The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Opening Credits"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

architecturegirl 227 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

02-08-06, 02:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail architecturegirl Click to send private message to architecturegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Opening Credits"
At the beginning of last season XC posted a thread "Opening Credits Spoilers". I found it very interesting and useful. Since it hasnt been bumped so far for this season, I did some analysis of the intro for this season and decided to start a thread on it (my first!). You can find the entire 412 frame opening sequence on Survivor Phoenix's video capture page. As background, I have pasted below XC's original comments below:

"Hey Everyone. I've been lurking since the Amazon but haven't really felt the need to post anything spoiler worthy until now. I've never really put a lot of faith into the spoilers but I have always invested a lot of my attention into the editing, especially the editing of the opening credits. This season's editing has been driving me crazy so I thought that I could rely on something that I have always relied on in the past. The opening credits are the only part of the season that we see every week, so the editors obviously put a lot of care into how each survivor is reflected through them. I've looked through vidcaps of the openings throughout the seasons and have honestly pegged the winner because of the techniques used through the opening.
Although each season has its own tricks and unique attributes to the opening there is a basic framework that stands throught the seasons. Ever since thailand, the show intro has become formulized - every character has an action shot followed by a still photo. what the editors do with the action and still shot is the most telling.

Water - maybe its the whole "fire represents life" metaphor, but when the action shot is of the survivor swimming, they're toast. Examples of this is Eliza from Vanuatu (F4), Shawn from Pearl Islands (screwed by outcast twist) and Caryn from Palau (F5). The winner has never been shown swimming.

The Marooning - When the survivor's action shot is from the marooning, that is not good sign. Examples of this is Jolanda from Palau (first voted out), Burton from Pearl Islands (Outcast & F5) and Julie from Vanuatu (F5).

Challenge shots - There are two types of actions shots that editors use for the survivors' action shots. the first type of shots are blatently in challenge. examples of these are Leanne from Vanuatu (F7), Jenn from Palau (F4) and T from Pearl Islands (F7). this type of action shots are cursed as well. The other type of challenge shots are not cursed. these are the shots that at first glance do not seem to be in challenge, but through further investigation, they are. Sandra from Pearl Islands is an example of this. Her action shot is her walking cautiously through the jungle. At first I didnt recognize this to be in challenge but after watching the premier again, I realized that it was taken during the first reward challenge. My theory is that these shots do not high light the challenge themselves, but the character instead, so they are exceptions to the rule.

So what constitutes as a promising action shot?

Camp life - this is the most promising. Mark Burnett likes his winners to excell in the challenges, in the manipulation and in the survival aspects. Individuals who are shown in camp life shots are are usually fan favorites and the winner. examples are Steph from Palau (F7), Matt from Amazon (F2), Jenna from Amazon (winner), Chris from Vanuatu (Winner) and Tom from Palau (Winner). of course there are some exceptions, but these types are usually out really early: Brook from Vanuatu and Kim from Palau.

Still shots

for some seasons the still photos have been focused on infront of two different backgrounds:

Outback - Rocks/survivor logo
Thailand - Water running over photo/fire
Pearl Islands - Skull and cross bones/map
Vanuatu - Tiki/survivor logo on torch

When this occurs the winner is always in the minority of the two types. Tina was in the survivor logo group, Brian's picture was focused on infront of flames, Sandra's pic was infront of a map of the pearl islands and chris' pic was aken with a torch behind it.

Throughout the opening there are animal, scenery and tribe shots. these play a role according to the season as well. one rule that is always consistant since Marquesas is the "16 castaways" rule. When the opening credits show the "16/18 castaways" it is juxtaposed infront of the marooning of one of the tribes. The winner does not come from that tribe.

Marquesas - Rotu rowing to shore
Thailand - Sook Jai rowing to shore
Amazon - (Exception) first shows Tambaqui rowing then Jaburu
Pearl Islands - Morgan jumping off of the boat
All-Stars - Saboga walking onto shore

Vanuatu and Palau had the whole cast marooned together although the winner is except from these shots.

Now each season is unique and so are the openings. This is where the past can't help you find clues. only the season's themes can.

Examples:
Amazon - the Animal imagery
throughout the opening credits there are shots of birds catching fish. this is significant because Jaburu is the name of a bird in the amazon and Tambaqui is a type of fish. this imagery implies that a woman from jaburu will win the season. Which woman? Jenna is the only female who's action shot is her fishing. This is completely unique to the amazon, but that is what convinced me that she was the winner.

Pearl Islands - comparison of the first bootee and the winner
Nicole and Sandra's action shots are very similar. Both women are walking cautiously through the jungle in the first imunity challenge. The difference between the two is their still photo. sandra has the special background and nicole has the skull and cross bones.

All-Stars - Inversion
The usual order of the survivor's introduction is action shot and then photo. Tina, the first bootee, had her introduction inverted. Amber and Rob (Final 2) also had their's inverted. this gave away that one of these two would win the game. Amber is pegged the winner through this theory because Rob's action shot is mid-challenge while Amber's is a post challenge victory.

Vanuatu - comparison of the first bootee and the winner
The opening for Vanuatu is the best example of opening credits spoiling. nearly every survivor's placement of this season can be analyzed through the credits. Why Chris won is because of his comparison to Brook, the first bootee. of all the survivors, these are the only two shown in camp life shots which is unusual of a season. Chris is also shown with the logo behind his name along with Eliza, Lisa and Chad. Eliza wasn't a contender because her action shot is her swimming, Lisa's is her mid challenge and Chad is swimming as well.

Palau - The Pairs
During Koror's only pre-merge tribal council Katie revealed the tribes pairs. the opening credits did so as well. the pairs of the tribe are revealed as: Coby/Janu, Willard/Caryn, Tom/Wanda, Katie/Ian, Gregg/Jenn. Now, Tom and Wanda were never a pair. The credits imply that Tom is alone since Wanda never even made it onto the tribe. Even though the pairs were revealed differently in ep 5 (Ian/Tom with Katie alone) at the end of the season Ian clearly showed his devotion to Katie over Tom, giving her his place in the final two.

-------
Ok, so for my analysis:
Although last season Danni came from the tribe shown first after the marooning, I'm still betting that the general rule that the winner doesnt come from the first tribe shown. For this season, that tribe is the older men.

So far XC's action shot eliminations are 100% accurate, so here's who is eliminated based on those:

People eliminated based on their action shots being of the marooning: Dan and Shane

People eliminated based on their action shots being swimming:
Austin and Ruth-Marie

People eliminated based on their action shot being obviously mid-challenge: Bruce, Terry, Sally, Courtney, and Nick.

That leaves us with: Danielle, Misty, Bobby, Aras, Cirie, Melinda, and Tina who has already been eliminated.

Of these people, Danielle, Misty, and Bobby have non-obvious challenge pictures. Cerie is the only one shown obviously doing camp related activity. Aras and Melinda are both shown in non-action face closeups with a green background as their action shot.

Analysis of the still shots: There appear to be four types of pictures this season. The most common, and therefore the group least likely to hold the winner is the picture on fire. In this group are: Dan, Shane, Bruce, Sally, Danielle, Ruth Marie, and Melinda.
The second group also has their picture on fire, but they're picture in picture shots. In this group are: Terry, Courtney, Austin, and Aras.
Two people have no fire in their still shots, they are Misty and Nick.
Two people have a blinding light, Bobby and Tina. Tina's turns into fire though, but Bobby's does not.

So from this, I think everyone except Danielle (I'm not ruling her out based solely on being in the first group because there are a lot of other interesting things going on with her sequence), Misty, Bobby, and Aras. Cirie is also a possibility because of the very positive camp picture could outweigh being in the first group still-shot wise. The other thing to note about the still shots is that some have a ton of frames, while other people only have a few. I think those with less "face time" are not so long for the game. Each of the people listed above has a lot of face time for their still shot.

Of this group, four people's sequences stand out to me.

As for Bobby, he has the most unique still shot. But, I dont think this constitutes him as the winner.

Misty: For how quickly people have dismissed her, she has a very interesting opening sequence. She is in the no fire group and its picture in picture and moves around, she has a wierd action sequence in which her hands block her face for a while, I'm not sure what that means, also right after her is the shot of the lone island. I thin this may indicate her being the first exiled though. I think she has an interesting sequence, but I dont think she's the winner.

Aras: Aras is in the second group still-shot wise, but he has one VERY positive aspect - his action shot (as is Melinda's) is NOT an action shot, its of him in profile, with a green background. At the end of the intro there is a TON of green - the water is green, and there is a tree with a bright green background. I think this bodes very well for Aras. Especially since this is a very similar shot to Danni's last season when she had just a blue background.

Danielle: Danielle is in the first group still shot-wise, but she has some very interesting things in her sequence. It was noted that often the final two, or the winner and first booted have similarities. Well, prior to Danielle's shot is a picture of someone's arms reaching down (appears to be her) to help someone up by letting them step on her hands. In Tina's action shot is of her reaching up. I think this is significant. Also Immediately after her sequence there is a break before the other younger girls and a lone tree is shown across the water. There is a break from the older women prior to showing Tina.

So, as supported by the regular spoilers, it looks like Danielle and Aras are the most promising. A few other minor observations: I noted in the last thread, that in many seasons you could tell (only on Phoenix's site where you can see each frame) in the torch holder frames if the most prominent torch holder was a man or woman, and that has almost always been the sex of the winner. Last season two women were at the center of the group, and as we know the final two were female. This season its odd - at first it zooms in on a female, and then at the end it zooms in on a man. I'm not sure what to make of this other than that its a male/female final two.
Also, last season Nakum's flag was shown burning, and fire representing life, the winner was from Nakum. This season a survivor buff is shown burning. Its hard to tell the color - but it doesnt appear to be purple.

Whew! Thats it! I'd be interested to see what everyone thinks. Sorry about not putting up pics, I'm not sure how, and its most informative to go through frame by frame at Phoenix's site anyway. They have some posted at SurvivorFever, but its MUCH fewer frames, and misses a lot. Not to mention, this post is long enough as it is!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Opening Credits djscanada 02-14-06 1
   RE: Opening Credits Brownroach 02-14-06 2
       RE: Opening Credits michel 02-14-06 3
           RE: Opening Credits tikigirlie 02-14-06 4
               RE: Opening Credits Brownroach 02-15-06 5
                   RE: Opening Credits architecturegirl 02-15-06 6
                   RE: Opening Credits JohnMc 02-15-06 8
   WARNING - djscanada Bebo 02-15-06 7
 RE: Opening Credits architecturegirl 02-17-06 9
   RE: Opening Credits Flowerpower 02-17-06 10
 RE: Opening Credits, Vidcaps Flowerpower 02-18-06 11
   Let's start analyzing! vince3 02-18-06 12
   RE: Opening Credits, Vidcaps architecturegirl 02-20-06 13
       RE: Opening Credits, Vidcaps electropoprebel 02-20-06 14
           RE: Opening Credits, Vidcaps architecturegirl 02-21-06 15
   RE: Opening Credits, Vidcaps Flowerpower 02-21-06 16
 RE: Opening Credits knuckles487 02-21-06 17
   RE: Opening Credits mavs_fan 02-23-06 18
   RE: Opening Credits NineTen 02-24-06 20
       RE: Opening Credits knuckles487 02-24-06 21
 RE: Opening Credits Brownroach 02-24-06 19
   RE: Opening Credits Flowerpower 02-27-06 22
 No opening credits again in ep 5?! JohnMc 03-03-06 23
   RE: No opening credits again in ep ... Brownroach 03-03-06 24
       RE: No opening credits again in ep ... architecturegirl 03-03-06 25
           RE: No opening credits again in ep ... architecturegirl 03-03-06 26
               WOW emydi 03-03-06 27
                   RE: WOW architecturegirl 03-03-06 28

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

djscanada 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

02-14-06, 02:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail djscanada Click to send private message to djscanada Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Opening Credits"
wow - I'm a survior fan but you are crazy! I don't know anyone else who has spent that much time analyzing things ... Maybe you should just watch the show and enjoy it. And hey there are 6 days between each show - maybe on those 6 days you could get a life!

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-14-06, 02:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Opening Credits"
umm...djscanada, lots of people spend time analyzing lots of things around here -- it goes with spoiling the show, which is what this board is all about.

Bridge for sale to highest bidder. Call 1-800-BRroach.

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

02-14-06, 02:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Opening Credits"
Seeing an answer to the original post, I though I'd find an explanation as to why we weren't shown the survivors in the opening credits last week! I guess I'm an example of a poster who likes to analyze the show BR was talking about!
To BR's comment, I'll add that Architecturegirl's post at least was constructive. We always appreciate a good effort!

tikigirlie 112 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

02-14-06, 06:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tikigirlie Click to send private message to tikigirlie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Opening Credits"
i think the only reason the castaways weren't shown during opening credits is that they were gonna do the school-yard pick-em.

during palau, they did not show tribes during the first episode (although they did show the survivors). hmmm.

02-15-06, 10:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Opening Credits"
They've never not shown the contestants in the opening credits until last week. They could easily have rerun the four-tribe credits from the premiere if they wanted to.

I guess we are getting off-topic here, but then again we may not be able to further discuss architecturgirl's analysis if they never show the credits again.

02-15-06, 10:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail architecturegirl Click to send private message to architecturegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Opening Credits"
Thanks for sticking up for me BR and Michel!
Thats why I like this forum - everyone's input is appreciated, and people aren't rude like they are over at sucks.
Funny thing is, I very rarely take the time to post much of anything, let alone anything in depth.
For some reason I find analyzing the intro really interesting though.
If no one took the time to analyze the show so in depth, we wouldnt have such great insight - word of thanks out to you two, FlowerPower and VerucaSalt, especially for her Editing thread!

JohnMc 2679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

02-15-06, 05:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JohnMc Click to send private message to JohnMc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Opening Credits"
1) I'm sorry that this post got off track because I think it is valid spoiler material.

2) I was surprised to not get an opening credits last week. I think the only reason was that we knew that it wasn't going to be 4 tribes anymore, and we didn't know where Bruce was going to end up.

The thing that I don't get, though, is why we didn't get something. Like BR was saying, we could have at least been given the 4 tribes opening.

And with the Exile Island theme running, we may get instances where people like Bruce end up on their own island for 3 days or through a TC and ending up changing tribes. I guess that might be too hard to keep changing the opening credits.

But, hey, why not just put them in alphabetical order? That would make Dr Sean happy!

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

02-15-06, 02:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "WARNING - djscanada "
Here's some advice for you - please read our community guidelines. Bashing other posters is not permitted here.

02-17-06, 10:18 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Opening Credits"
So yet AGAIN we had the condensed opening credits, with no survivors shown. What is up with this??? There wasnt a tribe switch this week. Could it signal another one coming up? That wouldnt surprise me, but this is odd, its never happened before...

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings

02-17-06, 11:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Opening Credits"
Hey architecturegirl!!! I LOVE this thread and do indeed think it's quite worthy of analyzing! I've been busy IRL lately and haven't had the chance to bring the original vidcaps of the opening sequence over yet, but I promise I will soon...then we can analyze them to death! Very strange and intriguing as to why they are not shown after the first 2 eps! Makes it more mysterious, and perhaps they've thrown in a clue that we could crack! Great thread....to be continued!

02-18-06, 12:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Opening Credits, Vidcaps"
Thanks to Survivor Phoenix!

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

02-18-06, 06:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "Let's start analyzing!"
First off, it appears to be some red in the "fire'd up" buff. There is only one original tribal color that is close to red, and that's the orange of the original La Mina, the older men!

Interesting that Tina had a spider in front of her image, seeing as though she got caught in a web by the three other older women. Also of note is what appears to be a seagull after Terry's picture.

I'll try to add more later.

A gift from Cygnus!

02-20-06, 04:14 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Opening Credits, Vidcaps"
Thanks FP! I'm looking forward to this week's episode to see if we actually get real opening credits again, and if they're different or not...

Something else I noticed - the arms reaching down to help someone up are edited to look like they're Danielle since she's shown reaching down immediately after - but it appears its actually Ruth Marie (note her pink tank top). Also the hands reaching up from the water are made to look like Courtney since she is immediately after shown reaching up in her action shot, but they're actually Dan's hands reaching out of the water.
Hmm... interesting.

I continue to think the strange green behind Aras and the green behind the tree at the end is VERY significant. This is actually a fairly lengthy shot, has quite a few frames...

More after the next episode!

electropoprebel 34 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

02-20-06, 05:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail electropoprebel Click to send private message to electropoprebel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Opening Credits, Vidcaps"
Could Mark Burnett just be trying to trick the regular viewer into thinking there will be a tribe swap in the next few episodes when there are no spoilers that seem to point to that happening?

02-21-06, 02:38 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Opening Credits, Vidcaps"
Welcome Electro! You could be right, anything is certainly possible when it comes to Mark Burnett and trying to mislead everyone.
I personally am baffled by this unprecedented lack of an intro for two straight episodes, especially since we had one for the first episode. I'm not sure exactly WHAT it means, but I highly doubt its a goof on their part, something is up.
I'm very interested to see if we get a new and different intro in upcoming episodes, and what the difference between the two would mean...

02-21-06, 02:52 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Opening Credits, Vidcaps"
Thought I'd make a few observations:

Looking at the daws "action shots" they can be divided and grouped:

Mid-Challenge:
Swimming: Austin, Ruth Marie
in boat: Bruce, Sally
mid-challenge action: Terry, Courtney, Nick

Arriving:
Dan, Shane

At Camp:
Cirie, Tina

Don't know where they are:
Danielle, Misty, Bobby, Aras*, Melinda

*Aras is the only one seen with a fake background that is green???

knuckles487 178 desperate attention whore postings

02-21-06, 03:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail knuckles487 Click to send private message to knuckles487 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Opening Credits"

I was told that I might want to bring this over here for those of you that try deciphering the credits.. This cap isn't in the opening credits but it is in a lot of the previews I have seen, including the latest one, so maybe it means something.....and maybe not. I seen this mentioned once on another board but it was dismissed with no response so it very well could be here too. I just wanted to mention it in case it could mean something.

First, notice that the "I" in island seems to purposely be made to look like a "T". Then look at the highlighted letters. Reading clockwise in a circle they spell the word "namaste". After researching the word I found out that it is a gesture in yoga that is "the acknowledgement of the soul in one by the soul in another". In other words, a greeting. The word means "I bow to you". It is performed by placing the hands together, closing the eyes, and bowing the head.

Maybe it's just me, but that seems like way too much of a coincidence to be shown like that, especially given that Aras' yoga moves have been mentioned twice on the show already. Could this be some type of clue for us, or maybe something to throw us off, or nothing at all?

I also wanted to mention real quick that Aras has an account at a place called "MySpace", and 2 or 3 of his friends that have been posting messages to him have used that word in their posts. Apparently Courtney has made a post or two to him as well.

mavs_fan 299 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-06, 00:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mavs_fan Click to send private message to mavs_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Opening Credits"
<< The word means "I bow to you". It is performed by placing the
<< hands together, closing the eyes, and bowing the head.

I thought Bruce did this very thing last week at the Immunity challenge before JP started explaining the challenge to the players. Or maybe it was at the Reward challenge. Either way, I'm pretty sure Bruce did it last week at one of the challenges. I remember thinking at the time that it probably a reflexive Karate sign of respect directed to JP.

NineTen 986 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

02-24-06, 03:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NineTen Click to send private message to NineTen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Opening Credits"
Those letters also spell out La mina or animals

knuckles487 178 desperate attention whore postings

02-24-06, 04:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail knuckles487 Click to send private message to knuckles487 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Opening Credits"

Yep, they COULD spell a whole lot of things. Except that I said "highlighted" letters, which would include the "E" and not the "L". It is being shown this way for some reason, although it might not necessarily be pointing to a winner. I am only mentioning it as a possibility.

02-24-06, 11:04 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Opening Credits"
LAST EDITED ON 02-24-06 AT 11:05 AM (EST)

Bumping, since the credits returned with some changes in the images -- I remember Melinda, Cirie and at least a couple of others being different.

02-27-06, 08:45 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Opening Credits"
Right you are, BR! At the start of Ep 4 the intro has been changed. They break it down into the two tribes showing Casaya first, with new action shots of Melinda and Cirie. La Mina is shown second and Terry is indeed the last survivor seen...the caps can be found at Survivor Phoenix in the Photo Gallery...

JohnMc 2679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-03-06, 11:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JohnMc Click to send private message to JohnMc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "No opening credits again in ep 5?!"
Is there so much spoiling possible with the opening credits that we don't even get to see the characters anymore?!!

(My complaint, with a suggestion toward spoiling.)

Then again, maybe each ep needs more time that could be better spent showing clips rather than showing credits.

On the flip side, maybe they need more space for commercials...

03-03-06, 11:18 AM (EST)
24. "RE: No opening credits again in ep 5?!"
I've never timed the credits, but from more or less singing the music to myself my estimate is that the full length credits run about 40 seconds and the truncated version runs about 10 seconds. Time saved: enough for a 30-second ad spot.

03-03-06, 02:04 PM (EST)
25. "RE: No opening credits again in ep 5?!"
LAST EDITED ON 03-03-06 AT 02:11 PM (EST)

Well guys, sorry I've been "MIA" for the last week or so. Life AND work have been very busy. But, I've gone through last week's videocaps over at Survivor Phoenix, have a few observations. I will try to post vidcaps of what I am referring to in a subsequent post, but I wanted to get this up before I tried to play with that...

I TOTALLY agree with the subject heading!! WHAT is going on with this??? The commercial slot is an interesting idea, but why change it up so much? So far according to Phoenix's videocap gallery we've had four different intros! The one from the first episode, then I guess this one and episode two's intro were the same. The intro for episode three was slightly different - the green water that was shown in ep. 2 and 5, was a shot of the tree with green sky behind it in the ep. 3 intro. Four of course was the new full length one. Because of this, I am more convinced that something is up with the changing intro this season. Will we get yet another version when the tribes merge??? Perhaps. Based on the last five episodes, I'd almost bet on it...

So, lets analyze. First of all, the switching of the green tree and the green water in the short intros. WHY would they change ONLY this??? I think that at the very least, this highlights the importance of the green - and now its just Aras who has the green background in both long versions. I think this bodes well for him. The other thing I noticed about the shortened intros is that only five survivors are shown in the whole thing, and each is a shot of them in the boats at the marooning. Shown is the entire "old men's" tribe, and the young women's boat is shown, but only Misty is seen. Misty is already gone, but I think adding this on to the men's boat being shown at the marooning in the regular intro - I don't think any of the older men win the game.

Ok, so the revised long intro for episode four: Three people's shots changed, the rest stayed the same. Melinda and Cerie's action shots changed. Cerie went from a promising camplife shot, to a challenge sequence. This of course, is not a good sign. Would they change it up to throw us of track? Sure, why not? But, I think the rule still holds. There is nothing else about her sequence that lends toward her being the winner. Melinda is already gone, so why change her shot? Its a similar shot, but it is different, and this time she's wearing a hat. I'm not sure why this changed.
The other person's change was VERY subtle - Bruce's still shot picture changed from his face being on the right in the first episode, to it being on the left now. Why the change??? Is it a subtle way of saying that he switches sides on his tribe? I have a feeling he will when the time comes, so perhaps this is an indicator of that.

There are a few other things that I noted about the intro that may be of some importance. I had mentioned in my first analysis that Danielle's hands (actually Ruth Marie's, but made to look like Danielle's) reaching down, then hands reaching up before Courtney's sequence (Actually Dan's hands) could be significant. Well in this new intro we have YET another set of hands shown, this time after Austin's sequence showing someone reaching down and pulling a boat. Since Courtney and Austin are eliminated from winning because of their respective action shots being during a challenge, and in the water, I think Danielle is the one that this bodes well for, especially as its made to look like she's helping someone up. I think too though that it speaks to Courtney and Austin's roles in the game. Courtney has hands reaching up, perhaps it refers to her attitude pulling the team down? Austin is reaching down and pulling the boat along - perhaps it refers to his attitude pulling his team along? (he does seem to keep spirits up) I'm reaching on that one (pardon the pun), but hey, this is speculation.

Aras is the only one of all the survivors to have an intermediate shot both before AND after his sequence. The first is the bird flying behind the tree (which has been shown in all of the four intros), and after his still shot is a shot of the lone tree in the distance. I think this coupled with the green background really highlights Aras.
The only other interesting thing I noticed is that Terry's sequence followed Misty's, but a shot of the exile island skull was placed between their sequences. Linking both of them to exile island - the first exilee, and the one who finds the exile island immunity.
Well, thats it. I'll try to bring in some vidcaps and post them in another post, but I wanted to get this up.

03-03-06, 02:47 PM (EST)
26. "RE: No opening credits again in ep 5?!"
LAST EDITED ON 03-03-06 AT 02:49 PM (EST)

Well, here goes my first try at posting images. Hopefully it works!

From the short version intros:

The green tree shown vs. the green water in the short intros:

The old men marooned, and Misty shown marooned:

Also note - the hands theme continues into the short versions, the hands reaching up are shown:

The long version comparison:

Cerie's different action shots:

From the first Intro:

From the 2nd Intro:

Melinda's different action shots:

From the first intro:

From the 2nd Intro:

Bruce's different still shots:

From the first intro:

From the 2nd Intro:

Various "hands" shots:

Prior to Danielle's sequence:

Prior to Courtney's sequence:

After Austin's sequence:

Shots surrounding Aras, and his green background:

Before Aras' sequence:

Aras "green" action shot:

After Aras sequence:

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

03-03-06, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "WOW"
Great work archygirl!!

I like it even more bc you have Aras getting the benefits!!

03-03-06, 03:57 PM (EST)
28. "RE: WOW"
Thanks! I just noticed one thing where I was wrong - I had dismissed it at first, but actually I think now its VERY important.
I had said that Aras was the only Survivor whose sequence has an intermediate sequence before and after his shots.
This isnt true - Tina does as well. At first I dismissed it because that would be due to her being on "neither" tribe.
BUT - in XR's original post it was noted that often the winner and the first person gone, or the second place person are often linked in some subtle way in the opening credits.
This very well could be the way the "winner" and first bootee are linked for this season? Its certainly subtle enough...

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •