The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Penis on "Big Brother""
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Big Brother Bashers Forum (Protected)
Original message

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-15-05, 09:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Penis on "Big Brother""
LAST EDITED ON 08-15-05 AT 10:12 AM (EST)

No, I'm not talking about Jennifer.

I find "Big Brother" fascinating for many reasons, but the most important one focuses on the difference between what the audience can learn about that show compared to other reality shows. "Big Brother" features live feeds so those who are really interested in the show can watch what is happening 24/7. I don't have the time to watch those feeds myself, but I like visiting those sites that provide fairly detailed daily summaries of what happened in the house.

Of course, "Big Brother" only airs for an hour on three nights a week. That means that the producers have to distill seven days worth of activity into just three segments of about forty-five minutes each. That allows for a lot of creative editing. I am constantly amazed at the narrative that the editors and producers present to the viewing audience. It is usually completely different than what "live feeders" know is really happening in the house.

I find many reality shows interesting because of what the participants tell us about American social, cultural, and political attitude. "Big Brother" takes it a step further by giving very direct evidence of how the creators of the show can shape and distort events to present a narrative that they think the American public wants to see or will find entertaining.

That is a long way of getting around to saying that I was disappointed, even disgusted, by the footage that appeared on Saturday night's episode of "Big Brother." The editors had days of footage from dozens of cameras to work with --- but they couldn't find anything better to broadcast than a segment in which Howie looks over the door of the shower stall to get a glimpse of Beau's "chocolate peepee." Howie was so impressed that he insisted that all the women in the house also have a look. Then we saw a clip of Ivette (more than once) chanting about Beau's chocolate peepee. April had to go back for a second look.

Gee, a black man with a large cock! Thanks, CBS! I always wondered if the rumors were true, but now that Howie and the witches in the "Big Brother" house can attest to the size of Beau's schlong all of American knows for certain. I am tempted to say that this is an all-time low for the "Big Brother" producers, but they have done some pretty sleazy things in the past, to both the houseguests and the viewers.

The glorification of the black man/huge dick stereotype was what I found most offensive, but there was plenty more that was rather distressing in that segment. I think that most of the asshats in that house are too ignorant to be embarrassed to have the cameras recording their every word.

Let's start with Howie's choice of words: "chocolate peepee." Howie's infantilized sexuality, commonly evidenced through his constant fourth-grade chatter about "boobies" and now his reference to another guy's "peepee," gets on my nerves. Howie wants to be a stud, but he can't get past using a language that codes him as an inexperienced adolescent.

I know that his use of the word "chocolate" could be debated. Some people might find that empowering. After all, Ivette, herself a brown-skinned person, did her little chant about the chocolate peepee (though nobody has ever accused Ivette of being sensitive). I know that I have seen too many internet personal ads in which a white person says "not into chocolate" to be completely comfortable with Howie using that word. At the very least, I have to question why it was necessary to include it as a descriptor. Why not just talk about Beau's peepee instead of his chocolate peepee? After all, it is quite obvious by looking at Beau that he is a black man. Can't we all assume that his penis will generally match his skin tone? For some reason, Howie felt compelled to use the word "chocolate" and I think it was a way of coding Beau as different, as exotic, as The Other.

Howie has a long history in the "Big Brother" house of being fascinated with Beau's sexuality and playing a game of chicken when it comes to flirting with Beau. Boldly walking over to the shower stall to peer over the door at a naked Beau was merely an escalation of all that came previously.

Curiously, Howie only suggested that the women in the house, none of the other men, sneak a peak at Beau's goodies. If it was that impressive, then why not make sure that everybody had been "exposed" to it? Obviously, none of the other guys would have looked. For my part, I'll chalk that up to two things: penis envy (what if I'm not as large?) and latent homophobia (what if somebody thinks I'm gay because I show a healthy interest in the human body?).

Ah, latent homophobia. That brings us to April! She initially did not want to look at Beau's penis because she is a married woman worried about what her husband might think. "It's OK, April," several of the houseguests explained, "because Beau is gay." They managed to convince her that Beau's sexuality somehow made it less of a betrayal to scope out another man's cock because April later had some convoluted and nonsensical explanation for why it was fine for her to have a look. Focusing on Beau being gay as justification for being able to freely look at his cock was just another way of Othering him. Why did it matter that Beau would not be physcially attracted to the women who were looking at his body? They were the ones deriving some sort of gratification out of this encounter. They were the ones who could have been sexually aroused in this situation. As a gay man, I know that I find lots of straight guys attractive even though I know they are not the right sexual orientation to feel the same in return. I find it hard to beleive that the same could not hold true for the straight "Big Brother" women when it comes to a gay guy. All the rationale about Beau being gay was just a smokescreen for their own insecurities and longings --- a smokescreen that coded gayness as the Other and straightness as the Universal. It was conventient for April. She went back for a second look.

Yes, that second look! That takes me to the last point that I wanted to make. The freedom that they all felt in taking a first look and then the audacity to step up to gawk again. Beau's body was on display for their amusement and gratification. I wonder if it had been James or the now-departed Crappy in the shower if anybody would have had the nerve to stroll on over and have a good look and then encourage others to do the same. Perhaps in my professional training I have read too many accounts of nineteenth-century slave auctions, many of them personal accounts written by escaped slaves, to be completely comfortable with the way that the black man's body was sensationalized and put on display.

And instead of discussions about strategy, this is what the producers chose to present to the American public. Yup, reality television continues to tell us a lot about American society and culture. Sometimes it's really disappointing what is revealed.

courtesy of Seana and Syren - thanks gals!

edited because one of the ##### made it by me the first time... I really do knwo how to use the words "dick" and "cock."

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" okaychatt 08-15-05 1
 RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" Swami 08-15-05 2
 RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" Estee 08-15-05 3
   RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" HistoryDetective 08-15-05 7
       RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" Estee 08-15-05 8
       RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" SpoonStruck 08-15-05 11
           RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" Estee 08-15-05 12
           RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" HistoryDetective 08-15-05 14
               Beau's Position SpoonStruck 08-15-05 22
                   RE: Beau's Position HistoryDetective 08-15-05 23
                       RE: Beau's Position SpoonStruck 08-15-05 26
           SpoonStruck Bebo 08-15-05 16
 RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" Snidget 08-15-05 4
 RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" kingfish 08-15-05 5
 RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" Estee 08-15-05 6
 Lower even than Fox's standards FesterFan1 08-15-05 9
   RE: Lower even than Fox's standards Estee 08-15-05 10
   RE: Lower even than Fox's standards SpoonStruck 08-15-05 17
       Double standards. Estee 08-15-05 19
           RE: Double standards. SpoonStruck 08-15-05 24
               RE: Double standards. Estee 08-15-05 25
       Disagree FesterFan1 08-15-05 20
           RE: Disagree Estee 08-15-05 21
           RE: Disagree SpoonStruck 08-15-05 27
 RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" SpoonStruck 08-15-05 13
   RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" HistoryDetective 08-15-05 15
       RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" SpoonStruck 08-15-05 18
           RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" ginger 08-15-05 28
 RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" Lasann 08-15-05 29
   RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" syren 08-15-05 30
 RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" strid333 08-16-05 31
 RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" okaychatt 08-16-05 32
 RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" SpoonStruck 08-16-05 33
 OMH!!! KScott 08-17-05 34
 Sorry HD..... shakes the clown 08-17-05 35
   RE: Sorry HD..... HistoryDetective 08-17-05 36
       How queer SpoonStruck 08-17-05 39
       RE: Sorry HD..... Tahj 08-17-05 40
   Shakes FesterFan1 08-17-05 37
   RE: Sorry HD..... LibraRising 08-17-05 41
 RE: The Penis on "Big Brother" Majic Mitch 08-17-05 38

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

08-15-05, 10:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
HD - You are so right. At the same time, the mass media is almost always going to go for the lowest common denominator in hopes of attracting the masses.

I know these hamsters are bored to death - no books, no magazines, no tv, no DVDs, no music, no computers, no boundaries, and no privacy. Plus, they're strapped with the same boring people day in and day out. I don't know about you, but I'd be stark raving mad within a week.

I'd like to think I would think things through the way you have and act accordingly. But these hamsters didn't have much to think with from the get go. They entered the house as lowest common denominator reps of the general public, and I don't hold out much hope that they would ever act differently.

There's not a one of them I'd choose for an acquaintance, let alone a friend.

So, I'm with you 100%. It's just that I think we can only expect common behavior and thought from these hamsters. They have no depth of thought or integrity. Expecting anything above that level is a pipe dream.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

08-15-05, 10:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
Thank you for taking the time to say all that so well, HD. I too thought it was a bizarre choice that CBS picked to air the chocolate peepee footage, but I couldn't figure out how to say what I meant.

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

08-15-05, 10:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
I was busy having Forever Eden flashbacks. Mary and Michael's feet...

HD, what did you think of Beau's reaction?

08-15-05, 11:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
Honestly, I didn't pay that much attention to Beau's reaction, for a couple of reasons.

1. I was busy blogging about soemthing else as I watched that episode.

2. Even though the segment revolved around Beau's chocolate peepee, it really wasn't about Beau. It was about how the other hamsters participated in this little game of Peeping Tom. Yeah, even though it's the most screen time Beau has received all season, he still was not the main character.

Based on my recollections, though, here's my reactions.

Beau showed some resistance, but not much, to being gawked at. I imagine that part of the reason is because a person, especially a guy, can only put up so much resistance before being considered a prude and anybody who is a big enough DAW to be on Big Brother does not want to be considered a prude. (Still, if he had been uncomfortable with the situation, one sternly voiced objection would have worked wonders instead of just squealing "Don't look.")

Even more, I think that Beau enjoyed it. What man, gay or straight, doesn't like it when other admire his cock, tell him how impressive it is, act as though it is the finest slab of meat they have ever seen? Even if Beau were initially uncomfortable, I think that he liked the attention in the end.

His later reactions in the plexiglass box suggest that was the case. As the hamsters filled in Kaysar about the week's events, Beau whined about being "raped by the women." Beau's eager willingness to discuss the event suggests how much he liked the attention. He had a new forum for reminding the women (and rubbing it into the guys) what a great cock he has. He took full advantage of the opportunity.

Yes, Estee, I missed something in my critique of the incident. I should have mentioned Beau's fascination with his own cock.

08-15-05, 11:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
I should have mentioned Beau's fascination with his own cock.

Don't fault yourself. Beau is a male. It was automatically presumed.

(run away! run away!)

SpoonStruck 290 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

08-15-05, 01:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SpoonStruck Click to send private message to SpoonStruck Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
LAST EDITED ON 08-15-05 AT 02:22 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 08-15-05 AT 02:20 PM (EST)

Joke deleted in the interests of moral decency (though it was a raunchy joke wittily told with no profanity).

Came back to correct spelling because I cracked myself up and lost the ability to spell.

08-15-05, 01:47 PM (EST)
12. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
I'd alert this, but I'm too busy trying not to laugh...

08-15-05, 01:57 PM (EST)
14. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
I must have missed something. I never realized that Beau indicated he was either a bottom or versatile and not a top.

08-15-05, 04:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SpoonStruck Click to send private message to SpoonStruck Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "Beau's Position"
Hi, HD. Beau supposedly expresses clear indicators that contrary to being a tight end, he is an accomplished wide receiver. This is on opinion from two gay guys that don't play football, however, and claim that they can spot who does...and what position(s) they're inclined to play. (If you ask me, I think there's just as much myth-making and stereotyping that goes on inside the homosexual community as any other xyz-sexual community.)

I don't talk too much about that kind of stuff with people in person, because I'm not into male sports. I have a visceral reaction against male sports, though I don't necessarily place any wholesale moral values on my visceral reactions. I'm surprised Beau hasn't explicitly declared his preferences. He wasn't shy about rolling all over K-Czar on the couch, at the beginning of the BB6 game--which I thought was odd seeing as what some sects of religious police would do to Beau if they saw his behavior toward K-Czar.

In the end (NOT gearing up for another raunchy joke here!), provoking people with lewd sexual stuff is the easiest and cheapest form of entertainment. Anybody tends to have some kind of reaction to such cheap ploys.

08-15-05, 04:29 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Beau's Position"
LAST EDITED ON 08-15-05 AT 04:46 PM (EST)

supposedly

Well, that's the key word now, isn't it...

clear indicators

Your buddies should write a checklist of what these are. My experience as a gay man tells me that making these kinds of assumptions usually isn't helpful. In addition, in my experience as a grad student with a background in history and gender studies, I have never taken a gender studies/queer studies course that listed these indicators.

I'm surprised Beau hasn't explicitly declared his preferences.

I'm not. Certain "preferences" carry more value judgments and stereotypes than others. Besides, I haven't heard most of the other houseguests discuss their favorite position for having sex.

Edited to add material to circle back around to the topic of reality television: I find reality television interesting/frustrating because the editors and producers who present it to us continue to rely on the same stereotypes to create the same "characters." They are too lazy to tell any other kind of story. It sounds like your friends who have made their call on Beau have their own set of stereotypes --- stereotypes that the producers of "Big Brother" are aware will resonate with the viewing public so they will exploit them. (Of course, this goes all the way back to the casting process and the choice to include Beau at all.)

08-15-05, 04:43 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Beau's Position"
Hi, HD.

---> "supposedly
Well, that's the key word now, isn't it..."

I thought so. Like I said, I think there's just as much a tendency toward myth-making and stereotyping among the homosexual community as the xyz-sexual community. For instance, the infamous "gaydar"...Gimme a break, guys! I did NOT say I believed it for myself. I simply relayed part of my experience for making my (since deleted) joke.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

08-15-05, 02:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "SpoonStruck"
This is a PG-13 forum. Yes, we're dealing with a sensitive topic here, and it's tough to stay on the appropriate side of the line, but your joke went too far.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

08-15-05, 11:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
I agree that there are numerous reasons to find the airing of this bit of tape as despicable.

*looks around and checks that I am in bashers*

But from reading the Live Feeds I do feel that this was the closest they could come to showing some of these hamsters in any sort of positive light.

I think they do want people to actually like some of these idjits so they gotta show crap like this because it makes them look much better than all the other film they shot.

If they didn't show this they would have had to show footage that would have caused America to mob the house and rip the hamsters limb from limb. While that could make for good TV, it would only last a short while and what would they fill up the rest of the season with?

Although I find I have a morbid fascination to find out just how much farther they can decend.

Where is Mr Potter when you need him?

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

08-15-05, 11:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
LAST EDITED ON 08-15-05 AT 11:29 AM (EST)

All good points. One of the things that reveals itself with each reality show (group type) is that real human nature isn't as good, grand, as close to ideal as we hope. It says something about the optimistic nature of all of us that we hope for better, and that when what it really is is revealed, how disappointed we are.

For what you are seeing is us, is what we as a species are capable of, and maybe what we as a group average out to be. I agree, this is kinda discouraging.

Commenting on CBS editing, OK, as HD infers, they go for the bucks, ad-sales, and show the tittilating stuff, can't really fault them for following thru on the mission of the show, attracting viewers. As such, they can't set the standards, they can only respond to them. And they should be expected to edit the show so as to exagerate (among other things) suspense, sexual tension, interactive tensions, etc., stuff that sells TV shows, and provide on occasion artifical 'Surprises'.

AS far as the comment "The editors had days of footage from dozens of cameras to work with --- but they couldn't find anything better to broadcast than a segment in which Howie looks over the door of the shower stall" , well lets be honest , I very much doubt whether there WAS any thing more provocative (attested to by His. Det. and (I assume) everyone else's reaction). I imagine that that scene made the producers very happy, and that there was no chance that they would use the footage from any of the other cameras at that (or any other) time in preference to that footage.

It also shows us (IMO) how artificial PC is, and how it confuses people. You have your innate instincts on the one hand (curiousity to look) and PC which puts some into a tail spin "should I or shouldn't I", "what reasons can I give to look", "is someone looking at me, what will they think".

However I don't think they are much affected by what the TV audience might think, but by what the others in the group will think. I seems that in these group reality shows that the everpresent cameras become part of the background and that they put aside mentally (at least partially) the fact that America is watching. I think that they have to, otherwise, they would be paralyzed.

Howies reaction seemed to be (although who knows what was really going on in his pinhead) the most honest, that is if he was just curious and decided to look. As we mature, we gain (to differing degrees) impulse control and self awareness, and lose the direct curious honesty that a child exhibits.

We are all just trained monkeys.

How can one watch the show, watch these antics, and think that we aren't ape cousins?

08-15-05, 11:23 AM (EST)
6. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
After all, it is quite obvious by looking at Beau that he is a black man. Can't we all assume that his penis will generally match his skin tone?

(insert Michael Jackson joke here)

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings

08-15-05, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Lower even than Fox's standards"
I'm with you HD, that's the most compelling non-game footage they could compile for a 5-minute segment? To call it sophomoric doesn't do justice. It was just plain crass. You know what's worse? My 8-year-old daughter was in the room while I was watching it. Now I have to have a 30-minute conversation about why what they did was wrong. At this point in time, she has a better concept of what was wrong about it than the Hamsters do.

I totally agree that April's rationalization was completely off-base. It's not wrong to peek at Beau because he's a man and you're married, it's wrong because it's an invasion of someone's privacy. Can you imagine the outrage if the tables were turned, it was Ivette in the shower, and all the men had a look-see because "it's OK, she's a lesbian and not interested in men"? I had to explain to my daughter that if her mom did the same thing I wouldn't be upset with her because she saw another man naked, but rather because she violated someone's privacy. Instead of April saying "I can't because I'm married", she should've said "I won't because I have more class than that".

Now we can debate how much privacy someone is entitled to in a common area shower in a house with more cameras than your average Super Bowl, but the concept still holds. You just don't go looking at someone in the shower unsolicited like that. And without sounding too Moral Majority, it's really trashy of SeeBS to be airing that in prime time, let alone the 8:00 hour. Errant boobage is one thing, violating someone's privacy and perpetuating stereotypes is quite another.

Fester

08-15-05, 01:09 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Lower even than Fox's standards"
Can you imagine the outrage if the tables were turned, it was Ivette in the shower, and all the men had a look-see because "it's OK, she's a lesbian and not interested in men"?

I just did. NOW would have called the press conference within thirty minutes. Tops.

Instead of April saying "I can't because I'm married", she should've said "I won't because I have more class than that".

Ummm... no. No chance.

08-15-05, 02:13 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Lower even than Fox's standards"
Hi, Fester. You asked, "Can you imagine the outrage if the tables were turned, it was Ivette in the shower, and all the men had a look-see because "it's OK, she's a lesbian and not interested in men"?" My answer is YES...and...the outrage in that hypothetical scenario would NOT rationally translate to outrage over the Beau scenes.

Men and women's sexualities are fundamentally different no matter what the man or woman's sexual orientation. No matter what the social programming, it's no match to defeat the prototypical biological determinants and propensities of male and female sexual behaviors. Men are naturally more aggressive. Men typically have the brute strength women do not have. It's not as inherently or primally-hardwired threatening (for women or for society) for women to gawk at men. This is why there's such a security budget differential in the relatively few "strip" bars for women (featuring men--usually gay guys--where the Wang Chung action is outlawed anyway) compared to the pulsing sex industry for men to gawk at women (where women in some places can, by law, strut around totally nude).

Expecting APEril to have more class than she does would be unreasonable for me. I think "because I'm married" is a very good reason to forego many activities. That's part of being married--married people who honor their marriages do and don't do lots of things simply because they're married. No shocker to find out that Aperil would disrespect the spirit of her marriage on national TV...at least not to me.

08-15-05, 02:23 PM (EST)
19. "Double standards."
There is a tremendous amount of hypocrisy in the strip club industry, but it's not necessarily where you would think. The short version is that many women will defend their right to watch men while at the same time condemming any man who would watch a woman. For demonstrations, wait for any talk show that gets male and female strippers on the same stage in front of a female audience. The males will be cheered and the females will be called every name in the book.

And a man working in a strip club for women is at risk. The odds are more in his favor, yes, something is less likely to happen -- but things do happen. Ugly things. 'Male rape victim' is nowhere close to an oxymoron, and anyone can be immobilized, brute strength or not.

08-15-05, 04:36 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Double standards."
Hi, Estee. I think it's perverted for women AND men to want to be watched by women OR men. I think it's a perversion of our natural instincts, because we have been evolutionary wired as a species to associate copulating with vulnerability. Therefore, the entire sex industry feeds on BOTH women's and men's predatory instincts.

When I think a behavior falls under the domain of natural human behavior, I'm not apt to call the behavior hypocritical. For similar animalistic reasons (and we are a species of animal) cited above, I understand why women would censure women on sexual display and not men. It's actually a form of women contributing to the survival of other women, who are more vulnerable when on sexual display. This is NOT an argument that "because it's natural, it must be good." I merely think that some things natural are inescapable, which makes them futile to try to override (and where overriding such naturalness would prove to be a longterm threat to society).

I know that females rape males, but it usually is NOT via violence or manipulative immobilization of the male victim--as male-on-female and male-on-male rape is. The majority of the instances of females raping males is (sick but the stats say it) not rape via violating an orifice. It's female "caretakers" molesting male children--in many, many cultures worldwide. Sadly, those same female "caretakers" do the same thing to female children as well. As far as older male victims of female rape, that occurs almost exclusively in the form of an older female SEDUCING and not forcing a younger male. Of course, probably most instances of adults raping or violating children involves some form of seduction, at least initially. However, males routinely and overwhelmingly resort to perpetrating sexual violence much more so than do females.

08-15-05, 04:41 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Double standards."
LAST EDITED ON 08-15-05 AT 04:41 PM (EST)

The last word I'll give on this is that 'usually not' does not equal 'never' -- and the numbers on 'usually not' are going up. Beyond that, I'm just going to end this one right here, because it's more suited for OT to start with and we're also treading into waters where my natural first instinct is to start dunking people.

08-15-05, 03:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "Disagree"
LAST EDITED ON 08-15-05 AT 03:30 PM (EST)

I'm not saying that my hypothetical involving Ivette and Saturday's scene involving Beau would be equivalent (although I certainly think they're closer than you do), I'm just offering perspective. It's a violation of privacy that is at issue here, not threatening behavior. I don't think the reaction in the hypothetical would've centered on male aggressiveness toward women. I think it would've centered on male objectification of women. How is what happened to Beau any different?

I think "because I'm married" is a very good reason to forego many activities. That's part of being married--married people who honor their marriages do and don't do lots of things simply because they're married.

If April and her husband have rules in place about this sort of thing, that's between them, however that's not what primarily makes it wrong. It's the equivalent of saying "I shouldn't steal that car because my husband will get pissed". Maybe he would get pissed, but the reason it's wrong is because we, as a society, have a code of ethics (and laws) that we adhere to, and part of that code is you don't steal things from other people. Similarly, you don't go peeping into the shower because of Beau's right to privacy, not because of any sense of loyalty to a spouse. It's an irrelevant argument. April's husband's opinion in this matter doesn't really matter.

And Estee? I should've been clearer. I don't mean to say that I expected April to act with class. That would be like expecting Ivette to use an indoor voice...ever. I should've said that a person in April's position should have refrained because they have more class than that.

Fester

08-15-05, 03:55 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Disagree"
I don't think the reaction in the hypothetical would've centered on male aggressiveness toward women. I think it would've centered on male objectification of women.

Part of what I was going for above. A lot of women who scream about being objectified love to objectify men. It's equally wrong on both sides, but try telling them that.

And Estee? I should've been clearer. I don't mean to say that I expected April to act with class. That would be like expecting Ivette to use an indoor voice...ever. I should've said that a person in April's position should have refrained because they have more class than that.

S'okay and understood. I'm not going to ask Maggie to call hypocrisy on herself, either. ;>

08-15-05, 04:58 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Disagree"
>LAST EDITED ON 08-15-05
>AT 03:30 PM (EST)

>
>I'm not saying that my hypothetical
>involving Ivette and Saturday's scene
>involving Beau would be equivalent
>(although I certainly think they're
>closer than you do), I'm
>just offering perspective. It's
>a violation of privacy that
>is at issue here, not
>threatening behavior. I don't
>think the reaction in the
>hypothetical would've centered on male
>aggressiveness toward women. I
>think it would've centered on
>male objectification of women.
>How is what happened to
>Beau any different?
>
>I think "because I'm married" is
>a very good reason to
>forego many activities. That's part
>of being married--married people who
>honor their marriages do and
>don't do lots of things
>simply because they're married.

>
>If April and her husband have
>rules in place about this
>sort of thing, that's between
>them, however that's not what
>primarily makes it wrong.
>It's the equivalent of saying
>"I shouldn't steal that car
>because my husband will get
>pissed". Maybe he would
>get pissed, but the reason
>it's wrong is because we,
>as a society, have a
>code of ethics (and laws)
>that we adhere to, and
>part of that code is
>you don't steal things from
>other people. Similarly, you
>don't go peeping into the
>shower because of Beau's right
>to privacy, not because of
>any sense of loyalty to
>a spouse. It's an
>irrelevant argument. April's husband's
>opinion in this matter doesn't
>really matter.
>
>And Estee? I should've been
>clearer. I don't mean
>to say that I expected
>April to act with class.
> That would be like
>expecting Ivette to use an
>indoor voice...ever. I should've
>said that a person in
>April's position
should have refrained
>because they have more class
>than that.
>
> Fester

OK, the whole BB6 game is exactly about violating rights to privacy! Nobody's "right to privacy" is a legitimate gripe in this game, IMO.

I think the issue is that Beau, as the only (disclosed, anyway) gay guy in the house was set up as "fair game" for a devious form of hetero-hazing by the rest of the household. Supposedly Hetero-Howie saw Beau as "infringable" because of Beau's sexual status. That's what I think it boils down to. I see it in subtler forms too many times IRL.

I think that laws are based upon human feelings, so I tend to go with the "human touch" aspect of right and wrong instead of directly to the "letter of the law." Laws are made against (usually against) certain things because it makes individual human beings hurt or it deprives them of their potential to be a productive contributor to society. When I said "because I'm married" is a good reason, it's because I was referring to the SPIRIT of marriage and not the legalistic aspects of being married to somebody.

08-15-05, 01:54 PM (EST)
13. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
HD, I read this thesis, and you have some good points about the dog wagging the tail or the, errr... chocolate peepee wagging the Brother. But as far as BB encouraging HG's "peeping Tom" behavior, the whole premise of the show is to encourage the viewing public toward PT behavior.

Maybe I'm not cyncial enough about this. Though I do agree that Howie's sexuality is infantile, I think it's natural curiosity to want to check out people's parts of different skin tones. My multi-colored friends and I have, in the past, spent time gooing over how different our gums look, the palms of our hands and soles of our feet look, how our elbow skin looks, etc. I don't think recognizing and being curious about differences qualifies as being anti-vanilla or anti-chocolate or anti-whatever. Of course, I went through this curiosity and discovery phase when I was a kid. Maybe it says something about Howie's lack of metropolitan social experiences that he's curious at his late age.

BB6 is advertised as sleaze. Have you seen the ads that say, "Sex, Lies...(and whatever else that dumb ad says that hardly kept my attention long enough to realize it was promoting BB6)"?

It's the oldest trick of prehistoric days and Madison Avenue that "sex sells." It's not exclusive to American appetites. I wouldn't get too down on American culture in general because of a low-budget TV show like BB6.

08-15-05, 02:04 PM (EST)
15. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
My concern was not with the houseguests' curiosity but rather with the manner in which they went about satisfying that curiosity and the language, rationalizations, and double standards used in doing so.

08-15-05, 02:16 PM (EST)
18. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
Perfectly understandable, HD. I see it as Mob Psychology for Freshman in action. Many people do things in a group (especially in such a twistedly engineered group as BB6), which they would never do of their own accord.

I share your sentiments here.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

08-15-05, 05:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
Wait, there's someone called Beau on the show?

Actually, I found it all pretty wince-making, too. I think the lack of Michael/Jenn Gold Room action means CBS had to up the sexual reference quotient. And lord knows we've seen NOTHING of Beau until he chose to take his now-famous shower. So I think CBS thought it would be playful and naughty. Instead, it was smarmy, immature and embarassing.

And thank GOD BF didn't pass through the room when that whole thing was going on. I would never ever ever hear the end of it.

Lasann 3616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

08-15-05, 06:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lasann Click to send private message to Lasann Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
HD, good to see you. I always love your posts and had wondered if you have been watching. When I was a newbie last year, your posts made me stay.

I could not believe CBS aired this segment either. I wasn't sure why it bothered me but you tapped my subconscious and now I know. Added to the reasons in your post I felt the racism in Yellvette's yelling about the "chocolate peepee". Yvette may be dark skined but many dark skinned people are very racist. And we know Yvette is with her numerous anti-Muslim remarks. That woman is the lowest form of human.

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings

08-15-05, 06:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
I am glad to see HD around here too.

As I usually do, I agree with you, HD...

But was wondering have any of you seen the Jen tribute buy Aldav. I love it.

Jen Tribute

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings

08-16-05, 00:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
Very good read! And I do agree, for the most part, with what you wrote. I find it interesting how the hamsters really do weird things with their body functions and how they react to them. I know it hasn't been as prevalent as in last season, but remember how the 4 dorkmen gathered around their feces in the toilets? And I don't remember if it aired but I know it was in the live feeds, a while back Evilette peed in the backyard, despite the fact that it was not a lockdown and that isn't real grass out there (think astroturf). Why do the hamsters get so into their bodily functions, their bodies, and other childish things? Is it BB messing with their heads?

Three is the perfect number.

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings

08-16-05, 04:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
I thought Beau's initial reaction to Howie was one of embarassment. (I certainly was.)

Beau just decided to go along with the "game" so he wouldn't be perceived as a prude.

Howie and those that followed crossed a personal privacy line.

It's one thing to have to use a unisex bathroom. It's quite another to feel like you're a side show.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

08-16-05, 07:24 PM (EST)
33. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
Hi HD. Hope you're doing all right. Thanks again for your keen insights. Just wanted to give you a shout out.

KScott 3265 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-17-05, 00:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KScott Click to send private message to KScott Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "OMH!!!"
I think you were trying to be serious and I do take your post seriously but that is one of the funniest things I have read in a while, thank you.

I do agree that BB could have found other things to show besides BoBo's chocolate peepee scene but it just goes to show the mentality of these lying/backstabbing/cheating/mothereffing hamsters.

- Diced!
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... that was fun!"

shakes the clown 3366 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-17-05, 00:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "Sorry HD....."
...but this might very well be the dumbest post I've ever read here. I really can't believe you wasted that much of your time on what amounts to a nitpicking PC witch hunt. I don't think there is anything I hate more than that.

Get over it...they obviously are all comfortable enough with each other to make gay and racist connotations toward each other in joke form. If the people involved don't have a problem with it then NOBODY else has the right to get upset. Obviously Beau didn't give a crap so therefore you can't give a crap either.

And btw, do you realize that its just a stupid TV show??? A little less serious with the analysis...this is prime time, not sociology 101 night down at the Student Union.

So don't take the simple fact that I think Shakes is godlike to mean that I think he isn't an ass. -Samiam 10/12/04

08-17-05, 02:15 AM (EST)
36. "RE: Sorry HD....."
Well, Shakes, when my university's Program for Studies of Women, Gender, and Sexuality co-hosts its annual barbeque with the Center for Africana Studies in a couple of weeks, consider yourself officially uninvited, even though it's an event open to the general public.

Those of us with professional training in textual analysis enjoy doing this sort of close reading of reality television for what it can tell us about American culture --- and even "Big Brother" has its merits.

Unlike a certain other reality show. It can't all be meaningless tripe like "Love Cruise."

and yehs i can recnize tungue in cheek when i c it i just know that u r happy 2 reed somethin w/ punctuation n good speeling i wundered where u were this after noon ovr on the spoilerz bored i m glad 2 c u r back w/ us now tho u know i wuz jokin bout Luv Cruz right cuz that was sociologically fascinating 4 both whut we saw brawdcast n what u told us bout the behinnd da scenes peace out

08-17-05, 01:18 PM (EST)
39. "How queer"
Textual analysis: It's a good thing. Per your suggestion, I asked one of my friends to tell me the "clear indicators." At first he was reflective and serious about it. Then my other friend walked in, and they began laughing and talking in "rainbow code." My contextual analysis then defaulted into my conclusion that idiots come in all flavors.

I said, "Never mind. It grosses me out anyway," and walked away. I'm sure I'm in for another LECTURE about how I'm "really" an intolerant biOtch and genetically incapable of understanding on the elevated scholarly level somewhere over the rainbow. I have prepared my own list of what a good friend I am and will fight back with my guiltonator. Up first in the line of my defensive arsenal: Don't expect me to be agape-tolerant when I ask a serious question and all I get is the juvenile, condescending jokes you guys think I'm too ignorant to understand."

Which gives me another idea for an alternate version of BB...

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

08-17-05, 01:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "RE: Sorry HD....."
Yeah Shakes......BUTT OUT!!!

Moves courtesy of Syren

08-17-05, 12:02 PM (EST)
37. "Shakes"
This isn't about the mouth-breathers who occupy the BB house, it's really about SeeBS's choice of footage--at least for me. I know, I know, I get what I get for watching this trash with my daughter in the room, but I really thought they'd draw the line somewhere above this. Hell, why not use the footage of them all admiring someone's sh!t?

I'm not breaking out the typewriter and sending a letter of disgust to The Eye, but it does make me say "Damn guys, you already subject us to stoopid game play, do you have to subject us to middle school house antics as well?"

And whether or not they're comfortable with their immaturity doesn't absolve me, as a parent, from having to explain to my kid why what they did was wrong. Again, I accept that responsibility, I didn't have to have it on in the first place, but come on, I really didn't think I'd have to explain "Chocolate Peepee" at 8:30 on a Saturday. Shame on me, I guess.

Fester

LibraRising 2847 desperate attention whore postings

08-17-05, 01:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LibraRising Click to send private message to LibraRising Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "RE: Sorry HD....."
Heh. My "stupid" comment got locked before it could get flamed.

But I've had a lot to drink since then, so I'm all better now.

Majic Mitch 474 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

08-17-05, 12:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Majic%20Mitch Click to send private message to Majic%20Mitch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: The Penis on "Big Brother""
Ooops from the subject line, I thought you were talking about Eric.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •