The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Roadtrips...your amusing observations"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

echogirl 2120 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

11-21-03, 02:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail echogirl Click to send private message to echogirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Roadtrips...your amusing observations"
Okay last week I was traveling from my current residence to my future residence. An 11 hour drive from Dallas to Albuquerque. I've driven 287 countless times and have probably stopped at every Allsups from Chilicothe to Claude. At every Dairy Queen. I have pee'd in in Quanah, Memphis, and Estelline. Every time I pass through these towns it seems like I am passing through a time capsule. Until I see something that just doesn't fit! Like a phreaking cowboy driving a Ferrari in Clarendon. Or camels roaming some ranch just outside of Iowa Park. Texans can be kinda weird, but I realize that's part of our appeal. Kinda sad because I'm leaving soon!

Anyway, one thing I love about roadtrips are seeing all the cool signs. Everyone is proud of their towns, no matter how bleak or how boring they look to the passing traveler. In Childress they ask you to stay the night, or stay awhile longer. I'm assuming those who stay longer probably were pulled over by a state trooper and were carrying more than luggage. I mean somehow I don't see Childress as a hot tourist attraction. But gosh darnit it's Texas! Somewhere along 287 I passed "It I'll Do Motel". I admire truth in advertising and always wanted to stay there. I can picture the lumpy mattress, the fuzzy TV with only two channels, and the carpet full of cigarette burn holes. I'm pretty sure you could open your back window and see cows, and better yet smell the cow poo. The parking lot was gravel, and I saw a couple of 18 wheelers, so I'm sure I would have received unwanted sexual advances as well. But I will admit from the road it had that Texas charm.

When I arrived in Amarillo I was tempted to head north to Dumas where they have my all-time favorite billboard; "Dumas Home of the Ding Dong Daddies". I'm not really sure what a Ding Dong Daddy is, but I know their are no Hostess Plants in Dumas. Everytime I see that sign I become more curious. I sincerely doubt Dumas is a hotbed for Rap Music, nor do I think the mayor of Dumas is a pimp, so I've concluded the men of Dumas must be well-endowed. I've stopped in Dumas for gas and a Dilly Bar at the local Dairy Queen and I did observe several men walking kinda funny. At the time I thought it was because their jeans were too tight or their boots hurt their feet, but I am now convinced that they are all packing something extra. I wonder what the women of Dumas think of all of this.

Anyway I wasn't headed north, I was headed west. Bushland, Vega, Adrian, Glenrio, and then the state line. You can smell Vega ten miles away. They have a fertilizer plant or something. Just a bunch of cow poo. It really stinks! But what I found amusing was this "RV Park" less than 1/8 of a mile from this poo field. I mean the stench was maddening and you wouldn't think someone would actually park their RV next to this crap, much less pay to park their RV next to this crap, or try to sleep next to this crap. Wrong! Texans are strange.

To be continued? Probably not!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observ... woeisme1 11-21-03 1
 RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observ... Draco Malfoy 11-21-03 2
 RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observ... pythonfan 11-21-03 3
   RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observ... AugustGirl 11-21-03 7
       RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observ... pythonfan 11-21-03 10
           RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observ... AugustGirl 11-21-03 11
 RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observ... Schnookie Palookie 11-21-03 4
   Fireworks stands Tiger Lily 11-21-03 6
 Signs along the way Canada Girl 11-21-03 5
   RE: Signs along the way FarmBoy 11-21-03 8
   RE: Signs along the way KeithFan 11-21-03 12
 RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observ... pythonfan 11-21-03 9
 RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observ... StarryLuna 11-22-03 13
 RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observ... KObrien_fan 11-22-03 14
   RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observ... Tiger Lily 11-23-03 15
       RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observ... KObrien_fan 11-23-03 16
   RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observ... Schnookie Palookie 11-23-03 17
 RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observ... Swami 11-23-03 18
   RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observ... KObrien_fan 11-23-03 19

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

woeisme1 4081 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

11-21-03, 03:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail woeisme1 Click to send private message to woeisme1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observations"
>To be continued? Probably not!

Why? I was so enjoying your tale.

I saw"I've driven 287" and I thought of my mainland home and 287 runs north and south. Through the only cemetary in the Guiness book of records. Why, you ask? Because it's the only cemmetary in the world that has a hiway running through the middle of it. Strange but true.

But it is a lovely town and very artist friendly, with many statues placed throughout town. Hundreds of statues. And every August they have a huge art fest/fair inviting hundreds of artists of evey kind to it from all over the world. It's a 3 day event.

Sorry-I got carried away there. But I love your story.

Happy Hawaiian Thanksgiving (Turkey)
I was going to refuse to post to you but I realized that if I didn't tell you, how would you know I was ignoring you?--Pythonfan

Draco Malfoy 10525 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-21-03, 08:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Draco%20Malfoy Click to send private message to Draco%20Malfoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observations"
Wow. Someone else actually knows where Quanah is. I have family there. Not many these days, but there's still 1 or 2 hanging on.

Hasn't driven 287 lately, but used to on a regular basis.
Start Weight:339 Last Weigh-in:294.5 Loss To Date:-44.5

pythonfan 3348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-21-03, 08:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail pythonfan Click to send private message to pythonfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observations"
Just wanted to reply to your post to up your count

I don't really have a road trip story, but a funny name story.

When BIL and SIL got married a few years ago, my DH was in the wedding. The rehearsal dinner was at a place called Lickety Split. Fine dining, that place.

(Lima, Ohio...be very afraid)

My (other) BIL and I still get a good kick out of it. I thought MIL was going to separate us at the dinner because we were giggling so much. hee

Is there another word for synonym? --George Carlin

AugustGirl 11534 desperate attention whore postings

11-21-03, 12:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AugustGirl Click to send private message to AugustGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observations"
OMH! My very good friend Lydia is from Lima and her mother's favorite restaurant is the Lickety Split. Every time she goes home to visit mom she has to take her to the Lickety Split. And when she would come back from her visit we'd have to ask Lydia how things at the Split are! Always makes us giggle too.

Too funny!

11-21-03, 01:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pythonfan Click to send private message to pythonfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observations"
That's almost frightening. LOL

But still...a rehearsal dinner?

(have I mentioned that SIL is a tad strange?)

- "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." -Mark Twain

AugustGirl 11534 desperate attention whore postings

11-21-03, 01:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AugustGirl Click to send private message to AugustGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observations"
Some things just make you go "huh".

Lydia is very glad she no longer lives in Lima.

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

11-21-03, 09:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Schnookie%20Palookie Click to send private message to Schnookie%20Palookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observations"
LOL Echo! I always love your stories.

"so I've concluded the men of Dumas must be well-endowed. I've stopped in Dumas for gas and a Dilly Bar at the local Dairy Queen and I did observe several men walking kinda funny. At the time I thought it was because their jeans were too tight or their boots hurt their feet, but I am now convinced that they are all packing something extra. I wonder what the women of Dumas think of all of this."

BWAHAHAHA!

I don't have any amusing stories to tell. I do have some road trip observations though.

Whenever we drive to Florida, I'm always amazed at how many elderly peeps are driving on the road with their clothes hanging across a bar across the width of the back seat. Don't they own luggage?

Whenever we drive through Alabama, I'm always amazed at the amount of Firework stores there are. And, Piggly Wiggly's

*I miss Rupie*

Tiger Lily 1679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

11-21-03, 12:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tiger%20Lily Click to send private message to Tiger%20Lily Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Fireworks stands"
My favorite part of driving to Wyoming. Right after you cross the border, there is store after store with these huge signs, selling all kinds of fireworks ('cause they're illegal in Colorado). And the first few days in July, they have to set up sort of a border patrol to make sure no one is smuggling fireworks into CO.

Vows never to touch another pancake again, just 'cause she *hearts* JSlice.

Canada Girl 3340 desperate attention whore postings

11-21-03, 11:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Canada%20Girl Click to send private message to Canada%20Girl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Signs along the way"
My two favorite signs that I pass when on road trips are:

S&M Family Restaurant. I've never eaten (or been beaten) there. It's in the middle of nowhere and I think Sam and Mary just didn't think their name through.

Absolutly NO Tresspassing. Potatoes for Sale. . I love love love this one. It's on the side of the road outside a Mennonite Colony. It always cracks me up, the two signs side by side.

FarmBoy 2618 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

11-21-03, 01:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FarmBoy Click to send private message to FarmBoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Signs along the way"
<S&M Family Restaurant. I've never eaten (or been beaten) there.>

Bawahahwhahwhahwhahahwhaha!!!

Bovinated BR549- An Original Draco Masterpiece
Charter Member of the Tennessee 1000 Alliance

KeithFan 7422 desperate attention whore postings

11-21-03, 10:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Signs along the way"
He he he..

That's right up there with the "RoadHummer" chain in my area.

11-21-03, 01:05 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observations"
Oooh I thought of a road trip story.

Well, my sister and I always have road trip stories, but no one ever finds them nearly as amusing as we do.

Okay, first off, no road trip is ever complete without the "Maurice" song. Yeah, I know that's not the name of it...but you know what I mean ...The Joker, Steve Miller Band...I knew it would come to me. LOL Oh yeah, and Hotel California. Because, well, it's a requirement (you'd think I'd just buy the CD's LOL)

Also, we always end up at wal-mart wherever we go. Oh, and we always get lost. Always. Even if we've been there 100 times. Our most recent trip was a few weeks ago shopping in Indy. We made it into the city to the mall just fine. We ended up making a completely useless loop around the city trying to find our way out - have I mentioned that I believe most cities in Indiana are actually Hotel California??? Okay, anyway, after driving all that way and only making purchases at stores we have here we stopped at a wal-mart on our way out of town. I decided (where's that BOING meter?) to buy an atlas. I came *this close* to buying the one with the "wal-mart directory" but opted for the "easy to read" version instead...I probably need it.

Well, anyway, we almost always get lost. Lafayette Indiana...you can't get out of that town. Springfield, IL. I swear, it's a straight shot from here, ONE ROAD...but when you go to the fair you have to take a different route out of town and we get lost EVERY. Stinking. Time.

We always have great fun though.

Oh and this last time we were searching the airwaves for 80's stations. I found one taking requests, called in and asked for "Pour Some Sugar On Me" - and about 45 minutes later, nearly peed my pants when I heard myself on the radio. See, really, you'd have had to been there, but it was good fun.

That is all.

- "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." -Mark Twain

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

11-22-03, 09:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail StarryLuna Click to send private message to StarryLuna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observations"
I live in Virginia and almost all my family (except for my dad, fiance and future MIL) live in the northeast, so I take several road trips a year. On the way to my fiance's grandparents, there's a city called Parole that's home to a prison. Last Christmas, my dad and I followed a minivan for about 3 or 4 miles because they had a tv and were watching "Home Alone."

Unfortunately, I always seem to run into windshield problems. I got my first car in 2000 (when I was 21). Ahhh...my 1987 Nissan Stanza. I was so proud of it. The first time I drove north, I was on 87 outside of New York City where they've been doing road construction for about 4 years. Of course, a rock flew up and cracked my windshield. This summer, my Stanza was biting the dust just as I was about to leave for the north. My dad decided I needed to get a new car, so the day before I left, I bought a 2001 Honda Civic. The next day I headed north and on 95 north outside of Washington DC, a rock flew up and cracked my windshield!

A JSlice of holiday spirit!

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

11-22-03, 09:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observations"
Brand new to OT, invited by Buckeyegirl who stole me from Survivor Spoilers, so here goes...

I love road trips, I love to drive and can do so for long stretches at a time, I have a pretty good sense of direction, and can usually find the best route to take even if unfamiliar with the area. This particular time in my life I was traveling with my fiancee' a professional pool player from South Carolina, we were traveling all over the northeast together on a tour of different tournaments and exhibitions. By the time we got to Kalamazoo Michigan, I had had enough of this man, and decided that it was now or never, I was going to leave him. It was his car, and he had all the money, all I had was 20 dollars in my pocket. (I was 31 at the time)

My sister lived just north of Chicago, and with one phone call, I found out I could get from Kalamazoo to Chicago via bus for $18. I had all my possesions in the car (1 suitcase and a pillow), and I asked the man at the front desk of the pool hall if he would mind giving me a ride to the bus station. He could tell I was leaving for good, and since I had helped out at the tournament, he gave me a $50 bill and a ride to the bus station. My sister met me, and from there I planned my trip back to Vermont.

I figured out the cost to rent a Uhaul from SC to VT, plus food and expenses, and ended up borrowing $1000 from my family. I took the bus from Chicago to Columbia (22 hour trip), and then packed all my stuff. I took about a 4 hour nap and then rented a Uhaul, and plotted my trip to VT with 1 stop in PA for an overnight. (since straight through would have been 20 hours).

There were a couple of very comical moments on this trip. First of all, the Uhaul gas gauge did not work, and I could only estimate how many miles per gallon I would get (about 7 in fact). So every 150 miles or so, I would stop and get gas, just to be safe. I decided that since I was pretty tired, I would get as far as I could and then look for a motel just off the highway, hopefully once I hit PA so that I would have just over half the trip left the next day when I woke up.

That was a good plan, so around 9pm I started pulling off the highway just after I crossed into PA. No vacancies. I get gas, hop back on highway continuing North, go about 30 miles and pull off again, no vacancies. I'm thinking what the heck? This continues for the next 2 hours. There was nothing anywhere that had an open room. Its now around midnight and I am spent, can't believe it. The next place I stop is about 60 miles from the border of NY state, and it is here I find that all the hotels and motels are booked because its parents weekend at all the colleges. UGH! I asked the clerk to call ahead up the road and see if any of the other motels in the chain would have a room, luckily they had 1 room left but it was still 60 miles away. I didn't have a credit card, but they held it for me as long as I could get there by 2am.

I got there in time, and crashed onto the bed thinking I didn't care when I woke up, VT would be there when I got there. I didn't sleep as long as I would have wanted, out of force of habit I was wide awake by 7am. I got a quick breakfast, and some gas and headed north, still about 8 hours from home.

It started to rain. Usually no problem, I don't mind driving in the rain. But I am in a Uhaul truck. It leaks. It leaked bad actually. Not only did it leak in back where my stuff was (and no they dont insure that ), but it leaked up front and dribbled all over my foot on the gas pedal. It was a cold day. My foot was very uncomfortable before too long. I stopped at the next gas station, and got a plastic bag to put on my foot, put my shoe back on, and that was a lot better.

The highway in NY was under construction at one part of the trip. The normally wide highway was narrowed by jersey barriers and as I was rounding a turn, rain pouring down, hard to see the road, fog pretty bad, I was passing a truck and it was kicking up some stuff, and to make it worse, every 50 ft or so was a drain dip that my left tire kept hitting into as I was trying to stay in a straight line around the curve! My nerves were frayed, but undaunted I moved on, thinking, I am almsot home, just 6 more hours!

Well, I made it to Ticonderoga and knew I was only miles away from the Crown Point Bridge that would take me to within 14 miles of my other sisters house and my salvation. It is now dusk, around 6:30pm, not raining anymore, but dark out. It has been a while since I had been through this way, but as often happens, you remember a shortcut. The only problem is, being dark, the shortcut doesn't quite stick out like a sore thumb, and consequently I took a quite circuitous route to the bridge.

I finally did make it, and though I don't remember many of the road signs or billboards, I will never forget the leaky Uhaul, the no vacancies in Pennsylvannia, and the fact that I was able to get home on my own from Kalamazoo!!!!!

PS- I had left a note for my pool playing fiancee' to tell him I was leaving, and it wasn't until 5 years later that I ran into him at a pool tournament in Portland Maine. He understood why I had left like I did, but never asked how I got home.

Tiger Lily 1679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

11-23-03, 01:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tiger%20Lily Click to send private message to Tiger%20Lily Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observations"
Wow! Thanks for sharing your story. You must be a very determined, independent and strong person. Very admirable.

And welcome to OT! I've seen your posts on Spoilers, and we're glad to have you here as well. Beware, though. It's addicting!

The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw.

11-23-03, 09:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observations"
Thanks Lily, I do have lots of stories to share and have found this to be a very addicting site already.

(and as for independent, I am a real Vermonter, need I say more?)

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

11-23-03, 09:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Schnookie%20Palookie Click to send private message to Schnookie%20Palookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observations"
Hi KO! Welcome to OT. I've seen you over at spoilers and I'm happy Buckeyegirl dragged you over here to OT. Hope you stay cause it's lots of fun!!

*I loved Kathy O also*

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

11-23-03, 01:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observations"
I love all the road trip stories! And the signs too. I want to have the "special" at the S&M Family Restaurant, LOL.

Anyway, this is my road trip story, which I wrote for one of the SB Story Competitions a while ago...

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID31/30.shtml

Swami

11-23-03, 03:56 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Roadtrips...your amusing observations"
Yes I am sure that at the S&M restaurant they know how to properly beat the eggs!

OMG Swami that story is so funny, I nearly fell out of my chair laughing as I could picture it all perfectly. Well told, and not gross given the subject matter! WOW!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •