The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Trading Spaces:When Homeowners Strike Back"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

munson 1314 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-07-03, 07:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail munson Click to send private message to munson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Trading Spaces:When Homeowners Strike Back"
She hated it!

A disgruntled homeowner tells what she *really* thought of her experience on TS.

From the March 30th episode: the purple fireplace, with the sitting area above it, in Las Vegas? Remember?

Clearly, anyone who invites Paige Page and any of these Interior Design school dropouts into their homes, where they live!, gets what they deserve.

If you ain't got Vern, you got trouble.

http://discovery.infopop.net/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=6941912904&f=6801993295&m=4701985926

It's me, Samm, the homeowner.

To clear things up...despite our positive reactions on camera, Kenny and I HATED the room! The reveal is just so overwhelming and we're just nice people at heart, so I guess our true reactions didn't come out! Needless to say, we've just about finished re-redoing the room.

From a design standpoint, we didn't understand most of Gen's decisions in our room. The room is open to the rest of our house, and she really needed to take that into consideration when choosing her color palette. As many of you posted, the colors in our home are warm; she chose a very cold grey and purples. Regardless of whether we liked the purple or not (we did NOT), it simply did not work with the rest of the house.

Amy Wynn's wood work was great; it's the only element of the room which still exists (after a few alterations). We definitely wanted that TV cubby enclosed...but why was it stained so dark? The rest of the wood in the adjoining room is a warm oak, and clearly visible from Gen's room. The two openings (one for the fireplace, one for the TV) were of completely different sizes and the TV door was on a hinge that only opened half way. If we had changed the hinge, the door would have swung into the hallway and hung into the walkway by about a foot and a half. The opening they created was also only about a third of the size of the cubby itself, and simply not planned out well at all.

The slipcovers on the couches (which I had previously reupholstered myself) were the disgusting, store-bought, elastic-bunched-up-arm things you find at K-Mart. On top of that, they weren't even put on well...they were sloppy and loose.

The "treatment" of the pot shelves...I don't know what to say. Plastic wheat grass (right into the garbage) and poorly painted terra cotta pots (likewise, garbage)? How many years of school did Gen go through to come up with that? I know some of you liked them, but the hanging grape lights were actually made of plastic beads and were dwarfed by the scale of the room (you're welcome to dig through our...you guessed it, garbage).

Another note about the lights..the grape lights and the little uplights on the pot shelves actually ended in a jumble of cords just out of sight of the cameras. The outlet they plugged into? Oh, it was around the corner in the bathroom. But really, the door only had to be left open 1 or 2 inches, so I guess that wasn't reallt THAT big a deal.

The arrangement of the couches looked alright on camera, but didn't work in reality. The sofa and loveseat were at right angles to each other, but their arms were overlapping to fit into the room (a pet peave of mine). Even with this attempt at accomodation, the loveseat still hung off the inlaid carpet and jutted out onto the tile floor on one corner.

The piece of furniture with the drawers which Gen put beneath the wall of photocopies (by the way, my degree is in fine art with an emphasis on PHOTOGRAPHY) was actually the bottom half of our CD cabinet. The top half of the cabinet, which stands about 12" tall, was on the floor in the corner between the couch and the loveseat. Its unfinished back faced into our dining area...a lovely touch!

The stained glass windows...also a failed attempt. The idea itself wasn't all that bad, but the techniques was poorly executed. The paint in the diamonds was splotchy and uneven, and those three square windows happen to be the only windows in our home through which our neighbors can see us.

Overall, we had a blast doing the show with Vern. He is truly a great designer and loves what he does. He takes pride in his work, and really is the consumate perfectionist you see on TV.

In contrast, I think that above all else, we were disappointed by the lack of professionalism we saw in Gen's room. Aside from our opinion of the room, so much of what she did was done halfway, poorly planned, and just...bad.

Sorry, Gen. I really think you missed the mark on this one.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners ... Loree 04-07-03 1
   RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners ... toddE 04-22-03 2
       RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners ... Survivorerist 04-26-03 3
           RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners ... Bebo 04-28-03 4
 RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners ... AZ_Leo 04-28-03 5
 RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners ... msherow 05-19-03 6
   RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners ... carencey 05-19-03 7
       RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners ... Coconut 05-20-03 9
       RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners ... Bebo 05-20-03 10
           RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners ... AZ_Leo 05-20-03 11
       I *heart* Vern too mtopaz 06-05-03 17
 RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners ... Mon Cherie 05-20-03 8
 Hildi never sticks around for the r... AZ_Leo 05-28-03 12
 RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners ... cqvenus 06-03-03 13
   RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners ... AZ_Leo 06-03-03 14
       RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners ... cqvenus 06-04-03 16
   RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners ... cornjob 06-19-03 18
 RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners ... SaphireLady 06-04-03 15
 RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners ... cornjob 06-19-03 19

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-07-03, 07:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners Strike Back"
I would never let these people in my house. The show is fun to watch for a laugh. But the work always looks rather cheap. You can pick up ideas to try with nicer wood or more expensive stuff. But they only have a small budget and it shows. I always think that if we could see the paint jobs, etc. up close we would think 'tacky tacky'. But on TV they can hide alot with camera angles.

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-22-03, 11:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail toddE Click to send private message to toddE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners Strike Back"
The woman quoted here wasn't really very positive during the reveal, either. She was clearly disappointed. Too bad for her, says I. What was she expecting?
Of course the low budget shows. The furniture limitations on a $1000 budget are laughable, considering that any half-decent sofa alone costs at least that much.

Survivorerist 4103 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-26-03, 06:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Survivorerist Click to send private message to Survivorerist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners Strike Back"
>>>The furniture limitations on a $1000 budget are laughable, considering that any half-decent sofa alone costs at least that much.<<<

They do a lot of the shopping at Salvation Army and other used furniture stores, and do a lot of reupholstering though, no?

(Another IceCat original )

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-03, 08:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners Strike Back"
do a lot of reupholstering

Yup, and I've been grossed out by a lot of the fabrics chosen.

Bebo says...919 beats 205 - I am your American Idol and the Baroness of Babedom.

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-28-03, 10:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners Strike Back"
It would be interesting to see a breakdown of happy vs unhappy homeowners by designer. I would guess there is a wide gap between the percentage of happy people who had Vern do their room as opposed to the percentage of happy people who had Hildi (assuming there were any).

msherow 8 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-19-03, 02:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail msherow Click to send private message to msherow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners Strike Back"
I'm surprised this show is still on the air. I have yet to see an episode whereby the outcome is good.

Trading Spaces is the worst decorating show on TV. That's why it's not on HGTV. Decorating Cents has a budget of only $500 per episode and they do a much better job.

carencey 263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-19-03, 10:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail carencey Click to send private message to carencey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners Strike Back"
The only trading spaces designer who would ever be allowed in the door of my house is Vern.

Coconut 10856 desperate attention whore postings

05-20-03, 10:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Coconut Click to send private message to Coconut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners Strike Back"
The only trading spaces designer who would ever be allowed in the door of my house is Vern.

Yes, indeed. 100% with you.

Fashioned by the sentient gray hands of IceCat

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

05-20-03, 11:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners Strike Back"
Yup. Every time I see a room I like, it turns out to be a Vern one. I haven't seen any of his that have made me turn my nose up and gag.

Bebo says...919 beats 205 - I am your American Idol and the Baroness of Babedom.

05-20-03, 11:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners Strike Back"
He did have one failure early on. It used a twin bed for a sofa (and looked it).

mtopaz 2167 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

06-05-03, 07:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mtopaz Click to send private message to mtopaz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "I *heart* Vern too"
LAST EDITED ON 06-05-03 AT 07:32 PM (EST)

Vern does some wonderful makeovers - did you see what he did in Andy (actor guy)'s kitchen - it looked incredible when he was through. By contrast, Gen did a really dismal job on the other homeowner's office and you could tell she was seriously disappointed. I like most of the makeovers by the southern lady - she usually has really nice fabrics and nothing too extreme.

Mmmm Topaz

Mon Cherie 1813 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-20-03, 03:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mon%20Cherie Click to send private message to Mon%20Cherie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners Strike Back"
Now I know why alot of the designers light candles in the finished rooms. Candlelight can make any room look good.

Mon

05-28-03, 11:47 AM (EST)
12. "Hildi never sticks around for the reveals"
While channel surfing during commercials on Monday night I happened across the "director's cut" of Trading Spaces. (I was actually watching the History of Russia but I never sit through commercials if I can help it.) Basically it was reshowing some episodes with quotes from the designers on the action. They were showing the one that Hildi designed that includes LPs all over a wall and she said it was the first time she had seen the owners reactions. Apparently she always leaves before the reveals and never watches the episodes when they air. Her comment on the homeowners reactions: "They seem surprised".

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-03, 04:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners Strike Back"
that is so so so so funny

i love TS but i love it b/c i love to see how the ppl react when they absof*ckinglutely HATE what the designers have done

and i love to see them always argue with doug. what a pompous jack@ss that guy is! it's so funny!

plus ty is hot. hella hot. mmmm, ty.

i emailed TLC and told them they should have a follow-up show where they show what changes the homeowners have made after TLC/TS leaves their homes. i think it would be really really funny.

also, this is great, if you haven't seen it... Trading Trailers. methinks this was the original target demographics for this show and it just failed to reach them... i guess you don't get tlc on rabbit ears macguyvered out of an old coat hanger...

~ cq

- trading trailers... lofl

06-03-03, 06:10 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners Strike Back"
LAST EDITED ON 06-03-03 AT 06:12 PM (EST)

>plus ty is hot. hella hot. mmmm, ty.

Ty's a skinny little twerp. Andrew Dan-Jumbo is the new TLC hotty. I think he just made People's list of 50. And he really is a carpenter and builder.

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/wywo/bio/bio_07.html

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings

06-04-03, 08:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners Strike Back"
i like him but he's not trading spaces he's while you were out. i like ty better. and he really -is- a carpenter, too.

~ cq

- insert comments here

cornjob 3 desperate attention whore postings

06-19-03, 12:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cornjob Click to send private message to cornjob Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners Strike Back"
that new show on the discovery channel, "monster house" is pretty damn funny too.....talk about some major changes. AND they make the homeowners live in a trailer in front of the house without peeking (beyond seeing the growing pile of crap ripped out of their houses and thrown on the front lawn) for a week!

>that is so so so so
>funny
>
>i love TS but i love
>it b/c i love to
>see how the ppl react
>when they absof*ckinglutely HATE what
>the designers have done
>
>and i love to see them
>always argue with doug. what
>a pompous jack@ss that guy
>is! it's so funny!
>
>plus ty is hot. hella hot.
>mmmm, ty.
>
>i emailed TLC and told them
>they should have a follow-up
>show where they show what
>changes the homeowners have made
>after TLC/TS leaves their homes.
>i think it would be
>really really funny.
>
>also, this is great, if you
>haven't seen it... Trading Trailers.
>methinks this was the original
>target demographics for this show
>and it just failed to
>reach them... i guess you
>don't get tlc on rabbit
>ears macguyvered out of an
>old coat hanger...
>
>
>~ cq
>
>
>- trading trailers...
>lofl

SaphireLady 2491 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

06-04-03, 00:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SaphireLady Click to send private message to SaphireLady Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners Strike Back"
Too bad, is the price she paid to be on TV.

I think some of the rooms turn out great. I love Frank and Vern. And I like the lady, most of the time, who was pregnant. But if I had to do this, I would want Frank or Vern.

"Do you know, I always thought unicorns were fabulous monsters, too? I never saw one alive before!" "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn, "if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you." Lewis Carroll; Through the Looking Glass

cornjob 3 desperate attention whore postings

06-19-03, 01:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cornjob Click to send private message to cornjob Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Trading Spaces:When Homeowners Strike Back"
LAST EDITED ON 06-19-03 AT 01:18 PM (EST)

that is freakin hilarious. up until now, my favorite episode was the one where the woman got her fireplace covered up by doug and she had to leave the room. when you heard her sobbing off-camera, i wanted to feel bad, but i just laughed. great television.

>She hated it!
>

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •