The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Who gives up?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-23-03, 12:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Who gives up?"
SB just posted this in the Probst Quotes thread and I think it deserves its own discussion thread (btw, SB, thanks for getting this quote up -- I don't think this part of the article was ever available via any of the web links.)

----------

Ok, so yesterday I finally got around to having an opportunity to read the full Survivor story in last week's TV Guide edition, and one thing stuck out at me that I don't remember seeing mentioned (then again maybe I just missed it) that I found potentially very interesting:

After a section where Jiffy is talking about how much he hopes for bad weather because he apparently thinks it makes a better show (huh?) the following appears:

Menacing skies fit nicely into the Heart of Darkness atmosphere that Burnett says he hopes to evoke, and according to Probst, the fear factor is too much for at least one player a game, someone who essentially throws in their buff. "Too often," he says, "it's the really cute girl - Tanya , Jessie - that nobody wants to see go home."

Thoughts?

-SB

--------

My guess is that it's not going to be the "really cute girl that nobody wants to see go home" this time.

It's gonna be one of the guys, and Ryan's looking borderline miserable in some of those caps, if you ask me.

-- br

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Who gives up? AZ_Leo 01-23-03 1
   RE: Who gives up? Brownroach 01-23-03 2
       RE: Who gives up? AZ_Leo 01-23-03 3
           RE: Who gives up? survivornmolekook 01-24-03 11
               RE: Who gives up? AZ_Leo 01-28-03 17
                   It don't mean a thing... Brownroach 01-28-03 18
                       RE: It don't mean a thing... AZ_Leo 01-28-03 19
                           RE: It don't mean a thing... Brownroach 01-29-03 22
 RE: Who gives up? Loree 01-23-03 4
 RE: Who gives up? tribephyl 01-23-03 5
   RE: Who gives up? Brownroach 01-23-03 6
       RE: Who gives up? tribephyl 01-23-03 7
           RE: Who gives up? Brownroach 01-24-03 8
           RE: Who gives up? SurvivorBlows 01-24-03 9
               RE: Who gives up? tribephyl 01-24-03 10
                   RE: Who gives up? VerucaSalt 01-25-03 12
                   RE: Who gives up? Brownroach 01-27-03 16
                   RE: Who gives up? AresMars 01-29-03 21
 I'm stickin' with Janet! tribephyl 01-26-03 13
   RE: I'm stickin' with Janet! Loree 01-26-03 14
 RE: Who gives up? Griffe 01-27-03 15
   Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of It dabo 01-28-03 20
       RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of... TeamJoisey 01-29-03 23
           RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of... SurvivinDawg 01-30-03 32
       RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of... FSUGUY 01-29-03 24
           RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of... Swami 01-29-03 25
               RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of... dabo 01-29-03 26
                   RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of... Brownroach 01-29-03 27
                   RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of... AZ_Leo 01-29-03 28
                       RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of... VerucaSalt 01-30-03 29
                           RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of... dabo 01-30-03 30
                               RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of... SurvivinDawg 01-30-03 33
                           RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of... Brownroach 01-30-03 31
                               RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of... VerucaSalt 01-31-03 34
                                   RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of... Brownroach 01-31-03 35

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

01-23-03, 12:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Who gives up?"
Keep in mind that this quote was made during the first 2-3 days of filming so it may not be deliberate misdirection on his part. Later on they did get the really bad storms he wanted according to an interview he did on one of the radio programs (Jeff & Jer?).

01-23-03, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Who gives up?"
LAST EDITED ON 01-23-03 AT 01:04 PM (EST)

>>it may not be deliberate misdirection on his part.<<

True, Leo, but JP rarely if ever gives quotes that blatantly misdirect, it seems to me. Rather, he makes coy statements that are designed to tease.

Since he says that TOO OFTEN it's the cute girl, I just have a hunch that's his way of giving a clue that it's not gonna be this time.

But we'll see...

01-23-03, 01:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Who gives up?"
Could also just be wishful thinking on his part. Of course whether he is wishing the cute girl stays in the game or gets to spend time with him at loser lodge is open for debate.

survivornmolekook 37 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

01-24-03, 10:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail survivornmolekook Click to send private message to survivornmolekook Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Who gives up?"
this show was already filmed- he knows what happens

01-28-03, 04:20 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Who gives up?"
According to the article where the quote being discussed came from, they were only a couple of days into filming when he said this, probably before the first tribal council. Now he knows what happened but at the time he could only have been speculating.

01-28-03, 05:24 PM (EST)
18. "It don't mean a thing..."
Leo, I'm very glad you pointed this out. I couldn't find a link to or posting of the entire article when I started this thread.

With no context, I interpreted the quote as being post-game, concurrent with the article. But if you read the entire article it's pretty clear that Jiffy said this while in the Amazon, at the same time the reporter was there, thus he could only have been speculating based on past Survivors.

He may already have had an initial impression that a certain contestant wasn't gonna hack it, but he wouldn't yet know if that would play out in the game.

So we can't guess either way based on this quote. Mea culpa.

01-28-03, 06:23 PM (EST)
19. "RE: It don't mean a thing..."
My pleasure. Since I'm not very good at speculation (certainly not compared to most people around here) and I've got no sources for spoilers, I feel the least I can contribute to this board is keeping the facts straight where I can.

01-29-03, 11:10 AM (EST)
22. "RE: It don't mean a thing..."
I think your speculation is quite good and, yes, keeping the facts straight is crucial. Again, because we had no post or link to the entire article, I took it to be a recent quote, but I see you mentioned the time frame in your first response and it seems to have sailed over my head -- Must*read*more*carefully!

There is still the Jiffy quote that Griffe posted below in this thread, which apparently *is* a post-game remark, but I think it's meant too generically to infer anything from it.

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

01-23-03, 02:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Who gives up?"
I could see MB upset if the cute young model boy goes home first. There go some of his ratings to keep the young girls watching. Did he increase the time to 90 minutes in the first ep just to have more screen time for Ryan?

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

01-23-03, 05:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Who gives up?"
"Too often," he says, "it's the really cute girl - Tanya , Jessie - that nobody wants to see go home."

My guess is that it's not going to be the "really cute girl that nobody wants to see go home" this time.

In the two statments relation, I totally agree with you. However, as to why it seems the sick player has to be the first boot, is beyond me.
First boot traditionally has been the outsider, loner, or challenge liability, not the sick person. The sick person is usually well liked but becomes a mercy boot a little later.

Ryan, probably is the first boot. But for reasons which he has a control of. For instance, his demeanor, his civility, his personality. Not, for being sick.

tribephyl

01-23-03, 05:56 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Who gives up?"
>>For instance, his demeanor, his civility, his personality. Not, for being sick. <<

Or maybe it's his demeanor, and on top of that he gets ill. Maybe this time the sickie-poo is "the cute guy...that EVERYONE wants to see go home."

01-23-03, 06:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Who gives up?"

could be, but I'm sticking with Janet (or Daniel, or even Deena.) as our "sickee".

Just to speculate... there are a lot of pic's of the guys sitting around their shelter. In most of these shots the tribemates seem to be sitting in a fairly consistent position.

Doubtful, that the shots were taken over consecutive days. More like one day, filled with "storyline". It seems also that Ryan may indeed be at the center of this controversy, as well as actually sitting in the middle of the shot. The last shot shows him and Alex coming to some sort of mutual ground, implying that at some point there was a difference of opinion between these two.

If Alex is the self-promoted leader, than Ryan could have something to say about that. That is all the set-up they need to have the vote be between Ryan and Alex at 1st TC. Ryan gets the boot because of his, personality. Even if he was sick, he won't get booted because he is sick. Therefore the sickee has to be someone else.
But, I already stated that.

tribephyl

01-24-03, 11:42 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Who gives up?"
Very good points, tribephyl.

I am speculating that perhaps Ryan gets "sick" or can't adapt, because he made a comment about the dangers being "for real out here." And he looks pretty forlorn in some of the caps. But if he is the first boot, it could definitely be for other reasons.

But -- I can conjecture why a person who is not adapting well might be the boot from Tambaqui if they lose the first IC. They may see it this way: they are Manly Men who got whupped by a bunch of Girly-Girls -- including a model, two 40+ moms, and someone with a hearing impairment, for God's sake! That CANNOT happen AGAIN! (being tongue-in-cheek here)

Even if someone was more directly responsible for them losing the first challenge, they might overlook that if there is someone feeling so continuously under-the-weather that he could be a greater liability the next time they go up against the girls.

They might elect to boot that person, even if he is a nice guy, rather than the person who flubbed the IC, or someone else who is obnoxious but is perceived as a bigger asset for the challenges.

Anyway, I still suspect the person that "can't hack it" is going to be one of the guys, even if he is not the first boot.

--Br

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

01-24-03, 01:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Who gives up?"
LAST EDITED ON 01-24-03 AT 01:27 PM (EST)

I agree that all those vidcaps are probably from the same one-hour or less scene -- never mind the same day. Check out the progress of the shelter, it doesn't seem to change and we already have footage of the guys all working hard and Roger talking about all of them being gung-ho, so I find it hard to believe the vidcaps are from anything other than a short "planning" meeting.

Personally though, I'm not sure there's a "conflict" going on here, I see some pointing (probably to possible trees that can be used for shelter, etc.) and then a "fist banging" thing among the guys when they decide to break out and resume work (check out the below -- it looks like they might be going around the group and doing the hand thing with Ryan)

01-24-03, 07:54 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Who gives up?"
and then a "fist banging" thing among the guys when they decide to break out and resume work (check out the below -- it looks like they might be going around the group and doing the hand thing with Ryan)

The way you are describing it, it sounds as if you believe that they are all friendly and chummy. I again, respectfully disagree.
Regardless of what Rodger says, about everyone picthing in, there is still the possibility that Ryan has a different opinion of how the shelter should be put together. Or he may pull a Jed and decide that food and water are more important than shelter. Therefore setting the stage, for controversy. I can't believe that everyone on the men's team gets along famously. Problems between tribemates should start right away.

I tend to believe, as I have stated before, that Ryan is at the center of a controversy. Why Ryan? What did Ryan do? I have no idea.
If it were a regular handshake than I am more apt to think that the problem (whether it be shelter building or not)most likely is hashed out. The end. "Friends"
But their "fistbanging" seems to me to be a temporary ending to their "in-fighting". Like an, "I agree to disagree" type of thing. Neither one is backing down, they are using this fist punch as a way to stay non-committal in their agreement. Not to mention less intimate.

This is not a huddle, where everyone comes together to get something done for the team. This is time spent, not building the shelter, to hash out a problem.

This picture has Ryan "pleading" his side.

Although, I cannot find them now. There is also a series of pic's that depict Ryan in focus while the camera pans around him showing all of the men surrounding him. In those pics Ryan looks a little uneasy. If that doesn't scream "at the center of the controversy", than I don't know Jack.

Also, I have a feeling I will be posting myself blue-faced, trying to get my point across. When all I wanted to say is Ryan is first boot, not because he may be sick, but because of the controversy that he is involved in, within the tribe of men.
So we still need to keep our eyes open to who is the "sickee".
But if it's Janet, you all owe me an apology. LOL

tribephyl

VerucaSalt 1580 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

01-25-03, 07:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail VerucaSalt Click to send private message to VerucaSalt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Who gives up?"
Well we don't know for sure that anyone is the "sickee" this time. Jeff may be using the "sickee" factor, i.e. Jesse, Tanya as a "comparison" because essentially their bodies gave up on them. This time he notes that someone just can't really handle it and wants to throw in the towel. That person doesn't necessarily have to get "sick" like J and T did though. This person could just be overwhelmed by the elements, hunger aka Steph situtation. I think Jeff is using that whole scenario in a broad sense.

As far as wanting to throw in the towel, I agree that this time it won't be the cute girl either. I'm actually leaning towards Daniel on this one, not necessarily Ryan even though Ryan is the one (based on the pic) that I think goes first.

I think Daniel is going to be clearly out of his element and I think his body is going to sorely be lacking nutrition. Couple that with his less than stellar performance in the first challenge, he may be the one to "want to throw in the towel." However, he doesn't because it doesn't say he does just wants to. Ryan however, I agree probably goes first because of something other than a weakened physical condition. I really believe this guy is great with women and sucks with men (except for his guyhood friends he has known forever) While Daniel may not be handling the elements well, I think he will keep his mouth shut better and try a little harder than Ryan. I think Ryan will rub someone like Rodger the wrong way and appear more of a slacker.

However, Daniel who is speculated as being the next one to go is given the heave ho because he is not tolerating this setting very well; that is who I am inclined to believe is the one who essentially wants to throw in the towel in that aspect.

Only two more weeks to find out!

01-27-03, 12:20 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Who gives up?"
LAST EDITED ON 01-27-03 AT 12:21 PM (EST)

Tribephyl, I totally see your point.

I am not trying to persuade anyone that Ryan is the "sick" bootee. I suggested it based on the vidcaps we've seen of him looking out-of-sorts -- the only male who looks that way. I admit that Ryan's pained expression is probably because he is at odds with the tribe about something.

But since JP says that too often it's the cute girl *that no one wants to see go home*, this time it might be someone who isn't too popular and would have been voted out anyway, imo.

I agree with VerucaSalt that the person who "throws in their buff" does not have to get sick in the Tanya/Jessie sense but may just be overwhelmed. Daniel sounds plausible: he may get excessively nervous and perform badly in the first immunity challenge *because* he is having trouble adapting to his whole environment. Janet is also possible, as she is the oldest member of her tribe and doesn't look like she's used to roughing it.

Anyway, I don't want to jump to conclusions based on anything JP says. I do feel that it won't be a Tanya/Jessie this time, and my hunch is that it's gonna be a guy, but that's all it is, a hunch.

AresMars 283 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

01-29-03, 11:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AresMars Click to send private message to AresMars Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Who gives up?"
But their "fistbanging" seems to me to be a temporary ending to their "in-fighting". Like an, "I agree to disagree" type of thing. Neither one is backing down, they are using this fist punch as a way to stay non-committal in their agreement. Not to mention less intimate.

"Fistbanging" is the high five of today. My son and I do it all the time, we used to high five but he started doing this last summer so I've picked up on it. He does it when he comes home and tells me he aced a partically hard test or when we make plans to do something fun. A typical exchange between us where this will occur is;

Me: "Hey Josh, want to go paint balling this weekend with Mike and Russ"

Him: "Awesome"

Him: "We're going to work them"

<Insert Fistbanging here>

This happens all the time and has nothing to do with settling differences. I am not saying there is not a problem with Ryan and the others but I have no doubt when this airs we will not be seeing any temporary settling of a disagreement but more likely an agreement to some plan either to work the girls in the RC, IC, or some camp related issue. I just ton't see enough tension in the caps to interpet this any other way.

God Bless America

There are two types of people, predators and prey, and the sound you hear is the sharpening of my claws.

01-26-03, 06:50 PM (EST)
13. "I'm stickin' with Janet!"
Two of the new stills posted by Krautboy in another thread add to my feeling that Janet is our "sickee" (at least 1000 words per pic. )

This image of Janet, comes nowhere close to her preshow shots, May I just mention that including the 2 or 3 days of survival training, she's only been there for 4 to 6 days. Does not look good for the lady with a great hairdo.

AND, Ryan is at odds with his teammates.

For some reason, When he isn't looking around warily, Ryan looks like he is arguing in almost all of the pre show shots so far.

tribephyl

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-03, 09:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: I'm stickin' with Janet!"
I don't know about sick. But Janet certainly looks bored.

Griffe 40 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

01-27-03, 03:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Griffe Click to send private message to Griffe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Who gives up?"
LAST EDITED ON 01-27-03 AT 03:46 AM (EST)

In addition to the comment in the TV Guide article, Jeff P. made another comment about someone getting sick in an article and it's a bit clearer that he's talking about a male. Not just any male but a male that evidently was hoping to meet a cute girl while on Survivor. I think he's probably talking about Ryan.

Newest 'Survivor' pits the guys against the gals
Philadelphia Daily News
By: Ellen Gray
January 15, 2003

Quote ~
<<"Survivor" host Jeff Probst thinks absence may have made some hearts grow fonder.

"I think one reason is separating them," he said, adding that during casting interviews, some contestants said, "'I hope I meet somebody out there. I'm single. It looks like there's some cute girls that have been on the show before.' And then you get out there and you're not eating. You're throwing up.>>

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

01-28-03, 08:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of It"
LAST EDITED ON 01-28-03 AT 08:53 PM (EST)

This brings up a propect I'd had roaming the back of my mind for awhile, what if it isn't physical illness but disgust over a situation which drives someone to give up? The first player to give up, BB in S1, was fed up with the kids, he wasn't ill in any other way.

Others who have given up:
Jeff V. (S2) citing knee injuries and inability at that particular challenge.
Nick (S2) illness.
Amber (S2) ineptitude (to be kind about it).
Jessie (S3) illness.
Clarence (S3) hunger.
Kim P. (S3) let's call it an emotional problem.
Gabe (S4) disinterest in game.
Big Rob (S4) disgust with situation.
Tanya (S5) illness.
Stephanie (S5) illness.
Jan (S5) achieved game goal of making jury.

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings

01-29-03, 03:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of It"

I think you have to add Mitchell to that list. He was overwhelmed by the physical strain, and sent home in a mercy vote. It happened to him much later than some others.

I don't think we have to have a "sickee" in the first TC, but JP's quote leads me to believe one of the male players has physical troubles early on. He didn't know that players fate at the time he was quoted, so for all we know that person could recover and win the whole thing.

These reality show contestants need a reality check!

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

01-30-03, 12:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of It"
Mitchell was not a mercy vote. He was a strategy vote for Ogakor to stay alive. However, his depleted physical condidtion DID help make the choice to oust him (instead of Jerri) easier.

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

FSUGUY 447 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

01-29-03, 04:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FSUGUY Click to send private message to FSUGUY Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of It"
was it mike that got burned up?

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

01-29-03, 04:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of It"
Yes. In S2 Michael Skulpin inhaled a sudden face full of smoke while leaning over to tend the fire. He collapsed onto the fire, burned both his hands badly, and was evacuated by helicopter. So far as I know, he made a complete recovery.

Swami

01-29-03, 04:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of It"
LAST EDITED ON 01-29-03 AT 04:56 PM (EST)

Yeah, Michael was evacuated due to the severity of his injuries (from which he did fully recover), but I didn't think that qualified as "giving up" as it was "screwing up." Similarly, I didn't count Mitchell in S2 even though he had been weakened by the conditions of the game, yet he stuck with his alliance and was strategically eliminated when Tina and Colby opted for keeping strength in the tribe in hopes of winning future tribe challenges. Those I listed as giving up due to illness had clearly thrown in the towel by the episode in which they were voted out. I suppose I could have listed Diane in S3 but it seemed to me that, despite having all but died from the heat, she tried to shift the focus onto Clarence in order to save herself.

I suppose I should add Rodger from S2, however, who sacrificed his chance to advance in the game in order to advance his buddy Elisabeth.

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

01-29-03, 05:34 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of It"
In Jiffy's quote, he's talking about the effect of the "fear factor", so he's referring to people who can't cope physically because of a problem adapting to the environment and/or situation. These people usually go early in the game. But people can subconsciously "give up" for many reasons, as you point out.

I wouldn't include Amber here though. IMO, she simply (and naively) thought Colby, Keith and Tina were going to boot all the Kuchas and keep her around till the Final 4. Inept? Absolutely -- but it's basically the same attitude that prevented Ted and Helen from doing anything to stop Brian in S5.

01-29-03, 05:57 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of It"
Mitchell could count. The tribal council was a tie between him and Keith and, if I remember, Mitchell told the others to vote him off because he was too weak and tired. It was a tie in the revote then he left because of previous votes. So he gave up but his alliance wouldn't let him go.

01-30-03, 07:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail VerucaSalt Click to send private message to VerucaSalt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of It"
LAST EDITED ON 01-30-03 AT 08:09 AM (EST)

There are four types of the sick factor.

The Jessie/Tanya puking factor. Immediate sickness

A Ramona, Diane, Stephanie who the elements got to and it made them either tired, appearing lazy, uncooperative, weak, etc. A element factor that just lays you out.

Then you have the Lex, Elisabeth factor which was a catching up to them sickness but they were so far along that it didn't hurt them with respect to it being the reason they were voted off.

Then you have the BB factor where the nature of the game and the people just pissed them off where they were sick of everyone and wanted off.

With the TV Guide statement that a male states about throwing up; one thing I would point out. On an all male tribe and even possibly a mixed tribe, I would NOT necessarily vote out a young strong man a la Jessie/Tanya. I think the combination of those two being young, women and throwing up got them a mercy boot. I don't believe if it was a man, that would necessarily cause the tribe to boot him or have the male "throw in the buff" which is why, despite the TV Guide statement that there may be a throwing up scenario with Ryan (assumingly Ryan) I don't think that is the "throwing in the buff" situation that is referred to. I think they are two separate situations

01-30-03, 09:02 AM (EST)
30. "RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of It"
Yes. Actually, if I were on an all-male tribe and the other tribe were all-female, I could see voting off the strongest guy first simply because (1) an all-male tribe even with a slight numerical disadvantage would still probably have a strength advantage over an all-female tribe, and (2) I'd rather not have him around when it comes to the individual challenges. If someone were sick I would think recovery was a possibility, as with Ramona. Someone having a deathwish, so to speak, would be a different situation; if someone really just doesn't want to be there, as with BB just wanting to go home or Gabe just not wanting to play the game, booting that person might become a social consideration even if it wasn't necesarilly a strategic one.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

01-30-03, 12:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of It"
As Survivor is about the social interactions, the first to go is going to be someone who doesn't get along with the others, or sets himself apart in some way.

This was the case with Debb (S2), Peter (S4), Patricia (S4), Kel (S2), Pastor John (S5), Jed (S5), Ghandia (S5) and Stephanie (S5) -- all early bootees.

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

01-30-03, 10:47 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of It"
>>On an all male tribe and even possibly a mixed tribe, I would NOT necessarily vote out a young strong man a la Jessie/Tanya<<

There is even a sort-of precedent for this. In S2, Jeff Varner was puking intermittently in Ep 1. Debb tried to convince the other Kuchas that he was so ill he wanted to leave, which wasn't the case -- he denied it, and they sent Debb packing instead. Jeff was fine after that.

01-31-03, 08:03 AM (EST)
34. "RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of It"
Brown, I forgot about that, thanks for reminding me. And sure enough who got the boot, Debb lol

It's going to be a little different with two sexed tribes (that sounds almost erotic!) The reasonings behind the boot will be different. So despite Daniel "screwing up" the first challenge, I don't believe that would be the reason for a boot. Ryan puking would not be a reason for a boot. But yes, attitude and ego on all male tribe would be a reason and I see Ryan doing that before Daniel just by Ryan's words that have been printed.

On the female tribe however, I think it would go more along the typical lines. The sick would bring out the mercy boot IMO. As a woman, if I saw someone like Jessie/Tanya, I would vote them off because of that whole nurturing motherly thing a lot of women have in them. Like I said in another thread, I'm "generalizing" so please women don't get insulted. I would say a majority of us have that kind of instinct. However, with the average makeup of these women by age, I would hazard a guess that they are not going to appreciate someone being the bossy preachy mom SO my theory on that is, IF none of the women get sick, by default the Debbish, Linda type would go which leans towards Joanne (that is her name right, the black woman?) If she practices Ms. Sgt. at Arms with Shawna, Jenna, Heidi and Jeanne (who strikes me as a very young 41) they are going to be like who are you? My mother? So that boot would be more of not a getting sick or getting sick of it but rather a "Getting sick of HER"

01-31-03, 01:13 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Getting Sick vs Getting Sick Of It"
>>my theory on that is, IF none of the women get sick, by default the Debbish, Linda type would go which leans towards Joanne (that is her name right, the black woman?)<<

Veruca, it's Joanna, with an "a". (I'll be amazed if any of the women's names are spelled right at their first TC vote, LOL.)

>>If she practices Ms. Sgt. at Arms with Shawna, Jenna, Heidi and Jeanne (who strikes me as a very young 41) they are going to be like who are you? My mother?<<

I can see Joanna having problems for a slightly different reason. She is 31 and single. There are four single women in their early 20's, who will likely relate to each other easily. The remaining three are older than Joanna and are married moms, giving them a level of shared experience on which to connect. But Joanna may be isolated from everyone, age-wise and/or experience-wise, right from the beginning.

And her propensity for shouting 'Hallelujah", as reported in TV guide, likely won't help her.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •