The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Survivor 5"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-18-02, 10:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Survivor 5"
Yes, I probably could have searched and found a home for this in another thresd. But there are some unique features that I want to point out.

In Survivor 4, Kathy was abrasive and had early arguements.

In Survivor 5, Shii Ann has been abrasive and had spats with Robb and Steph (and possibly Jed, since he voted for her and was told by others they'd vote for her).

In Survivor 4, Kathy did a good bit of early narrarating(sp?).

In Survivor 5, Shii Ann is doing a good bit of early narrarating(sp?).

In Survivor 4, Kathy had a chance to pee on someone's injury, and helped John out.

In Survivor 5, Shii Ann had a chance to do the same... but didn't help out her "buddy" Robb. (okay, this was thrown in for humor, work with me here)

In Survivor 4, Kathy was on the fringe, if not the right outside, of her original tribe's main alliance. (I say the fringe because Pappy and Neleh DID keep her over Gina later).

In Survivor 5, Shii Ann is being edited as in the main SJ alliance... but barely.

In Survivor 4, Kathy went to the other tribe in the random swap. This helped her to survive.

In Survivor 5, Shii Ann was given pause to go to the other tribe. This might have helped her if she had.

And the biggie:

In Survivor 4, KATHY was frequently selected by early vote polls to visit Loser Lodge. As a matter of fact, she didn't leave until she'd secured the Bronze, thanks partially to (coco)nut-busting, a purple rock, and the ol' bra trick. And when she got there, the walls were moving in on her, so she said.

In Survivor 5, there seems to be strong interest in choosing SHII ANN to visit the Lodge. There is also spoiler information that Shii Ann gets a medal (bronze or better). (I shall not name the source of this spoiler, but he apparently used to jump out of perfectly good aircraft while in flight... as did I.)

So the only questions are: Will the walls move in on Shii Ann? Will the bra trick work on HER, of all people? *ducking for cover*

Seriously, I think this is a parallel that invites study among the spoiler cogniscenti of the board. Your comments?

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across. -- Julian Simon

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Surviv... erikman 10-19-02 1
   RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Surviv... IslandFever 10-19-02 2
 RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Surviv... MattyMax 10-19-02 3
 RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Surviv... Jims02 10-19-02 4
   RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Surviv... I_AM_HE 10-19-02 7
   off topic comment for Jims02 corcam 10-19-02 8
       RE: off topic comment for Jims02 Jims02 10-20-02 11
           RE: off topic comment for Jims02 fivestarwheezy 10-20-02 14
   RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Surviv... PhoenixMons 10-21-02 15
 RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Surviv... steppingrazor42 10-19-02 5
   RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Surviv... oatarut 10-19-02 6
       RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Surviv... SaphireLady 10-19-02 9
           RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Surviv... ShowMeTheWinner 10-20-02 10
               RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Surviv... SaphireLady 10-20-02 12
                   RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Surviv... psileste 10-20-02 13
 RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Surviv... jkokoj 10-21-02 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

erikman 324 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

10-19-02, 00:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail erikman Click to send private message to erikman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Survivor 5"
well she is on paratroopers fire pic of f3 of brian, ted, and shii. she has the most story of the sucks, besides robb. gdiva friends pics is the bigest thing keeping her on the boot list.

IslandFever 205 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-19-02, 00:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IslandFever Click to send private message to IslandFever Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Survivor 5"
Seems like Jed in particular was a little ticked off with her in his comments, implying that is his estimation that she went farther than he thought she deserved. She would not be a threat after the merge and could be the last to go from her tribe.

MattyMax 515 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-19-02, 00:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail MattyMax Click to send private message to MattyMax Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Survivor 5"
Dawg, Shii has a Capricorn cusp, which definitly reminds me of Kathy. She's also on Aquarius, which means she's a thinker, an air.

If nothing else, these girls WORK and are ALWAYS TINKING.

Erin says that she thinks that Shii is on the s**t list, and that Shii ann didn't know, but She knew. Notice how Jake likes Shii, and Jake is the compass rose of the shelter people. She is a swing, like KATHY, in the 5 allinace of SJ. Without a switch, we know how this will play out, like S1 and S2. (I KNEW there wasn't going to be a switch, in my bones)

She has been narrating, how would we understand SJ tribal dynamics without Shii Ann's commentary? If anything, I think she'll make the jury (due to Jed's vitriolic language towatds her, she didn't spend time with him). She's a good communicator (Aquarius).

Anyway, I can't see the future. We'll see what happens. But I have 10$ riding on her.... tangrams...

MattyMax

Jims02 7407 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-02, 10:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Survivor 5"
I really like your argument, Dawg!

However, one part of the editing really annoys me. If you look at the Fanatics' Love List, Shii Ann tops many people's lists (inluding mine). I don't recall Kathy being edited in such a likeable light for the audience.

Instead of labelling Shii-Ann as a Kathy, I'd rather go with that "despondant underdog" role.

I think Helen might be getting the old "Kathy editing," but the problem with that is that Helen's been edited nicely a little too QUICKLY. She started bland and annoying, but in only 4 episodes, some have started to relate and respect her.

That's just my opinion.

Quotes of the week
1. "You will NOT see my ta-ta's" -Shii Ann

2. "Do they think I'm too controlling?" -Helen (um, yeah)
3. "My two year old (had a tantrum) one time and I whupped its @$$ and put it back to bed." -Clay
4. "I'm putting in an order for a bigger butt in my next life." -Jan (randomly)

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-02, 07:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Survivor 5"
i agree Jims, a lot of people already liked Shii and thought she would win, which is a far cry from Kathy

on the other hand, we've noted similarities between Kathy and Helen, which may account for the jump in people liking her, whereas she was relatively unliked at the beginning.

i don't know that there is another Kathy in this series, but i'd also be more inclined to think Helen is than Shii (although Shii would be a good second choice for the role)

corcam 374 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

10-19-02, 10:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail corcam Click to send private message to corcam Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "off topic comment for Jims02"
I love you little quotes they are so cute... I have a new one for you how about Jan again "See ya wouldn't wanna be ya" lol

Jims02 7407 desperate attention whore postings

10-20-02, 01:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: off topic comment for Jims02"
Thanks so much!!!

I started doing this during Mole 2 since I was a new poster with an illiteracy with graphics. People seemed to enjoy it and gave me suggestions. So I transferred it to Survivor 5 (with fun colors of course!)

As for this week's quote, I still gotta watch the show again to find a good one, although the Jan one might work (God, I'm lazy)

Quotes of the week
1. "You will NOT see my ta-ta's" -Shii Ann

2. "Do they think I'm too controlling?" -Helen (um, yeah)
3. "My two year old (had a tantrum) one time and I whupped its @$$ and put it back to bed." -Clay
4. "I'm putting in an order for a bigger butt in my next life." -Jan (randomly)

fivestarwheezy 958 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-20-02, 10:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail fivestarwheezy Click to send private message to fivestarwheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: off topic comment for Jims02"
Clay's response to Jan was funny--'No sh!t, Sherlock'

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

10-21-02, 09:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Survivor 5"
LAST EDITED ON 10-21-02 AT 09:03 AM (EST)

Jims02,

I just wanted to comment about the "likeability" aspect you mentioned in your post.

I think most people will agree that this cast of Survivors is pretty blah (at least in comparison with the past casts). The Love Lists aren't ranking each survivior individually (like on a scale system), rather as compared to everyone else. I think the fact that Shii Ann tops so many Love Lists might be more telling if, for example, the lists were made by giving each person an individual ranking instead of just by putting them in order. I personally like Shii Ann more than most of the rest of the S5 folks (I actually DID like Kathy early on last season) but that doens't mean I like her, per se (KWIM?). I just wanted to chime in after I read your explanation.

But, I definitely see a Kathy/Shii similarity.

steppingrazor42 283 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-19-02, 04:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail steppingrazor42 Click to send private message to steppingrazor42 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Survivor 5"
I agree that Shi-Ann could definitely be an "underdog" that fights her way back to the top. I think the realization that she was "the only minority on the island" was a very carefully edited moment, just like Sean saying that an African-American couldn't win the game. I don't dislike Shi-Ann, I think she might be the person Jiffy's talking about who starts out cocky but we end up cheering for later on.

oatarut 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-19-02, 06:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail oatarut Click to send private message to oatarut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Survivor 5"
I remember reading an interview with Jeff Probst where he said that a lot of the players played in a very dark way and that it was hard to tell who was aligned with who.

This makes me think that Shii Ann is the despondant underdog but switches alliances a la Kathy/Neleh/Pappy.

SaphireLady 2491 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

10-19-02, 11:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SaphireLady Click to send private message to SaphireLady Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Survivor 5"
Well, I have to say I am not on the Shi band wagon, can't stand her. I do NOT want to see her go futher. I think she is a selfish person. I don't care what anyone thinks of Robb as a person, when a person is injured a human being should have and show compassion. Something she did absolutely none of. This makes her a terrible person and no amount of saying it is a game can change that. Game or not, time outs are called due to injuries and a "real" person would have acted instead of smiling and being a jerk.

ShowMeTheWinner 962 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-20-02, 04:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ShowMeTheWinner Click to send private message to ShowMeTheWinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Survivor 5"
I don't care what anyone thinks of Robb as a person, when a person is injured a human being should have and show compassion. Something she did absolutely none of.

Ahhh... but then again, nobody else in the tribe paid much attention to Robb's injury either. And come on, the size of the injury is a small, teeny weeny, pimple size bite and Robb kept screaming FFFFFF****** that we only caught a small glimpse of. If Robb had been fallen into the fire like Mike, then it'd be wrong not to show any compassion. But a mosquito-bite injury? Nah...

Kathy O'Brien... The Sole Survivor! (I'd rather be delusional)

SaphireLady 2491 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

10-20-02, 02:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SaphireLady Click to send private message to SaphireLady Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Survivor 5"
A brown recluse spiders bite is very tiny, yet does a tremdous amount of damamge, I.E. eats the flesh away. A stingrays bite injects poisen into the body, news flash that means pain, and with the stinger, which they said on TV was still inside the foot, will continue the pain until removed. Hence once they found it and removed it, he was still in alot of pain. Oh and go look up what happens with a stingray bite and find it out. Also on another message I stated that the whole team, other then Robb, was nothing but robots. Come on, he is loud and obnoxious but he is a fellow human being, once the others realized he was hurt and not playing they did come to his aid while Shi sat on her rear making rude and unnessesary comments.

psileste 23 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-20-02, 03:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail psileste Click to send private message to psileste Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Survivor 5"
This has gotten way off the original topic, but the fact that Robb could get up and walk away without favoring that foot AT ALL after realizing he wasn't going to get much sympathy is enough to convince me that he is just a whiner. We saw no further references to the injury and he didn't sit out any challenges over it. I've bled more from paper cuts. I don't think they said the stingray left anything behind, but that the area seemed a little bruised. There was probably some pain from venom since the skin was broken, but after the hot water neutralized that, there wasn't much left to whine about, which is why we saw him stroll away.

jkokoj 4389 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

10-21-02, 10:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jkokoj Click to send private message to jkokoj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Shii Ann: The "Kathy" of Survivor 5"
Good camparison, however, I do not think Shii is as genuine as Kathy is. Shii's comments about Robb are pretty lame (I know we bash him too). The way she talks about Robb leads me to believe that she probably talks about the other tribe members pretty harshly as well. Obviously Jed and Steph dislike and Erin as well.

I am not crazy about Shii but so far she and Robb have the best story lines on their tribe.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •