into chocolate mixture leaving a circle around the toothpick undipped. Put on waxed paper to harden.
Optional - Rub warm finger over toothpick hole to close.

Mom always closed the holes, but hey, she's Mom.

12-03-03, 00:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "Bunny's Killer Eggnog"
For those of you who want a good nog, this is it. However a warning: This WILL put you on your tushie!

12 eggs. separated
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup Bourbon
1/2 cup Brandy
6 cups milk
Ground Nutmeg
1 cup heavy or whipping cream

1. In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat yolks with sugar. At high speed, beat until thick and lemon colored, about 15 min. frequently scraping the bowl.

2. Carefull beat in bourbon and brandy, one tablespoon at a time to prevent curdling. Cover and chill.

3. About 20 min before serving; In chilled 5 to 6 qt. punch bowl, stir yolk mixture, milk and 1 1/4 teaspoons nutmeg.

4. In large bowl with mixer at high speed, beat whites until soft peaks form.

5. In small bowl, using same beaters, at medium speed, beat cream until stiff peaks form.

6. With wire whisk, gently fold whites and cream into yolk mixture until just blended. Sprinkle top with nutmeg.

yeilds 19 cups, or 38 1/2 c. servings

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

12-07-03, 09:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "Killer Bunny Eggnog?"
Is it served in...

A GRAIL!?!

12-12-03, 02:25 PM (EST)
49. "RE: Killer Bunny Eggnog?"
HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Smooch, Icecat!

Yes it is, and it will make you say aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhh

12-03-03, 02:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail woeisme1 Click to send private message to woeisme1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: OT Cooking Club-December"

I apologize that I sadly don't have the recipe with me here in Hawaii for the actual size of the Midori (liquer)and this is not really for small children, but it really is a simple and yummy freezer dessert.

Midori Pie

1Package of Oreo cookies, crushed (as crumbly as you can get them)
1 Pint(small bottle- might be a 1/5th?)
1/2-1 Cup of sugar (I use 1 cup but others prefer less-to your taste)
2 Pints whipping creme
Green food coloring
1 springform pan

Mix the whipping creme til stiff peaks form (if you pull a rubber spatula thru it and peak stands up), adding sugar slowly as you mix. (It should be smooth without sugar crystals when it is done)

Slowly add Midori and food color (make it as green as you want).

Place a thick layer of the Oreo crumb mixture in bottom of springform pan. (I use more cookies on the bottom crust than the top) Add the green mixture you just created. Sprinkle cookie crumbs on top. Place in freezer.

This is a frozen pie so as soon as it is frozen you can take the ring off the pan but dessert should be kept in the freezer when not being served to eat, as it will melt if you don't.

I was going to refuse to post to you but I realized that if I didn't tell you, how would you know I was ignoring you?--Pythonfan

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

12-03-03, 05:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail StarryLuna Click to send private message to StarryLuna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: OT Cooking Club-December"
*drooling* I fee like Homer Simpson when he sees a donut. I can't wait to try all of these recipes!

A JSlice of holiday spirit!

12-07-03, 02:27 AM (EST)
30. "RE: OT Cooking Club-December"

I'm planning a trip back to Colorado in March and will get my little recipe book out of storage. Next year I will give you all my best recipes for the holidays! With all the right measurements and everything!

I thank God (and Esbea) for this monthly thread so I can get some new recipes.

12-07-03, 09:05 AM (EST)
32. "RE: OT Cooking Club-December"
LOL I'm going to cook today as we're going to my mom's next weekend (trust me, it's better if I just make stuff and take it up there ) and I'm drooling over these recipes wondering how many ingredient runs my DH will be making today.

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

12-04-03, 12:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "Swedish Shortbread Cookies"
Coconut already posted a shortbread recipe, but this one is a little different & looks really Christmas-y. Recipe makes about 2 dozen cookies. Shortbreads are the best cookies!

Cookie:
1 cup room temperature, unsalted butter
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 to 2 & 1/3 cups flour
1/3 cup raspberry jam

Glaze:
1 cup powdered confectioners sugar
1 tsp almond extract
2 to 3 tsp water
a few drops of green food coloring (optional)

Cookie:
Cream butter & granulated sugar together, using electric mixer at medium speed. Slowly add flour, just until dough isn't sticky. Divide dough into 6 balls and refrigerate about 30 minutes. Place each ball between 2 sheets of bakers parchement & roll into a 3 x 10 inch rectangle (it will be about 1/4 inch thick). Repeat with remaining dough balls.

Place rectangles on parchment sheet on a cookie sheet. Make a shallow crease down the long center of each rectangle, about 3/4 of an inch wide, & fill crease with raspberry jam.

Bake at 350' for 10 to 12 minutes.

Remove from oven, cool slightly, then cut across the short side of each rectangle, at a slight angle making 6 or more cookies with a jam stripe across the center. Remove to wire rack & cool completely before glazing.

Glaze:

In a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, almond extract, (optional food coloring) & water until smooth. Drizzle lines of glaze across cookies. Adults usually prefer the white glaze; kids go for green.

Swami

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

12-06-03, 06:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "Pumpkin Bread"
LAST EDITED ON 12-06-03 AT 06:44 PM (EST)

I've been making this recipe every year for over 10 years. It's good stuff, and pretty simple. Everybody requests it each year.

Pumpkin Bread

Makes 6 loaves

4-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/2 cup oil
6 eggs

Mix these together until well blended and add:

1 cup water
1 large can pumpkin (not pie mix)
2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice (I usually add a few extra teaspoons of cinnamon, too)

Mix well with oil mixture.

Sift together:

5-1/2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking soda
2-1/2 teaspoons salt

Mix dry ingredients with wet until well blended. If you want walnuts, now's the time to put them in (use 2 cups of walnuts). Also, I sometimes add a few cups of raisins.

Grease 6 loaf pans (the foil ones work really well) and fill each pan 1/2 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

All the recipes on this thread sound wonderful. I can't wait to make some of them!

L82life

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings

12-07-03, 11:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "Christmas Morning Casserole"
We always make this up on Christmas Eve before we go to bed and pop it in the oven when we wake up Christmas morning. Then we chow down after the presents are opened. It's very yummy and feeds an army!

12 eggs
4 cups milk
12 slices bread (torn in bits)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp dry mustard
2 lbs. sausage (I always use the maple flavored sausage and everyone keeps trying to figure out what that taste is)
2 cups grated cheddar cheese (I use sharp, but it's good with mild too)

brown, drain and cool the sausage. Add the rest of ingredients and refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 for 1 hour in a 13x9 pan.

12-08-03, 03:30 AM (EST)
35. "RE: Christmas Morning Casserole"

Thank you Pooh- this sounds so easy- my kinda recipe.

Since you drain the sausage before adding to the other ingredients, do you spray the pan with anything before adding the yummy mix or does it just not stick to the pan?

rose 313 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

12-08-03, 06:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail rose Click to send private message to rose Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "Spumoni Icebox coookies"

'k, remember Spumoni Ice cream? (Unless your italian, or 60; you may not) Any way it's yummy, and these cookies will bring back the memories...

2.75 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
1 c. butter or marg.
1 c. sugar
1 lg. egg
1 tsp. almond extract
1/3 c. shelled pistachios- finely chopped
green paste food coloring
1/3 c. candied cherries- finely chopped
red paste food color

Use 9"x5" loaf pan with plastic wrap. combine baking soda, flour and salt on wax paper.

With a mixer- beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and almond extract; add flour mixture slowly.

For the pistachio section-
Take 1/3 of the dough and add green color and pistachios

In another bowl, combine 1/3 dough and cherries and red color

pat pistachio dough in bottom of pan and freeze until hard.
layer regular dough in 2nd 1/3 of pan and freeze until hard.
layer cherry dough in last 1/3, Cover with saran wrap and refridgerate 4 hours.

Oven to 350.

remove dough from pan and slice 1/4" thick slices of dough. on ungreased sheet, back 10-12 minutes....

YUUUMMMY!!!

a wonderful kyngsladye original

12-09-03, 09:49 AM (EST)
37. "More recipes!"
Come on, let's go!!

*bump*

12-09-03, 11:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: More recipes!"
Okay, okay--I'll go get my recipe boxes. But only because I am avoiding going to the Post Office...

Swami

12-09-03, 11:26 AM (EST)
40. "RE: More recipes!"
Anything that works. I'm contemplating my yearly bake-a-thon, so get to it!

mmm... cookies

12-09-03, 11:30 AM (EST)
41. "Apple Bread Pudding w Caramel Sauce"
This is a nice seasonal dessert that can bake while you eat dinner.

2 cups milk
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
4 cups fresh bread cubes
1 large apple, thinly sliced (peeled or not--whatever)
1/4 cup raisins
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tbsp grated orange zest

Heat milk, sugar & butter until butter is melted.
Pour over bread cubes, apples & raisins.
Stir to mix & let soak about 10 minutes.
Beat eggs with cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg & zest.
Combine egg mixture with bread mixture.
Pour into a sprayed 8 x 8 inch pan
Bake at 350' for about 40 minutes.
Cool slightly (~30 minutes) while you prepare a quick caramel sauce...

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup heavy cream (not milk!)
1 tsp vanilla

Combine ingredients except vanilla.
Bring to boil over medium heat.
Cook & stir for 2 to 3 minutes.
Remove from heat & stir in vanilla.
Spoon sauce over each serving of bread pudding.

Swami

12-09-03, 11:31 AM (EST)
42. "Now this.."
will make me DH's favourite person all over again.

married to a caramel freak.

12-09-03, 11:22 AM (EST)
39. "Cranberry Pecan Bread"
1/2 cup orange flavored liqueur
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick, halved
1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries (or defrosted if frozen)
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 cup chopped, toasted pecans
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a saucepan, combine the orange liqueur, sugar, water, cloves, and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the cranberries. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the berries burst, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the berries cool in the liquid. Remove the cinnamon stick and cloves and discard.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 1/4 by 5 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan.

In a mixer bowl, using the mixer on high speed (or using a hand mixer), cream the sugar and butter. Add the eggs and beat until light and fluffy. Into a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk and orange juice. Alternately add the dry ingredients and buttermilk mixture to the creamed butter, beating after the addition of each. Fold in the reserved cranberry mixture, pecans, orange zest and vanilla. Pour into the prepared loaf pan. Bake until a tester comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes.

Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.

12-09-03, 11:56 AM (EST)
43. "Christmas Day Wassail"
Wassail

(A perfect hot drink for after sledding or skating)

1 gal apple cider
4 juicey oranges
2 lemons
1 tbsp whole cloves
1 tbsp whole allspice
4 cinnamon sticks, broken
sugar to taste (1/4 cup? Not too much; cider may be sweet)
1 quart dark Rum.

With a vegetable parer, thinly peel the colored zest (getting none of that white stuff!) from the oranges & lemons.
Add the peels to the cider.
Squeeze juice from oranges & lemons. Add to cider.
Stir in cloves, Allspice & cinnamon.
Bring mixture to boil & simmer 15 minutes.
Taste. Add sugar if needed.
Remove from heat & strain out peels & whole spices.
Add bottle of Rum to warm cider.
(Do not boil after adding Rum)

Makes about 40 servings. If you put it into a punch bowl, it looks pretty to float about three thick, round slices of orange in to bowl. You can stick a few frech whole cloves into the rind of each slice and/or spear a bit of cinnamon stick through the center or each slice.

You can make the cider in the morning, before the day's activities, then reheat it over medium heat before adding the Rum.

Swami

12-09-03, 12:41 PM (EST)
44. "OOOOOHHHHH ...........Wassail"
yummy! Thanks sis......I loves me some good wassail!

rose 313 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

12-09-03, 09:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rose Click to send private message to rose Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
47. "RE: Christmas Day Wassail"

i'm being forced to the in-laws the day after Christmas, and they are a bunch of lushes, so I can't wait to make this and watch the drama unfold.. *evil laughter*

12-09-03, 12:44 PM (EST)
45. "Crab Dip"
1 pound crabmeat, any kind, picked free of shell
8 ounces cream cheese, in large dice
1 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish, or to taste
2 tablespoons Creole mustard or other coarse mustard
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Place 1/2 the crabmeat in the bowl of a food processor. Add 1/3 of the cream cheese, hot sauce, Worcestershire, horseradish, mustard, 2/3 of the green onions, salt, and pepper. Puree, running the processor for about 15 seconds. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula, add 1/2 the remaining cream cheese, and puree until well blended, about 15 seconds. Stop and scrape the bowl again, add the remaining cream cheese, and process until well incorporated. Adjust seasoning. Fold in the remaining onions and crabmeat and serve as a dip. Or, to make canapes, reserve the remaining crabmeat, place the puree in a pastry bag, and pipe it onto crackers or toast points. Season the reserved crabmeat, and garnish the canapes with the crabmeat and the remaining green onions.

aethelstan 4435 desperate attention whore postings

12-12-03, 01:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
48. "Truffle drop cookies"
Christmas is all about baking for me. Well, since last year anyway. These are one of my faves.

From Canadian Living magazine:

Just like truffles, these cookies are dark, dense and chocolaty. Bittersweet chocolate - look for large bars in you grocery store - is the secret.

1 1/4 lb bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup butter
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp each baking powder and cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups coasely chopped pecans
NB. I'd personally never let nuts interfere with the flavour of chocolate. But that's just me.

- Line rimless baking sheets with parchment paper, or grease; set aside
- In heatproof bowl over hot (not boiling) water, melt chocolate with butter; let cool for 5 min.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar and vanilla. In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; stir into egg mixture. Stir in melted chocolate mixture, chocolate chips and chopped pecans. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared pans, 2 inches apart; flatten slightly.
- Bake in centre of 350F oven for 10 min or until just set. Let cool on pans on rack for 3 minutes. Transfer to rack; let cool completely.
- Makes about 80 cookies

They say you can freeze them for up to 2 weeks. I say they can be frozen for longer in a chest freezer without adverse effects.

© Kittyloaf Creations, 2003

12-12-03, 02:29 PM (EST)
50. "RE: OT Cooking Club-December"
is 50 a swoop?

''Above all, be true to yourself, and if you can not put your heart in it, take yourself out of it.''

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •