The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Extreme Makeover"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-10-02, 04:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Extreme Makeover"
Oh.my.heck. This is such a frightening concept to me.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/12/10/tv.american.makeover.ap/index.html

'Extreme Makeover': A mirror of America?
Good-looking people trying to upgrade appearances

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- When Cinderella decided to move out of the 'hood, her fairy godmother obliged with a carriage, ballgown and glass slippers.

Cindy's benefactor seems like a real piker now. A trio of lucky souls who won the chance to improve their looks and life on the ABC special "Extreme Makeover" got a lot more than new threads and a cool ride.

Stacey, 31, a medical worker, received brow and eyelid plastic surgery, liposuction and a chin implant. Stephanie, 24, an insurance representative, was given liposuction, breast implants and vision-correction surgery. Personal trainer Luke, 29, had a tummy tuck.

All got nose jobs, dental work, new hairstyles and wardrobe. The process -- along with the supposedly happy ending, which was edited out of a preview tape -- is detailed on the show airing Wednesday (9 p.m. EST).

"Who among us hasn't wanted to change something about ourselves?" asks Howard Schultz, the executive producer of "Extreme Makeover."

"This is definitely my chance and I'm going for it. There's no stopping me now," Stephanie (no last names were provided) says as she prepares for her transformation.

Before their makeovers, the three aren't perfect but neither are they unattractive. Clearly, the bar for beauty is set high in this hyped, celebrity-driven age, driving many to distraction if not surgery.

Different take from British series
Americans aren't alone in this self-absorption. But compare "Extreme Makeover" with a British series that takes a different approach to the personal makeover.

"What Not to Wear," which begins airing this week at 10 p.m. EST Tuesday on BBC America, offers participants advice from fashion experts, about $3,000 for a new wardrobe, and a bit of hair and makeup counsel.

That's it. No wholesale rearranging or addition of body parts, and yet the women involved seem just as jazzed as the reconstituted Americans.

"I was trying to hide myself under those clothes," says one cute but frumpy young woman, Sam, who emerges as a butterfly in her sleek new wardrobe.

A fair number of Americans, however, apparently feel that if a little self-improvement is good, a whole lot is even better: ABC said the number of people who applied for an "Extreme Makeover" was "in the thousands."

What the three winners -- not losers anymore! -- gained were the attentions of wizards in their fields, including hairstylist-to-the-stars Jose Eber and eye surgeon Dr. Robert Maloney.

ABC declined to divulge how much it all cost.

"This is the last night I'm going to look like me," one participant comments before surgery. "I'm so looking forward to the new life that I'm going to experience."

The show prods a "Twilight Zone" flashback, to an episode about a young woman who resists a futuristic society's rite of passage requiring her to be turned into a cookie-cutter beauty. She finally succumbs and is entranced with her homogenized good looks.

Self doubt
An attitude like that wouldn't wash with feisty Geneve, featured on an upcoming episode of "What Not to Wear." With her wild mop of hair and addiction to clothing that displays her buxom charms, Geneve sneers at the suggestion she adopt a more modest style.

"What makes you think you know better what suits me?" she tartly asks the "What Not to Wear" experts who have been summoned by supposedly helpful friends. You go, girl.

"What Not to Wear," with energetic hosts Trinny Woodall and Susannah Constantine, ends up as a cheerful romp that is content to skim the surface.

The ABC show, from Lighthearted Entertainment, is anything but, asking participants to put their deepest self-doubts on display for a chance at instant happiness.

"The Sopranos" recently held a mirror up to this quest for physical and personal perfection. Neurotic mobster Tony expressed his admiration for the boundless determination of Svetlana, a one-legged Russian immigrant, and got only disdain in return.

"That's the trouble with you Americans -- you expect nothing bad ever to happen, when the rest of the world expects only bad to happen, and they are not disappointed," she said.

"You have everything, and still you complain. ... You got too much time to think about yourself."

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Extreme Makeover SurvivorBlows 12-11-02 1
 RE: Extreme Makeover SurvivorBlows 12-11-02 2

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

12-11-02, 00:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Extreme Makeover"
We reported on this months ago (although some personal trainer this guy must be -- he needs a tummy tuck???)

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=486

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=754

-SB

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

12-11-02, 11:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Extreme Makeover"
Btw, if you thought this was a frightening show, check this one out:

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/print.php?sid=797

-SB

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •