The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"How to Catch a Mouse?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

bystander 4968 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

01-25-07, 03:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bystander Click to send private message to bystander Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"How to Catch a Mouse?"
While putting away Christmas decorations in the basement I discovered a basket of corncobs on the shelf. At first I thought it looked kinda strange and then it hit me. HEY, there used to be colorful Indian Corn on those corncobs. WTF? So I pick up the basket and in the back of my mind I hear Mulder telling me that the truth is out there. And there it was.....Mouse Droppings!!!!! OMG! We have Mice, or Mouse! I need to remedy this situation.

What should I use to rid my house of these vile creatures?

Should I go with the standard metal spring trap that breaks their little necks? Should I go for the sticky glue box that suffocates them in yellow glop? Should I catch them in a posh little mouse hotel and set them free in the woods behind my house in the hopes that they forget how they got inside in the first place? Or, should I poison their arses and let them die a slow painful death leaving only dehydrated skeletons in the corner?

Any thoughts?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: How to Catch a Mouse? geg6 01-25-07 1
   RE: How to Catch a Mouse? bystander 01-25-07 7
 RE: How to Catch a Mouse? ginger 01-25-07 2
   RE: How to Catch a Mouse? bystander 01-25-07 8
   RE: How to Catch a Mouse? Emily RugBurn 01-25-07 11
       RE: How to Catch a Mouse? ginger 01-25-07 14
   RE: How to Catch a Mouse? northernlights 01-25-07 20
 RE: How to Catch a Mouse? J Slice 01-25-07 3
 RE: How to Catch a Mouse? MTW1961 01-25-07 4
   RE: How to Catch a Mouse? Spanky68 01-25-07 6
       RE: How to Catch a Mouse? bystander 01-25-07 10
           RE: How to Catch a Mouse? Snidget 01-25-07 18
               RE: How to Catch a Mouse? MTW1961 01-25-07 22
                   RE: How to Catch a Mouse? Snidget 01-25-07 23
                   RE: How to Catch a Mouse? Seana 01-26-07 34
 RE: How to Catch a Mouse? CutsyTootsy 01-25-07 5
   RE: How to Catch a Mouse? bystander 01-25-07 9
       RE: How to Catch a Mouse? CutsyTootsy 01-25-07 16
           RE: How to Catch a Mouse? byoffer 01-26-07 28
               RE: How to Catch a Mouse? Spanky68 01-26-07 33
               RE: How to Catch a Mouse? bystander 01-26-07 39
 RE: How to Catch a Mouse? mrc 01-25-07 12
   RE: How to Catch a Mouse? emydi 01-25-07 13
   RE: How to Catch a Mouse? Spanky68 01-25-07 15
   RE: How to Catch a Mouse? woeisme1 01-25-07 21
 RE: How to Catch a Mouse? Prof_ Wagstaff 01-25-07 17
   RE: How to Catch a Mouse? Spanky68 01-25-07 19
 RE: How to Catch a Mouse? cahaya 01-25-07 24
   RE: How to Catch a Mouse? Silvergirl1 01-26-07 36
 RE: How to Catch a Mouse? kingfish 01-25-07 25
 RE: How to Catch a Mouse? frisky 01-25-07 26
   RE: How to Catch a Mouse? batts 01-26-07 27
   RE: How to Catch a Mouse? byoffer 01-26-07 29
   RE: How to Catch a Mouse? mrc 01-26-07 30
   Kitty responds to mouse request Prof_ Wagstaff 01-26-07 37
       RE: Kitty responds to mouse request Spanky68 01-26-07 43
 RE: How to Catch a Mouse? samboohoo 01-26-07 31
 RE: How to Catch a Mouse? Silvergirl1 01-26-07 32
   RE: How to Catch a Mouse? bystander 01-26-07 38
       RE: How to Catch a Mouse? Silvergirl1 01-26-07 42
 RE: How to Catch a Mouse? KeithFan 01-26-07 35
 RE: How to Catch a Mouse? Cyndimaus 01-26-07 40
 Our solution dragonflies 01-26-07 41
 RE: How to Catch a Mouse? StarryLuna 01-26-07 44
 Plan of Attack! bystander 01-26-07 45
   RE: Plan of Attack! Snidget 01-26-07 46
 Deathcount bystander 01-27-07 47
   "It's time to relocate!" Prof_ Wagstaff 01-27-07 48
   RE: Deathcount Wallflower66 01-27-07 52
 To Catch a Rodent RollDdice 01-27-07 49
   RE: To Catch a Rodent Cyndimaus 01-27-07 50
 ?? PepeLePew13 01-27-07 51
 Monday Morning Body Count bystander 01-29-07 53
   RE: Monday Morning Body Count kingfish 01-29-07 54
   RE: Monday Morning Body Count CTgirl 01-29-07 55
   RE: Monday Morning Body Count Snidget 01-29-07 56
   RE: Monday Morning Body Count Silvergirl1 01-29-07 57

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-25-07, 03:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
Eeeeeeek!

Personally? There are two pests you might find in a home that I absolutely refuse to deal with and one of them is the rodent (well, with the exception of weasels for which I have a curious fondness).

I'd call an exterminator to come and deal with it. With extreme prejudice. I have no love in my heart for mice, rats (with one rather large exception in Texas), or snakes. They all must die.

The strongest man in the world is he who stands alone. — Henrik Ibsen
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - Henry David Thoreau

01-25-07, 04:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bystander Click to send private message to bystander Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
Well I'm more OK with mice than I would be with roaches. If I had roaches I'd seriously consider moving.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 03:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
I bought one of those electric pulse thingees. It emits a sound you don't hear (it's okay for dogs and cats but not if you have hamsters or other rodent pets) which perturbs the rat or mouse enough to make it skedaddle.

No cruelty. No corpses. No half-dead animal in trap to dispose of yourself. I highly recommend.

It also appears to have eliminated my only-when-it-rains ant problem.

01-25-07, 04:03 PM (EST)
8. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
Interesting idea. Thanks. The only problem with that is I'd never truly be sure that I didn't have mice anymore.

Emily RugBurn 663 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

01-25-07, 04:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Emily%20RugBurn Click to send private message to Emily%20RugBurn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
"It emits a sound you don't hear..."

Unless you wear braces. I kid you not, when I was a 12-year-old brace-face, I visited my Nana's cottage and thought I was going crazy. I was the only person who could hear an obnoxious high-pitched hum. Finally, my Nana put two-and-two together and unplugged her sonic rodent repellent thingy and it stopped. Since I was the only person who could hear it, we figured my braces boosted the signal.

Brace-faces, beware!

Emily's RugBlog

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 04:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
Laurie Partridge? That you?

northernlights 5058 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 04:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail northernlights Click to send private message to northernlights Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
The electronic pulse thingys work great. We have about 4 of them plugged in at the cottage year round. I'm allergic to mice and get all wheezy and sneezy if they're in the vicinty so I know they work.

The best way to tell that there are no more mices is to invite me over. If I sneeze, they're still around.

Ginger hon, I'm so happy to hear your fur baby came home! *smooch*

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 03:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
A combo of poison and traps worked for me...

Tribe is far-out.

MTW1961 4029 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-25-07, 03:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTW1961 Click to send private message to MTW1961 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
I prefer the standard spring loaded trap. Effective, and it makes a satisfying "snap" sound when put into action.

Use peanut butter on the trap. Make the peanut butter hard to get to if they figure out how to eat it without tripping the trap.

Handcrafted by RollDDice!

Spanky68 8092 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 03:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spanky68 Click to send private message to Spanky68 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
I don't remember if you have kids, but if you have young ones, the spring traps might break small fingers. (and I know you wouldn't leave them in the open, but my little explorers can get into places I NEVER imagined they could go)

The poison sometimes means that they eat it and die in very obscure (and smelly) places. We had a rat die in the walls of an apartment we once rented and it STANK something fierce for 2-3 weeks throughout the place.

I think that the glue traps are best for small mice. Big traps for rats.

Flashy sig by RollDdice

01-25-07, 04:10 PM (EST)
10. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
My youngest is 8 so she's old enough to know not to touch. Plus, where I'm thinking of putting the traps the kids would never venture. They'd be too scared of finding a spider.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 04:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
I had some traps that worked well once. They had a shorter throw and you could drop the mouse out without touching it.

If you looked from the side it had an L shaped bar, so when it was loaded one cross piece to the other L was on the trap and one was up in the air. When triggered it would go to the other side and the part that was in the air could be used to release the mouse.

Peanut butter is the way to go, however in a greenhouse I worked in we had used the old fashioned traps for so long that the mice had evolved to where they could lick a trap clean without setting it off. We spent one macabre afternoon watching a mouse like a trap completely clean. One of the ones that if you breathed too hard near it would go off.

Good luck.

MTW1961 4029 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 05:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTW1961 Click to send private message to MTW1961 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
I had a hard time getting rid of a couple of mice last summer that figured out how to lick the trap clean without setting it off.

I was pretty full of myself when I finally figured out how to prevent the rat from just stealing the peanut butter until *someone* pointed out that *woohoo*, I had just proven I was smarter than a mouse.

*glares at youknowwho*

Handcrafted by RollDDice!

01-25-07, 05:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
While it may not sound like much, there are plenty of people who can't manage to out-smart a rodent. Most of whom seem to find their way onto reality TV at some point.

It's a tribe creation!

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-07, 09:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
What a mean and nasty person. Who would say such a thing?

Certainly whoever that was has redeemed hirself by now, right? Right?

CutsyTootsy 1795 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

01-25-07, 03:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CutsyTootsy Click to send private message to CutsyTootsy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
We tried the humane trap with the hopes of setting it free far away from our house but it never worked. We ended up with the old fashioned spring trap. Worked that night.

A genuine Arkie

01-25-07, 04:04 PM (EST)
9. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
Yeah, I really have no intent of using a humane trap. I just threw that out there as an option so I didn't look like a mean cruel animal hating bastard.

CutsyTootsy 1795 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

01-25-07, 04:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CutsyTootsy Click to send private message to CutsyTootsy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
Ha! We tried it because we had a 6 year old daughter with teary eyes asking about the cute little mouse like the one in her storybook.

A genuine Arkie

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-07, 08:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
I got one of the humane traps because I have a teary-eyed wife who keeps asking about the cute little mousey.

The mice we had seemed to be in the walls, so I put the trap up in a ceiling area where I had access. Problem was it was a real pain to check. So the humane trap caught 3 mice, and in the time between when they got into the trap and when I checked the trap they ate each other, and all died. Quite gross actually.

I am thinking that the snap traps are actually more humane, and a lot cheaper.

01-26-07, 09:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Spanky68 Click to send private message to Spanky68 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
got one of the humane traps because I have a teary-eyed wife who keeps asking about the cute little mousey.

I blame Tom & Jerry for this ugly, pro-mouse propaganda.

01-26-07, 11:34 AM (EST)
39. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
DW doesn't mind how I get rid of them, just so I do! The kids don't even know we have them so all the better for me! Of course they may wonder what that loud metallic snapping noise is coming from the basement.

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 04:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
1. Find a cat named Tom.

2. Find a cat named Sylvester.

3. Find a coyote named Wile E. Coyote.

4. Buy a shotgun.

Ferociously purrfected by thndrkttn

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 04:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
diamond loved to catch mice She never killed them, just played around with them...

emy not so much unless it's a catnip play mouse...my two new little ones...they love their play mice

01-25-07, 04:39 PM (EST)
15. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
I've told the story on OT before, but for the newbies, here is the recrap:

In college my roomies and I had mice in our rent house. Poison got the momma mouse. The young ones came out to forage on their own. They knew to run from us but weren't good at escaping. We killed a half dozen of them in unusual ways. I got one with a plastic baseball bat and a roomie got one with a fencing foil (thinkin of ya, Slice). One of my cruel roomies used a can of hairspray and a match to ignite one of the little buggers (though I don't condone such behavior or the weird odor it creates).

I doubt I could move quickly enough to whack a mouse today. That quick lateral 1st step is the 1st thing age robs us of.

Flashy sig by RollDdice

woeisme1 4081 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 04:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail woeisme1 Click to send private message to woeisme1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
Bwahahaha, I love your sense of humor! I was wondering why no one had mentioned a cat yet and here you are. I have cats and no mice but they also tend to go after the geckos and ferrel chickens, which drives me crazy, but we also have a lack of "Palmetto bugs" (read humongous flying roaches) so it's not all bad.

Good luck with whatever means you choose to eradicate the little buggers.

Handcrafted by RollDdice, who rocks my world as much as IceCat. Bouncy by Mystic

I dont hate mice, only the ones that try to live in my house, they MUST die, mmmmk?

Woe's world

Prof_ Wagstaff 4196 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 04:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Prof_%20Wagstaff Click to send private message to Prof_%20Wagstaff Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
*sigh*
Fvckin' vermon!

We live in the woods. EVERY fall the little rodents find their way into the warmth of our basement. Every fall I wage The War of the Field Mice. It usually lasts 2 weeks, unless they do a surge. Then it takes 3.
I've tried every mouse catching product out there, with the exception of the ones that let them live another day.

They can actually get off the glue traps if they have enough time. Even if they're still stuck when you "collect" them in the morning, they are still alive. Nasty little buggers!
I don not recommend poison. They are supposed to get thirsty after ingesting it and head outside. If they choose to die in your basement they will do so in a hard to find spot and will stink to high heaven for about 2 weeks <voice of experience>.

The old fashion spring traps work the best. They are usually cheap at 2 for a dollar. Use peanut butter. You'll go downstairs in the morning to a dead mouse and can throw it and the trap away. If they figure out how to eat the peanut butter without setting off the trap, put it on the underside of the lever. SNAP!!!
I caught 4 in one night this year. Aaaaarrrrgh!
Best of luck.

I hate them meeces to pieces!

Tribephylanthropy!

01-25-07, 04:50 PM (EST)
19. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
If they choose to die in your basement they will do so in a hard to find spot and will stink to high heaven for about 2 weeks <voice of experience>.

Word.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 05:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
I posted a thread some months ago (maybe even a year now) about this. I don't have the heart to outright kill the critters as they're just trying to find a place to live and stay alive like the rest of us.

I went through all the trouble to physically capture the mouse in my house in Malaysia. First, I flushed it out from its hiding place, cornered it, and then talked to it in a soothing voice to the point where it relaxed and let me flip an overturned bucket over it. I slid a piece of cardboard under the bucket to seal the trap, then walked outside for several hundred yards and released it. It gave me a look for a few seconds and then vanished into the underbrush, never to return.

Of the options presented so far, for humane reasons, I'd go with the electronic (actually ultrasonic) solution. I don't blame anyone for taking more drastic measures, though, particularly where there's an infestation of them and nothing else works.

Wayang Kulit puppet show by Tribe.

I'm merciless with cockroaches, though. After one flew at me in a dive-bomb attack and later one crawled over me as I slept in a relative's house, it was war with no prisoners.

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-07, 09:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"

You are just so Zen. ;)

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 09:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
Lots of mice catching experience herebouts. Makes sense I guess, with all the feline-ish peeps. Skunks included.

For me, the large sized spring traps work best, even for regular sized mice. They can often defeat the small traps.

And the big traps wack'em good!

But the main thing is to get the after little guy quickly, because if you don't, one will become a brood, and the problem will get out of hand. And no matter how cute they are, the baby mice have to go too.

Set several of the spring traps about (no toddlers allowed) peanut butter is good, even regular ole cheese works. Actually almost anything works as bait.

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 11:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
*dramatically clears throat*

Rolly made this.

batts 1731 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

01-26-07, 06:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail batts Click to send private message to batts Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
LOL

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-07, 08:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
Frisque, you one hysteriqual feline.

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-07, 08:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
Got a hairball, hun?

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

01-26-07, 10:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Prof_%20Wagstaff Click to send private message to Prof_%20Wagstaff Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "Kitty responds to mouse request"
"Mice? I'm tryin' to nap here. Get a trap. This is what I think of your mice!"

Tribephylanthropy!

01-26-07, 11:47 AM (EST)
43. "RE: Kitty responds to mouse request"
it's rained like a monsoon here for the past couple of weeks. So some of the field mice are coming in out of the rain. When we got home from church Sunday the cat (he of the scratch and kick) had beheaded one of them right on our back steps. I swept the body parts off into the grass before the kids came and explored them.

Good cat!

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-07, 08:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
Mice are vile and putrid and carry nasty germs. I personally don't find it humane to let them go because they'll end up somewhere else - like someone else's house.

I hate 'em. Absolutley hate 'em. I have avoided the downstairs of my house before for days when we had a mouse. I have also been on the verge of moving out.

The spring traps probably are the best for all of the other reasons given in this thread (with the exception of the noise thingy, which I've never tried). Peanut butter or melted chocolate is good.

It's also very important to make sure you sanitize once the little rodent is gone. SANITIZE, SANITIZE, SANITIZE!!! <-------- says the woman who has thrown out sets of dishes, completely emptied pantries, etc.

Thanks Tribe!

Don't blame the coutour.

01-26-07, 09:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"

First thoughts: Get a cat, ASAP!

Don't use those glue traps. The mouse could get caught and cry while it waits to dies. DH said he tried to unstick the mouse before letting it outside and it was horrible.

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but if the mice are present in your home, you either have had them run indoors when the door has been opened or you have small holes somewhere in you home that the mice can come in. Check for any holes, and fill them with steel wool, because mice won't try to chew through it.

Good luck.

Did you get any snow in Shrewsbury?

01-26-07, 11:31 AM (EST)
38. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
I haven't looked for holes yet but I am not surprised that a mouse could infiltrate fort bystander. We do have a crawl space under part of the house that seems less than secure especially since there is access to the basement through a slab of plywood screwed to a few joists. I'll have to do a thorough evaluation at some point.

Unfortunately for the kids it snowed like crazy but it all blew away. School's on time today, YAY! Only a minor dusting remaining.

01-26-07, 11:46 AM (EST)
42. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"

It looked like a blizzard out there at one point, but it didn't last long enough for a good snow, so we got just a dusting here, too. Most of the snow must have stayed in WV and western PA. It was 9 degrees F this morning. Brrrrr!

KeithFan 7422 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-07, 09:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
Step 1: Find and eliminate with traps.

Step 2: Figure out where they got in and correct. In older homes this can be difficult.

Step 3: Put out poison bait in weatherproof containers around your home. Check frequently if it has been gotten into. Make sure next fall when it first starts to cool down at night to have plenty of fresh tasty poison outside for the critters to get so they get dead before they come inside.

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-26-07, 11:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
I have never been in your house.

I've had good luck in the past with the traps that suffocate them. I just put peanut butter as the bait and they seem to like that. (on the other hand, I think I have a smart mouse in my house right now. I've put out the traps where I've seen the droppings and it never gets caught. I move the trap and the mouse droppings are back in that area when they were missing while the trap was there. I'll get it eventually!)

sig courtesy of Cygnus

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-07, 11:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "Our solution"
Funny this is brought up today. We have a mouse problem here at work. A lot of people leave food in their desks, which makes a smörgåsbord for the little rodents. When mouse droppings are found across desks, people go crazy. So our head mouse hunter put out the spring traps. I don't like them, but they are effective, and kill the mice instantly, or so I thought.

Earlier this week we've disposed of 4 mice. 1 trap was sprung, but nothing was caught, so we figured 1 was left. This morning our office manager looked to see if there was one in the trap under her desk, and the trap was GONE.

So after much searching, we found said trap and dead mouse about 50 feet away, near the door to the warehouse. Poor thing dragged it across the carpet, then finally must have expired of a heart attack. Poor thing.

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-07, 04:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail StarryLuna Click to send private message to StarryLuna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "RE: How to Catch a Mouse?"
Heh heh. We've killed one in our new house so far. It took us almost two months to catch the little bastard though.

We first spotted his cocky self in mid-November. Just casually sauntering around the house. DH actually chased it into a closet and tried to beat it with a hammer, but it got away. The next day, he picked up some of the traditional spring traps and some poison. He put the poison under the house when he crawled down there to move some cable lines. I'm not sure if it's killed any mice down there or not. We haven't really had any of that "dead vermin" stench yet.

Anyhoo, the mouse did eat the peanut butter off one of the traps by the stove. DH had another trap behind the couch. By Christmas, we still hadn't caught anything, although the traps remained loaded throughout the house. Two weeks after Christmas, my aunt, uncle, brother, and father visited for our annual little holiday get-together. The day they all went home, DH and I began taking down the Christmas decorations. After putting everything away, I vacuumed the living room and spotted mouse carcus in the trap behind the couch. I screamed my head off, for which DH laughed at me. The funny thing is I KNOW that trap was still empty the night before. I remember glancing at it as I was making up the couch for my Dad. He and my brother both slept in the living room that night and neither one of them remembers hearing the trap *SNAP*. I even called Dad and asked him about it and he said "Well, I do remember hearing something weird..." LOL.

Luna's Eclipses

01-26-07, 09:00 PM (EST)
45. "Plan of Attack!"
To all you furry vermin lovers, please read no farther......

I visited the Depot of the Home today and purchased a few metal spring traps. At this very moment, two are loaded with peanut butter in the basement and I am anxiously awaiting that lovely SNAP sound.

Can't wait!!! I'll keep ya posted! Thanks for all the great stories and advice!

"...an educated, erudite, neanderthal, socially polished and a very accomplished example of mouse-killing upper crust society" - byofferically enhanced Kingfish

01-26-07, 09:04 PM (EST)
46. "RE: Plan of Attack!"
May the mouse hunt go well!

It's a tribe creation!

01-27-07, 09:36 AM (EST)
47. "Deathcount"
Mice - 1
Bystander's - 0

So far so good!

Licked one of the traps clean without setting it off but the second got him. Now, for the rest of them (if they dare)!

Bwahahahaha </evil laugh>

01-27-07, 10:19 AM (EST)
48. ""It's time to relocate!""
"Here comes Bystander!"

Tribephylanthropy!
Remember, there is ALWAYS more than one.

Wallflower66 2446 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

01-27-07, 11:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wallflower66 Click to send private message to Wallflower66 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
52. "RE: Deathcount"
Oh No! Not Mr. Jingles! Where's John Coffey when we need him?

RollDdice 5949 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-07, 12:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RollDdice Click to send private message to RollDdice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
49. "To Catch a Rodent"
Foolproof (and Network approved) method for catching mice:

1. Engage mouse in internet chat rooms. Mouse thinks it's talking with under-age female mouse, or perhaps a piece of cheese.
2. Invite mouse inside house. Tell mouse to pour lemonade.
3. You (in the guise of reporter) come in from other room and interview mouse about its intentions. Try to shame it and make it cry.
4. Arrest the mouse, slap on teeny-tiny mouse handcuffs and lead it away.

Courtesy of your snarky yet sympathetic RollDdice.

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-27-07, 12:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
50. "RE: To Catch a Rodent"
I'm not that kind of mouse, you know!

sig courtesy of Cygnus

PepeLePew13 26135 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-07, 03:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
51. "??"
I don't understand how you can call this a "vile creature?"

Look at its lamb-like innocence!

A Tribe siggie
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

01-29-07, 07:54 AM (EST)
53. "Monday Morning Body Count"
Mice - 2
Bystander's - 0

In the "Close Only Counts in Horseshoes" category

Bystander's finger - 1 near miss

So 2, that's it right? No more? Sure there's always more than 1 but its usually just 2, right?

*crosses fingers for no more missing peanut butter*

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

01-29-07, 08:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
54. "RE: Monday Morning Body Count"
Maybe. But keep your traps out for a week or so, because if there were two there could be a brood, and the baby mice will leave the nest (or burrow or whatever) when they get hungry.

CTgirl 8013 desperate attention whore postings

01-29-07, 08:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
55. "RE: Monday Morning Body Count"
Oh yes, there definately could be more!

01-29-07, 09:09 AM (EST)
56. "RE: Monday Morning Body Count"
There could be more, and if you haven't closed up where they can get in it may be an occasionally on-going more.

You want to keep a trap where you caught the mice already, but you may also want to try a few other locations if you can.

01-29-07, 05:40 PM (EST)
57. "RE: Monday Morning Body Count"

Hopefully that will be the last of the mice, unless you've had a mamma mouse move in when she was preggers.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •