The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"? about challenges further on and the sit out rule"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Gennenut 28 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-17-05, 11:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Gennenut Click to send private message to Gennenut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"? about challenges further on and the sit out rule"
If its true that we never really have a merge and the final ulong gets moved to join the 8 Koror I have a question once ulong gets below 4 members.

If the rule is you cant sit out both the ic and the rc what happens the 1st time Koror has to sit out 5 in the rc to make the challenge even and then they get to the imunity challenge and they again have to sit out 5? Atleast 2 of the chosen sitters will have sat out the last challenge also.

We havent had a merge at 11 that I remember so I can see this happening in the near future (8 koror vs 3 ulong).

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 More questions JohnMc 03-17-05 1
   RE: More questions bebekid 03-17-05 5
 My guesses lovwigglesworth 03-17-05 2
   RE: My guesses JohnMc 03-17-05 3
       RE: My guesses Devious Weasel 03-17-05 4
           RE: My guesses JohnMc 03-17-05 7
               RE: My guesses lovwigglesworth 03-17-05 8
               remember Borneo? television 03-17-05 10
                   RE: remember Borneo? television 03-17-05 11
   RE: My guesses Brownroach 03-17-05 6
 RE: ? about challenges further on a... CarrieBerry29 03-17-05 9
 Gender Imbalance JuniorTheorist 03-17-05 12
   RE: Gender Imbalance LibraRising 03-18-05 13
       RE: Gender Imbalance JuniorTheorist 03-18-05 14
           RE: Gender Imbalance watermelon 03-18-05 15
   RE: Gender Imbalance forehead 03-18-05 16
       RE: Gender Imbalance fedcamper 03-18-05 17
           RE: Gender Imbalance Brownroach 03-18-05 18
               RE: Gender Imbalance Devious Weasel 03-18-05 20
                   RE: Gender Imbalance watermelon 03-18-05 21
   RE: Gender Imbalance TorontoFan1 03-22-05 22
 RE: ? about challenges further on a... kathliam 03-18-05 19

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

JohnMc 2679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-17-05, 11:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JohnMc Click to send private message to JohnMc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "More questions"
How does a tie get broken at 4 with Ulong? I don't think that will happen because of the alliance of James/Steph/BJ. But if Ibe manages some kind of individual immunity again, then they will be forced to cannibalize again. What happens if, say, Ibe and Steph vote for James, and James and BJ vote for Steph?

Also, how do you avoid a 3-way tie when it comes down to 3 Ulong? Will there be one person with immunity that chooses who goes to the merge with them?

Definitely a season of first, which is exciting after 10 seasons!

bebekid 1621 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

03-17-05, 02:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bebekid Click to send private message to bebekid Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: More questions"
I've been wondering about all this too.

Only once have we seen a TC of 4 players, when they were not the final 4. That was in Marquesas, when Paschal, Neleh, Gina, and Kathy were the last of Maraamu. It was well known to Gina that she would be voted out, and there was no tie or even suspense at that vote. I don't think the same will be true for the last 4 Ulong.

And we have never seen a 3 person TC that was not the final 3. How that will be handled will be interesting.

And I suppose the challenge between Steph and Ibe/BJ is supposed to determine who finishes 10th and who joins the final 9. I guess there would be no other fair way to handle the fate of the last 2 members of Ulong.

lovwigglesworth 239 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-17-05, 01:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lovwigglesworth Click to send private message to lovwigglesworth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "My guesses"
My guess about the sit out rule is that they would just reverse the rule. As in the three people that DO the reward cannot be the same that DO the immunity challenge.
My guess on a tie vote in Ulong's case (I don't think there will be any more ties, but just in case) is they first give them a chance to change their votes, then they give them the rock. Or it could be like what never happened but was sort of described by Chris in Vanuatu, where the two that are tied are now immune and there would be another vote between the other two (this would only work at 4, though, not 3).

03-17-05, 01:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JohnMc Click to send private message to JohnMc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: My guesses"
<<Or it could be like what never happened but was sort of described by Chris in Vanuatu, where the two that are tied are now immune and there would be another vote between the other two (this would only work at 4, though, not 3).>>

This is mathematically impossible. At 4, if the 2 people with votes have immunity, then the 2 left have to vote for each other. It also is impossible at 3, as you pointed out.

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-17-05, 02:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: My guesses"
LAST EDITED ON 03-17-05 AT 02:02 PM (EST)

It's not impossible at four, because there could still be four people voting. They wouldn't necessarily apply the same system as last night.

03-17-05, 04:12 PM (EST)
7. "RE: My guesses"
If you use what they did last night, or if you use Chris' described system, you still end up with a tie.

With what the did last night, both people have to vote together or you are stuck with a tie.

If you do what Chris suggested, where the people who are tied have immunity, then the other 2 votes cancel each other out.

I'm probably just not understanding what you are trying to say. Please help me understand.

lovwigglesworth 239 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-05, 05:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lovwigglesworth Click to send private message to lovwigglesworth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: My guesses"
You are right that neither of these options would actually "solve" the tie. Both people would have to vote together for either to work. I think the Vanuatu approach that we never got to see (although it sounds like it would have been fun to watch if it had come into play) was more like a way to kind of punish them for having a tie. Kind of like, "since you guys couldn't come together and decide yourselves, we are going to take away your top two choices and make you scramble around and choose someone else."
Don't think either will happen really, this is all just what-if type of thinking. If they all can't decide themselves with someone changing their vote, then they would probably have a challenge I guess like Brownroach says.

television 282 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-05, 07:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail television Click to send private message to television Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "remember Borneo?"
For the F4, Kelly had immunity. Rich and Rudy voted for Sue, Sue and Kelly voted for Rich. There was a tie. Jeff said since Rich and Sue would vote for each other, just Rudy and Kelly would revote. My guess was that if it was still a tie, at that point it was who had the most previous votes that got kicked off, ala Jeff Varner. However, Kelly changed her vote and Sue was gone, hence the "I would let the vultures have you" speech from Sue to Kelly at F2.

So, just because people are tied the first time doesn't mean they won't change their mind when revoting (see: Steph last night). Does that make sense?

television 282 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-05, 07:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail television Click to send private message to television Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: remember Borneo?"
I just reread your post, and realized that wasn't what you were trying to say... I see what you mean now about Chris' scenario... yeah, that wouldn't solve a tie. I like the solution that Borneo used, personally, and either a challenge or purple rock if they were still tied after the second vote.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-05, 02:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: My guesses"
They don't use the purple rock at final 4 anymore. There is a challenge, to be determined by production, that settles the tiebreaker. I would imagine they'd use the same method here.

Bridge for sale to highest bidder. Call 1-800-BRroach.

CarrieBerry29 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-17-05, 05:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CarrieBerry29 Click to send private message to CarrieBerry29 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: ? about challenges further on and the sit out rule"
Ithink this may have been part of the reason for the double boot last night... They would have had this issue with 9 vs. 4 also. So I think they came up with the double boot to prevent this... for the future??? who knows...

JuniorTheorist 77 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-17-05, 11:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JuniorTheorist Click to send private message to JuniorTheorist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "Gender Imbalance"
The most important aspect of this, I think, is the necessary gender imbalance that will happen in this next episode.

Ulong is down to Ibe/Steph/BJ/James. Three guys, one girl.
So, I guess, necessarily, only two women will compete in any challenge in the next episode. From the vidcaps we see Janu and Caryn (weird choices, really). Is there any option to put more girls against guys in the challenge? Or does it always have to be equal in terms of gender?

From the vidcaps we see that Ian and Janu square off against Ulong in the swimming challenge. We see Tom and what seems like Caryn competing in the next challenge (shoot & switch). Does that mean that Koror has to play three guys in the first and then three guys in the second?

I see this as the most pressing problem; the 8vs3 problem isn't the biggest problem. Yes, there's necessary overlap there (and if things progress and we believe the spoilers) and it will become an issue. But the gender question is immediate, in this next episode if I'm doing my math correctly.

Any thoughts about this?

LibraRising 2847 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-18-05, 00:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail LibraRising Click to send private message to LibraRising Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
LAST EDITED ON 03-18-05 AT 00:08 AM (EST)

I might be wrong, but I think the only time the gender balance mattered was during the sumo contest (and Jiffy spelled it out on that one). Neither of these contests look like one-on-one physical tests, so I don't think it'll be an issue. Tribes have been unbalanced by gender before (even as far back as to the first survivor -- when Sonja was gone from one side and B.B. the other, it didn't matter).

But if you think about it, the numbers in a way might be a disadvantage for Koror in competitions. Basically, they have four strong men and four rather weak women. So now they'll have to play teams that are half weak and half strong. Ulong, on the other hand, has three strong members (or just two if it's a water challenge) and one weak (James). Koror's only other option is to pack one challenge with their strong players and risk running a weak team in the other challenge.

Correct me if I'm wrong: Coby's only sat out one challenge, Ian's sat out only one, and Tom and Gregg have been in them all. Now, all of these guys will have to sit out at least one challenge in this episode.

Of course, if the spoilers are correct and Ulong loses yet again, it won't matter anymore.

ETF my lousy grammar.

JuniorTheorist 77 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-18-05, 01:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JuniorTheorist Click to send private message to JuniorTheorist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
Even if it is spelled out by Jiffy, is it not an issue? I mean, I'n guessing that on gender-mixed groups that the gender-issue should be a generally-implied issue.

I've only started to track this, but I'm totally invested in figuring this out, so I'm seeking guidance on this one, and submitting my question to the higher-spoiler contributors.

Help me out, please!!

watermelon 184 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-18-05, 06:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail watermelon Click to send private message to watermelon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
I think it's only fair that, at 8-4, Koror will have to pick 4 members to do the RC and then the other 4 will have to do the IC. Sure, it's going to be gender-imbalanced, but in the last RC, the last 5 Ulong members (3 guys, 2 girls) went up against Ian, Tom, Gregg, Coby and Jenn, ie 4 guys and 1 girl. That hardly seems fair, does it? If they want to make it fair by balancing the teams next week (3 guys, 1 girl), then this week, they should have said that Koror had to pick 3 guys and 2 girls for the challenge.

forehead 932 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-18-05, 09:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail forehead Click to send private message to forehead Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
It will be interesting to see how the "sit-out-rule" will be adapted. Maybe "you can't compete in back to back challenges if you're wearing a brown buff"...

At any rate, gender should not be an issue. If anything, the Amazon showed us that women kick ____.

Close but no car...

fedcamper 142 desperate attention whore postings

03-18-05, 12:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail fedcamper Click to send private message to fedcamper Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
OK, I'm new, but why is gender imbalance an issue when there have been entire tribes of male vs, female on previous seasons?

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

03-18-05, 12:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
It isn't, as forehead said.

The "By Any Means" and "Sumo at Sea" challenges pitted man vs. man and woman vs. woman because there was one-on-one physical contact involved, but there is no reason to assume any more of the challenges will.

Bridge for sale to highest bidder. Call 1-800-BRroach.

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

03-18-05, 01:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
I'm not ruling it out for next week, though. Why else would Koror go three men and one woman in a non-physical challenge? I could see them being forced to do this so Koror would have a better chance at IC.

Unless the shoot is the IC and the build it is the RC. But I'm not willing to go down that road yet either.

watermelon 184 desperate attention whore postings

03-18-05, 01:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail watermelon Click to send private message to watermelon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
Koror is so far ahead - why would they need a better chance at challenges? Anyway, I agree that gender is not an issue, when we've seen the Vanuatu women decimate the Vanuatu men.

TorontoFan1 27 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-22-05, 03:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TorontoFan1 Click to send private message to TorontoFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
> Is there any option to put more girls against guys in the challenge? Or does it always have to be equal in terms of gender?
>

What if Peachy tells Koror that they will need to use a gender balanced team for the immunity challenge, as PART of the instructions for the reward challenge? Couple this with having to use different people for each challenge (i.e. don't sit out the same 4 back-to-back). Three Koror men and one woman need to be "held back" from the RC to save for the IC??

Could explain why there are three women competing in the water challenge. But that would mean that the water challenge is the RC, and the shooting one is the IC... The jury is still out on which is which at our house.

On the other hand....looking at this from Olong's point of view. If the Reward is Pringles and a scuba diving trip, is it worth going all out to win it? With just 4 of them, they must be working pretty hard around camp just to keep things under control. Going off scuba diving would make them even more tired for when the IC rolls around. But, that is looking at things logically - something they seem unable to manage.

kathliam 3669 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-18-05, 01:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kathliam Click to send private message to kathliam Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: ? about challenges further on and the sit out rule"
No one has mentioned this and, while I don't think it would happen, I'm just going to throw it out there for discussion.

Since the teams are 8-4 at this point, is there a possibility they would suspend the sit-out rule and require each Ulong team member to perform the challenge twice against Koror? For this one episode only, since the math won't work for the next series of challenges, no matter which team ends up going to Tribal Council.

I could see EPMB's fine hand in this to further punish Ulong for being so stoopid and incompetent.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •