The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Fear Factor gone too far?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-17-03, 01:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Fear Factor gone too far?"
Here's an article about "Fear Factor" and one of the things they are asking contestants to do. Warning: strong content.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=91&ncid=91&e=7&u=/bpihw/20030117/en_bpihw/reality_tv_leaves_bad_taste

...does not watch Fear Factor...
Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 That ep Bebo 01-17-03 1
 RE: Fear Factor gone too far? Swami 01-17-03 2
   RE: Fear Factor gone too far? smiles 01-17-03 3
       What's the big deal... IceCat 01-17-03 4
           RE: What's the big deal... Survivorerist 01-17-03 5
 Comments AyaK 01-17-03 6
   RE: Comments Bucky Katt 01-17-03 7
       RE: Comments SurvivinDawg 01-19-03 10
 RE: Fear Factor gone too far? BaquaR13 01-17-03 8
 RE: Fear Factor gone too far? Ahtumbreez 01-18-03 9
   RE: Fear Factor gone too far? dabo 01-19-03 11
       Is it just me s_man 01-25-03 13
           RE: Is it just me dabo 01-27-03 14
 Problem is Bebo 01-21-03 12
 RE: Fear Factor gone too far? mistofleas 01-27-03 15
   RE: Fear Factor gone too far? SurvivorOverlord 01-28-03 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

01-17-03, 02:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "That ep"

Me? The Mole? Ya think? Well, I AM Evil.

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

01-17-03, 04:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Fear Factor gone too far?"
That was very interesting, Dawg. I enjoyed watching Fear Factor when it first came out. I stopped watching mostly because I really dislike the escalating gross food segment. It is one thing for people to eat a small portion of something disgusting/foul, but they want people to eat, like, 1 lb of sheep's testicles, drink a pint of bile from a cow's stomach and things like that.

I guess the word 'exploitation' isn't part of my thought process in no longer watching. These people sign up to be exploited, after all. There is no viewer-appealing challenge in Fear Factor's gross food--just unappealing grossness--nor do I respect contestants for their completing this type of challenge. Make 'em jump out of helicopters onto targets, swim thru pipes, lie in a coffin full of scorpions... fun stuff like that! Something I can relate to as an exciting challenge.

Swami

smiles 675 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

01-17-03, 05:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail smiles Click to send private message to smiles Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Fear Factor gone too far?"
I agree! I don't care what gross things they eat. Who isn't afraid of eating those things?? We need more activities. Could it be possible that they ran out of ideas??

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

01-17-03, 05:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "What's the big deal..."
Last season they had them eat pig rectum.

One imagines that horse rectum would be an improvement.

The worst one was when they had each contestant each two buffalo testicles each. Sausage casings are made of intestines and very many people eat those without a second thought.

This 'controversy' says more about cultural bias than anything else. Raw seal's eyes are treasured by inuit children as much as candy is treasured by other children. If that cultural practice were depicted on prime time television would that be crossing the line.

There are far better things to censor than 'Fear factor'. People have the right and responsibility to determine what they themselves should watch. I distrust anyone who advocates censorship of anything that is not directly or indirectly causing harm to another. It it offends one, one should turn the channel but one should not attempt to impose one's morals and tastes on others.

Survivorerist 4103 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-17-03, 05:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Survivorerist Click to send private message to Survivorerist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: What's the big deal..."
I'd just like to add that my family, which is Chinese, had chicken hearts for dinner yesterday, and I've always loved them.

(Another IceCat original )

The Top 5 FLL Castaways

1. Neleh Dennis (11 weeks at #1)
2. Colby Donaldson (5 weeks at #1)
2. Helen Glover (5 weeks at #1)
4. Amber Brkich (4 weeks at #1)
4. Lex Van Den Burghe (4 weeks at #1)

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

01-17-03, 06:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Comments"
LAST EDITED ON 01-17-03 AT 06:17 PM (EST)

Fear Factor: watched it once, was grossed out. Voted for it as one of 5 worst reality shows on TV last year. Will probably do it again this year. My take: attracts people who would prefer to be on "Jackass," were it still on.

The panel: what a great panel for reality TV! Wow, I would have loved to see that discussion -- and I'm sure that "Fear Factor" wouldn't have been my focus. Here's the lineup:

Moderator: Anderson Cooper ("Mole 1/2" host)
Panelists:
Mark Burnett ("Survivor U.S." executive producer)
Mike Darnell (Fox VP of special programming -- in other words, the guy who approved "Joe Millionaire" ... and maybe "Love Cruise," "Boot Camp" and "Temptation Island")
Simon Cowell ("American Idol" panelist/soon-to-be-co-producer of "Cupid")
Mike Fleiss ("The Bachelor"/"The Bachelorette"/"High School Reunion" creator-executive producer)
Curt Sharp (NBC VP of special programming -- in other words, the guy who approved "Fear Factor" ... and "Chains of Love")
Paul Smith ("Who Wants to be a Millionaire" creator)
R.J. Cutler ("American High" creator)
Robert Bianco (USA Today TV critic)

Bucky Katt 3146 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-17-03, 07:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bucky%20Katt Click to send private message to Bucky%20Katt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Comments"
Moderator: Anderson Cooper ("Mole 1/2" host)

I missed Mole 1/2. Was it The Mole with all "little people"?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

"I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it's requested or not."

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-03, 01:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Comments"
"I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it's requested or not."

You have to resolve to do this? Comes naturally to me...

Me? Assert my opinion on anything?...
Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

BaquaR13 1336 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

01-17-03, 08:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BaquaR13 Click to send private message to BaquaR13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Fear Factor gone too far?"
Naw... it is FEAR factor. The contestants know what they are getting themselves into. It wont kill them.

The Reality Show Queens!!

BaQuAr13

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

01-18-03, 01:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Fear Factor gone too far?"
LAST EDITED ON 01-18-03 AT 02:26 PM (EST)

Ky3 in Springfield MO chose not to air this episode. Now it was ok to air the weenie roast with the animal penises, it was ok to air the one with them eating sheep uteruseseses and it was ok for buffalo testicles to be eaten, but our sensibilities were to sensitive for horse rectums I guess.

One woman called in to the radio station and said she was glad the tv station censored the show as she has 4 kids and 4 tv's and she just can't stay on top of what they're watching all of the time. I say to that, get rid of 3 of the tv's and watch together, and quit letting the tv's be your babysitter. Wow, I really got on my soapbox and completely got off the subject. Anyway, do you think stations should censor shows like this and where is the line?

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-03, 10:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Fear Factor gone too far?"
A horse is a horse, of course of course. Let me know when they get around to eatin' 'possum pie, them are the mangiest critters on the planet.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

s_man 579 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

01-25-03, 09:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail s_man Click to send private message to s_man Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "Is it just me"
or does D sound JUST LIKE Sandy Cheeks (of SpongeBob fame) in this post???? Huh? Huh?

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-03, 00:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Is it just me"
Ah gorts me sum acorns here, ya wanner try'n eat sum?!

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-03, 03:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "Problem is"
The show just has to keep topping itself. Last night's challenge included 3 gross foods. It seems like their goal is to make sure at least one contestant barfs each ep.

I don't watch the show that often, because it is too formulaic. You've seen one, you've seen 'em all.

Meet trash-talking contestants.
See trash-talking host.
See kinda-cool stunt that the guys think the girls are too weak to perform.
See more trash talk.
See gross food challenge, usually with barfing.
See more trash talk.
See a final challenge.
Hear the winner pat him/herself on back.

Scatter the words "I want that $50,000" throughout, and you've got the show.

Royalty, shmoyalty...EVIL rules!

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-03, 05:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mistofleas Click to send private message to mistofleas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Fear Factor gone too far?"
from the article:

"The luncheon program was organized by...."

What I wanna know is what was on the menu?

--just couldn't help it

SurvivorOverlord 1351 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

01-28-03, 04:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorOverlord Click to send private message to SurvivorOverlord Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Fear Factor gone too far?"
I agree that when they bring in the gross food stunts it is no longer fear factor but gross out factor...I don't think anyone is scared of horse rectum or buffalo testicles, so why are they on the show. When they show has a second stunt like being buried in scorpions or snakes or rats or any other stunt that actually plays on peoples phobias then it really is fear factor....when they have the gross eating stunts...I just turn it off and go have a snack

"It's only cheating if you get caught".....Al Bundy

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •