The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Costume bashing anyone?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Dancing with the Stars Forum (Protected)
Original message

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-12-06, 05:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Costume bashing anyone?"
First, I find it extremely amusing that my 6 year old daughter told my mother that the DWS costumes are "inappropriate."

More importantly, however, is there not a single mirror in Sara's dressing room? How can she go out wearing such hideous outfits week after week? This week's dress couldn't have been worse if it had deliberately been designed to make her look 3 months pregnant with a 4 foot wide @$$, not to mention the uniboob.

On the other end of the spectrum, Joey totally has the arm pr0n thing going on. I have to believe that an athlete like Emmitt has a relatively nice bod. When do we get to see him in a sleeveless shirt?

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Costume bashing anyone? StarryLuna 10-13-06 1
 RE: Costume bashing anyone? Cyndimaus 10-14-06 2
 RE: Costume bashing anyone? Capn2patch 10-15-06 3
   RE: Costume bashing anyone? qwertypie 10-16-06 4
       RE: Costume bashing anyone? Capn2patch 10-16-06 5
           RE: Costume bashing anyone? qwertypie 10-16-06 6
               RE: Costume bashing anyone? Capn2patch 10-16-06 7
                   RE: Costume bashing anyone? Crownwinner 10-18-06 8
                       ??? Capn2patch 10-18-06 9
                           RE: ??? mistyrose52 10-18-06 10
 RE: Costume bashing anyone? dancer53 10-20-06 11
   RE: Costume bashing anyone? qwertypie 10-20-06 12
   RE: Costume bashing anyone? Capn2patch 10-20-06 13
       RE: Costume bashing anyone? qwertypie 10-23-06 14
 RE: Costume bashing anyone? lynwit 11-14-06 15
   RE: Costume bashing anyone? jenniferlyn 11-15-06 17
   RE: Costume bashing anyone? prosecutor 11-15-06 18
 Finally! udg 11-14-06 16
   RE: Finally! leesa 11-15-06 19

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

10-13-06, 04:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail StarryLuna Click to send private message to StarryLuna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Costume bashing anyone?"
Honestly, I've often wondered how little say the stars have in choosing their costumes. I think a lot of the choice is made by wardrobe and also their professional partners. I seem to remember a clip last year where it looked like Louis was choosing Lisa's costume.

Luna's Eclipses

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings

10-14-06, 02:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Costume bashing anyone?"
I've often wondered about the costumes. Seems that they should fit the dance and often they don't. Sometimes it seems they are trying to wear as little as possible (women). I know you need freedom of movement but I think it goes too far sometimes.

I did love Jerry and Kym's costume this last time. Went perfect with their dance!

siggie by ARnutz
bounced by Icey
Maus Musings

Capn2patch 2785 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

10-15-06, 09:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Capn2patch Click to send private message to Capn2patch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Costume bashing anyone?"
DW thinks I tune in for the dancing. The costumes are why I'm there... I miss Willa already.

Flashing the Fall siggie

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-16-06, 01:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Costume bashing anyone?"
SNORT!
Maybe that is why DH tunes in as well

Yes It's Vintage Tribephyl!

10-16-06, 03:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Capn2patch Click to send private message to Capn2patch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Costume bashing anyone?"
Maybe that is why DH tunes in as well

Ask DH to go make popcorn when Jerry comes on with his squeeze. Betch'a he says "hang on a minute".

Flashing the Fall siggie

10-16-06, 08:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Costume bashing anyone?"
Great idea! I'll let you know what happens.

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

10-16-06, 08:36 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Costume bashing anyone?"
Great. I'll wait with baited breath.

Flashing the Fall siggie

Crownwinner 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-18-06, 09:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Crownwinner Click to send private message to Crownwinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Costume bashing anyone?"
I don't really like bashing on boards. I don't mind opinions that don't get mean.

I think a few costumes are slight in material. But I have to admit that most are really beautiful. Absolutely stunninly beautiful!!! I LOVE THE VIVID colors!

10-18-06, 01:49 PM (EST)
9. "???"
How is this bashing?

Flashing the Fall siggie

mistyrose52 795 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-18-06, 02:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mistyrose52 Click to send private message to mistyrose52 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: ???"
Yeah-I don't get how anyone is bashing!

IMHO, some of those women's costumes are way over the top. For instance, Monique, when she almost lost her bottom! And the first season when Kelly M. almost lost her top!

I know there can be wardrobe malfunctions, but hey! Enough is enough!!

As for MY DH-he has even said, 'I don't know how those men can even concentrate when the women come out dressed like THAT!'. So, see??? The men really ARE paying attention-HA!

dancer53 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-20-06, 11:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dancer53 Click to send private message to dancer53 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Costume bashing anyone?"
As an "older" lady who competitively dances...the point of the costumes is to draw attention to the dancer. Freedom of movement has very little to do with it. Dancing is a showpiece of the dancer and their dancing skills...what better way to draw the attention of the judge than to have on a brightly colored and stoned costume? Especially when the floor is crowded with up to 20 couples at a time!

I agree with the person that thinks the costumes are beautiful, as does my husband who competes with me. As he says, it is like a fairytale seeing all of the ladies and gentlemen dressed in clothes that glimmer and shine and flow so beautifully as they glide around the floor. He loves the fact that all of the ladies look so glamorous, so totally different from our everyday world.

The rhythm costumes are always outlandish and are fun to see how they move during each dance. Sometimes the outfit moves more than the dancer, which can also be a good thing. If the lady or gentelman has the body and are of an age that complements the costume, they should go for it. Different body types and different age categories call for different costume styles. Not everybody can wear everything. The professional dancers that I know realize this about themselves and try to dress accordingly. Sometimes they miss the mark, as do we all, even in our everyday attire.

As for pieces of the costume not staying on...that is the costumer's fault. Randall makes all of the costumes for this show and he should know better! He's been making dancing costumes for a long long time. In his defense...he is making all of these outfits for these folks in one week's time. Perhaps the contestants need to remember to use double sided tape! When one's heel gets caught in the hemline, things do tend to be pulled downward, taped or not.

Perhaps the little girl's mother who thought the costumes were inappropriate should not be watching the show. Either that, or her mother should explain that this is exactly that...a show. More specifically, a dance show. Not a docudrama, or a night-time soap opera, or a more age appropriate program. The mother always has the option of watching something else that would not offend her sense of propriety.

10-20-06, 03:37 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Costume bashing anyone?"
Hi Dancer53 and welcome to the boards!

I agree with many of the points you have made.

I would like to add my $0.02

I agree that when you are competing in a flight with other couples, it is important to be noticed by the judges (hence the day-glo hair colour, gravity defying hairstyles, etc.) Except for this weeks' group number (which I will not be able to see until tomorrow - BOOO CTV!), the couples have been dancing solo.

IMO the costumes are supposed to set the tone almost as much as the music. I thought many of the costumes fell short of the mark. Sara's Paso Double costume - tho' it fit well with the music (which was the HUGE mistake in my opinion)- was too soft and flowy for a Paso. I thought it would have been great for a rhumba (especially back in the good old days when the rhumba was less about speed and more about romance). It would take an extremely strong and confident dancer to be able to pull off that Paso routine. Willa's waltz outfit was breathtaking - very elegant, really drew the audience in. It was hard to focus on any flaws she made, it was very easy to get swept up in the dream. Monique's and Vivica's did not have the same impact (I think they also danced a waltz, but forgive me if I get the details a little mixed up, I am doing this from memory). Monique did a smooth routine in a two piece outfit and Vivica had a one piece with major cut-outs around the torso, so it almost looked like a two piece. These dresses are unforgiving. Any posture problems, torso mis-alignment, or breaking at the hip is going to become glaringly obvious. Again, JMO, but I think a well chosen costume can hide the shortcomings of the dancer.

I also think some of the costumes have hindered the stars. If you are catching your heel in your hem, worried about popping various body parts, you are not going to be 100% focussed on the performance. The professional dancers would be able to block out wardrobe distractions, but I haven't really noticed any costuming problems with them (except for Kim's showgirl hat).

Half of the marks come from the audience, many of who do not have the dance training, but knows what entertains them. I just would assume that the outfits would be chosen to present the dancers in the best possible light. But, considering Sara had huge audience support, and I thought the worst costumes, I guess it didn't really make a difference.

I also agree that many of the professional dancers in competition will wear similiar or skimpier outfits. Because they are so competent in their mastery of the dance, the outfit complements the routine rather than distracts. The strentgh of their dancing comes through rather than ouvert sexuality.
With some of the star's performances, because the dancing ability is weaker than a professional, more of a sleaze vibe was coming through (again, JMO).

And, as a mother of an 7 year old girl I always cheer when I hear a young girl thinking that exposing too much skin is inappropriate. One less battle (I could rant on and on about the sleazy clothes that are being marketed to elementary school aged girls, but that would be too long and off topic)

Thanks for your thought-provoking post,

Q

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

10-20-06, 08:21 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Costume bashing anyone?"
Hi dancer53, and let me also welcome you to RTVW. I enjoyed reading your perspective on dancers' costumes.

Still waiting to hear what Q's DH says. What time on CTV?

10-23-06, 11:13 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Costume bashing anyone?"

I'll have to let you know next Saturday. He missed the show because he had to work late. But I was so stunned by the Paso fiasco that I would have forgot to ask him anyway

lynwit 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

11-14-06, 10:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lynwit Click to send private message to lynwit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Costume bashing anyone?"
I find the women's costume tastefree. Why do they think by having cutouts, back scoops to their butts and cleavage til tomorrow make them dance better ??? I am sure that the men would find it easier to slide their arms around the lady's waist without sticking to the sweaty bodies. The only costumes that came close to attracive and stylish were the ball gowns, but some of them wer cut out, cut up and cut down. None of the men showed more skin than necessary. WHY DO THE WOMEN THINK THEY HAVE TO ??? AFTER ALL, IT ONLY MAKES THEM LOOK TRAMPY.

jenniferlyn 147 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-15-06, 00:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jenniferlyn Click to send private message to jenniferlyn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Costume bashing anyone?"
Talk about a trampy, ugly, needs to be thrown in the "TRASHY" outfit of Cheryl's during the freestyle dance!!! IMHO, I also have to throw in there that their final routine reminded me of Stacy Keibler's freestyle dance last season, full of easy, 80's (or 70's for Stacy) type dance moves that anyone would be able to pull off after a couple weeks of practice. I expected WAY more from them for the dance they wanted to leave their last impression with!

prosecutor 449 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-15-06, 09:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail prosecutor Click to send private message to prosecutor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Costume bashing anyone?"
>>>AFTER
>ALL, IT ONLY MAKES THEM
>LOOK TRAMPY.

Not to me it makes them look hot hot hot
and make anyone want to go learn all that
ball room dancing.
Now Karina's freestyle costume whoa. She shook
that little butt all in Mario's face last night
in her skimpy little teddy outfit whoa. Now that
was too hot to handle. Now I could see if you
wanted to trash that outfit.

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings

11-14-06, 11:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Finally!"
Emmitt gave us arm pr0n x 2 tonight!

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

leesa 30 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

11-15-06, 10:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail leesa Click to send private message to leesa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Finally!"
>Emmitt gave us arm pr0n x
>2 tonight!
>
>
>Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop
>Shop 2004

>

IMO Cheryl and Emmitt dominated last night. I loved the freestyle dance, I think it was probably Emmitt's best dance to date. He's a big guy and it was AMAZING to see him move like that. GO EMMITT AND CHERYL!!!!!

P.S. Did ya'll see how Mario tried to steal some move ideas for their samba from Emmitt? Ugh...

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •