The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-03-03, 11:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler"
*** spoiler ***

I don't know if this is a spoiler or not, so I'm saying it is, just in case...

*** spoiler ***

This week's show ended with Rocco opening the paper and looking for the "review" that Linda Stasi (a TV critic, *not* a food critic as the show seemed to want us to believe) wrote after spending a few years at Rocco's. He was opening up the New York Post, and searching out her review. I guess they aim to show it next week.

I searched it out and found it. Well, since she's not a food critic, there isn't all that much about the food. But here's what she had to say.

WHINE AND DINE by Linda Stasi

June 6, 2003 -- WHO'D imagine that TV could turn me into a zen master - and I'm not talking about watching reruns of "Kung Fu."
I'm talking about cheesy reality TV that has forced me into asking cosmic questions like, "What is reality, really?"

Is reality washing my workout socks out in the sink, or is it being stuck on a desert island with 10 fat-free bartenders who can get eight weeks off, no problem?

Yes, Grasshopper, I'm here to say that I, a TV reviewer, am now part of a reality show. And I didn't act real.

Let me explain. NBC is filming a reality show called "The Restaurant" in, yes, a Manhattan restaurant - or more precisely, a flashy celeb joint opened by handsome, celebrity chef Rocco DiSpirito a few days ago and called, appropriately enough, Rocco's. The show, which starts airing next month, will be a kind of real-life "Upstairs/Downstairs."

Soon as I got there, I knew I was in the middle of a reality show. Everyone was thin, no one had cellulite, there were a lot of bartenders, and I couldn't' get a drink out of any of them.

Let me say right off, that if I hadn't been invited I would never have gotten in (not underweight or under 30). But once in, I wouldn't have wanted to stay.

Rocco's is very big, very bright, and so loud that you literally have to scream at the person sitting next to you. This is not a negative in New York.

The Italian food is very good however (being a certified Italian I know good Italian food), even if our first course was served piping cold.

I was told a guy proposed in there that night. I hope he brought his own sound system with him.

And since he's apparently not fabulous, he wouldn't have gotten in the place either, one of the producers told me. But he promised he'd propose on-camera. So much for reality.

Me? I had invited three friends to dinner that night -a group I figured would relax in front of the cameras. As exec producer Mark Burnett himself told me earlier in the day, sooner or later everyone forgets that cameras are there. No.

Maybe later, but not sooner especially if you're there for one night and the camera crews are lurking about like armed terrorists.

In fact, when the cameras showed up at my table, I felt forced to be clever - and failed miserably I might add.

My Love Interest, attorney Sid Davidoff, got fed up with the noise level and asked if he could vote some of the patrons off the show.

Radio talk show host Mark Simone, with whom I do a TV show on NY1, didn't have the patience for any of it - starting with being forced to sign releases outside in a tent in the rain, and ending with not being seated - so he split.

Zarela, my friend, a celebrity chef herself and owner of restaurant Zarela, was the only one who kept her cool - and actually evaluated the food. "If it can taste good cold as we had it," she said, "I imagine it will be delicious once it's served at the right temperature and pace - without camera crews around."

Don't count on the pace slowing down, although I assume the meatballs will be heated up sometime in the future.

I doubt if my reality in the future will include another visit to Rocco's. For one thing, I'll never get in again. And for another, this is one of those places where thin people eat pasta and drink Martinis and never get fat or run out of (sorry) dough.

It's not my scene, but everybody will want to be seen there.

I am trying to see if her friend, the chef who actually paid attention to the food, wrote anything. If so, I'll add it.

~ cq

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler Drive My Car 08-04-03 1
 RE: Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler blacknwhitedog 08-04-03 2
   RE: Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler sbeck 08-04-03 3
   RE: Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler blacknwhitedog 08-04-03 4
       RE: Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler val8456 08-04-03 5
       RE: Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler val8456 08-04-03 7
           RE: Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler sbeck 08-04-03 8
 RE: Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler Majic Mitch 08-04-03 6
   RE: Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler cqvenus 08-04-03 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-03, 00:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler"
I work in a fricken Middle School Cafeteria, and we can't serve food cold unless it is intended to be cold ( and even then it has to be cold enough) I have to check the tempatures of all the food I serve ( several times). Forget that cold pasta and meat tastes bad, it isn't healthy, or within Health Dept guidelines to serve it under a certain temp.

Let me say right off, that if I hadn't been invited I would never have gotten in (not underweight or under 30). But once in, I wouldn't have wanted to stay.

Maybe this line says it all.

blacknwhitedog 6532 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-03, 11:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail blacknwhitedog Click to send private message to blacknwhitedog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler"
So she wasn't even a food critic, huh?

Here's the previews for next week from the NBC website:

10pm 2003-08-17 ALL NEW!
EPISODE 105 Stage fright The staff is angry that their paychecks haven't arrived - some of them can't even pay the rent. Rocco's overworked Mom gets sick. Then three of his cooks can't come to work because they got in a bloody bar fight, and Rocco wonders if the bad news will ever end. Bringing food to his sick Mom, Rocco realizes he has been pushing everyone too hard. He decides to work as a server and demonstrate he's part of the team. That night he works with Uzay. Struggling to keep up, Rocco earns the staff's grudging admiration. He also gains a new appreciation for how difficult their jobs are. TV-PG

Hmmm, wait a minute- that's for 8/17- what happened to 8/10?

Another quality Ice Cat creation 2003

sbeck 418 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

08-04-03, 11:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sbeck Click to send private message to sbeck Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler"
I dunno, something tells me it's not so much that he realizes he's been pushing everyone hard as it is that his publicist got a peek at NBC's footage and told him he needs to redeem himself.

I wonder why she was there if she wasn't a food critic, though.

blacknwhitedog 6532 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-03, 11:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail blacknwhitedog Click to send private message to blacknwhitedog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler"
Here's the TV Guide preview for 8/10 just in case anyone cares:

The Restaurant
60 min.
In an effort to boost staff morale, Rocco has a priest in to bless his mess of a restaurant and refocuses on running a tighter kitchen. But just when things start looking up, a grave mistake on DiSpirito's part leads to a mass exodus by the fed-up waiters. (VCR Plus+ 5792)

Category: Reality TV
Release Year: 2003

Another quality Ice Cat creation 2003

val8456 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-04-03, 12:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail val8456 Click to send private message to val8456 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler"
hey rocco get it together!you show no loyalty to your servers.they take your crap while making no money.your lucky they didnt walk out on you.the tables get the wrong food,dont you have an expeditor!your french manager should be tossed out thedoor.the only thing he can do is bully your servers.im waiting for a real man to punch his lights out.your friends are so CHEAP.they eat for free,complain about everything and cant leave a decent tip!you come in kiss everybody,then stab them in the back as soon as something goes wrong.i see no one jumping in and helping out when things go crazy.two many chiefs and not enough indians as they say.so get it together and start being nice to your servers.happy people will do so much more for you.your still a real cutie but loose that attitude.a server for 25 years.

val8456 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-04-03, 12:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail val8456 Click to send private message to val8456 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler"
hey rocco get it together!why do you blame everything on your servers?you come in kiss everybody and than stab them in the back the minute something goes wrong.so the food is cold,dont you have an expediter?its their job to get the food together when its correct and hot.your french manager should be tossed out on his ass!hes nasty to your help and doesnt belong there.your servers are taking a lot of crap and making no money!your friends are pathetic and CHEAP.they eat for free,complain about everything and then dont tip!give me a break.your teaching people to go in and complain and they will get a free meal.not a good way to make money.when things get crazy i dont see anyone jumping in to help.you could spend a little time helping out if your customers are so important,and not sitting with them and B.S.ing!be loyal to your servers and they will be loyal to you.your still a cutie but you have to change your attitude. a server for 25 years.

sbeck 418 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-03, 12:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sbeck Click to send private message to sbeck Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler"
Hee-hee! His friends *are* cheap! You know, I've said it before and I'll say it again: waiters are servERS not servANTS! I'm not a waitress, but I've always admired them -- everyone in the customer service business, actually -- because I couldn't deal with it. Once he told me to come and have my hair done and told me what shoes I have to wear (even though I'm on my feet all day), I'd be outta there!

And since they had people sign in to be seated, they should have reminded them all that even though the food is 30% off, it doesn't mean that you stiff the servers that 30%. Weren't you guys all taught, too, that if your meal comes to $25, but you get half off, you still tip as if the meal were $25? That's what I was brought up to do. I guess my meager middle-class upbringing that taught me to be respectful of people from all walks of life isn't what Rocco's pathetic hoity-toity friends' upbringing was. . .

Majic Mitch 474 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-03, 12:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Majic%20Mitch Click to send private message to Majic%20Mitch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler"
Didn't they specifically say that she was a "food" critic for the Post? The editing just seems highly suspect now...

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-03, 02:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Rocco's NYP "Review" - spoiler"
they said she was a food critic. but she's definitely not. i agree that this makes the editing look like typical MB quality misleading.

~ cq

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •