The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Does the popular vote determine the winner in the final 2?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Dancing with the Stars Forum (Protected)
Original message

MarkP 318 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

11-14-06, 10:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MarkP Click to send private message to MarkP Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Does the popular vote determine the winner in the final 2?"
Without even knowing who won the judges vote tonight (tivo), is it true that the winner of the popular vote automatically wins the finals? In reading how it works, it seems that the winner of the judge's votes get 2 points and the other gets one...and the winner of the popular vote gets 2 points and the other gets one. Also in case of a tie the winner of the popular vote wins. Could this be remotely possible? Wouldn't this mean that the judges scores are meaningless? Am I missing something? Also, if thats the case, since it is a fact that Jerry won the popular vote last 3 weeks leading up to the finals last year, wouldn't it stand to reason that another football player who is a much better dancer will easily get the fan support to win this?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Does the popular vote determine... MarkP 11-14-06 1
 RE: Does the popular vote determine... finallytyping 11-15-06 2
   RE: Does the popular vote determine... Round Robin 11-15-06 3
       RE: Does the popular vote determine... nogwart 11-15-06 4
   RE: Does the popular vote determine... SurvivorBlows 11-15-06 7
       RE: Does the popular vote determine... geg6 11-15-06 8
 RE: Does the popular vote determine... seahorse 11-15-06 5
   RE: Does the popular vote determine... leesa 11-15-06 6
       RE: Does the popular vote determine... mistyrose52 11-15-06 9
           RE: Does the popular vote determine... leesa 11-15-06 10
               RE: Does the popular vote determine... nogwart 11-15-06 11
                   RE: Does the popular vote determine... leesa 11-15-06 12
           RE: Does the popular vote determine... SurvivorBlows 11-15-06 13
               RE: Does the popular vote determine... finallytyping 11-15-06 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

MarkP 318 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

11-14-06, 11:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MarkP Click to send private message to MarkP Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Does the popular vote determine the winner in the final 2?"
I just realized I was reading last year's scoring system. With that said when it comes to the final 2 at least it is possible for the person who loses the public vote still to win the competition. I guess that means if Emmit does indeed have a bigger fan base than Mario then in order for Mario to win he would have had to crush Emmit tonight (fat chance of that with the way the judges are keeping things close).

If Jerry won the fan vote over Stacy and Drew 3 weeks in a row I can't possibly see how Mario could win the fan vote over Emmit -could he? Unless of course Stacy and Drew's votes were being split. Did they even announce the actual fan votes for the public?

finallytyping 401 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-15-06, 02:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail finallytyping Click to send private message to finallytyping Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Does the popular vote determine the winner in the final 2?"
> Wouldn't this mean that
>the judges scores are meaningless?

Just like last week, yes. I was not surprised at all that
Emmett and Cheryl got a 9 and Mario and Karina got a 10 on
the last dance to tie it up.
It is the intention of the producers to put the results in
the hands of the telephone votes. They don't really care
who wins, as long as there is a record breaking amount of
calls so they can use it to sell advertising rates for next
season.

What, me cynical?

Round Robin 2914 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

11-15-06, 10:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Round%20Robin Click to send private message to Round%20Robin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Does the popular vote determine the winner in the final 2?"
Cynical you might be, but the 2 of them are so close that the tie is fair. I thought the judges were a little too generous with the 10's, but a tie at 86-86 or 87-87 would have been spot on.

nogwart 30 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

11-15-06, 11:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nogwart Click to send private message to nogwart Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Does the popular vote determine the winner in the final 2?"
I couldn't agree more that the judges were tossing out 10's like Halloween candy. I know barely anything about dancing, and I saw a handful of "whoopsies" from both sides. IMHO, the difficulty and precision of Mario's routine outshined Emmitt's by far, but Emmitt's popularity will crown him I'm sure. Oh well.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-15-06, 12:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Does the popular vote determine the winner in the final 2?"
>They don't really care who wins, as long as there
>is a record breaking amount of calls so they can use it
>to sell advertising rates for next season.

It's true that they really don't care who wins, but the number of telephone votes cast (or online votes for that matter) doesn't have any impact on what ABC is going to charge for a TV commercial spot next season. The commercial rates are determined by how many and what types of people (demographically) are watching the TV show, not by how many of those viewers are actually voting.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

11-15-06, 01:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Does the popular vote determine the winner in the final 2?"
Exactly why I'm really glad that my lack of viewing has consequences.

I have sworn off shows like this and American Idol for exactly the same reason. The American public, or at least the ones who would actually waste their time voting on something like this, have no expertise and, generally, little taste. And pretty much the lowest common denominator is the most popular. I'll never watch another show in which the TV audience gets to decide the outcome.

Democrats make better lovers. Whoever heard of a good piece of elephant?

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

11-15-06, 11:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Does the popular vote determine the winner in the final 2?"
The vote should be similar to how they vote for diving. A score for the dance and a score for the difficulty. Mario can do moves that Emmitt can only dream about, but Emmitt will win based on popularity.

Slice & Dice Sigpic Chop Shop 2005

leesa 30 desperate attention whore postings

11-15-06, 12:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail leesa Click to send private message to leesa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Does the popular vote determine the winner in the final 2?"
Yep, I think Emmitt deserves to win though. Like babygirl said yesterday - "Mario might have dimples, but you have class."

mistyrose52 795 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

11-15-06, 01:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mistyrose52 Click to send private message to mistyrose52 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Does the popular vote determine the winner in the final 2?"
Well, all I know is that Mario's phone lines were tied up most of the time I tried calling. What does that mean?? Diddly, I'm sure! LOL.

I think it's going to be a surprise either way. I don't care if Daddy has class, Mario is definitely the true winner here. As the other poster said, he can do moves that Emmitt only dreams about! BUT, you have to consider the fact that there is at least a 15 year advantage for Mario, too.

Having said that, I'll be happy for either of them. I think the show has been pretty fair all around. Unless, like John O'Hearly, one of them decides to challenge the votes, then I'll just have to put my fingers up to my forehead and say "LOSER"!!!

11-15-06, 02:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail leesa Click to send private message to leesa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Does the popular vote determine the winner in the final 2?"
LAST EDITED ON 11-15-06 AT 02:17 PM (EST)

>Well, all I know is that
>Mario's phone lines were tied
>up most of the time
>I tried calling. What does
>that mean?? Diddly, I'm sure!
>LOL.
>
>I think it's going to be
>a surprise either way.
>I don't care if Daddy
>has class, Mario is definitely
>the true winner here. As
>the other poster said, he
>can do moves that Emmitt
>only dreams about! BUT, you
>have to consider the fact
>that there is at least
>a 15 year advantage for
>Mario, too.
>
>Having said that, I'll be happy
>for either of them. I
>think the show has been
>pretty fair all around.
>Unless, like John O'Hearly, one
>of them decides to challenge
>the votes, then I'll just
>have to put my fingers
>up to my forehead and
>say "LOSER"!!!

yeah, I'm sure that's what all the haters say. Oh, and by the way, he and Emmitt are what 3 years apart? (that's if you were talking of an age advantage) Lopez is 34, Emmitt 37. That was quite an insult. Ouch. Mario has more of a feminine body structure though, easier to move, oh, and it does help that he's had prior dance training.

nogwart 30 desperate attention whore postings

11-15-06, 02:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nogwart Click to send private message to nogwart Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Does the popular vote determine the winner in the final 2?"
>yeah, I'm sure that's what all
>the haters say.

Hmmmm..... Pot, I'd like you to meet Kettle. Kettle, ...Pot.

11-15-06, 02:51 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Does the popular vote determine the winner in the final 2?"
>>yeah, I'm sure that's what all
>>the haters say.
>
>Hmmmm..... Pot, I'd like you to
>meet Kettle. Kettle, ...Pot.
>

huh? OMG somebody FINALLY found me out!

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

11-15-06, 04:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Does the popular vote determine the winner in the final 2?"
LAST EDITED ON 11-15-06 AT 04:19 PM (EST)

> BUT, you have to consider the fact
>that there is at least a 15 year advantage for
>Mario, too.

I think you're letting the facts that Emmitt is "retired" and Mario is best known for playing a high school kid really give you a false impression of their true ages.

Emmitt was born May 15, 1969: http://www.realitytvworld.com/realitytvdb/emmitt-smith/person-864

Mario was born October 10, 1973:
http://www.realitytvworld.com/realitytvdb/mario-lopez/person-866

There's less than a 5 year difference between the two of them, never mind 15.

finallytyping 401 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-15-06, 05:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail finallytyping Click to send private message to finallytyping Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Does the popular vote determine the winner in the final 2?"
I can understand the misperception. In my mind, football
players are always older than I and actors who played youthful
characters no matter how long ago are always younger than
I. The bizarro world of my mind, I guess.

Emmit's size makes him look older than he is and Mario's
immaturity makes him seem younger than he is.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •