The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Interview with Dennis and Andrew"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

someguy 24 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-23-02, 08:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail someguy Click to send private message to someguy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Interview with Dennis and Andrew"
Here is an article from The Advocate. I don't think there are any spoilers here, so I think it's appropriate to post it here.

http://www.advocate.com/html/stories/875/875_amazing.asp

Among the three teams that include gay members on the current season of CBS’s The Amazing Race reality game show, Andrew and Dennis from Lexington, Ky., had perhaps the most dramatic back story: Andrew, 21, is an openly gay cheerleader, and his dad, Dennis, 48, is a Southern Baptist who still disapproves of his son’s sexuality. Eliminated in the third episode on October 16, father and son open up to Advocate.com about their own family values.
By Bruce C. Steele
An Advocate.com exclusive posted October 17, 2002

The Amazing Race, a reality game-show race around the world now in its third incarnation on CBS, has a knack for finding two-person teams with an interesting dynamic: bickering couples, best friends who bounce off one another like comedy duos, and, of course, the gay teams. The first two seasons saw San Diego’s Team Guido, a long-term couple who played hard, wore matching outfits, and came in an impressive third, and Danny and Oswald, fun-loving Latino pals from Miami who shopped their way around the world, often sought help from four-star hotels, and came in fourth.

The new season offers a new twist, with three gay contestants on three different teams, each with its own tensions. There’s Aaron and Arianne, the real-life Will and Grace, who have been making and breaking alliances with the other youthful teams, and Ken and Gerard, the jolly, 40-ish, balding brothers who can’t help but entertain both the other players and home viewers with their banter and their pratfalls.

The third gay contestant, until his team was eliminated in the third round on October 16, was Andrew, a 21-year-old cheerleader and college student from Kentucky, traveling with his conservative Southern Baptist dad, Dennis, 48. Together they braved a donkey in Mexico that refused to pull their cart (they picked the donkey cart over a sky-diving option), a dive with dolphins to retrieve a clue from the sea bottom, and, in their final effort, a challenge to pilot a British tank around a muddy figure-eight track in less than 90 seconds to win a pass to directly to the race’s next pit stop.

Father and son tank team

Unfortunately, even the “Fast-Forward” pass won with the tank challenge wasn’t enough to pull them out of last place after a disastrous airport experience in Cancun, Mexico, where they wound up on a flight out many hours behind the rest of the pack. Andrew even tried calling an airline with a sob story about his sick mother (she wasn’t) to try to get on an earlier flight. While his cunning impressed Dennis, it wasn’t enough to speed their trip. When they were the last to arrive at a pit stop in Scotland, they were eliminated from the race.

The day after their elimination round was broadcast, Andrew and Dennis called Advocate.com from their New York publicity tour.

Advocate.com: So, where were you watching the show last night?
Andrew: We watched it in New Jersey with Ken and Gerard and Zach and Flo and Drew, one of the twins.

Ken and Gerard

Of course, you all knew what was coming. So what happened in the Cancun airport?
Dennis: We just couldn’t get out of the airport. Everything was booked. They didn’t show this on the show so much, but we were actually standing in line with two other teams. The flights just booked up right before our eyes. Andre and Damon got a flight at 10:25 a.m., Teri and Ian got a flight at 11:55 a.m., and we didn’t get a flight until 8 p.m. We were literally standing in line together.

Andrew: So it didn’t come down to us not being smart enough or strong enough. It came down to pure luck.

Dennis: Just the fact that we didn’t shove them out of the way to get to the counter . We didn’t think being that close to each other that it would matter. We just figured we’d all fly together, and then we’d beat ’em once we got to Heathrow . But that didn’t happen.

So, Andrew, who were you talking to on the phone when you were telling the story about your mother being sick?
Andrew: I was actually on the phone with, I believe it was American Airlines customer service. And you know, I’m not a liar—I’m a happy, honest guy, I swear. But you’ve got to play the game or the game’s going to play you, so I tried to sappen up my voice and tried to get the lady to help me out more. And she did, she really did.

And Dennis, what were you thinking while Andrew was on the phone telling this story?
Dennis: I tell you what was going through my mind: I was really proud of him at that point. I guess if there was one defining moment for me in watching him become equal and a true team mate, not just a father-son any more, it was at that moment, because I didn’t even know he was going to get on the phone and start trying to book those things. I figured, OK, here I am, I’m the dad, that’s my job. I turned around and he’s ahead of me and starting to do this, and I was like, That’s really cool. So I just sat there and listened to him lie to that lady.

And what did your mother think, Andrew?
Andrew: My mother thought it was hysterical, and she didn’t mind that I used her as an excuse. She said, “Use your resources.”

Dennis: I think she liked the reference. She said, “Oh, I made it on the show!”

Andrew lying on the phone

How did you decide who got to drive the tank?
Dennis: Well, we had a division of labor before we ever started.

Andrew: It was equal-opportunity employment.

Dennis: If it was a physical thing, that’s Andrew. He’s got the youth and endurance on his side. If it was an experience thing, or driving—I did all the driving. You know, I’ve driven a lot of different pieces of equipment, and actually I’ve got a piece of equipment that’s much, much smaller than that but that drives with the sticks like that instead of a wheel. I don’t know if you could tell that, but it had two sticks—

I couldn’t tell what you were doing to drive that tank; I was just glad I wasn’t doing it.
Dennis: So even though that thing was probably 10 times bigger than the little soldier I’ve got, it drove just the same, so that was experience. Andrew has the energy, and I have the experience. That was an experience moment.

Andrew: He was the brain. I was the brawn.

You came in with 15 seconds to spare.
Dennis: And that was the first try. The instructions on the clue said you get as many tries as possible, and one of the guys that was there from the production crew said that he had tried all day the day before and had never been able to make it in time. I did it the very first time.

What was the hardest challenge you faced on the race?
Dennis: That was our dumb mistake with the donkeys. We should have jumped out of the plane instead of riding the donkeys. We made a mistake. We honestly did. Because of the preparation and training involved in the skydiving, we thought that the donkeys would be as fast if not a little bit faster. And we didn’t realize how slow a donkey was.

At least you did fall off yours, like the two girls from Harvard Law School.
Dennis: Well, actually, that was a benefit to them because since their cart broke, they went back and jumped , and that put them ahead of us. We’d have been better off if we had fallen off.

Andrew: Of course, we’re from Kentucky. We were imagining these fast thoroughbreds racing around the Derby. Of course, that was our mistake. Here was this slow freaking donkey.

Dennis: I was expecting it to at least trot along. We’d have been better off to shoot the donkey and drive the cart ourselves. We actually ended up dragging and pushing more than we did riding in the cart.

What was your most memorable moment?
Andrew: After we got out of the tank in Cambridge, England, we were physically exhausted, we were hungry, we were thirsty. We maybe had had nine hours of sleep in 72 hours, and we were just run down and had no strength. And we were covered in mud from the tank, and all of a sudden, we see this bright shiny limo right in front of us and this guy in a tuxedo. And we realized that we get to ride a limo to the pit stop, and that was great. We got to put our feet up and relax a little bit. I got a whole bottle of champagne—my dad doesn’t drink, so I drank the whole thing myself. We just goofed off—we were the boys, hanging out in the back of the limo. For the first time on the race, we just relaxed. We said, “No matter what happens, we’re going to go out with a bang,” and we had an absolute blast on the last leg.

Champagne and limousines

That must have been a long limo ride. How long was it?
Andrew: Pretty long.

Dennis: Actually, yeah, we did transfer vehicles. We didn’t ride the limo the entire way. But from Cambridge to is probably 500 miles.

Andrew: It took about nine hours.

Dennis: But I was shocked that they let us in the limo because as you could see with the tank, we’d just got out of this dirty, nasty, muddy thing. We were pretty nasty. And then he opens the limo door, and I was like, “I don’t know if you’re going to want me to sit in your car.”

Andrew: We were nasty.

Dennis: But they didn’t seem to mind, so we jumped in.

So what did you learn about each other?
Andrew: I learned that my dad can really kick back and have a good time. He’s a very protective father, a very hard worker at his job, and a very straightforward guy, but you know, when the time was right, he’d just kick back and goof off with me and the rest of the teams, and that was really cool, to see a different side of him.

Dennis: It was really neat for me to see Andrew in a more mature . Maybe the maturity is there, and you know, being a dad I wasn’t looking for it before, but to see him grow and take charge… You know, you kind of hate to see him fly from the nest, but it’s also kind of neat to see him soar.

When did Andrew come out to you?
Dennis: That was probably about three years ago.

Andrew: The summer before my senior year of high school. I was 17 years old.

And what did you think about coming out to the whole wide world on The Amazing Race?
Dennis: I have to admit to you I was not comfortable with that. And that was going into the race—and still now. That was a big concern because we do have a difference of opinion there, and that opinion has not changed. But what I hope comes across is that even though we have an issue that we don’t agree on, and still don’t, we can love each other. He’s my son, he’ll always be my son, and what would I gain if I tried to sever any kind of relationship with him?

Andrew: I think the thing that we really wanted to show is, you know, we’re different: All fathers and sons are. We’re night and day, but at the same time we’re family. I think there are too many parents out there kicking their kids out of the house and disowning them because they’re gay. Well, I just hope that we show that whether you’re black or white, gay or straight, Jewish or Christian, you are family, and there are things more important than just your personality and your character. I think those are true family values: when your father is willing to stand up next to you and do such a crazy adventure with you in front of the entire world.

You know, we’re from Lexington, Ky., and that’s part of the Bible belt. There are a lot people at home who are extremely supportive and a lot of people who won’t talk to me. That’s part of it. I’m only 21—the youngest person to run The Amazing Race—and I’m really proud to stand up and say, “This is who I am—every bit of me.” I think the show portrayed me just like I am: I’m a perky, happy goof-off all of the time, and I was just really proud of myself for summoning up the strength just to stand up and say, “This is me.”

A lot of the reality shows have gay characters, gay people on them, but they all seem to be 30, 40, 50 years old, whatever, and here’s me, just turned 21, and I’m already willing to just be myself, and I don’t care what other people think of me. I just want to stand up and show that. And I think that really went over well.

You were on the show with at least two other gay contestants. Apparently you got to know them afterwards. Did you get to talk to them at all while you were on the race?
Andrew: Yes, absolutely. I got to talk to both of them. Ken is a great guy. I believe he’s 40. He’s a superfun, hilarious guy, just a genuine soul. He’s so nice, such a great guy.

Ken and Gerard are definitely the designated comic relief for the show.
Dennis: They’re hilarious. They really are that way too.

Andrew: They’re hilarious all the time.

They’re very fun.
Andrew: Aaron and I are a little bit more different. I’m an extreme optimist. I’m perky and smiling all the time, and he’s a little bit pessimistic and a little bit more, um, dramatic. Maybe a little bit more rough around the edges. But that’s just his character, you know? People are different. I’m more animated. He’s dramatic.

So what’s next for you, Andrew?
Andrew: I actually work with underprivileged kids in downtown Lexington—I’m a youth development coordinator at a place called the Manchester Center, which is funded by United Way. And I have a Web site up. I’ve acted since I was maybe 2 or 3 years old, and I’m going to continue to do that in my community. I’m open for anything. I made this dream come true, so I’m going to keep fighting for the rest. If Will & Grace comes knocking, I’m going to open the door!

Dennis, what about you?
Dennis: I’m the more practical one of the two—that’s my role as the dad—so I’ve been back to work, and I plan to continue to work. I run a family entertainment center, so it’s a good place for families to come and have a good time. So we’re strong with the family values and the family relationships.

And what do the folks you work with think of your appearance on The Amazing Race?
Dennis: Oh, they enjoyed it. They’ve been really supportive—they had to carry the ball while I was gone, so they’ve been really supportive of the whole thing. The first two weeks, we had big parties at my business because we had a big enough room for everybody, so it has been great.

Going into this race, I guess I had some reservations because Andrew and I do have this mainly one issue that we struggle with. And because of it, some people are not going to like him, and because of it, some people are not going to like me. So I knew we weren’t going to be popular with everyone, but the important thing is we like each other. So we’ll work through the other issues.

Andrew: We refuse to live for everyone else. We were living for ourselves during the race.

Are you happy with getting to see the parts of the world you got to see?
Andrew: Absolutely. You know, I was the youngest person in the race and the only one never out of the U.S. That was a huge adventure for me: My first time out of the U.S., and here I am shoved in this insane scenario doing these crazy stunts. What more could you ask for? I got to go all over Mexico and England and Scotland. Not only that, I got to swim with dolphins and ride in a tank and ride on jet skis and all kinds of wild stuff. I couldn’t have asked for more. It was truly, truly amazing. That’s why they call it The Amazing Race.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Interview with Dennis and Andre... someguy 10-23-02 1
   RE: Interview with Dennis and Andre... MsShel330 10-23-02 2

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

someguy 24 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-23-02, 08:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail someguy Click to send private message to someguy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Interview with Dennis and Andrew"
Here's another interview at PlanetOut.com

Andrew Hyde, the openly gay cheerleader from Kentucky, and his father Dennis, were the third team eliminated from "The Amazing Race 3." But judging from what we saw on the reality series (which airs on CBS Wednesday nights from 9 to 10 p.m. ET), it looked like they managed to have a good time while traveling from Mexico City to Cancun to London and ultimately Aberdeen, Scotland. Along the way, the father-son duo embarked on all sorts of wild adventures, with Andrew diving amongst dolphins to retrieve a clue and his dad navigating a tank through an obstacle course in record time.
Following a mini media blitz, during which the friendly and funny 21-year-old appeared on "The Early Show" and "The Caroline Rhea Show," Andrew is now at home in Lexington, Kentucky, settling back into his real life. He has taken a break from Eastern Kentucky University, where he was studying broadcasting and theater, and has begun working full time as the youth development director at a community center in downtown Lexington.

Is being on "The Amazing Race" truly the adventure it seems on TV?

I think watching it at home, you can never get the full grasp of what you go through physically, mentally and even spiritually. Even I had never fathomed just how different it really would be. It's a totally different world when you're actually racing.

Do you really get to enjoy the scenery and take in all of the places you visit? Or are you preoccupied with meeting deadlines and progressing in the race against the other teams?

That really depends on the contestants. A lot of teams you'll see are very hardcore, competitive, cutthroat people, and I don't see how they really enjoyed that. They seemed stressed out too much. Myself and my dad, we were a little bit more laid back, and we made it a point just to relax a little bit, like when we were on top of the pyramid (in Mexico) and things like that. We'd say, "Stop. Let's take a second to look around." We did that almost everywhere we went, during all the tasks that we did. We'd just stop, take a deep breath, look around, then start running again. But at least we stopped to take a look. I think that's very important. It made it so much more enjoyable. When you're competing in the race, a lot of teams' motivation is winning a million dollars. My motivation was to have a good time and just see things that I had never seen before and may never get to see again.

Was your father hesitant about going on the show?

I think both of us had our ups and downs. He was a little bit worried that maybe they wouldn't show us in a good light. He was afraid that the differences between us -- he's a conservative southern Baptist and I'm his openly gay son -- would be really exploited. And there was a point where he said, "I don't want to do this." But then I basically just sat down and talked to him and said, "Do this for me. Do this with me." And he really just opened up.

Did undertaking this challenge with your father change your relationship with him?

Oh man, the race has changed our relationship forever, and that's not being overly dramatic. That's not me trying to create a story -- it's true. I guess my dad and I have never spent that much time together just one on one. Who has? We were together side by side , and I think that either makes or breaks a relationship. I was worried at the beginning. I was like, "We're either going to come home as best friends or we're going to come home hating each other." We really came home as best friends. We have a whole lot of differences, but somehow those differences really pulled us together and really helped us out in the long run.

Was there any particular moment during the race where you looked at your dad and thought how proud you were of him?

He drove the tank, and he kicked ass. It was great. I was extremely proud of him then, but I guess more on an emotional level I was just proud he could keep his cool the whole time and just enjoy it like I did. He let everything roll off his back, and a lot of the teams were ugly to each other. We really stayed away from that. It was cool to see him kick back and have more fun than most of the 20-something kids.

I have to say that a lot of the younger teams are consumed with beating the twins -- Derek and Drew -- and they are mean and nasty about it. It's not like Derek and Drew have done anything but be solid competitors. What did you think of them? Is there any reason for some of the other teams to dislike them so much?

My dad and I both loved Derek and Drew. We thought they were so nice. They were the coolest guys. We were on the 24-hour bus ride with them sitting right behind them.

Do you think the other teams were jealous of them?

Yeah, I think so. I guess I really got to know Derek and Drew on a personal level, just hanging out, and I think they're great. You're right: It comes from a lot of jealousy. They're attractive. They're physically fit, and not only that, but the winners of the past two have been two 20-something or 30-something males. So everyone was determined not to let that happen again on "The Amazing Race 3." It didn't bother me. I was like, "Let the best man win." If they were jerks, or they were conceited, I may have felt differently. But they weren't. They were extremely nice guys.

There were three out gay men on "The Amazing Race 3." There was you, Ken and Aaron. It was great to see three gay men on the same show rather than just one token gay man.

Of course, any TV show is going to want to cover as many demographics as they can, and normally one gay person seems to suffice for them. But I think CBS has a lot of balls. They really stand up to the plate and cast who is best for the show. Not only that, but the gay community in one aspect. Here, there are three of us, and all three of us are different.

How long have you been out?

I've been out since I was 17, and I live pretty much in the Bible Belt of America here in Kentucky. For the most part, I'd say everybody has been hugely supportive. My family and my friends have done nothing but congratulate me and stand behind me. But when I walk through the mall, there are still people that snicker or look the other way. It's always going to be that way, but it doesn't bother me.

Do you think being on "The Amazing Race" will make a difference in how you are treated? Do you think maybe someone who might have snickered at you for being gay in the past might see you in a different light now that they've gotten to know you through the show?

I think that I was portrayed very well on the show. I was the smiling cheerleader. And I think that does make people a little bit more comfortable with me. A lot of people I wouldn't expect to are coming up to me here in Kentucky. Guys in cowboy boots and wife-beaters, who you think might be against me, are coming up to me and saying, "Oh my gosh. You are hilarious. We were rooting for you." I hear that all the time. So I think this has opened up a lot of doors. Not only that, but I have my own Web site, Kentuckyandrew.com, and I've gotten hundreds of e-mails from 17-year-olds and 18-year-olds saying, "Your story with your dad is so great. You're such a role model to us, and we love your personality." I've been sobbing reading these letters.

Do you think maybe your being on the show has also improved the image of cheerleaders? Male cheerleaders get made fun of all the time.

Actually, a lot of people say, "Oh, you're a guy cheerleader, so you're gay." But every guy I've ever cheered with -- which is probably 45 guys over the past eight years -- have all been straight. So I was sort of promoting the gay stereotype. I kind of feel bad for some of my buddies, but at the same time I think I showed cheerleaders are somewhat intelligent and know how to have a good time.

If you could retrace your travels on "The Amazing Race," is there any one place you'd like to go back to?

I thought London was absolutely beautiful. It was such a quick drive through there, but I'd definitely love to go back there and stay awhile. Also, I'd like to stay on Cozumel again. I got to swim with the dolphins, but I had to do it so quickly I didn't get to enjoy it. That's one of my new life goals -- to swim with the dolphins again. I didn't get to pet them -- that kind of bummed me out.

Are there any perks to your newfound celebrity?

In New York, I got to go on "The Early Show" and "The Caroline Rhea Show." I made a grand entrance through the curtain . It was really funny. I've gotten free t-shirts at stores here . I've signed all kinds of autographs, and I've gotten discounts off my food at the food court in the mall.

You know you've made it when you're getting a discount at the food court!

It's fun, and I love it. People come up to me a lot, and they're like, "I don't mean to bother you. I'm sure you're sick of this, but I just want to say you did a good job." And I'm like, "You're not bothering me!" That tickles me to death. I love talking about this. It is such a huge part of my life right now, and I love talking to people about it and telling my inside scoop.d

MsShel330 695 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-23-02, 10:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MsShel330 Click to send private message to MsShel330 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Interview with Dennis and Andrew"
Thanks for the interviews. Dennis and Andy seem like nice guys. That confirmed that the twins are actually nice and that the other teams are being petty in going after them. I still want to see another kind of team win but if the twins do win I won't mind as much as last year when Chex won.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •