The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Queer Eye and the Montana Family Coalition"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

kyngsladye 2921 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-13-03, 11:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kyngsladye Click to send private message to kyngsladye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Queer Eye and the Montana Family Coalition"
LAST EDITED ON 09-13-03 AT 06:11 PM (EST)

The article from the Advocate- Montana group targets Queer Eye

'Montana group targets Queer Eye
The conservative Montana Family Coalition plans to launch a campaign against the new television show Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, calling it trash that should not be on TV. The coalition's executive director, Julie Millam, said the group's campaign will target advertisers who air commercials during the one-hour reality show, which features five gay designers who give aesthetically inept straight men head-to-toe makeovers. "To me, that's not a reality show about gay people," Millam said. "A really good reality show for gay people would be five gay men dying of AIDS."

Gay rights advocates in Montana say the Montana Family Coalition's reaction to Queer Eye for the Straight Guy is really a reaction against growing mainstream acceptance of gay content on television and in American life. "The Montana Family Coalition and other groups are in some ways losing the culture war," said Karl Olson, director of the gay rights group PRIDE. "There is a proliferation of TV shows that have some kind of gay content, celebrities often support gay and lesbian issues, and gay teens are making the most astounding progress in schools."

Millam said she has personally heard many complaints about the program. "There's a groundswell of people who are very upset," she said, adding that the show is another example of the direction in which American television is moving. "We don't want to see (gay content) on every single TV show," she said. "I'm hearing from people left and right that every time they turn on the TV, it's something to do with gay people. It's not reality."'

And then the article from Billings Gazette adds more: Anti-Gay Campaign against TV Show

Anti-gay campaign against TV show **the first part of the article is the same content as the article above, so I didn't quote it again**

By ALLISON FARRELL
Gazette State Bureau

'NBC-affiliate stations across Montana, which ran the program this summer, said they didn't receive many -- if any -- calls from upset viewers. From Butte to Billings, the stations saw no major backlash and the Missoula station fielded a handful of calls.

Millam said she's not opposed so much to the show, but she and the Montana Family Coalition are opposed to the "whole direction" that television is going.

"We don't want to see (gay content) on every single TV show," she said. "I'm hearing from people left and right, that every time they turn on the TV it's something to do with gay people. It's not reality."

Of course "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" is not reality, Olson said. It's TV.

"TV is one of the lowest cultural forms in our society," Olson said. "I don't put much stock in it."

Olson pointed out that anti-gay groups have boycotted Disney theme parks for years after the company supported gay rights. However, Olson said, the upset groups haven't done much to affect the company's bottom line.

"My guess is when people turn on a entertainment program or go to the theme park, they're not thinking of politics," Olson said. "I don't think Julie's anti-gay crusade does anything to our political movement and efforts." '

La Métropole

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Queer Eye and the Montana Fami... kyngsladye 09-13-03 1
 RE: Queer Eye and the Montana Fami... AZ_Leo 09-15-03 2
   RE: Queer Eye and the Montana Fami... Estee 09-15-03 3
 RE: Queer Eye and the Montana Fami... toddE 09-16-03 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

kyngsladye 2921 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-13-03, 11:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kyngsladye Click to send private message to kyngsladye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Queer Eye and the Montana Family Coalition"
I'm going to comment separately.

MFC used to be the Montana Christian Coalition. Now, I understand if they are offended by gays on television but her comment, "A really good reality show for gay people would be five gay men dying of AIDS." is ridiculous.

La Métropole

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

09-15-03, 10:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Queer Eye and the Montana Family Coalition"
I believe one of the major advertisers is DiSaronna Amaretto. Somehow I don't think this group even knows what Amaretto is so I doubt their boycott will have much impact.

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-15-03, 04:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Queer Eye and the Montana Family Coalition"
I watched a Queer Eye rerun after reading the MFC's pronouncement and made sure to note exactly who was sponsoring the show, so I'd know just which parties the poor, oppressed, moral MFC would have to stop supporting. And of course, to see which ones they would have to _start_ supporting. Obviously, if any political candidate runs a commercial during QE, they'd want to back whoever was running against that person. Fair logic, right?

Well, it is my great pleasure to announce that one of the major sponsors of that rerun was -- that branch of the US government dedicated to stopping people from using illegal drugs.

Really. Thirty-second commercial discussing the loss of young lives and the pain inflicted on those family members left behind.

Well, I guess there's no help for it. The entire membership of the MFC, plus their families, must now start using illegal drugs in vast quantities. There's no other way they can uphold their directive of promoting strong family values. It'll also gain them vast amounts of media attention, plus it'll wrap up the protest in a relatively short amount of time. Win-win situation for everyone.

And besides, the family that overdoses together, gets buried together, and there's nothing more old-fashioned and value-centric than a shared cemetery plot, is there?

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-16-03, 10:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail toddE Click to send private message to toddE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Queer Eye and the Montana Family Coalition"
How embarrassing! As a born-and-raised 4th generation Montanan, I wonder why these attention seeking nuts have to pop up every so often. Well, at least these guys aren't as bad as the Freemen.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •