The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Bellapunga 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-29-04, 11:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bellapunga Click to send private message to Bellapunga Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!!"
I am doing a speech about reality tv shows at my school and I was wondering if some of you could tell me...Why do watch reality t.v. shows? Why do you find them interesting? THANK YOU

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!! realityjunky 04-29-04 1
   RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!! Bellapunga 04-30-04 2
 RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!! brvnkrz 04-30-04 3
 RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!! PagongRatEater 04-30-04 4
 RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!! Sweater_Puffs 04-30-04 5
 RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!! Mon Cherie 05-03-04 6
   RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!! RyrieRae 05-03-04 7
 RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!! Vicy82 05-05-04 8
   RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!! Bellapunga 05-05-04 9
       RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!! PagongRatEater 05-06-04 10
       RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!! amthorn 01-28-05 11
 RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!! ladro 01-28-05 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

realityjunky 53 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-29-04, 11:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail realityjunky Click to send private message to realityjunky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!!"
cool speech idea...I watch because I like to see people compete and no matter how much I watch football I just don't get it. I wouldn't be surprised if more women than men watch reality shows because unlike sports we get the human interaction and conversations...the stuff we ladies are known for...You rarely see that in sports...except for some of the uber personalities...Come to think of it the reason I don't like watching sports that much is because somebody always shushs me...hum...come to think of it that's what I do when my family talks during Survivor or The Bachelor...So that's just my humble opinion...hope it helps

04-30-04, 00:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bellapunga Click to send private message to Bellapunga Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!!"
thank you. That does help me. I dont get sprts either

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-30-04, 00:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!!"
I started watching Reality TV because it was something new from the same boring shows that were on TV. It was interesting to watch real people getting their 15 minutes of fame. I no longer think that real people ae cast in these shows that are now just unscripted TV though. Now I watch because it's like a drug and I really just can't stop. It's fun to watch the stupid drama of spoiled people. It's funny to watch what new ideas they can come up with and just how ridiculous people can be. I love the competition. I like the fact that with some of them it is just an escape from reality. If that isn't irony, escape reality to watch reality tv? It's still fun to see how people react when beng filmed and to see how far they will go for money. It's great people watching. It's like watching strangers walk past you in an airport only you get to peak a little bit more into their lives. It's an interesting lesson in Anthropology.

if you don't have anything nice to say, come sit next to me.
CASH Wine gopher

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-04, 04:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!!"
It is very much like sports without the scoreboard - there are people to cheer for, people to cheer against and many twists and turns before the end. You can empthize with the players, because they are (for the most part) regular people. So, you can put yourself in their place and feel almost like part of the show, like this is something that YOU can do.

Personally, I find the shows a lot more entertaining than "scripted television" because it IS unpredictable - but also becuase there is a competition factor. I love the competitive aspects of the show, but it is more than skill or brains or strength that determines the winner.

There is also a "no way" factor. You can't believe real people are putting themselves into this real situation. There something salicious about watching other people degrade themselves for money or "love" or the sake of television.

There are three catagories of show, in my mind. The competition show like Survivor and Amazing Race and Mole; they find a winning formula that appeals to a specific audience and repeat it. People get tied into the franchise and tend to watch over and over again because it appeals to them for some specific reason. The second kind is dating shows like Bachelor, meet the Parents - almost a subset of the first catagory and very similar except competition is only secondary to relationships. The last type is the SHOCK shows - they take a strange concept (Joe Millionare, Midget Marriage, Big Fat Fiance) and play it out to the end; rarely do these shows have successful follow ups. We watch to see what it is and move on after discovery.

Just my $.02.

Sweater_Puffs 269 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-30-04, 07:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sweater_Puffs Click to send private message to Sweater_Puffs Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!!"
I love to analyze them and pick them apart. It's fun.

The way these people act actually cured a friend of mine. He is an average joe (perfectly good looking to me), and he was always pining away for the hot babes but never had the courage to get to know one. Then he took a hard look at the babes they show on the bachelor and was pretty much rehabed out of wanting someone on the basis of looks alone. It's like he was released from a prison of sorts. I argued with him that not all good looking women are that superficial/needy/beechie/mean etc. and he knows that.

At the expense of watching the follies of others (who willfully signed up for the show), it sometimes makes you feel even more grateful for what you have.

Mon Cherie 1813 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-03-04, 04:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Mon%20Cherie Click to send private message to Mon%20Cherie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!!"
I watch reality shows because I am a glutton for punishment. Well, that's what my boyfriend says anyways.

I'm a grad student in Psychology, so shows like Survivor interest me the most because I love to see how each person's mind works, what might be their next move based on their personality, etc. Big Brother is interesting to me for similar reasons, though much less than Survivor.

Most other reality shows I watch (RW,RR,MBFOF) are for sheer mindless entertainment and the hope that one day I might see Coral knock Julie out.

Good luck with your speech!
Mon

An IceCat/Mon Cherie Production
"You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love."
-Henry Drummond

RyrieRae 416 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-03-04, 08:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RyrieRae Click to send private message to RyrieRae Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!!"
I used to watch the psychology of people and how they adapt, socialize etcetera. But now I have become obsessed with trying to crack the editing code. There are always big twists in these shows, the biggest being the finale and who will win. Week by week I pay close attention to what is edited and try to figure out the outcome based on these clues. It really is fun.

Vicy82 16 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-05-04, 04:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Vicy82 Click to send private message to Vicy82 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!!"
Reality tv has a power previously held by saop operas. No matter how "crappy" a reality tv show is, we have to finish watching to see what will happen. These are REAL people, so when someone does or says something stupid...they mean it. In a movie, if someone does something stupid, we have to remind ourselves, "it's only a movie". With reality tv we say, "man this guys is stupid".

2. Drama, most of these shows have a lot of drama. No matter what type of show, even shows that seem exclusive competitive, like "American Idol". And all the "live-together" shows are guaranteed drama. We love it!!!

3. Romance (or showmance). That always keeps me tuned in.

4.Backstabbing-we love to see backstabber. We hate them, but they make good tv.

I think reality tv producers took all the components that make a soap opera addictive and applied it to reality tv. I honestly belive they case people from different backgrounds, upbringing, etc, hoping these people will rub each other the wrong way. Look at the apprentice, Trump's people know what makes good tv, and I think they casted people that would make good tv not good apprentices. Otherwise why would anyone choose Omarosa?

Good luck!!

05-05-04, 11:33 PM (EST)
9. "RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!!"
Thank You everyone. My speech went very well.

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

05-06-04, 04:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!!"
You're welcome. Hope you stick around SB. There is definitely something here for everyone.

amthorn 1 desperate attention whore postings

01-28-05, 03:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail amthorn Click to send private message to amthorn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!!"
I am about to encounter an essay on Reality TV which will eventually turn into a Thesis on the Media and how viewers are sucked in to other persons lives...

I am addicted to some of these shows so it should not be that hard to write!! LOL

Looking for the same success you had!

ladro 1168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-28-05, 07:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ladro Click to send private message to ladro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!!"
1. T&A
2. Reality TV provides me with a sense of moral, emotional, and intellectual superiority.
3. I enjoy the challenge of predicting the winner.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •